ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Sooners fall apart in 2014?

I truly believe that the team and coaches thought that beating Bama ,set them up for a run at a NC. I also believe that Mike Stoops and his buddy Kish should have been fired too. I also believe if they have another season like last year, not only will Mike, Kish and also Bob will bite the dust. I don't see how a 10 million dollar Head Coach can survive two eight win seasons when the President of the University who makes about one-third of that.
Now I think they have the coaches and players to win 10 games except there is a Big ? the OL. Although, they do have a better than good coach at that position,; who might pull a rabbit out of five of there helmets, which would be something like a Miracle. I will be rooting for my Sooners like I always have for the last 66 yrs.
GO BIG RED!

The best defensive player was Geneo Grissom. He was lost for the season. The best offensive receiver was Shep. He was essentially lost for the season. And especially in his case, the other receivers weren't ready to step up.

Against OSU, the one threat we had was Samaje. He got hurt. Cody was the backup quarterback and he was playing dinged up, and very inexperienced with poor receiver production. We had one of the best field goal kickers in the country, but he missed two chip shots in different games that were huge in losing those games to both teams.

The secondary was mostly an inexperienced mess. When Julian got hurt, we really only had one good corner, and he'd been hurt the first half of the season.

Everybody has injuries. But who you have behind those guys makes a huge difference. As is who gets hurt. Shep and Grissom were two of the five most indispensable players.

I also thought that Trevor was a little overrated based on his SB performance. He threw some dangerous passes against Bama, but got away with it because the receivers made incredible plays. I also think a smaller factor against Bama was that their game plan was more geared toward playing Blake Bell. So the quick run threat quarterback, wasn't their primary game plan. It allowed Trevor to thrive more.

Early in the year, OUr best runner was Ford. Samaje eventually evolved into that, but he wasn't prepared to be the guy early, and especially against TCU, we missed Ford. A lot of little things added up.

Trevor made some dangerous throws, as he had against Bama. They turned into key pick sixes against TCU and KState. There is a narrow margin of error in winning and losing. We were on the short end of near misses in three of the losses.

Reactions: BillyRay
Well, as was alluded by jocdoc, we were all given delusions of grandeur by beating Bama because:

Trevor playing what was the best game he'll ever have.
The graduation of Lacolton Bester and Jalen Saunders. (four of the best hands in the history of CFB)
A serviceable, mad dog defense that, I have no idea what happened to.
Long story short we were duped into thinking that we could reload and continue on, running roughshod over everyone...huge mistake.

However, take heart. The tradition at OU would strongly suggest that we will rise again, and hopefully soon.
My mortality window is closing a little bit every year...so bring it bitches!

Reactions: Sfenn3
Every team has injuries every year, that goes with football. However OU isnt and wasnt deep enough to plug someone in and keep chugging along. OU lost to a bad OSU team, looked like a junior high team vs a good but not great Clemson team and for the most part relied on a 18 year old freshman to carry us to wins. My guess is we have 4 losses this coming year and MORE coaching changes will be made.

“Why did Sooners fall apart in 2014?’

Because players and coaches alike became more enamored with their personal success and what that could mean to their careers / wallets much more than the fortunes of the Sooner football program.

A gut feeling tells me Stoops has 2 more seasons to win a national title or he will be gone and if he is not Boren won’t last very much longer.

Boren’s popularity around the state has sharply declined… He does not have the influence that he once had.

Why will they be better in 2015?
Plaino pretty much nailed it as to OU's problems last season.
Simply stated, the team that won its last 4 games and beat Alabama was not the same team that played in 2014. Two big losses in the OL, Saunders and Bester were gone, Clay, who's clutch running and receiving against Alabama was a key component in OU's win was gone, Colvin was gone from the secondary, Hunnicutt hit a brick wall late in the season....then suspensions and/or ineligibility to Mixon, Shannon, Beckum and Mayfield and finally, injuries to Shapard, Ford and Knight. Throw in some questionable coaching, which hopefully has been remedied in the off season, and all these factors made for a perfect storm in derailing this team from its objectives.
Perine was the lone bright spot. This fall, maybe he will be one of many bright spots.

As Forrest Gump's mama said, "Life is like a box of chocolates". Each year's success or failure for OU football is determined by so many factors that spring up during the season when 18-22 year olds are playing the game. I read where an OU coach said that so and so has the ability to be great if he can just maintain his focus for 80 plays a game instead of 50 or 60. That says a lot about how unstable a team can become when players can't stay centered. It only takes a couple of bad plays in the secondary to get behind the eight ball by 14, or a bad decision by a young QB, or for our placekicker to miss a critical and makeable FG. Combine all this with injuries and backups that aren't ready to step up, losing four games isn't surprising. Oh, yeah, then there are the coaching blunders. But I digress.

Will we be better in 2015? HELL YEAH! Always the eternal optimist.

Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure
Clever retort.....but weak.
No one is making excuses when a long list of problems cropped up to limit a team's success. It wasn't just one or two issues, in case you didn't follow the team last season.
You can label them as excuses. I label them as reality.

Clever retort.....but weak.
No one is making excuses when a long list of problems cropped up to limit a team's success. It wasn't just one or two issues, in case you didn't follow the team last season.
You can label them as excuses. I label them as reality.
if you want to see something weak,go watch the russell athletic bowl,there is no excuse for that,total failure.

if you want to see something weak,go watch the russell athletic bowl,there is no excuse for that,total failure.
This team underperformed all year. Losing 40-6 is inexcusable, especially in a bowl game, and I said that on this board recently....no way Clemson was 34 points better. But this team was under-coached and lacked motivation overall to go along with it's personnel issues. The Clemson game was just a microcosm of the entire season as everything wrong with the team was graphically revealed....plus the fact that Clemson was a very good team and played well.

Had absolutely nothing to do with injuries. Knight turned out to not be as good as we had hoped and neither were the receivers. The defense sucked and Mike's game planning left a lot to be desired.

Had absolutely nothing to do with injuries. Knight turned out to not be as good as we had hoped and neither were the receivers. The defense sucked and Mike's game planning left a lot to be desired.
Really?
Lost Shepard, lost Ford, lost Knight, had Sanchez playing injured (and it clearly made him a lesser player).....and in fairness to Knight, he was not surrounded by the five players who were the deciding factor in beating Alabama (Clay, Bester, Saunders, Ikard and Irwin).

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I think it had a lot to do with things behind the scenes that none of us are privy to. This was the first year that in the bowl game it was clearly evident that the coaches had lost this team. I had never seen a Bob Stoops team lay down at the end of the year like they did. It reminded me of the 1994 Copper Bowl. So clearly during the course of the year, the players were losing confidence in the coaches, and no doubt that had plenty to do with how this team underperformed, and seemed to digress during the course of the year.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Let's take a look at all our losses. JMO.
KSU: A very bad pick 6 and a kicker that just lost it in the clutch.
TCU: A very good dual Q-B and a stuff by the Frogs on our last drive.
Baylor: Tell me again why we need 6'2" CB's that play eight yards off the line of scrimmage?
OSU: Bad decision from Stoops to re-punt.

Clemson: I have no idea.

At one point in the season we got beat by about 5 points total (?). That's close. Many things could have reversed that trend including injuries and the things I mentioned above.

I'm ready to see what we have this year.........

Really?
Lost Shepard, lost Ford, lost Knight, had Sanchez playing injured (and it clearly made him a lesser player).....and in fairness to Knight, he was not surrounded by the five players who were the deciding factor in beating Alabama (Clay, Bester, Saunders, Ikard and Irwin).
Ya really. You can't blame the season on injuries to 3 players. You also can't give Knight a pass because he quite honestly couldn't hit the side of a barn on many occasions.

The way this thread is going reminds me of that commercial where the guy is trying to buy "likes" or "clicks" off the street and gets thrown in jail. lol

Well, there was a time I liked the twins. I lost all respect when an All Big 8\ poster\player, record setter, was attacked on the net. They should have gone after him like me and you do.

Just yell at each other.......

2014 was a total disaster. From Boren to the HC, from the OC to the DC, from Mixon to Shannon. It starts at the top, and rolls downhill. Stoops knew what kind of team he had. He's been around coaching way too long to not know what type of team you have. OU was out Coached, out scored and out played. Injuries didn't help, but we didn't look good really early on, pre-injury.

Yes. They will be better in 2015.

2014 was a total disaster. From Boren to the HC, from the OC to the DC, from Mixon to Shannon. It starts at the top, and rolls downhill. Stoops knew what kind of team he had. He's been around coaching way too long to not know what type of team you have. OU was out Coached, out scored and out played. Injuries didn't help, but we didn't look good really early on, pre-injury.

Yes. They will be better in 2015.
Exactly. Blaming the season on injuries is in my opinion laughable. We just weren't that good on the field or the sidelines. Hopefully we can improve some this upcoming year

My point, Barkingwater, is that with the injuries, suspensions and shaky coaching, the players who did play, did not play well....or maybe they just were not as good as advertised. Again, it's why I have viewed the 2014 as the perfect storm....for failure.

My point, Barkingwater, is that with the injuries, suspensions and shaky coaching, the players who did play, did not play well....or maybe they just were not as good as advertised. Again, it's why I have viewed the 2014 as the perfect storm....for failure.
No doubt there were a lot of contributing factors. One thing is for sure, if we don't find a consistent QB then 2015 will not be what we all want it to be.

Injuries can be blamed to a point, but did injuries play a part in us playing 10 yards off the WRs vs baylor? not knowing how to tackle in open space? Making bad coaching decisions vs OSU? I was a big Mike Stoops supporter when he arrived back at OU but i question the decision to keep him. If OU loses 4 or 5 this year i think its almost a sure thing he is gone. The scary part is OU lost most of their Oline, guys like Grissom on D and our kickers (ive never liked kickers though, cant trust em).........Word is that new guy has a monster leg though. Does anyone see us beating Tennessee? TCU? baylor? kstate? OSU in stillwater be tough as well

and k2c, please give it a rest. The whole board knows how butthurt you are about the past. If you want to know both sides of the story, i have some emails that might change your way of thinking about certain issues. We can exchange them privately if needed. If not, stop pouting and enjoy a good topic. Good night

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT