ADVERTISEMENT

State of the Union

gthstonesman

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2005
My thoughts on the state of the program:

SPRING GAME[/B]

Having now had a chance to watch the scrimmage, my first takeaway is it is damn near impossible for a QB in a 4 way competition to get in any kind of rhythm in 1 of these events, particularly in the kind of offense we are running now. That said, I thought they all had their moments and I feel pretty damn good that we have 4 QBs of that caliber to compete for the starting job next year. CT did look good and his lone interception was SOLELY the result of a freakishly great play by Tay Evans (WOW). No scoring drives though. TK looked like he always has looked-very good at times and erratic and dangerous with the ball at other times. I knew he was going to throw that interception before he even threw it. 1 scoring drive as a result of his legs. BM certainly didn't look as good as last year but he also went into the game with the most pressure on him to WIN the job. He played exactly like that. Tried to force things and looked out of sorts at times. But he was very accurate for the most part and should have had 2 scoring drives (that fumble on the 1 ain't gonna happen with our usual RBs in the game). JH looked good but I couldn't tell if he was going against the weaker defenders for the most part. It is safe to say these guys are going to have A LOT more weapons at their disposal come next year. I am VERY excited to see the competition continue and see who is able to win the job.

Was REALLY impressed with Dede (God, he is fast), Jeffrey (HELLO), Daniel (THANK GOD we had someone like him to provide excitement given the absence of SP, JM and RA), William (Could he be the new guy at CB), Tay (My God, that was an athletic play) and Mark (Could be the piece that takes us to greatness) among others.

It is amazing how good the team looked given the absence of so many likely starters on offense and defense. It is pretty obvious these guys are being coached up much better than before. Just imagine how much better they will be by the time the 1st game gets here. The kids from our 2015 class will only make this roster stronger and I can't wait to see who can break through. DID I MENTION THE FACT THERE WERE NO INJURIES? All in all, I would say this Spring Game went about as good as we could have possibly hoped.

RECRUITING[/B]

I know everyone wanted to see a slew of commitments coming from the game but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Our coaches are working their asses off and we are going to do well at the end of the day. Given last year's result, you have to expect Baylor and TCU to get some kind of bump. I think that will wear off as the season goes along and soon it will be us and UT competing for the big guys. Kendall was a HUGE get and the rest will fall into place as time goes on. Man, it sure looks like our 2014 class is as good as advertised and I can't wait to see what the class of 2015 brings to the table. It is clear to me that the level of our talent is improving significantly.

STAFF[/B]

As stated, it is clear the kids are being coached up way better than in the recent past. I think it is possible we could have the best staff since 2004 and that combined with the improved recruiting should pay some BIG dividends in the near future. Love the way these guys are getting into it and waving the Sooner flag proudly. Mike in the booth is GREAT and Lincoln on the field is even better.

OVERALL[/B]

It is BEYOND impressive to me how we have weathered the storms of a very disappointing 2014 season, a horrible bowl appearance, the firing of several coaches and the horrible SAE incident. I think you have to give Bob, Joe and Boren A LOT of credit at the way they worked together to make it through all of that. I doubt that would have happened at another school. These guys have been together for a long time and I believe we are incredibly lucky to have them all. You also have to give A LOT of credit to the leadership on this team. They handled it exceptionally well and I think a lot of that comes back to the type of program Bob runs and the type of kids we go after. We are the winningest major cfb program in the country the past 15 years and I think we have a chance to get even better now that we have the right staff and are starting to get the great talent again.

In summation, the state of the union is STRONG![/B]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.