ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops out, Riley in.....

Cale could also take over QB coaching from Riley.

Offensive Coaching, we've got 4 capable guys.

Bill Bedenbaugh - potential OC
Cale Gundy - potential OC/QB/RB coach
Jay Boulware - probably sticks to RB/FB and Special Teams
Dennis Simmons - sticks to WR coach

Maybe you keep Bedenbaugh at OL but make him Co-OC with Cale Gundy. Cale takes QBs. Bedenbaugh/Gundy/Riley all develop offensive game plans. Riley calls the plays.

Reactions: iasooner1
It wouldn't surprise me if he's always the play caller or co-play caller like Urban Meyer. He has to have an offensive coordinator though, so he can do head coaching duties. I bet they move people up/around for now, and the double-duties get shared like Bob has done in the past.

Remember, Cale Gundy is only coaching inside receivers while Dennis Simmons is doing outside receivers. Maybe Dennis takes over all receivers. Cale moves to either offensive coordinator for this year, or since he's currently Assistant Head Coach, he focuses on assisting Lincoln in head coaching duties so Lincoln can focus on offensive coordinator.

I agree that they don't make a rush position fill. There are enough coaches on staff to take care of all duties without Lincoln being the one that takes the brunt of the blow.

I like the sound of that!

frydaze, satadaze, sundaze...YOU are a TROLL...You waltz in here, stirring the pot, and start running your mouth about things of which you know NOTHING...Saddle up that horse you rode in on, and Vamoose! And Don't Look in a Mirror...You will Not Like what you see...

Another fanatic. You were one of the clowns who was ripping on Stoops when things didnt go to your liking and now you sound all weepy. Typical fanatic.

Bob is invested heavily in Norman and the OKC area...many people dont know but Bob started a bank in OKC with others and they have capitalized at least once more to help it grow faster...hes also involved in several businesses in the area and outside the area...just saying...so his roots are here...

This maybe a stretch but maybe Bob knows the only way OU can win another Natty is if he is their shadow D coordinator. He can sit home chill not worry about any other work except film study while his kids are at school...he can devise a game plan without interruption....he is going to be a football consultant as it is...so why not use the opportunity to be able to steer Lincoln in his wisdom and be able to help Mike effectively come up with better game plans without sacrificing time away from his family with practice and travel....just a thought...it was just good timing for it all to fall into place...maybe a year or two sooner than expected but just a good time for all involved...

This maybe a stretch but maybe Bob knows the only way OU can win another Natty is if he is their shadow D coordinator. He can sit home chill not worry about any other work except film study while his kids are at school...he can devise a game plan without interruption....he is going to be a football consultant as it is...so why not use the opportunity to be able to steer Lincoln in his wisdom and be able to help Mike effectively come up with better game plans
If this is true, then it means Mike is literally in over his head in his current position, and Riley needs to start looking for another DC that doesn't need to a babysitter to help him come up with game plans.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
Okay, I've had a couple of days to really think on it, and have decided not to try and figure out why Bob retired, what's going to happen to Mike, is this going to negatively affect the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes, will Bob's departure cause our current scholarship players to digress, is Lincoln really ready to be THE man, etc., etc., etc. As of right now, I'm all in with Lincoln Riley, the head coach of the OU Sooners, and can't wait for him to lead the 2017 Sooners onto the field come September. Boomer Sooner!!

Okay, I've had a couple of days to really think on it, and have decided not to try and figure out why Bob retired, what's going to happen to Mike, is this going to negatively affect the 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes, will Bob's departure cause our current scholarship players to digress, is Lincoln really ready to be THE man, etc., etc., etc. As of right now, I'm all in with Lincoln Riley, the head coach of the OU Sooners, and can't wait for him to lead the 2017 Sooners onto the field come September. Boomer Sooner!!

100%!

Bob's just fine. He's got the money to handle his problems.

Now if y'all want to brainstorm on how to make me a millionaire too, let's start a thread and kick around some ideas.

100%!

Bob's just fine. He's got the money to handle his problems.

Now if y'all want to brainstorm on how to make me a millionaire too, let's start a thread and kick around some ideas.

I've read enough of your OT posts to say that you will definitely get to that level one day sooner than you think. Think "multi", man.

I've read enough of your OT posts to say that you will definitely get to that level one day sooner than you think. Think "multi", man.

But I prefer effortless ways.

True story... one of my friends is and was one of the first "black box" traders. basically, a computer automatically starts trading for you every day.
His algorithm was pretty successful, but not crazy. I don't know exactly what he was making, but at one point, another friend was talking about having lunch with his CTO and bragging about how the guy made +$700k/yr and my trader friend just nonchalantly said, "oh? $700k/yr impresses you?"

In private, I was asking him what it was like to make that much. His response was, "a lot of people make way more than me, but most of them have to work really hard to do it. I'm happy making what I make and having 98% of my time to figure out how to spend it."

But I prefer effortless ways.

True story... one of my friends is and was one of the first "black box" traders. basically, a computer automatically starts trading for you every day.
His algorithm was pretty successful, but not crazy. I don't know exactly what he was making, but at one point, another friend was talking about having lunch with his CTO and bragging about how the guy made +$700k/yr and my trader friend just nonchalantly said, "oh? $700k/yr impresses you?"

In private, I was asking him what it was like to make that much. His response was, "a lot of people make way more than me, but most of them have to work really hard to do it. I'm happy making what I make and having 98% of my time to figure out how to spend it."

JCon, take it from me. When you finally decide to hang it up, the only thing you will want to know for certain is "did I really make a difference". No amount of money will make you feel as good as knowing that you did a good job and others were better off because of you. When you do that, you typically don't have to ever worry about finances if you're smart, and you are. I've probably said too much already!

Bob is invested heavily in Norman and the OKC area...many people dont know but Bob started a bank in OKC with others and they have capitalized at least once more to help it grow faster...hes also involved in several businesses in the area and outside the area...just saying...so his roots are here...

This maybe a stretch but maybe Bob knows the only way OU can win another Natty is if he is their shadow D coordinator. He can sit home chill not worry about any other work except film study while his kids are at school...he can devise a game plan without interruption....he is going to be a football consultant as it is...so why not use the opportunity to be able to steer Lincoln in his wisdom and be able to help Mike effectively come up with better game plans without sacrificing time away from his family with practice and travel....just a thought...it was just good timing for it all to fall into place...maybe a year or two sooner than expected but just a good time for all involved...

If Bob Stoops couldn't help Mike Stoops when he was the Head Coach, I seriously doubt that he he'll have any involvement going forward. Heck he didn't even like doing pressers, I doubt we'll ever see him talking Sooners going forward unless he has something sell, i.e. Book, Product etc that will require an interview process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT