ADVERTISEMENT

Who can beat us?

Tollboothmgr

OU scholarship offer
Sep 3, 2017
it appears we SHOULD run thru the big 12 and ccg undefeated. no one left scares me including baylor in waco and osu in stillwater. so, off to the cfp. i'm guessing either bama or lsu, plus clemson and oh st. having not seen oh st or bama i'm not sure how good they really are. lsu and clemson i have seen and they're fine teams. beatable though.

As he said, no one until the cfp which I agree completely with. tosu will run their 'gauntlet' starting (I believe) this week against psu who played iowa a lot better than meatchicken, despite what the final score showed last week at iowa. The stripes tried their best to hand that game to the hawx by removing an obvious psu td (that baffled the game rules 'expert' on hand) and finally calling iowa's lone penalty (false start) late in Q3 after flagging psu all day for holding and other various one-sided offenses.

It's hard for me to answer that question....at this time.
I am cursed by the fact that I do not KNOW the future and how this team will fare in the games remaining, although I think there should be considerable improvement as Grinch and Bedenbaugh continue their stellar coaching. The team in late November could....and should...be better than it is now.
There are at least two teams in Baylor and OSU that could pose problems and of course, possible injuries along the way, and the likely rematch with Texas in December. Also parity could dent OU's record with in games with K-State and a decent Iowa State team.
While all games in the regular season and the conference championship appear winnable, beyond that, Clemson, Alabama, LSU and Ohio State appear to be OU's biggest challenges in the playoff

it appears we SHOULD run thru the big 12 and ccg undefeated. no one left scares me including baylor in waco and osu in stillwater. so, off to the cfp. i'm guessing either bama or lsu, plus clemson and oh st. having not seen oh st or bama i'm not sure how good they really are. lsu and clemson i have seen and they're fine teams. beatable though.

It would appear anyone can beat us given the right circumstances. I think Georgia was a 3 touchdown favorite last weekend and lost. Of course it is the almighty SEC

As unbiased as I can be, I'd say that Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State are better than we are. I'd put us on par with LSU and slightly better than teams like Wisky, Georgia, and Florida. I realize this is an OU board but, until we can show up better under playoff conditions, that'll continue to be the prevailing national view.

As unbiased as I can be, I'd say that Clemson, Bama, and Ohio State are better than we are. I'd put us on par with LSU and slightly better than teams like Wisky, Georgia, and Florida. I realize this is an OU board but, until we can show up better under playoff conditions, that'll continue to be the prevailing national view.
Agree at this time but I feel this OU team has room to get better by November with so many young players and with the OL and defense improving. The team that beat Texas last week could and should be better by the Big 12 title game.

I have seen enough football in my life that you should NEVER take any game for granted. Upsets happen way too often.
If OU is doing what we should do.... we will not be upset....

This is why i said... "the biggest opponent is our self."

Riley understands the emotional side of football many times better than Stoops or Switzer. That's going to help reduce the number of unexpected losses.

Better than Switzer? Might wanna pump the brakes ,Switzer in my opinion was a master motivator. Iowa State 2 years ago?
No !!!!! No pumping of the breaks on that one at all.

Switzer had several horrible losses that were due to him and his staff and players who would party their asses off late into the night, screwing college girls and other games where OU was not a well-adjusted team... these were at times big distractions to his team.

On this Riley is light years ahead of Switzer and its not even remotely close. Riley is a great family man.

Switzer could not last very long today acting like he did in his personal life.

Looks like Baylor might be a tough out in Waco. Much better team than I thought they were. They have some playmakers.

The only decent teams Baylor has played, so far, are OSU, ISU and Tech.
Calling OSU decent is a stretch, so far this year.
Baylor beat ISU by 2 points.
The refs screwed Tech out of a win in Waco.
Baylor struggled to a 21-13 win against Rice.

Baylor may be 7-0, but they are a couple of plays and three patsy games away from being the recent Baylor of 2-5 or 3-4 fame.
And, they still have TCU, OU and Tejas left on their schedule.
I'm just not sold on Baylor yet.

Last edited:
No !!!!! No pumping of the breaks on that one at all.

Switzer had several horrible losses that were due to him and his staff and players who would party their asses off late into the night, screwing college girls and other games where OU was not a well-adjusted team... these were at times big distractions to his team.

On this Riley is light years ahead of Switzer and its not even remotely close. Riley is a great family man.

Switzer could not last very long today acting like he did in his personal life.
Every coach in history has had games like this. Riley. Switzer. Stoops. Even Saban. They all have had bad games for whatever reason. And I'll go with what Aikman once said about Switzer, in that he thought the college version of Switzer was one of the best motivators he had ever played for. When Switzer got in the NFL, not so much.

On any given day anybody is capable of getting beat. We need to win out and we need to beat Baylor and Oklahoma State convincingly. I have doubts that Ohio State would lose, just don't see anybody in the Big Ten good enough to beat them. Auburn is capable of beating Bama and so is LSU. Clemson won't lose because the ACC is trash again this year.

Every coach in history has had games like this. Riley. Switzer. Stoops. Even Saban. They all have had bad games for whatever reason. And I'll go with what Aikman once said about Switzer, in that he thought the college version of Switzer was one of the best motivators he had ever played for. When Switzer got in the NFL, not so much.
While they do happen to anyone... time will show that Riley will have fewer of the totally unexpected loss than what either Switzer or Stoops had.

Riley really is a real life genius....and remembers things at a rate that is unmatched in OU football history. He has had many very good teachers along the way.

Reactions: iasooner1
The only decent teams Baylor has played, so far, are OSU, ISU and Tech.
Calling OSU decent is a stretch, so far this year.
Baylor beat ISU by 2 points.
The refs screwed Tech out of a win in Waco.
Baylor struggled to a 21-13 win against Rice.

Baylor may be 7-0, but they are a couple of plays and three patsy games away from being the recent Baylor of 2-5 or 3-4 fame.
And, they still have TCU, OU and Tejas left on their schedule.
I'm just not sold on Baylor yet.
I agree with you on Baylor's schedule...but its in Waco and it looks like it will be our toughest game.
OU fans are buying up tickets for this game as we type.

While they do happen to anyone... time will show that Riley will have fewer of the totally unexpected loss than what either Switzer or Stoops had.

Riley really is a real life genius....and remembers things at a rate that is unmatched in OU football history. He has had many very good teachers along the way.
His imagination for offense is unquestioned. But lets tap the brakes a bit on crowning him a genius that is unmatched in OU football history. The guy hasn't even won a national title yet.

His imagination for offense is unquestioned. But lets tap the brakes a bit on crowning him a genius that is unmatched in OU football history. The guy hasn't even won a national title yet.
You are misquoting me... go back and read what I wrote...

Riley was tagged with the genius label while he was still in High School and its 100% accurate.
There are real reasons why he was accepted to Ivy league universities.

I am not sure attributing an Ivy League education is a sure sign of being a "genius" necessarily.
George Bush, Bill O'Reilly and John Kerry never made my list of being geniuses.
But I certainly am not taking anything away from Riley in saying this.

You are misquoting me... go back and read what I wrote...

Riley was tagged with the genius label while he was still in High School and its 100% accurate.
There are real reasons why he was accepted to Ivy league universities.
It may be a slight misquote, but I still stand behind tapping the brakes on labeling him as anything that says "unmatched in OU football history", until he at least wins a natty title.

It may be a slight misquote, but I still stand behind tapping the brakes on labeling him as anything that says "unmatched in OU football history", until he at least wins a natty title.

You need to watch Riley’s Tuesday’s night coach’s shows where he puts his well-known memory on display every week...ESPN has picked up on this.

It is a memory that is that is unmatched in OU football history and part of why he is such a hot pro commodity.

Riley’s high school science teachers were pissed off at him when they learned that he was going into coaching....They considered it a waste of a talented mind. They were dead serious when they told him that he could cure cancer.

By his junior year in High School Riley had taught himself math that exceeded the abilities of his math teachers.

I have been hearing about Lincoln since his spring semester at Tech because I know people who know people who are from Muleshoe TX. Leach recognized Riley’s unique genius. If not for Leach strong insistences Stoops would not have hired Riley.

Switzer is very smart but didn’t have nearly as much personal self-discipline....

Switzer was a great recruiter and a very good innovator but he is not in the same league when it comes to the emotional part of the game....with so many more scholarships to hand out he didn’t need to be....Switzer’s great teams had far more depth to work with. It’s harder to keep players happy today.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
I am not sure attributing an Ivy League education is a sure sign of being a "genius" necessarily.
George Bush, Bill O'Reilly and John Kerry never made my list of being geniuses.
But I certainly am not taking anything away from Riley in saying this.
What your saying is valid but unlike those people Riley would have fininnied at near the top of his class.

You need to watch Riley’s Tuesday’s night coach’s shows where he puts his well-known memory on display every week...ESPN has picked up on this.

It is a memory that is that is unmatched in OU football history and part of why he is such a hot pro commodity.

Riley’s high school science teachers were pissed off at him when they learned that he was going into coaching....They considered it a waste of a talented mind. They were dead serious when they told him that he could cure cancer.

By his junior year in High School Riley had taught himself math that exceeded the abilities of his math teachers.

I have been hearing about Lincoln since his spring semester at Tech because I know people who know people who are from Muleshoe TX. Leach recognized Riley’s unique genius. If not for Leach strong insistences Stoops would not have hired Riley.

Switzer is very smart but didn’t have nearly as much personal self-discipline....

Switzer was a great recruiter and a very good innovator but he is not in the same league when it comes to the emotional part of the game....with so many more scholarships to hand out he didn’t need to be....Switzer’s great teams had far more depth to work with. It’s harder to keep players happy today.
It's great he has a great memory. If he has a better memory that Bud Wilkinson that's awesome, but Bud won 3 national titles. If he has a better memory than Switzer that's awesome, but Switzer won 3 national titles. If he has a better memory than Stoops that's great, but Stoops won a national title and more wins than any coach in OU history. At this point, Riley has a great memory. He still has a lot of prove in terms of success on the football field. So right now, Riley just has a trophy for having a great memory.

Now where you really lose me is when you say Switzer isn't in the same league in the emotional part of the game. Clearly you have never listened to his former players talk about how much he meant to them back then, and how much he means to them even to this day. He could hand out a lot more scholarships and build far more depth, but so could Nebraska and other top programs back then. The emotional side of the sport was just as important back then as it is now.

Sure Switzer lacked some personal discipline off the field, but that takes nothing away from his competitiveness and abilities as a motivator with his football team.

It's not debatable whether or not Riley has a high IQ.
Coaching football doesn't require being on a "genius" level in the way you're applying it.
Switzer, Wilkinson, Bum Phillips, Stoops, Royal, Saban, or Swinney won't (or didn't) find a cure for cancer or recite Tolstoy, but in their own way they apply (or applied) their "genius" in making game plans and recruiting, developing and motivating players.

Each Coach is different...some create the family model...some are all business...some live in spotlight...some innovate and create change. I think Lincoln fits and embraces all but the spotlight. He is still developing as a Head Coach. For what he has done in 2 years is worthy of major respect. He is not perfection, but he learns and pretty much faced fact when he overhauled the D. The decision which most are giving 2 thumbs up.

Each Coach is different...some create the family model...some are all business...some live in spotlight...some innovate and create change. I think Lincoln fits and embraces all but the spotlight. He is still developing as a Head Coach. For what he has done in 2 years is worthy of major respect. He is not perfection, but he learns and pretty much faced fact when he overhauled the D. The decision which most are giving 2 thumbs up.
i agree....The deal is he doesn't make the same mistake twice, learns from others at a very high rate and that he is not 100% married to a system like Switzer was for many years.
Riley will be much quicker to evolve.

Reactions: kcstorm06
The Mensa from Muleshoe was AWOL in the critical 1st Q vs Bama (28 points and no answer) and the 4th Q vs UGA the year before that (D got that scoop and score and we just needed anything out of our O those last 3 possessions, but nothing).

Glad as hell we have Riley, but he has room to grow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT