ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam pregame prognosis!

Jason Llewellyn and Kaden Helms were both 4-star TEs, 6'5 260 and 6'5 235. Are they hurt? In the doghouse? I don't even see their names on the depth chart. I thought Joe Jon Finley was a good hire, but he has plenty of talent in that room with zero production.

We need the TE's to get involved but more, they need to learn how to block. Stogner wiffed on so many plays.

I think with OU headed to the SEC that OUs NC hopes are completely gone for the next few years if what we are seeing now continues. OU may be mired in many 8 -4 type seasons with an occasional 10 plus win year.

It looks like OU is headed for some dark days. I am only 64 but like you I now eonder if OU will ever make it to the top of the mountain again in Football. Thank goodness for Softball and PG.
I feel exactly as you do. I’m not going to worry myself with it. I’ve already lived through great times for OU sports and that can’t ever be taken from me. What happens in the future and how long I get to enjoy watching OU compete will just be more blessings. BOOMER!!

59, I think you are being premature on your assessment of OU’s football future.
You know this team’s transition won’t happen overnight.
Venables deserves our support and our patience.
Maybe I am and I am not giving up on BV but right now I am like many others in wondering if he will be a good HC over the long haul.

After going back and watching that last drive again I found 3 different plays and 3 different people to blame. After picking up 20 yards with Stoops across the middle. Took a shot deep with Anderson incomplete.
2nd down deep crosser earlier in the game ran this play and DB's collided and Anderson was wide open. This time they do not collide Anderson is double-covered. Stoops on the other hand had a step on his guy and probably should have gotten the ball. Thompson is also behind the coverage deep but DG doesn't have the arm strength for that throw. Blame DG for a misread. 3rd down play, several things here 1st why is rb so close to LOS, LB is on the line to blitz, and no one is covering the RB (RB screen would have been a perfect call here) Lebby motions TE over which brings basically 2 guys into that zone, guy covering TE and a safety walked down. pass caught by Farooq at 46 yardline, but that safety who walked down made the tackle. No to mention the single WR got inside position on DB and ball probably should have gone to him, Blame on Lebby no need to motion TE. 4th down here is where some will disagree, it's not a bad play call. I believe Stoops is at fault. looks like he had the option to go in or go out he chose out and was wrong, if he went in probably pick up the first down. After 3 steps Stoops studders like he is deciding which way to go DG has ball up ready to throw, I believe Stoops made the wrong read so fault on him.

Reactions: 8085sooner
Gabriel’s biggest problem is he followed Mayfield, Murray, Hurts and Williams. He’s nothing close to any of them but that’s a pretty tall order for most quarterbacks. We’re all counting on Jackson Arnold to step in and take up the torch but wasn’t Rattler supposed to be that guy? We’ll find out next year because Dillion is gone after this season. At least away from quarterbacking OU.

Last edited:
If he does and wins the starting job at QB again then Arnold is not ready yet.
As AIsooner said, Arnold isn't going to sit another year. If Gabriel comes back then I doubt Arnold even stays in the offseason. If he is as good as we all think he is I wouldn't blame him at all. I think DG is a great kid in life from the stories I have heard but he isn't a NC caliber QB. Is Arnold? The verdict is still out but from all accounts I think he will be or at least be a game changer.

Reactions: iasooner2000
As AIsooner said, Arnold isn't going to sit another year. If Gabriel comes back then I doubt Arnold even stays in the offseason. If he is as good as we all think he is I wouldn't blame him at all. I think DG is a great kid in life from the stories I have heard but he isn't a NC caliber QB. Is Arnold? The verdict is still out but from all accounts I think he will be or at least be a game changer.
I am all for JA being the guy next season and wished he had gotten more playing time this season but too many close games kept that from happening.
Pretty sure DG has 1 yr left and if he comes back what will the Coaches do? A few weeks ago he was projected as a 3rd round pick but I am sure that has changed since the texass game.

I am all for JA being the guy next season and wished he had gotten more playing time this season but too many close games kept that from happening.
Pretty sure DG has 1 yr left and if he comes back what will the Coaches do? A few weeks ago he was projected as a 3rd round pick but I am sure that has changed since the texass game.
I just don't see his game transferring well into the NFL 67. DG plays with a ton of heart but I doubt he will ever take a snap in a regular season NFL game. Maybe I am wrong and he makes me look like a fool and if he does then good for him. Whatever he does in life after his college career I wish him nothing but good things.

I have watched that final drive several times now, lots of people questioning the last play as they should, but if you watch the third down play, Farooq is finally tackled at the 48 ball was spotted back at the 46.

Why didn’t Brent challenge Stoops’ end zone catch? If for nothing else for the ref’s to see the missed PI. Drake said he thought he caught the ball in bounds. But instead of challenging the play call Brent spends another time out just to kick a field goal. Before the play he should have already known what he was going to do if the pass was incomplete so he wouldn’t need the time out.

Drake didn't secure the catch until he was out of bounds. It's horrible that a game was decided by that officiating travesty, but like BV said, we should have overcome it, but made too many mistakes. Too many turnovers. Not enough getting turnovers. On the road, you have to be better. And we had too many injuries.

Drake didn't secure the catch until he was out of bounds. It's horrible that a game was decided by that officiating travesty, but like BV said, we should have overcome it, but made too many mistakes. Too many turnovers. Not enough getting turnovers. On the road, you have to be better. And we had too many injuries.
Brent should have been thinking ahead and prepared. No reason to have used the time out when the field goal was the obvious play call after the failed pass play in the end zone. He froze.

Last edited:
Brent should have been thinking ahead and prepared. No reason to have used the time out when the field goal was the obvious play call after the failed pass play in the end zone. He froze.
No doubt and the offense was in hybernation for most the game.

Schmit consistently kicks into the end zone on kickoffs, so leg strength is not the issue with him. He’s just what I would call only adequate and is far behind OU’s past place kickers.

Schmit consistently kicks into the end zone on kickoffs, so leg strength is not the issue with him. He’s just what I would call only adequate and is far behind OU’s past place kickers.
Since we are on the topic of our kicker last year, Baylor 35-38 Loss, he was 0-1; WVU 20-23 Loss went 1-3; FSU 32-35 Loss went 1-2. I dont (I do) expect him to make 100% of his kicks, but these were some costly misses. Plus 2 misses this year against UCF one against Texas, and 1 against OSU. It looks like there are 4 kickers on the roster surely one of them is more consistent in putting them through the uprights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT