ADVERTISEMENT

Who is going to step up at WR this year?

Heupel led us to a national title. Gabriel will be lucky to start all the games this year. They're pretty different people. We owe Josh almost as much as we owe Bob. A lot.
Heupel came on board with a team more talented than what Gabriel inherited and had a good defense to hold opponents down. Not so with Gabriel, with Riley’s poaching, transfers leaving and a coaching staff in transition.
Had Bob Stoops not come to OU in 1999 with his solidly assembled coaching staff, I don’t believe Heupel would have come to OU. Whatever criticisms have been thrown at Stoops, they seem insignificant when one considers his incredible restoration of the OU football legacy after the 1998 season and a forgettable decade of losing.

Last edited:
I'm mostly with Loop on his view. But DG's year wasn't much different than Heupel's. We all remember the incredible 2000 season, but Josh threw lot of picks in '99. We were barely over .500 and narrowly lost a bowl game.

Two major differences. One, Gabriel got hurt. But the biggest was that Josh was running the only spread in the count, and teams didn't have a great handle on how to defend it.

And then when Heupel's wing went south for the winter, the defense got great.

Last year, l don't think people realize how much losing Gundy hurt us. I just wonder if we have enough quality receiving bodies this season. And l do know, that on the last drive of the spring game, that Arnold looked really good, in his drive with the one receivers.

He should be solid enough to win most games, but he isn't a difference maker. We are banking on Arnold for our future
Gabriel might be a "difference maker" if his supporting cast was equal those of Mayfield, Murray and Hurts....and even Caleb Williams' freshman year of 2021. Those four drove a BMW.... Gabriel drives a Sentra.

Reactions: loopafied68
Gabriel might be a "difference maker" if his supporting cast was equal those of Mayfield, Murray and Hurts....and even Caleb Williams' freshman year of 2021. Those four drove a BMW.... Gabriel drives a Sentra.
well thats true, but surely you aren't putting DG in the same category as those other guys. He is more of a game manager than anything else. I think he will be solid, but nothing to write home about. That may also sum up the entire team this year

well thats true, but surely you aren't putting DG in the same category as those other guys. He is more of a game manager than anything else. I think he will be solid, but nothing to write home about. That may also sum up the entire team this year
Surely, I am not.
But then, how would Mayfield, Murray and Hurts do with Gabriel's supporting cast last year and this year, especially this year without depth at WR, a less-than-stellar offensive line and a defense that hasn't proven it can hold opposing offenses to under 30 points per game?
A schedule that is said to be one of OU's weakest could help Gabriel's numbers but it could also conceal OU's overall weaknesses even with a 9-10 win record. Riley's teams were always the weakest of the CFP's and it is a reason he gave for leaving. This year, while OU still looks to have things going in the right direction for the future, the team will likely be even further away from being in the playoffs....and it's a reason why I had hoped for a 2025 SEC entry. (The good thing about an entry next year into the SEC is that it is proving to be a big improvement in recruiting, as the 2022 and 2023 classes indicate and in looking at the players OU is currently targeting for the future).

Surely, I am not.
But then, how would Mayfield, Murray and Hurts do with Gabriel's supporting cast last year and this year, especially this year without depth at WR, a less-than-stellar offensive line and a defense that hasn't proven it can hold opposing offenses to under 30 points per game?
A schedule that is said to be one of OU's weakest could help Gabriel's numbers but it could also conceal OU's overall weaknesses even with a 9-10 win record. Riley's teams were always the weakest of the CFP's and it is a reason he gave for leaving. This year, while OU still looks to have things going in the right direction for the future, the team will likely be even further away from being in the playoffs....and it's a reason why I had hoped for a 2025 SEC entry. (The good thing about an entry next year into the SEC is that it is proving to be a big improvement in recruiting, as the 2022 and 2023 classes indicate and in looking at the players OU is currently targeting for the future).
Well no doubt they would struggle as well, but we both know they are all on a different level than DG. Two of the were number 1 picks and the other was a starting qb on a superbowl team. I will say its a great year to have a weak schedule even if it does make us look better than what we probably will be. On another note, the Oregon coach Lanning seems to be killing it in recruiting. Wonder if we made a mistake with Venables.

Well no doubt they would struggle as well, but we both know they are all on a different level than DG. Two of the were number 1 picks and the other was a starting qb on a superbowl team. I will say its a great year to have a weak schedule even if it does make us look better than what we probably will be. On another note, the Oregon coach Lanning seems to be killing it in recruiting. Wonder if we made a mistake with Venables.
Welp, I guess keep wondering. 🤣

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Surely, I am not.
A few more wins maybe, those QB's didn't have a defense either. Until we prove we can play defense again the other side of the ball will be behind the 8 ball. SEC is looming and time is not on our side. So hard to wrap my head around OU being so bad on defense for so long, those that stood by and let it happen should be ashamed.

Reactions: iasooner2000

I remember Bob saying calls were coming in from people that were interested in the HC job, I wonder who they called that said thanks but no thanks before it was offered to BV. I never thought BV was the guy they were after but was the first guy that said yes. Time will tell I guess if it was a good hire or not, so far I don't see it but I stopped drinking the kool-aid quite a few yrs ago. Way past time to put up or shut up.

Agree. But for me it’s what a player does at OU that I’m interested in. No doubt Gabriel will be blamed for every game lost this year while the team remains in transition and the roster adapts to a new and better culture.
I won’t overreact if OU doesn’t get every recruit it targets. I never have except when Switzer couldn’t reel in Earl Campbell and his mother in 1976.
Venables has had two top ten recruiting classes and is said to have more in 2024 and beyond. How can you doubt his ability to recruit by saying OU made a mistake in hiring him?

Agree. But for me it’s what a player does at OU that I’m interested in. “No doubt Gabriel will be blamed for every game lost this year”
I agree, CT. But Lebby will get blamed, too, like he was last year. How many times did posts include massive criticism regarding his use of “bubble screens”? I don’t look for Lebby to change his offense a lot. And I don’t think Brent wants him to change it up that much.

Last edited:
I agree, CT. But Lebby will get blamed, too, like he was last year. How many times did posts include massive criticism regarding his use of “bubble screens”? I don’t look for Lebby to change his offense a lot. And I don’t think Brent wants him to change it up that much.

Lebby, imo, needs to improve situational awareness.

Agree. But for me it’s what a player does at OU that I’m interested in. No doubt Gabriel will be blamed for every game lost this year while the team remains in transition and the roster adapts to a new and better culture.
I won’t overreact if OU doesn’t get every recruit it targets. I never have except when Switzer couldn’t reel in Earl Campbell and his mother in 1976.
Venables has had two top ten recruiting classes and is said to have more in 2024 and beyond. How can you doubt his ability to recruit by saying OU made a mistake in hiring him?
I know he can recruit, but Oregon has beaten out OU and others on some big time recruits here lately. Lanning seems to have Oregon trending way up. The jury is still out on Venables

I know he can recruit, but Oregon has beaten out OU and others on some big time recruits here lately. Lanning seems to have Oregon trending way up. The jury is still out on Venables

Regarding recruiting, how can you say Lanning has Oregon trending up but Venables has not?

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Regarding recruiting, how can you say Lanning has Oregon trending up but Venables has not?
Well one example is that they landed the best Dlineman out of Oklahoma with Sims. How does that happen? OU can't let the best player leave the state for another school.

That's been my opinion from day 1. OU can continue to get some elite position players so long as they keep getting player's like Jackson Arnold. 5 star player's attract other 4/5 star player's. Great/Good player's + Great coaching = National Championship.
BV will fix the defense! I'm confident in that. Lebby Better be great this year and every year after.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Well one example is that they landed the best Dlineman out of Oklahoma with Sims. How does that happen? OU can't let the best player leave the state for another school.

RIP @OUnabomber

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT