ADVERTISEMENT

spring practice....

The defense under Mike Stoops has had way to many personnel, team and NCAA records recorded against him. Until he leaves Norman, OU has no shot at a NC. None

I'm going back to the petition from last year

His defensive game plans are garbage, his coaching ability is garbage, his defensive scheme is garbage, his personnel decisions are garbage, his ability to motivate players is garbage. Sooner Nation is tired of your garbage. Take your garbage 3-4 defense back to Arizona. Share this everywhere! “

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/othe...-defensive-coordinator-mike-stoops/ar-AAjo3YL

How many NCAA Football teams have any of the petition signees Coached for with the exception of NCAA College Football for Playstation 2 and 3? Alrighty then.

Reactions: iasooner1
Your comment comes off as especially clueless considering Stoops was a team DC during the last NC we won...

I'm not defending poor coaching, but I am condemning whiny belligerent babies. The man coaches for a living, you don't. Don't assume you know his job better than he does.
You're talking about a national title that was won 16 years ago, and yes he shared duties with another DC that is running the defense that has played for the last 2 national titles, and just won the most recent one. So was OU's defense 16 years ago because of Mike Stoops, or in spite of Mike Stoops??

But a fan doesn't have assume they know Mike's job better than he does when Mike Stoops plays a 195lb DB at OLB during the Ohio State game, then in the post-game press conference complain that Ohio State played him like he was an OLB. Not to mention complaining that Ohio State was playing a style that he isn't use to defending "the way they play, isn't the way we play in the Big XII". Those things tell you all you need to know about Mike Stoops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntin Hard
When it comes to Mike Stoops, I'm a whiney, bitchy fan and I don't Coach. So what. He needs to be & should have been 'Huepeled'. He's only at OU because he's blood to the HC.

As fans, we have to deal with it. But we don't have to be quite about it.

When it comes to Mike Stoops, I'm a whiney, bitchy fan and I don't Coach. So what. He needs to be & should have been 'Huepeled'. He's only at OU because he's blood to the HC.

As fans, we have to deal with it. But we don't have to be quite about it.
Agree.
Most fans don't have coaching or playing histories.....all they do is follow closely their teams, pay for tickets and gear, and plan their lives around games. And to say they have no right or no legitimacy in having opinions about players and coaches is a very flawed and very unfair attitude.
Having watched this team since Wilkinson's days, I know enough to have a few good opinions.

At this time, could OU hired a better head coach than Bob Stoops? IMO, the answer is NO! Could Bob, with the same money as he is paying his brother, go locate, recruit, and hire a better defensive coordinator than Mike Stoops? IMO, HELL YES! Truly, the only fault I have with Bob is that he has allowed his personal relationships with some of his coaches to hurt his teams. Team first.

You don't have to coach to see CONFUSED players. Hummm

Give Mike great players, and he'll look like a hall of fame coach. It's the way it works. Put his healthy team up against a team with an SEC quarterback, and they'll look pretty good. Or even three, SEC quarterbacks. OU's defense looks dominant against that sort of challenge.

Charlie Strong was considered a great defensive coach when he coached elsewhere. When he came to the Big XII, his rep did a 180. But the geniuses on this site always blame the coaches.

They love the OC, but his team wasn't so great against UH or tOSU last season. Not many blamed him. It's a curiosity. Players fumbled the ball, it was their fault. Somebody misses a tackle, and it's the DC's fault.

If Joe Mixon had spent his 18th birthday somewhere else, and the NCAA had let a walkon play quarterback without sitting a year when he transferred in, Heupel would have had a great offense three years ago.

Coaches with great players look pretty good.

Last edited:
I guess all of the announcers, sports writers and fans are all idiots. Last year our players were Confused. They did not know how to play. Our coach better have this solved.

We have the players, NO EXCUSES. they get paid to COACH. I truly hope it is fixed. Mike would have been fired again anywhere else. I know it, so do most fans.

Here we go again.
A team's fate depends on the coaches' AND players' performances.
Coaches must find talent, recruit talent then develop and motivate talent.
From this, players must execute the skills that the coaches have taught them.
This shouldn't be hard for either our resident coaches and water boys.....or our "whiney" "geniuses"......on this message board to understand and accept.
Win as a team. Lose as a team. Praise and blame is shared by all.

Here we go again.
A team's fate depends on the coaches' AND players' performances.
Coaches must find talent, recruit talent then develop and motivate talent.
From this, players must execute the skills that the coaches have taught them.
This shouldn't be hard for either our resident coaches and water boys.....or our "whiney" "geniuses"......on this message board to understand and accept.
Win as a team. Lose as a team. Praise and blame is shared by all.

It's a whole lot easier for coaches to find talent, if the state where their university is located, produces more than it's fair share. Besides Phil Knight U, name a school without an instate hotbed that accomplishes what OU does.

You can't. There aren't any.

You morons griped about Brent Venables and his lack of common sense and how clueless he was, and he just wrapped up a NC.

So seriously, irascible fans have proven track record of being idiots. This is easy to see.
So now people on here are morons and idiots if they don't drink the coaching Kool-Aid like you do? Don't blame others on here that Mike sounded like a complete buffoon after the Ohio State loss.

They love the OC, but his team wasn't so great against UH or tOSU last season. Not many blamed him. It's a curiosity. Players fumbled the ball, it was their fault. Somebody misses a tackle, and it's the DC's fault.
Is this a serious post, or do you actually not remember the backlash that Riley got for those horrendous offensive showings?? Plaino, more and more your posts these days have the flavor of "selective memory" more than anything.

It's a whole lot easier for coaches to find talent, if the state where their university is located, produces more than it's fair share. Besides Phil Knight U, name a school without an instate hotbed that accomplishes what OU does.

You can't. There aren't any.
Okay.....now how does this relate to my post ?

Exactly. Falling back on the argument that the state of Oklahoma doesn't produce enough home grown talent is simply that....an excuse.

Speaking of selective memory .... We have won back to back conference titles. But you want to fire the defensive coordinator and make accusations of the HC who has more integrity than just about anybody in the whole damn profession, that his brother only has a job, because he's the brother.

You claim Bob has no integrity with such claims, and that's the opposite of the truth.

You're one of those entitled fools, who are in large proportion around here. And railing again, to the detriment of what you want to see. You denigrate the coaches, then complain when out of state recruits choose to play for somebody else.

Your claims are wrong, and counterproductive. Again.

Speaking of selective memory .... We have won back to back conference titles. But you want to fire the defensive coordinator and make accusations of the HC who has more integrity than just about anybody in the whole damn profession, that his brother only has a job, because he's the brother.

You claim Bob has no integrity with such claims, and that's the opposite of the truth.

You're one of those entitled fools, who are in large proportion around here. And railing again, to the detriment of what you want to see. You denigrate the coaches, then complain when out of state recruits choose to play for somebody else.

Your claims are wrong, and counterproductive. Again.
Call me an entitled fool all you want, but are you seriously going to sit there and claim that if Mike Stoops were at another blue blood program he would still have a job after some of the defensive meltdowns his defenses have suffered the past handful of years?? If you believe he would, then you are not only drinking the Stoops Kool-Aid, but you are now piss drunk from drinking it. Go watch Mike's post-game presser after the Ohio State loss and find a way to say he didn't sound like a complete fool with his comments. He rebounded and had a pretty decent year in the Big XII, but his comments after the Ohio State game were just mind boggling....

And once again...you're making your general claim that airing out concern over the coaching staff on this forum is directly affecting recruiting. Should I send a private message to Josh_M so he can come over here and debunk your myth for this forum like he has for the pay board?? Josh_M makes his living off covering recruiting...and he would say the same thing about your claim that you just said about my post...that you are wrong and counterproductive...AGAIN.

Recruits pay attention to what coaches and other players say about recruiting. Message board postings are irrelevant to recruits.
Two Texas high school coaches, one of whom is a nephew, have said this to me. They have added, in so many words, that college coaches would not want a player who puts so much importance on message board remarks in deciding where to attend college.
And calling another poster an "entitled fool", in this case, is profoundly hypocritical.

Give Mike great players, and he'll look like a hall of fame coach. It's the way it works. ....

Blah, Blah, Blah....

Coaches with great players look pretty good.

Most all of coaches look pretty good w/ great players. But college coaches find, hustle, sell them & recruit their own players. So if he doesn't have the skill set to get these great players, he needs to move to the NFL where GMs supply the players.

Mike Stoops: 1 National Championship Ring, 30 years coaching FBS defense, sent multiple players to the NFL
BillyRay: 0 National Championships, 0 years coaching FBS, but can throw a football over those mountains

All on the backs of his brother. If Charlie Strong was the DC of OU & had a brother named Bob that was the HC of OU, he'd be coaching at OU.

Reactions: BillyRay
Mike Stoops: 1 National Championship Ring, 30 years coaching FBS defense, sent multiple players to the NFL
BillyRay: 0 National Championships, 0 years coaching FBS, but can throw a football over those mountains
And just think...you have as many national titles as me. So your comments are on the same level. Just think about that one for a little while and let it sink in.

Your comment comes off as especially clueless considering Stoops was a team DC during the last NC we won...

I'm not defending poor coaching, but I am condemning whiny belligerent babies. The man coaches for a living, you don't. Don't assume you know his job better than he does.

You do realize that OU is in the All Time NCAA Record Books, for having the worst single game against the pass? Sorry but it doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. Mike Stoops is one of the worst DC in Div1 football. Venables has always fought an uphill battle. His style of defense, a great front 7. Bob and Mike are a great back 7. Bob came around and now Mike just needs to leave Norman. It starts up front, period.

He can teach all he wants the proper way to make a tackle but if our guys resort to 'going high' and not for the legs and whiff repeatedly on third downs, we get beat. We saw it on BV's neck and Mike had to be moved to the press box to avoid stroking out. Maybe this is the year our studs stay healthy enough all year that we don't see our D on the field all day

Reactions: CTOkie
I think they go high because they're allowed to go high. That's the freaking problem. They don't wrap up because they're allowed to tackle without wrapping up. That's the freaking problem. There is no penalty for poor technique other than getting screamed at on Game Day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT