ADVERTISEMENT

Who can beat us?

I agree it does happen when you are dealing with kids, but does it seem like it happens at OU more than it should? I realize last year we only lost to Texas, but most every other year we end up losing to either a Kstate, Iowa state, OSU, and even Baylor. I guess we aren't quite at that level where we can still win these games even when we don't play our best. Hard to understand how we can play so poorly with so much on the line.

Hard to understand....? You must have never played competitive sports? You need to be more of a realist. Just maybe Kansas State players and coaches out played/coached OU players and coaches. Me thinks your emotions have blinded you to human strengths and failings. I saw Larry Bird miss a shot in the playoff once. Is that hard to understand?

Hard to understand....? You must have never played competitive sports? You need to be more of a realist. Just maybe Kansas State players and coaches out played/coached OU players and coaches. Me thinks your emotions have blinded you to human strengths and failings. I saw Larry Bird miss a shot in the playoff once. Is that hard to understand?

I played competitive sports all my life including college. Have you? Larry Bird was one man...I'm talking about a complete team tanking at least once every year against inferior competition with a national championship opportunity on the line.

Reactions: frankstare
You need to watch Riley’s Tuesday’s night coach’s shows where he puts his well-known memory on display every week...ESPN has picked up on this.

It is a memory that is that is unmatched in OU football history and part of why he is such a hot pro commodity.

Riley’s high school science teachers were pissed off at him when they learned that he was going into coaching....They considered it a waste of a talented mind. They were dead serious when they told him that he could cure cancer.

By his junior year in High School Riley had taught himself math that exceeded the abilities of his math teachers.

I have been hearing about Lincoln since his spring semester at Tech because I know people who know people who are from Muleshoe TX. Leach recognized Riley’s unique genius. If not for Leach strong insistences Stoops would not have hired Riley.

Switzer is very smart but didn’t have nearly as much personal self-discipline....

Switzer was a great recruiter and a very good innovator but he is not in the same league when it comes to the emotional part of the game....with so many more scholarships to hand out he didn’t need to be....Switzer’s great teams had far more depth to work with. It’s harder to keep players happy today.

Bump and facepalm.

Even though he lost, Ryan Day had a complete game plan, just lost to a damn good team. I honestly think he's a better coach than Riley even though he's essentially a rookie HC.

Going forward I want to see Riley take responsibility for the whole team, not just QB development. E.g., Kick Off returns was 116th in the country - instead of taking the freebie 25 yard line, we continually let Brown or whomever run the ball out for much less than the 25. At what point was Riley going to stop talking to the QB and pay attention to this repeated screw up and fix it? Time to step up and be a HC.

Bump and facepalm.

Even though he lost, Ryan Day had a complete game plan, just lost to a damn good team. I honestly think he's a better coach than Riley even though he's essentially a rookie HC.

Going forward I want to see Riley take responsibility for the whole team, not just QB development. E.g., Kick Off returns was 116th in the country - instead of taking the freebie 25 yard line, we continually let Brown or whomever run the ball out for much less than the 25. At what point was Riley going to stop talking to the QB and pay attention to this repeated screw up and fix it? Time to step up and be a HC.
Damn... Nice post.

There are three types of good. Examples are Boise State good, Oklahoma good, and Alabama good. Three levels. It doesn’t mean that Boise State can’t occasionally beat an Oklahoma, but not on a regular basis. Or an Oklahoma can’t beat an Alabama, but not on a regular basis. The overwhelming differences are the types of players each type team can attract. Oklahoma simply doesn’t attract the number and type of superior athletes that an Alabama routinely does. Why? Regardless of the reason until we can get the type of superior athletes that I watched last night playing for LSU, I personally don’t believe my Sooners will ever have a legit opportunity to compete in the playoffs. That’s not to say OU won’t always be one of the best teams in college ball but just not part of the top tier. Riley has a big job ahead of him.

There are three types of good. Examples are Boise State good, Oklahoma good, and Alabama good. Three levels.

The problem is the level of talent to win our conference. Nationally, we're an Auburn - which is a program good enough to win the Big XII every year. Auburn is nothing to sneeze at, but winning the Big XII has us thinking we are closer to Bama. And coincidentally, the last big bowl win we had was vs Aubie (and granted their starting QB stunk that year).

I just want Riley to use this debacle to re-evaluate everything in the program and determine if there is a way to get us closer to Clemson, tOSU, LSU and Bama....because now that the last two have opened up their offenses, we have no schematic advantage.

The problem is the level of talent to win our conference. Nationally, we're an Auburn - which is a program good enough to win the Big XII every year. Auburn is nothing to sneeze at, but winning the Big XII has us thinking we are closer to Bama. And coincidentally, the last big bowl win we had was vs Aubie (and granted their starting QB stunk that year).

I just want Riley to use this debacle to re-evaluate everything in the program and determine if there is a way to get us closer to Clemson, tOSU, LSU and Bama....because now that the last two have opened up their offenses, we have no schematic advantage.

We are on the exact same page, bro. Truly, we haven’t been elite for along time. Stoops had us there early but couldn’t close the deal after 2000. Switzer had us at the elite level won three but should have won five. I’d like that back. One thing all the elite teams have in common is great coaches ......, oh and the best athletes.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Bump and facepalm.

What you want to see isn't even relevant.

You are blaming Riley for things that are still the fault of Mike and Bob Stoops and Boren too.

This was always a rebuilding year for OU, even before the injuries and suspensions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT