ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia game prediction thread

..bigger gut check game than Tennessee was in my opinion.

Something in me is really thinking this statement will end up being right on the money. Something about this WVU game is just.....scary. And this is a game that prior to the season I really had no qualms about picking a win for OU and not thinking twice about it. I think this is a year that OU is very fortunate they get WVU in Norman. I dunno.....now something just really worries me about this game to the point that if it were in Morgantown I would be afraid OU may be in trouble. But I think being in Norman, OU will edge them in a pretty tight game.

41-37 OU

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Great to see you post Frou... this alone makes me think things are going to be good this Sat , but I do see a struggle. I have WV's defense being a bit tougher than year's past. But it's a home game, so I'm going with...

37-35 OU

I'm thinking this is a game of two halves. WVU comes out smoking in the first half and has success against our D, but can't mount a big lead. Meanwhile, they throw some defensive wrinkles that we've not seen and disrupts our offensive tempo and we can't get anything consistent going. Mountainners lead at half, 21-13.

OU makes adjustments in the second half and the offensive success WVU experienced in the first half runs into a stone wall. Offense gets untracked as Mayfield settles down and we start running with a sense of purpose, controlling the game and taking the lead in the 4Q to win solidly, but not spectacularly.

Sooners - 34
Couch Burners - 28

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I respect your team and always pull for you guys when your not playing us, but I just don't see you guys putting 40 on this defense......I could be wrong but I just don't see it. I don't think this year will be a shootout

I see a loud crowd in Norman getting to our young lads and some stupid penalties. OK is outfront early, tied at the half and West Virginia runs away with it late.
OU 24 WVU 42

Reactions: CE4WVU
One thing I will say is our games with you guys aren't decided til late in the game. Always exciting and I drink way too much while pacing around the living room like a mad man. I don't think this will be a shootout, but more of the last time we were at Norman.
A single turnover could be huge. I'm going 31-27 wvu

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
One thing I will say is our games with you guys aren't decided til late in the game. Always exciting and I drink way too much while pacing around the living room like a mad man. I don't think this will be a shootout, but more of the last time we were at Norman.
A single turnover could be huge. I'm going 31-27 wvu

"Drink too much, pacing around, madman".
You do that too?

Mmm, and I thought I had a problem or something...not so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Am I the only OU fan that sees us losing this one? I just think our defense is terrible. I hope I'm wrong
Dude the way we've played each other and the fact it's so early in the season, I don't think most feel confident on either side. Only thing that would surprise me is an epic beatdown from either side. I am glad its an early game just for the fact it would be the longest day ever waiting for kickoff. Obviously I hope we win but I hope both of us steamroll the rest of the conference. Especially Texas and Baylor. Tcu is going to have problems as the year wears on, they've lost so many players depth will become a problem

Dude the way we've played each other and the fact it's so early in the season, I don't think most feel confident on either side. Only thing that would surprise me is an epic beatdown from either side. I am glad its an early game just for the fact it would be the longest day ever waiting for kickoff. Obviously I hope we win but I hope both of us steamroll the rest of the conference. Especially Texas and Baylor. Tcu is going to have problems as the year wears on, they've lost so many players depth will become a problem

Yep, long gone are the days of 'absolutes'.
I admit, I got totally spoiled in the 70's. I could get up Saturday morning and know OU was going to win their game that day. The only question was by how much...40, 60 points?
Especially if it was one of the many doormats in the Big 8 back then.

It was a great time to be a Sooner rooter.
Still is but...different.

Reactions: wvuwins10
Yep, long gone are the days of 'absolutes'.
I admit, I got totally spoiled in the 70's. I could get up Saturday morning and know OU was going to win their game that day. The only question was by how much...40, 60 points?
Especially if it was one of the many doormats in the Big 8 back then.

It was a great time to be a Sooner rooter.
Still is but...different.
We felt that recently in the big East. Pretty much "ho hum" thru the season then prove we were good at the bowl game. Moving here def made us recruit harder and the parity, while aggravating at times, is much more exciting.
Btw I always check out team boards the week we play and you guys are among the best. Some teams don't even have a post in the last 3 months and OB is still recovering from that foot fetish scam artist debacle. Have a great time with sooner fans on here and the national board

Most WV fans are good fans who actually live in the real world. I actually felt for them in 2007 ( I think it was 07) when they were upset by Pitt at seasons end costing them a spot in the NC game.

As for this game I would think anyone who isnt concerned about this game is crazy. I know I am vey concerned about the OU defense and I think WV has a better offense than Tulsa does. I am not sold uet on their defense because they haven't exactly played anyone yet I would consider as a real test for their defense.

This Saturday we will find out just how good that defense is and if the OU offense is bogged down by it then the sky will be the limit for the Mountaineers this year.

However I also think our defense will play a much better game this week and the OU offense will move the ball well enough to get the win.

If neither happens West Virginia may just win big.

OU 31-20

I think WV has a better offense than Tulsa does.

I don't know about this. Tulsa's WR's are better than the Mountaineer's WR's by everything I've seen. Take away those opportunities to burn our corners, and I think OU's chances are very promising to stop a ground game. Those short slant passes might kill us, but WV cannot do that all day long.

OU 38
WV 17

Last edited:
Reactions: frou and K2C Sooner
I don't know about this. Tulsa's WR's are better than the Mountaineer's WR's by everything I've seen. Take away those opportunities to burn our corners, and I think OU's chances are very promising to stop a ground game. Those short slant passes might kill us, but WV cannot do that all day long.

OU 38
WV 17

I hope your right 22

I see a 5 point game whether it's in the 30's or 40's with the last score coming very late. I hope it's OU doing the scoring at the end. I think it's going to be another great game. It's just going to be that kind of year, IMO.

I'm excited about this game. Big home game. I don't think it will be easy. What do you gurus think?

rszvl.jpg

OU 38
WV 17
Actually our long passes have been pretty solid. Our wideouts have stepped up. As young as they may be they come down with some ridiculous catches. Very good hands and very fast

Most WV fans are good fans who actually live in the real world. I actually felt for them in 2007 ( I think it was 07) when they were upset by Pitt at seasons end costing them a spot in the NC game.

As for this game I would think anyone who isnt concerned about this game is crazy. I know I am vey concerned about the OU defense and I think WV has a better offense than Tulsa does. I am not sold uet on their defense because they haven't exactly played anyone yet I would consider as a real test for their defense.

This Saturday we will find out just how good that defense is and if the OU offense is bogged down by it then the sky will be the limit for the Mountaineers this year.

However I also think our defense will play a much better game this week and the OU offense will move the ball well enough to get the win.

If neither happens West Virginia may just win big.

OU 31-20

I think our secondary is just about as good as you will find - LBs are good - and Dline is untested IMHO. I think you guys may find success running the football. It will be interesting to see how our young players on offense respond early. If we come out hot and get up early we can win this. I think if its close at halftime odds shift considerably in OU's favor.

Can't pick against WVU so will go with: WVU 34 OU 31

If the dirt thieves commit to running Perine all night, I think they wear us down at the end.

However, God's favored will go up big with shock and awe, and the "laters" will be too far behind to be able to stick with the run.

Therefore, Mountain Men 38 - Children of the plains 17.

All joking aside, I love being in the B12 with you guys. Every week is awesome, and it is nice not to have to carry an entire conference on your back year after year like we did in the Big Least. Any given year any team outside of Kansas or Iowa State could step up and be the flag bearer for the league. It is nice to have OU and UT as our anchor programs in the conference.

Good luck after Saturday, and I will pray Karl Joseph doesn't kill one of your receivers.

Reactions: LongTimeSooner
If the dirt thieves commit to running Perine all night, I think they wear us down at the end.

However, God's favored will go up big with shock and awe, and the "laters" will be too far behind to be able to stick with the run.

Therefore, Mountain Men 38 - Children of the plains 17.

All joking aside, I love being in the B12 with you guys. Every week is awesome, and it is nice not to have to carry an entire conference on your back year after year like we did in the Big Least. Any given year any team outside of Kansas or Iowa State could step up and be the flag bearer for the league. It is nice to have OU and UT as our anchor programs in the conference.

Good luck after Saturday, and I will pray Karl Joseph doesn't kill one of your receivers.

Yeah, I vaguely remember that one.
Ole #8 put some stank on it!

Reactions: doneagain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT