ADVERTISEMENT

Unprecendented

Was thinking earlier that he is probably one of the most overrated qb's in sooner history.

People said the same thing about Lamar Jackson when he was at Louisville. Look at him now as the Baltimore Raven QB

Jason White, Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield, and Kyler Murray and many other QBs have never won a National Championship.

Jalen Hurts has and he is a leader. .

Some NFL team will draft him as a QB.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
At the beginning of the year, I was hoping and even posted that after the second loss he should be benched and replaced to give Rattler some valued game time. That second loss never came. He got us to the playoff game and I'm a firm believer that you have to dance with the one you brung... but after today's loss, wow..it sure feels like we lost a year with Rattler. Now next year he'll have to go through his learning curve year.

Last edited:
Please explain. You're seeing something that I'm not seeing. You've said this several times. How is it that you know that another QB such as Rattler could not have done as well?

I have said this too and I don't know that Rattler could not have done it. What I do know is Riley didn't think he could or any other QB on the team and went with Hurts as the starter. I am guessing Riley knows his QB's better than we do and what they can and cannot do.
Not arguing with anybody just my opinion.
Would love to ask Lincoln why he brought in Hurts but he would never say even if I could.
I don't think Riley just gambled and went with Hurts because of his experience, there has to be another reason, Hurts was just the better QB.

Here's a question: Considering we took a beatdown of epic proportions caused in part by missing a few of our best/better players, as a fan what do you think their status should be entering next year? Are they still in the same depth chart position?

Yet OU wouldn’t have had 11 wins this year without him.
That has nothing to do with him being overrated. He was a solid qb but was not nearly as good as he was made out to be. He was also the reason we barely won a few games with all his turnovers. He served a purpose and gave rattler some time to sit and watch.

Here's a question: Considering we took a beatdown of epic proportions caused in part by missing a few of our best/better players, as a fan what do you think their status should be entering next year? Are they still in the same depth chart position?

Give em a one way ticket to go smoke it up with Snoop Dogg.

We have a player on the team that keeps using that word to describe his "journey". I agree that fooling two different blue-blood programs into thinking that you are a quarterback is truly unprecedented.

As is this ass-whipping.

Unprecedented.
As in OU making the playoffs 4 times and has ZERO PLAYOFF WINS. 3 of those losses were beatdowns and one where we had a big lead and lost in OT. Yep thats unprecedented alright. No other team can or would want to say that they have done that.

Well at this point I'm not sure they have anyone to take their place
And therein lies the problem. When you have no depth and your starters are just adequate then the next guy is not you cannot discipline properly. Those that put the program in this position should be asked to leave. How can you instill discipline if there is no consequence?

Well some should take a back seat for sure. Unfortunately for some players, until they find better replacements (recruits) we'll see more of them.

After tonight's beat down, that recruiting trail just got harder too. This is concerning.

Unprecedented.
As in OU making the playoffs 4 times and has ZERO PLAYOFF WINS. 3 of those losses were beatdowns and one where we had a big lead and lost in OT. Yep thats unprecedented alright. No other team can or would want to say that they have done that.

OU does not make the playoffs these four years w/o Riley. He needs better players... period. 5.9 & 6.0 recruits. And that's on him. There is no excuses any longer. Recruiting is the most important part of an rganization. Every HS recruit is a free agent so to speak. Attracting them to your school is extremely important. LR has set the tone for Offensive recruits, he's got to do the same thing for defensive recruits as well.

Now ask yourself this, do you think Baker or Kyler could have won tonight's game with this team?

Last edited:
OU does not make the playoffs these four years w/o Riley. He needs better players... period. 5.9 & 6.0 recruits. And that's on him. There is no excuses any longer. Recruiting is the most important part of an rganization. Every HS recruit is a free agent so to speak. Attracting them to your school is extremely important. LR has set the tone for Offensive recruits, he's got to do the same thing for defensive recruits as well.

Now ask yourself this, do you think Baker or Kyler could have won tonight's game with this team?

No I don't think Kyler or Baker would have won this game tonight. All around we don't have the same type of players those other teams have. We are below them quite a bit all over the field on both sides of the ball.

You absolutely do not know this to be true.
Of course not, but would Rattler have accounted for 5,149 total yards and 52 touchdowns and been a Heisman finalist ?
Hurts was clearly no Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray. That's not even debatable. And Rattler may prove to be a much better QB than Hurts even with less than the gaudy numbers Hurts put up.
But would Rattler's efforts this year have been enough to overcome OU's defensive issues ? Those issues did not help the Mayfield or Murray led teams from 2015-2018.
What's keeping OU from competing with the likes of LSU, Clemson or Ohio State is not about the QB position as it is playing defense and anyone who's watched this team game after game in recent years should know this.
The last three years in the first round of the playoffs OU surrendered 162 points (54 points per game average) to the much hated...and envied...SEC competition.

Come on now don't you realize our defense was heads and tails better than last year?

It was better statistically but every time we found ourselves giving it some praise it reverted to last seasons debacle. Last night it was horrible but somewhat expected against Burrows and company. They looked lost in the secondary and got no real pressure on Burrows while those top of the line receivers made every catch in the books.

What hurt even more was watching the offense struggle and look average. At 21-7 this game was over and I think we all knew it. Hurts earned some praise this season but LR limited the offense by not having the same passing QB of the past. In this game after halftime the best thing he could have done is throw in Rattler for playing time and think about next year. His dedication to Hurts though never wavered.

I have no clue what next year brings as far as the type of season OU has but unless both sides improve I could see OU losing a couple of games but at least we wouldn’t have to watch our team get thrashed again in the playoffs. Last night ranks right up there with the USC game.

Reactions: iasooner1
There’s 120+ teams around the country that would gladly trade places with us. We have had a chance in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. I’ll take that any day.

Reactions: sockless_blonde
I agree but if OU would have been competitive losing would have been easier to take. Its getting blown out that is the issue.
Getting blown out should have been expected. Having an average qb with average passing skills, a depleted defense, and an ejection......we didn’t have a chance.

yep, LR will no longer be afforded a 1 loss team to a KSU or even Baylor if there are other things be loss teams out there. For awhile now going forward, OU have to be undefeated to reach the playoffs unless they are expanded.

WNAS, I don't think OU would have been at the same level as LSU, OSU or Clemson even if we had beaten Kansas State. Last night was eye-opening. To think that four 13-0 teams could have ended up in the playoff and one would be so out of place is really wild.

We have a player on the team that keeps using that word to describe his "journey". I agree that fooling two different blue-blood programs into thinking that you are a quarterback is truly unprecedented.

As is this ass-whipping.

He's not too bad. He finished 2nd in the Heisman voting. But he was pretty clearly, the fourth best quarterback in the playoffs.

WNAS, I don't think OU would have been at the same level as LSU, OSU or Clemson even if we had beaten Kansas State. Last night was eye-opening. To think that four 13-0 teams could have ended up in the playoff and one would be so out of place is really wild.
I believe that OU would not be....and has not been....on the level of LSU, Ohio State or Clemson even if they had gone undefeated. The Big 12 is not a strong conference and it is one reason why OU is painted into a corner by being a member of the Big 12, even with its recent dominance.
To agree with WNAS, the game yesterday could throw a wrench into Grinch's recruiting in the next few years as he tries to remove the influence of Mike Stoops on OU's defensive game. LSU, like Alabama, Georgia and Clemson, reveals there is a long road ahead for Grinch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT