ADVERTISEMENT

Who can beat us?

LR is a great coach and OU is fortunate we have him in Norman and probably will for some time BUT he does seem to get the 'yips' at least once per season. Hopefully this is the year that doesn't happen

The Mensa from Muleshoe was AWOL in the critical 1st Q vs Bama (28 points and no answer) and the 4th Q vs UGA the year before that (D got that scoop and score and we just needed anything out of our O those last 3 possessions, but nothing).

Glad as hell we have Riley, but he has room to grow.
He has room to grow...any coach at age 36 does... but Riley was handed one of, if not the worst defenses in school history...he adjusted in game and still moved the ball and scored lots of points on a SEC defense.

The OU defensive issue is now being resolved and it will only get better from here in the coming seasons. We have red shirt freshmen and true freshmen playing who are obviously going to be upgrades in talent.

On the other hand, Switzer was handed one of the top 1 or 2 defenses in school history including the school very best all time player regardless of position and a roster so deep that second string players who never started for OU were drafted by the NFL.

Switzer was handed a clear talent advantage on all sides of the ball over everyone but maybe USC and still lost games that he shouldn't have.

Reactions: iasooner1
OU should definitely be ahead of Klemson. They are only ranked where they are cuz they won it last year and maybe because of Lawerence. But he has had 7 interceptions thus far.
Go Sooners!

Reactions: Tollboothmgr
LR is a great coach and OU is fortunate we have him in Norman and probably will for some time BUT he does seem to get the 'yips' at least once per season. Hopefully this is the year that doesn't happen

Thats been an ongoing problem for years now. Stoops had quite a few of those "yips" as well

Every OU season in my lifetime, including the undefeated seasons, have had at least one game that unexpectedly gave OU all it could handle.
Just to recall a few:
The 1954-55-56 seasons had some close games, notably the 1956 game at Colorado when OU overcame a 19-6 halftime deficit to win 27-19.
1974 had OU with a 3rd quarter lead over Baylor by a score of 7-5, but OU turned it up in the 4th quarter with 3 scores and won 28-11. Switzer said afterwards that Baylor would have a good year....he was right as Baylor won the SWC and went to the Cotton Bowl.
1975 had OU on the ropes in a close win over a 5-6 Miami team, OU winning 20-17.....one of OU's ugliest wins ever.
1978 with perhaps OU's best one-loss team, the team escaped Kansas in Lawrence 17-16 as KU missed a 2-point conversion in the closing minutes.
1985 OU hung on to beat Minnesota 13-7 in the season opener in Minnesota.
2000 OU escaped a huge upset vs OSU 12-7 as Derrick Strait broke up a pass in the end zone late in the game.

No !!!!! No pumping of the breaks on that one at all.

Switzer had several horrible losses that were due to him and his staff and players who would party their asses off late into the night, screwing college girls and other games where OU was not a well-adjusted team... these were at times big distractions to his team.

On this Riley is light years ahead of Switzer and its not even remotely close. Riley is a great family man.

Switzer could not last very long today acting like he did in his personal life.

Barry might have been a bit slutty but that SOB could coach and win championships.

I will say this though. I think when teams drop games during the season they shouldn't drop, it has more to do with mindset. That drives motivation in how players approach and prepare each game depending on if they respect the opponent or not.

Every OU season in my lifetime, including the undefeated seasons, have had at least one game that unexpectedly gave OU all it could handle.
Just to recall a few:
The 1954-55-56 seasons had some close games, notably the 1956 game at Colorado when OU overcame a 19-6 halftime deficit to win 27-19.
1974 had OU with a 3rd quarter lead over Baylor by a score of 7-5, but OU turned it up in the 4th quarter with 3 scores and won 28-11. Switzer said afterwards that Baylor would have a good year....he was right as Baylor won the SWC and went to the Cotton Bowl.
1975 had OU on the ropes in a close win over a 5-6 Miami team, OU winning 20-17.....one of OU's ugliest wins ever.
1978 with perhaps OU's best one-loss team, the team escaped Kansas in Lawrence 17-16 as KU missed a 2-point conversion in the closing minutes.
1985 OU hung on to beat Minnesota 13-7 in the season opener in Minnesota.
2000 OU escaped a huge upset vs OSU 12-7 as Derrick Strait broke up a pass in the end zone late in the game.
What about losing to Kansas on Owen field in 1975....

This game reminds me of the 1990 Iowa State game in Norman. The ISU quarterback ran draw after draw on one leg. We never stopped him. Only difference is that game was a closer game than this one will end up.

Sermon 3 carries 9 yds
Brooks 3 carries 2 yds.
What happened to all those talented backs we have?
The running game has been a concern to me all season and K State shut it down completely.
If this team cannot find a running game we may drop one or 2 more.
The defense reverted back to its old self so not really surprised in that regard. Had been hoping it was a thing of the past but no its not.
Maybe next year.

it appears we SHOULD run thru the big 12 and ccg undefeated. no one left scares me including baylor in waco and osu in stillwater. so, off to the cfp. i'm guessing either bama or lsu, plus clemson and oh st. having not seen oh st or bama i'm not sure how good they really are. lsu and clemson i have seen and they're fine teams. beatable though.

On behalf of all non OU Big 12 fans, I am laughing my ass off at the arrogance of this post and today’s result.

it appears we SHOULD run thru the big 12 and ccg undefeated. no one left scares me including baylor in waco and osu in stillwater. so, off to the cfp. i'm guessing either bama or lsu, plus clemson and oh st. having not seen oh st or bama i'm not sure how good they really are. lsu and clemson i have seen and they're fine teams. beatable though.
Are you scared of baylor now? They are a physical Football team and you just got physically manhandled by K State.
BTW Baylor smoked KState in the little apple.

Reactions: BIGOSUFAN
On behalf of all non OU Big 12 fans, I am laughing my ass off at the arrogance of this post and today’s result.

giphy.gif

I
Are you scared of baylor now? They are a physical Football team and you just got physically manhandled by K State.
BTW Baylor smoked KState in the little apple.
If you read any of the posts aside from the OP no OU fan on here bought in to any of the hype. you will see level headed people making comments to the contrary. Reveling in the misery of others is sad.

You have a huge advantage over the OP. You have hindsight. It would have been far more impressive had you posted this before the game. You would have gotten props here. Instead, you come off a weak troll.

@Tollboothmgr - keep posting. I love reading what you have to say.

Last edited:
He doesn’t play the game. This is on the whole program. All 3 phases failed today.

When Hurts has almost 500 yards by himself hard to nitpick here, but why can't we establish the run vs a D known for pass defense so its not all on Hurts? And when your D looks hapless, its on you as HC/OC to maximize scoring opportunities - still too many passing attempts in the red zone like vs UT (I was afraid the red zone slant for a TD vs UWV would make Riley feel vindicated doing that vs UT, but today it lead to FGs).

On the pooch kick off we fumbled, why didn't Riley go to the STs coach and ask: "What's the adjustment for that coach?" Instead the very next KSU kick-off was another pooch that hit the field first (that luckily we recovered).

The buck stops with the HC and he needs to micromanage these things. Saban does....

Today is a perfect example of why it sucks for OU to be in the in the Big 12. A bunch of Mississippi State/South Carolina/Kentucky caliber teams who are good enough to be a trap game that will de-rail your season every few years, but not nearly good enough to be considered a "quality win" when you beat them.

I
If you read any of the posts aside from the OP no OU fan on here bought in to any of the hype. you will see level headed people making comments to the contrary. Reveling in the misery of others is sad.

He is just another typical asshat fan.

Today is a perfect example of why it sucks for OU to be in the in the Big 12. A bunch of Mississippi State/South Carolina/Kentucky caliber teams who are good enough to be a trap game that will de-rail your season every few years, but not nearly good enough to be considered a "quality win" when you beat them.
leave

Maybe OU’s defense isn’t as improved as some of us “knew” it was.

Some of us? LOL... I knew and posted as much. LOL

"there is no doubt that the defense is much improved over last year. Let's all hope the improvement continues as the Big 12 OCs make adjustments and design plays to counter this improved defense."

Picture the playoff oh wait i forgot you're no longer there. Wait for the Baylor game and after you can make your reservations to the alamo bowl in san antonio.

Wait you're trolling an OU board while you're team (whoever it is) can never see a playoff picture? But really though you living the playoff dream through OU warms my soul.

Happens to all coaches.

I agree it does happen when you are dealing with kids, but does it seem like it happens at OU more than it should? I realize last year we only lost to Texas, but most every other year we end up losing to either a Kstate, Iowa state, OSU, and even Baylor. I guess we aren't quite at that level where we can still win these games even when we don't play our best. Hard to understand how we can play so poorly with so much on the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT