ADVERTISEMENT

sugar bowl attendance

If they are that good, money will come. My hell a bunch of athletes go broke, don't know hoe to deal with finances. An 18 year old can even make normal decisions.
Okay so because you don't think they can properly manage money or finances, that it justifies taking away from their ability to profit on their own talents outside of a free education?

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Why does there have to be a line in terms of what an athlete can make on the free market? And I notice you are making mention of "Alabama" or "Arizona" paying different amounts. I'm not promoting the idea of the schools or programs paying athletes. Now there is no doubt some markets are more profitable than others in this country. That's just a fact of life
So if you want to allow endorsements, Bob Stoops dresses his team out in Nike uniforms... what if Baker Mayfield gets an Adidas endorsement?

Even in the NBA, players cover their sneakers because of endorsements and "uniform policies."

Reactions: iasooner1
Oh you mean the current climate where college sports have no problems all?
Promotion is great for some that have futures in football past college. But for the vast majority the only window of opportunity to profit from their talents is during college as they will have no future once their eligibility runs out. And all the promotion up to that point got them what?
Then if they are not good enough, use the education. If any money changes hand then it should be put into a fund for them. Now let's look at high school, should we pay them too. Too many issues.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
But for the vast majority the only window of opportunity to profit from their talents is during college as they will have no future once their eligibility runs out. And all the promotion up to that point got them what?
A $200,000+ education with a degree if they are smart enough...

Reactions: iasooner1
Okay so because you don't think they can properly manage money or finances, that it justifies taking away from their ability to profit on their own talents outside of a free education?
Some can, some cant. They are profiting by being allowed to showcase their talents.

So if you want to allow endorsements, Bob Stoops dresses his team out in Nike uniforms... what if Baker Mayfield gets an Adidas endorsement?

Even in the NBA, players cover their sneakers because of endorsements and "uniform policies."
Sounds like something that Baker and Adidas would have to work out. If the NBA forces players to covers logos on sneakers during game and the companies still want to sign them, then what's the problem?

Yeah because the schools get a discount on endorsements. Just think of the $$$$$ for shoes, and etc. They get a nice workout gym, trainers, dieticians, doctors and etc.

Sounds like something that Baker and Adidas would have to work out. If the NBA forces players to covers logos on sneakers during game and the companies still want to sign them, then what's the problem?
So there should be no problem with the NCAA imposing their rules... oh, they already do...

Reactions: soonerfastnloud

No different than going to a private schools that have uniforms. What if Baker wanted to wear a different color uniform..

A $200,000+ education with a degree if they are smart enough...
I wouldn't exactly equate a degree with a education. These kids aren't coming to OU to focus on school. They are here to play football. They do what they need to do in the classroom to style eligible.
Besides, since when is a degree a guarantee of success in life? It's a degree. A piece of paper. Plenty of people in this country that graduate with a degree and are still unemployed.
Still makes no sense to deny an athlete from profiting on their own talents outside of an education just because you THINK it's enough.

Oregon alum Phil Knight decides he will buy the best in the world for Oregon athletics with endorsements, then he decides the second best will be given Converse endorsement deals as walk ons... how's that work for you?

What if a university wants to endorse someone?

athletes are trained and coached up to their potental, all because of personal trainers. Without that most of them would just be an average joe.

Besides, since when is a degree a guarantee of success in life? It's a degree. A piece of paper. Plenty of people in this country that graduate with a degree and are still unemployed.
Neither is being a badass drummer with a 2 1/2 octave vocal range.

Choices have consequences. You and I both know this. If you choose to go to a university on scholarship, you sign a deal. If you aren't smart enough to get a degree or make it to the pro's, then maybe you should have been a burger flipping teen and worked towards management...

Imposing uniforms rules is fine by me. Imposing restrictions on a person's right to profit off their own names and talents is and mother. I mean hell I thought this was a country built on capitalism?
Let's see, they have that option, they could just be a walk on in the NFL. Without OU'S help in showcasing their talents, they have nothing. Maybe they should try on their own.

Oregon alum Phil Knight decides he will buy the best in the world for Oregon athletics with endorsements, then he decides the second best will be given Converse endorsement deals as walk ons... how's that work for you?

What if a university wants to endorse someone?
If the players are worth it, then other markets should pony up to counter it. I would rather an endorsement war than the current situation where players aren't given their due in a market worth tens of billions of dollars. And if it destroys the world of college athletics then it was a world built on the backs of the free labor provided by college aged athletes

If the players are worth it, then other markets should pony up to counter it. I would rather an endorsement war than the current situation where players aren't given their due in a market worth tens of billions of dollars. And if it destroys the world of college athletics then it was a world built on the backs of the free labor provided by college aged athletes
That is sad. College football would never be the same. I would rather see a minor football league.

Let's see, they have that option, they could just be a walk on in the NFL. Without OU'S help in showcasing their talents, they have nothing. Maybe they should try on their own.
So? The school gets rewarded plenty for "showcasing" the players talents in the millions generated every year from those players performance on the field.

I could care less that any football player gets one cent for their name in college. Every time they run out on the field with their name on it, is an endorsementioned to them.

So? The school gets rewarded plenty for "showcasing" the players talents in the millions generated every year from those players performance on the field.
I don't know about you, but I like seeing our stadium upgrades, having the latest in workout equipment. Who cares. Not going in my pockets.

Maybe one of them could get millions while in college, why even show up for practice. I bet their demeanor would be awesome because they make more than the coach.

I don't know about you, but I like seeing our stadium upgrades, having the latest in workout equipment. Who cares. Not going in my pockets.
Hey I like them too. But I also know without the players those projects wouldn't be possible or even necessary. And what's sad is what I'm talking about wouldn't affect OUs athletic dept budget one cent.

Getting their name out to the public, NFL, sports writers. What do you think most of them are playing towards. I know let's get their mom a house like Reggie Bush got while playing at USC.
So getting their names to sports writers or the NFL does what for them??? Getting a players name out there does nothing for the vast majority of kids who have zero future in football after college.

So a player signing an endorsement deal based on his PERFORMANCE would lead such player to stop playing? Do you even think before you post?? Lol
So getting their names to sports writers or the NFL does what for them??? Getting a players name out there does nothing for the vast majority of kids who have zero future in football after college.
Those that have zero chances would not get a dime from endorsements, but he is playing. Is that fair. Only the top elite in college would get endorsements. That is what is wrong with the now generations always want a dollar for everthing they do. I am old school and that's how I live. Give athletes scholarships, training etc is enough.

At that point, no scholarship should be awarded. They should be able to pay their own way. And at that point, they are now contracted to whomever, and can pay for personal trainers, insurance, etc...

Who knows how much they will make. I just know that the women won't get much, if any. Let them pay for their own housing. Who knows maybe one of them will get a house.

They can start paying for this as well...

"The NCAA provides all student-athletes at all active member institutions coverage under the catastrophic program, and the NCAA pays 100 percent of the current $13.5 million premium. This program provides $20 million in lifetime benefits to student-athletes who become totally disabled while practicing or playing[1]. These benefits include medical expenses as well as disability benefits. Disability benefits include monthly cash payments, funds to modify a home to accommodate wheelchairs, accessible vehicles, etc., in addition to funds to complete an undergraduate or graduate degree. The NCAA’s Catastrophic Program is one of the most comprehensive sport-related programs of its kind."

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/sport-science-institute/insurance-coverage-student-athletes

Who knows how much they will make. I just know that the women won't get much, if any. Let them pay for their own housing. Who knows maybe one of them will get a house.

Hell yes! Party time at Aaron's place. Don't invite Dick Rawlings, please. I should be the only PRICK allowed...

Those that have zero chances would not get a dime from endorsements, but he is playing. Is that fair. Only the top elite in college would get endorsements. That is what is wrong with the now generations always want a dollar for everthing they do. I am old school and that's how I live. Give athletes scholarships, training etc is enough.
You can say this with certainty? Not all college stars end up banking it bigtime in the NFL. You got kids who play for OU, who are big names in the local market, but nationally aren't all the big of a draw. What's wrong with lining up some local endorsements?? And yes you are old school....in terms of "it's always been this way, so I don't want it to change".

But here is the deal, you say "GIVE athletes scholarships, training etc". Where have I said anything about athletes being GIVEN anything?? First of all, I'm not promoting the schools "giving" them anything beyond what they are currently getting. Second, if an athlete is able to get a deal to make some money then it's through his own work and time to find such deals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT