ADVERTISEMENT

Bedlam pregame prognosis!

You can’t coach and play so poorly that one bad no call loses the game for you. It’s Venables’ responsibility to see that this shit doesn’t happen again. Frankly, I’m beginning to think he may not be up to the task.
I didn't from the get go and said so. Stuck with all of them tho for the forseeable future.

You can’t coach and play so poorly that one bad no call loses the game for you. It’s Venables’ responsibility to see that this shit doesn’t happen again. Frankly, I’m beginning to think he may not be up to the task.

I think he's doing a lot of things well but you have to have the right coaches on your staff. He doesn't. If he fails to address the failures with potentially hard decisions then you may be right.

Reactions: Oklabama
Talent is lacking as well and has for a while.

It really isn't. I'd buy this if were playing Alabama or Ohio State but we are the more talented team every week short of Texas. Kansas doesn't have better players. Oklahoma State doesn't have better players.

We are losing to inferior competition. The NFL is loaded with Sooner stars. We are failing at a coaching and preparedness level.

Reactions: Jax0221
Coaching so openly smug after Shorthorns game…now look at us. Parachute on fire and in a free fall. Venables has lost control of his coaches miserable failures. Can’t write that off BV as a tough stretch.

It really isn't. I'd buy this if were playing Alabama or Ohio State but we are the more talented team every week short of Texas. Kansas doesn't have better players. Oklahoma State doesn't have better players.

We are losing to inferior competition. The NFL is loaded with Sooner stars. We are failing at a coaching and preparedness level.

I watched a podcast of current and former players a few weeks ago. Stutsman and Kanak both said they were surprised at the lack of talent when they arrived. Not sure how Kanak could arrive at that conclusion as he came on board after a lot left, some with TBOW. A former player said the same thing.
If it is not a talent issue then whats left is Coaching. I have seen a lot of bad Coaching the last 2 yrs and even before then.

I watched a podcast of current and former players a few weeks ago. Stutsman and Kanak both said they were surprised at the lack of talent when they arrived. Not sure how Kanak could arrive at that conclusion as he came on board after a lot left, some with TBOW. A former player said the same thing.
If it is not a talent issue then whats left is Coaching. I have seen a lot of bad Coaching the last 2 yrs and even before then.
Getting outcoached by KU and OSU back to back is really inexcusable for this coaching staff. Dillon Gabriel lost his edge and Lebby has diarrhea playcalling. He is an overpaid HS Coach at best. Guess that is what happens when you rush a hire.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Getting outcoached by KU and OSU back to back is really inexcusable for this coaching staff. Dillon Gabriel lost his edge and Lebby has diarrhea playcalling. He is an overpaid HS Coach at best. Guess that is what happens when you rush a hire.
Even if Lebby was on the hot seat which he isn't but should be, I doubt they would can him for fear of Arnold hitting the Portal.

The final 4 calls by Lebby were not good. WTF are you doing calling a flat pass when you need 5 and throw it 3. This isnt only on Lebby but DG had to know better. Sure the no call PI hurt but Lebby has laid a big turd the past 3 games.

The D gave the O plenty of chances to pull away but the play calling and execution sucked. This one isnt on the D as they settled in and gave the O plenty of chances. I am not a fan of Lebby at this point and talk about wasting 1.9M.

As mentioned before, I see OU has a team STILL in transition that will last three years from Riley's exit.
Because of this, OU is a team getting better overall, but also a team that can win when it's not supposed to lose (Texas), and lose when it's supposed to win (Kansas, OSU)....it's just the nature of the beast during a time like this.
Also, OU this year is playing without a TE at least as good as Brayden Willis was last year, and with Gabriel's poor deep throwing ability, a solid TE would be helpful for short range passes. Stogner and Baker are average at best.
Coach Lebby is hard to defend and I hope he either leaves (without negatively affecting recruiting) or changes his philosophy when Arnold takes over.
Still wondering why the offense from the bowl game (32 points against Florida State) isn't the one we are seeing now.

BV is not head coach material, I dont care what yall say about our recruiting classes.
Looks like Lanning might have been a better option. As for BV, lets see what the next 3 games hold. Anything less than 3-0 his seat may start getting hot. 0-3 I think his seat is as hot as the Devils

I may be wrong but I think Leipold and Gundy are both great coaches. Imagine the success that they would have at bigger named schools with better athletes.

As for BV, the verdict for me is kind of neutral. Not sure if he can be great or even just good at this point.

OU has regressed since Tx and maybe they all celebrated over the top. OSU has improved greatly since that loss to S Alabama. That what great coaches are able to do. Liepold will likely be gone to an SEC school after this season. I dont see BV name getting much attention.

I am like everyone else after seeing a heartbreaking loss but for now I will remain neutral on my thoughts about BV. However it doesnt mean I dont agree with many of you because a part of me does.

The best coaches make the hard decisions. I would feel really bad if Gabriel came back only to ride the bench but if Arnold is better he needs to start.
Not sure how they would handle that situation. If Gabriel comes back then maybe he is better and knows he would be the starter. On the other hand BV and Lebby might tell him he should enter the draft as they are looking to the future and want Arnold to be the guy.
Best case scenario is OU finishes 3-0 the remaining games, Dillon builds up his draft stock in the process and enters the draft.

Reactions: iasooner2000
The best coaches make the hard decisions. I would feel really bad if Gabriel came back only to ride the bench but if Arnold is better he needs to start.

Who knows if Arnold is better? How much has he played? I hear people all over Social Media saying Arnold is better and he should be put in to finish the season. Has Arnold been playing in some games I have missed and showed just how great he is? Did I miss it?
DG may not be that great of a QB but he is not the only reason the Offense is struggling. Drake Stoops ran a short route for 3 yds on the last play of the game, we needed 5 yds. Should we bench him and put in some young freshman WR and put Stoops out to pasture?
The problem is and I have been saying it all Season long is we don't have any game changers on offense, no speedsters nada. Our best WR today is 5ft 6 160 lbs, slow and cannot break a tackle if his life depended on it but his last name is Stoops so lets let him run a 3 yd route and throw to him for the 1st down when we need 5 yds.
What would JA have done to win the last 2 games? I remember everyone being all in on Spencer Rattler till they weren't. No guarantee JA will be any different My point is this Offense needs some studs and until we get some it won't matter who the QB is.

Who knows if Arnold is better? How much has he played? I hear people all over Social Media saying Arnold is better and he should be put in to finish the season. Has Arnold been playing in some games I have missed and showed just how great he is? Did I miss it?
DG may not be that great of a QB but he is not the only reason the Offense is struggling. Drake Stoops ran a short route for 3 yds on the last play of the game, we needed 5 yds. Should we bench him and put in some young freshman WR and put Stoops out to pasture?
The problem is and I have been saying it all Season long is we don't have any game changers on offense, no speedsters nada. Our best WR today is 5ft 6 160 lbs, slow and cannot break a tackle if his life depended on it but his last name is Stoops so lets let him run a 3 yd route and throw to him for the 1st down when we need 5 yds.
What would JA have done to win the last 2 games? I remember everyone being all in on Spencer Rattler till they weren't. No guarantee JA will be any different My point is this Offense needs some studs and until we get some it won't matter who the QB is.
67, Who really knows what happened on that last play. Why did Lebby roll DG out? Was he trying to give him an option to run for the first down? DS was likely a check down pass in that sequence and DG had pressure on him and had no time to look downfield. I will have to go look at the play again but why not just drop DG back in the pocket instead of a designed roll out pass? I think the current problem with the offense starts with the OC play calling. Today it reared it's ugly head big time when they could have really separated from OSU.

If Lebby doesn't get it figured out, OU could find themselves on the short end of the scoreboard in all 3 remaining games.

67, Who really knows what happened on that last play. Why did Lebby roll DG out? Was he trying to give him an option to run for the first down? DS was likely a check down pass in that sequence and DG had pressure on him and had no time to look downfield. I will have to go look at the play again but why not just drop DG back in the pocket instead of a designed roll out pass? I think the current problem with the offense starts with the OC play calling. Today it reared it's ugly head big time when they could have really separated from OSU.

If Lebby doesn't get it figured out, OU could find themselves on the short end of the scoreboard in all 3 remaining games.

Not sure. BV was asked what he thought about it and he said he liked the play call but we needed a route for more than 3 yds. Was is that short a route or did DS not run it correctly? I don't know but BV liked the play called which is confusing.
I think BV needs to get more involved in the Offense if he isn't already. We know he is more involved in the Defense this Season, he has said so. Is he spending too much time on the defense and not enough on the Offense?
During the 1st half of the Colorado vs Or St game they said Prime told them he was spending too much time on the Offense and that the Defense was struggling so he committed more time to the Defense this week and it showed at least for the 1st half, stopped watching at halftime so I don't know what the defense has done since then.
If the Defense is taking all his time then why is Roof there?
He better get this Offense mess cleaned up as there is still a chance for a decent season but time is growing short and fans are grumbling, deservedly so.

Big 12 should be ashamed of itself the way the refs are blatantly making bad calls in OU and Texas games. That 97 yard drive should never have happened. PI was on the offense not Vickers, BV getting 15 was plain BS, and missed block in the back, illegal cut block and illegal chop block. So 5 bad calls/no calls on that drive alone.

• Sad

I was merely speculating on that hypothetical. If Gabriel comes back and he's still ahead of JA then he should start.

My point was simply, the best players need to be playing now and always no matter who's feelings get hurt.

I was merely speculating on that hypothetical. If Gabriel comes back and he's still ahead of JA then he should start.

My point was simply, the best players need to be playing now and always no matter who's feelings get hurt.
agreed, but DG is Lebby's guy, never know whats going on in his mind. He may think DG has 5 years of experience in his system therefore should start. JA most definitely has the most upside and bigger arm. Hope DG finishes strong the next 4 games 15-20 touchdowns and 0 ints, and enters the draft, then there is no debate.

agreed, but DG is Lebby's guy, never know whats going on in his mind. He may think DG has 5 years of experience in his system therefore should start. JA most definitely has the most upside and bigger arm. Hope DG finishes strong the next 4 games 15-20 touchdowns and 0 ints, and enters the draft, then there is no debate.
Gabriel may not have an NFL career waiting for him given his limited arm strength and size. But I hope there are bigger things in Gabriel's future.
Arnold is more of a Lebby guy than Gabriel.
It was Lebby that got Arnold to OU during a time when OU's situation was in turmoil in the wake of Riley's exit.
Here are my hopes for OU:
That Lebby learns from this year's mistakes and regardless of Gabriel's future, gets OU's offense up and running next year.
That the young players continue to improve.
That the 2024 recruiting haul stays intact.
That more transfers enter the program.
That Venables successfully learns from the mistakes of his first two years and makes changes if necessary.

That Venables successfully learns from the mistakes of his first two years and makes changes if necessary.

It will be interesting to see Venables' demeanor and comments during the coming week. I could see him doing something like Dabo Swinney did about bandwagon fans. Something like, maybe the OU bandwagon is too big, and the true OU fans will get behind this team for the rest of the season and follow them on their journey to the Pop-Tarts Bowl.

Legendary OU coaches: Bud, Barry, Bob

Bud
followed by Gomer, Jim Mac, Chuck then Barry.

Barry
followed by Gary, Howard, John then Bob.

Bob
followed by Lincoln, Brent, ?? then ???

Hope the 3 coaching hires pattern doesn’t continue between Legendary OU coaches. I’m 77.

Jason Llewellyn and Kaden Helms were both 4-star TEs, 6'5 260 and 6'5 235. Are they hurt? In the doghouse? I don't even see their names on the depth chart. I thought Joe Jon Finley was a good hire, but he has plenty of talent in that room with zero production.

Legendary OU coaches: Bud, Barry, Bob

Bud
followed by Gomer, Jim Mac, Chuck then Barry.

Barry
followed by Gary, Howard, John then Bob.

Bob
followed by Lincoln, Brent, ?? then ???

Hope the 3 coaching hires pattern doesn’t continue between Legendary OU coaches. I’m 77.
I think with OU headed to the SEC that OUs NC hopes are completely gone for the next few years if what we are seeing now continues. OU may be mired in many 8 -4 type seasons with an occasional 10 plus win year.

It looks like OU is headed for some dark days. I am only 64 but like you I now wonder if OU will ever make it to the top of the mountain again in Football. Thank goodness for Softball and PG.

Last edited:
I think with OU headed to the SEC that OUs NC hopes are completely gone for the next few years if what we are seeing now continues. OU may be mired in many 8 -4 type seasons with an occasional 10 plus win year.

It looks like OU is headed for some dark days. I am only 64 but like you I now eonder if OU will ever make it to the top of the mountain again in Football. Thank goodness for Softball and PG.
59, I think you are being premature on your assessment of OU’s football future.
You know this team’s transition won’t happen overnight.
Venables deserves our support and our patience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT