ADVERTISEMENT

Unprecendented

I believe that OU would not be....and has not been....on the level of LSU, Ohio State or Clemson even if they had gone undefeated. The Big 12 is not a strong conference and it is one reason why OU is painted into a corner by being a member of the Big 12, even with its recent dominance.
To agree with WNAS, the game yesterday could throw a wrench into Grinch's recruiting in the next few years as he tries to remove the influence of Mike Stoops on OU's defensive game. LSU, like Alabama, Georgia and Clemson, reveals there is a long road ahead for Grinch.

I could almost guarantee you that OU would be more likely to recruit better athletes if we were in another conference..

Hurts was a liability, clear as day. Riley masked most of his weaknesses with his own brilliance but Lincoln's offense as a whole was handcuffed by Hurts defeciencies. Then the turnovers came. We regressed. I'd like to see the numbers offensively post Kansas State.

Grinch did his best Mike Stoops impression last night with a cowardly game plan. Soft zone coverages and 3 and 4 man rush. Yeah let's give the most historically accurate quarterback ever all day to throw. Brilliant. I get that losing Perkins was big, as was DTY, but that's the most infuriating part, when our backs are against the wall, we don't fight like a cornered animal. We coach and play with an attempt to not get blown out... which always leads to getting blown out.

Saban had the stones to bench Hurts. Riley was to nice. Grinch didn't have the guts to attack Burrow with a depleted roster so he let and NFL QB with NFL receivers and an NFL offensive coordinator do whatever they want.

After the supensions and losses I knew we were boned. I wanted to see a different attitude though. So far it's still the same as what Bob and Mike left. Try to avoid as much embarrassment as possible when you're out gunned.

That has nothing to do with him being overrated. He was a solid qb but was not nearly as good as he was made out to be. He was also the reason we barely won a few games with all his turnovers. He served a purpose and gave rattler some time to sit and watch.

Agreed 100% OUnabomber...

Jalen started the season like a house afire but seemed to peak and then digress...One thing I noticed against LSU was the lack of zip to many of his passes which was not an issue earlier in the year

Reactions: iasooner1
Grinch did his best Mike Stoops impression last night with a cowardly game plan. Soft zone coverages and 3 and 4 man rush. Yeah let's give the most historically accurate quarterback ever all day to throw. Brilliant. I get that losing Perkins was big, as was DTY, but that's the most infuriating part, when our backs are against the wall, we don't fight like a cornered animal. We coach and play with an attempt to not get blown out... which always leads to getting blown out.

Burrow threw over blitzes repeatedly all day. Drive number one, two times. Drive three, four blitzes with three completions, one stuff on a run. His first two touchdowns were on blitzes.

Maybe some Burrow magic on a few plays early in the game, Motley missed a pick, K9 goes down chasing him and he throws it up for grabs. His third td pass came on a blitz with Broiles getting beat.

The fact of this game? Oklahoma was outmanned by LSU at almost every spot on the field. The Sooners made a few plays early, but by the end of the first quarter, this game was over.

yep, LR will no longer be afforded a 1 loss team to a KSU or even Baylor if there are other one loss teams out there. For awhile now going forward, OU have to be undefeated to reach the playoffs unless they are expanded.

LR was not afforded that this year. His team was the ONLY team in a major conference with one-loss THIS year.
The committee will continue to try to put the best 4 teams in the playoff every year.
Because OU lost last year or the year before, doesn't mean they will be left out if they are the 3rd or 4th best team.
Just because they lost in 2019, doesn't mean the committee will pick a team that is not as good as OU next year.

LR was not afforded that this year. His team was the ONLY team in a major conference with one-loss THIS year.
The committee will continue to try to put the best 4 teams in the playoff every year.
Because OU lost last year or the year before, doesn't mean they will be left out if they are the 3rd or 4th best team.
Just because they lost in 2019, doesn't mean the committee will pick a team that is not as good as OU next year.

Perhaps your right. But I think if they're choosing between two or three teams w/ one loss, the past 4 playoff performances will be in the back of the minds of committee mebers.

As trademarcs has pointed out, I disagree with you. I'd say at least 120 other teams would love to be able to say exactly that.

Maybe but getting there only to be blown out and a laughingstock sure does not help our cause any. We already hear all the time how the big 12 is weak, does not play defense and cannot play with the elite teams then we go and prove them right.

Maybe but getting there only to be blown out and a laughingstock sure does not help our cause any. We already hear all the time how the big 12 is weak, does not play defense and cannot play with the elite teams then we go and prove them right.

I agree 67............I can't see how being in the playoffs and getting blown out 2 years in a row really helps our cause. We better be very impressive in the future or no way are we sneaking in again.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Burrow threw over blitzes repeatedly all day. Drive number one, two times. Drive three, four blitzes with three completions, one stuff on a run. His first two touchdowns were on blitzes.

Maybe some Burrow magic on a few plays early in the game, Motley missed a pick, K9 goes down chasing him and he throws it up for grabs. His third td pass came on a blitz with Broiles getting beat.

The fact of this game? Oklahoma was outmanned by LSU at almost every spot on the field. The Sooners made a few plays early, but by the end of the first quarter, this game was over.

LSU was a buzzsaw Saturday night and I don't think ANYONE could have beaten them.

Clemson better hope it is a one game wonder...

I truthfully can’t see anything stopping LSU’s attack. While Clemson’s D is strong like last year, LSU offense will gash them too at will. My guess on a score 48-27 LSU.

Heard Dusty talking on the animal about Clemson having a chance to break our 47 game win streak if they are able to get past LSU. Good reason to go for the bengals

Jalen Hurts has been nothing but class since he left Alabama and came to OU. I get tired of people bagging on him. He played with Heart and Leadership all Season and is one of only a few QBs to have 30 Passing TDs and 20 Rushing TDs in a College Season. The following is a great example of Hurts Class:

Q. Jalen, you talked a lot about your college football career being unprecedented. Take me through how do you hope OU fans in this program just remember your time here at Oklahoma, being here only 12 months.
JALEN HURTS: It's hard to just sit here and reflect on four years, a whole year with my brothers this year, all of that right now. It hurts me. You talk about how much it means to you and the team. It's supposed to hurt. This is not a good feeling. This is a feeling I've never felt before.

It hurts me in my heart, you know. When I decided to come to this school, I told Coach Riley, I'm going to go win you a National Championship, and I failed to do that.

Moving forward, I definitely hope -- I've already told them, I hope that you guys learn from this. I hope everybody learns from this. It hurts me the most because usually, when you come up short in something, you can come back and you can fix it. I can't come back and fix it. I'll never play college football again.

Jalen Hurts has been nothing but class since he left Alabama and came to OU. I get tired of people bagging on him. He played with Heart and Leadership all Season and is one of only a few QBs to have 30 Passing TDs and 20 Rushing TDs in a College Season. The following is a great example of Hurts Class:

Q. Jalen, you talked a lot about your college football career being unprecedented. Take me through how do you hope OU fans in this program just remember your time here at Oklahoma, being here only 12 months.
JALEN HURTS: It's hard to just sit here and reflect on four years, a whole year with my brothers this year, all of that right now. It hurts me. You talk about how much it means to you and the team. It's supposed to hurt. This is not a good feeling. This is a feeling I've never felt before.

It hurts me in my heart, you know. When I decided to come to this school, I told Coach Riley, I'm going to go win you a National Championship, and I failed to do that.

Moving forward, I definitely hope -- I've already told them, I hope that you guys learn from this. I hope everybody learns from this. It hurts me the most because usually, when you come up short in something, you can come back and you can fix it. I can't come back and fix it. I'll never play college football again.

I am of the same mindset. Baker couldn't get it done, Kyler couldn't either. While we are at it add Landry, White and Bradford to that list.
I was more disapointed when we lost to USC, Florida and LSU when those other guys played, I really thought those guys should have won a title except for Landry. The USC game we ran into a superior team.
These past 3 playoff teams with Baker, Murray and Hurts I never thought they could get it done. When you go back and look at OU's history in big games we were 1-3 in BCS Title games and are now 0-4 in the playoffs. You could say 1-7 in Big Games when a lot is on the line as in a National Title is at stake. Look further at those that were blowouts and it looks even uglier.

Heard Dusty talking on the animal about Clemson having a chance to break our 47 game win streak if they are able to get past LSU. Good reason to go for the bengals
If Clemson can beat the streak in this day and time more power to them. I don’t care if they play in the ACC that would be almost unimaginable.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I am of the same mindset. Baker couldn't get it done, Kyler couldn't either. While we are at it add Landry, White and Bradford to that list.
I was more disapointed when we lost to USC, Florida and LSU when those other guys played, I really thought those guys should have won a title except for Landry. The USC game we ran into a superior team.
These past 3 playoff teams with Baker, Murray and Hurts I never thought they could get it done. When you go back and look at OU's history in big games we were 1-3 in BCS Title games and are now 0-4 in the playoffs. You could say 1-7 in Big Games when a lot is on the line as in a National Title is at stake. Look further at those that were blowouts and it looks even uglier.
No OU quarterback can "get it done" until OU stops giving up 63, 45, 54, 37 and 40 points in bowl games and/or CFB playoffs, as well as the regular season.....which is THE reason why "Number 8" hasn't happened.
OU's offensive output since 2009, when injuries (15) wrecked the Sooner roster, has been plenty good to run the table. Ironically that 2009 8-5 team played well on defense with one exception...the 41-13 loss to Texas Tech.

Hurts' end of the year performance reminded me of what Troy Aikman constantly harps... The only thing a successful QB needs is to be accurate. Not arm strength, not football IQ, not quick feet.... Just be accurate and then the offensive coordinator can figure out how to make you successful.

Hurts was not accurate.

Hurts' end of the year performance reminded me of what Troy Aikman constantly harps... The only thing a successful QB needs is to be accurate. Not arm strength, not football IQ, not quick feet.... Just be accurate and then the offensive coordinator can figure out how to make you successful.

Hurts was not accurate.

You’re right yet I still hear all these talking heads mention him as a draft choice within the first 3 rounds. I’m trying to imagine Jalen playing in the NFL.

You’re right yet I still hear all these talking heads mention him as a draft choice within the first 3 rounds. I’m trying to imagine Jalen playing in the NFL.

Not going to happen at the QB position. He's lucky in that there are a ton of NFL teams that need a QB and will likely make a desperation pick hoping for a miracle.

Look at every NFL playoff team... They have a QB that you know. Almost every non playoff team is lacking a QB.

Always hard to tell what a player will do in the NFL. Been a lot of good players out of College get drafted and go bust and quite a few avg College Players get drafted and excel in the No Fun League.
Would like to see him get drafted and do well.
Baker is pretty accurate but I saw a few days ago he had like 22 td passes and 21 interceptions this season. No surprise to me, I knew after he got married this summer that he was in for a bad year lol.

Last edited:
C'mon, 67. 90% of your posts include an image, and this is the time you decide not to come through???

Lol. Apologies.
At one point in the new movie, "Any Given Sunday," Lauren Holly, playing the wife of battered 39-year-old quarterback Cap Rooney, slaps Rooney (played by a pudgy Dennis Quaid) when he tells her he's going to retire.

fhd999AGS_Lauren_Holly_008@014321.jpg

And a video of the slap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT