ADVERTISEMENT

So we get FSU in Orlando?

Can’t imagine FSU happy about drawing the 6-6 Sooners. No credit for winning and disgrace for losing. It’ll be disgrace.

OU lost four games by a combined total of 16 points. Not saying OU is great, but that close to being a 10-2 team.
Agree, but the team now will be diminished by early exits and transfers. What will remain is anyone's guess.
The good news is that Venables gets 10 days (two weeks) of practice which includes looking at the younger and/or redshirted players....and some money.

Agree on a good opportunity for OU to change the narrative heading into 2023 as a lot of writers are high on FSU and their QB right now.

But is FSU really that good? After a 3 game losing skid they won out for their last 5 games, but faced junk or teams skidding into irrelevance:

3 of those 5 teams - Miami (5&7) GT and ULa - are absolute junk.

Syracuse started out hot, winning their first 6...and then lost the next 5 before winning against hapless BC to end the year. So put 'Cuse into the junk bin.

That leaves 1 game that looks like a solid win against a normal SEC powerhouse in UF...until you consider the 6&6 Gators lost to VANDY the week before.

FSU is a scrappy team whose hype is almost all attributable to beating LSU in the 2nd game of the season before Kelly righted that ship. If we have enough horses playing in this game we have a good chance of winning. Their #13 ranking wouldn't be there if FSU was in the Big XII or just about any conference other than the ACC.

FSU had a 3-game losing streak earlier in the season, losing close games to Wake Forest, NC State and Clemson (who were all ranked when they played FSU). FSU should have beaten NC State. NCSU's starting quarterback, Devin Leary, suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in the third quarter, but NC State's defense (one of the best in the country) shut out FSU in the second half, and some questionable coaching decisions by Norvell ended up costing FSU. NC State won 19-17.

Last edited:
Agree, but the team now will be diminished by early exits and transfers. What will remain is anyone's guess.
The good news is that Venables gets 10 days (two weeks) of practice which includes looking at the younger and/or redshirted players....and some money.
I heard a lot about Clemson players being so bought in that none of them missed their bowl game last year.

Last time OU faced Florida State in a bowl game, FSU was favored by 11.5 points.

Yes, for the National Championship. The whole country was watching. There weren't any "op-outs." Every player on both teams cared about the game.

As for this one, outside of the two fanbases and some degenerate gamblers, not many other people will be watching. Unfortunately, a lot of the players don't care about this one either.

Yes, for the National Championship. The whole country was watching. There weren't any "op-outs." Every player on both teams cared about the game.

As for this one, outside of the two fanbases and some degenerate gamblers, not many other people will be watching. Unfortunately, a lot of the players don't care about this one either.
And here we are today. 😉

I just hope OU doesn’t get blown out if indeed they play at full strength while we struggle to field enough quality players

And this may result in a loss for OU, giving that insightful drama queen, Skip Bayless, another call to fire Venables.
Given what Brent has left and FSU near mid-season strength, I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose by three TDs plus. If somehow OU keeps it close, I would consider it a big plus. But I know there will be many fans that will bitch about play selection, defensive miscues, etc. It’s the last time this season they have to do so. Just part of the normal Sooner Message Board activity.

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner2000
Given what Brent has left and FSU near mid-season strength, I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose by three TDs plus. If somehow OU keeps it close, I would consider it a big plus. But I know there will be many fans that will bitch about play selection, defensive miscues, etc. It’s the last time this season they have to do so. Just part of the normal Sooner Message Board activity.
Sooners by 20. 😉

I just hope OU doesn’t get blown out if indeed they play at full strength while we struggle to field enough quality players

Well, it's not ideal, but probably not as bad as the OU/Florida game in the Cotton Bowl two years ago.

I was doubtful after this game was announced and the opt-outs came. I took a closer look, and now have some level of confidence going in.

If the Sooners had played FSU's schedule, we might be 8-4. (I heard this discussion on OKC sports talk). Big 12 competition is tougher than the ACC. The Nole's defense is not great. We're loaded in our receiving game and have a pretty good QB. We lose a good RB and replace him with another good RB. Left tackle is a big ? for the Sooners. Other than that, we're fine.

I believe these guys are excited, they're coached-up and they are ready. They didn't become Sooners to just lay down and play dead.

Yes, OU is a 10-point dog, and I expect criticism if we bomb out in this game. But I give the Sooners a chance of pulling this one off - straight up.

Last edited:
If Lebby can lose the worthless bubble passes and jet sweeps..:and Roof can be locked in the closet, we might have a chance. Coaching has failed this team in 2022. Venables better not be too complacent with replacing the failed pieces going into 2023. It should be a clean slate.

If Lebby can lose the worthless bubble passes and jet sweeps..:and Roof can be locked in the closet, we might have a chance.
No matter how many times you post this (at least a dozen), Lebby will continue calling the same plays and Roof will still be apart of Venables’ staff next year in some capacity.

Last edited:
If the Sooners had played FSU's schedule, we might be 8-4.

This is not an exact science by any means, but if you take the Sagarin Power ratings and factor in home field, then OU would have finished 10-2 with Florida State's schedule.

Duquesne W
LSU (neutral site) L
@ Louisville W
Boston College W
Wake Forest W
NC State W
Clemson L
Georgia Tech W
@Miami W
@Syracuse W
Louisiana W
Florida W

Similarly, if you do the same thing with Sagarin's power ratings for Florida State with OU's schedule, FSU would have finished 9-3 with OU's schedule.

UTEP W
Kent State W
@Nebraska W
Kansas State L
@TCU L
Texas (neutral site) L
Kansas W
@Iowa State W
Baylor W
@West Virginia W
Oklahoma State W
@Texas Tech W

One caveat: these assumptions are made with the teams having their full rosters, which obviously isn't the case right now. That's why FSU is a big favorite in this game.

One more thing that can be gleaned from this analysis is that OU significantly underperformed compared to their expected game outcomes this year, while FSU slightly overperformed.

Last edited:
Roof may not be the ultimate defensive coordinator needed, but OU’s real problem is a lack of talent on defense. Inferior talent can’t be overcome by good coaching.
This is not necessarily a defense of Roof or a blame of the previous coaching staff. But it is what it is. Perkins, Asamoah, Winfrey and Bonitto from the 2021 team were sorely missed and not replaced…..and Caleb Williams’ absence impacted everything.

Roof may not be the ultimate defensive coordinator needed, but OU’s real problem is a lack of talent on defense. Inferior talent can’t be overcome by good coaching.
This is not necessarily a defense of Roof or a blame of the previous coaching staff. But it is what it is. Perkins, Asamoah, Winfrey and Bonitto from the 2021 team were sorely missed and not replaced…..and Caleb Williams’ absence impacted everything.
Were about to turn this around.

Never been a sunshine pumper, this team has way to many issues to think this one game will be any different from what we saw all season. That being said, Brent knows or found out what type of players we need on D to compete at a high level after he left OU and went to Clemson, they got it done with studs, it didn't happen overnight. He is also a part of the reason our D got torched the last few yrs he was here so I think many Sooner Fans have short memories in that regard. I also think he put together better defenses and could recruit better studs at Clemson on the D side of the ball. Maybe he can do it here too.

Gonna say F$U 35 OU 17.
Just nothing on this team player wise or staff wise that leads me to believe we can get it done with whats left.
Really doesn't matter, unless you are in the playoffs what difference does it make? Meaningless Bowl that will not give an inkling on what we might have next season. And some of you need to stop pinning hopes on Incoming Freshman turning this turd around next season.
My opinion, your approval not needed.
And Stoops coming back next year is only keeping a younger more talented player off the field so stop acting like its Cee Dee coming back.
😁
Will add I will be glad when all of TBOW's players are gone.

Never been a sunshine pumper, this team has way to many issues to think this one game will be any different from what we saw all season. That being said, Brent knows or found out what type of players we need on D to compete at a high level after he left OU and went to Clemson, they got it done with studs, it didn't happen overnight. He is also a part of the reason our D got torched the last few yrs he was here so I think many Sooner Fans have short memories in that regard. I also think he put together better defenses and could recruit better studs at Clemson on the D side of the ball. Maybe he can do it here too.

Gonna say F$U 35 OU 17.
Just nothing on this team player wise or staff wise that leads me to believe we can get it done with whats left.
Really doesn't matter, unless you are in the playoffs what difference does it make? Meaningless Bowl that will not give an inkling on what we might have next season. And some of you need to stop pinning hopes on Incoming Freshman turning this turd around next season.
And Stoops coming back next year is only keeping a younger more talented player off the field so stop acting like its Cee Dee coming back.
😁
One of your better posts, 67.

Never been a sunshine pumper, this team has way too many issues to think this one game will be any different from what we saw all season. That being said, Brent knows or found out what type of players we need on D to compete at a high level after he left OU and went to Clemson, they got it done with studs, it didn't happen overnight. He is also a part of the reason our D got torched the last few yrs he was here so I think many Sooner Fans have short memories in that regard. I also think he put together better defenses and could recruit better studs at Clemson on the D side of the ball. Maybe he can do it here too.

Gonna say F$U 35 OU 17.
😁
I think tonight will likely be like the TCU game. Hope l'm wrong. If we lose by less than 20, l'll be surprised. If we win, l'll be about as surprised as the Alabama bowl when TK had his night in the sun.

I don't view this as meaningless. Not having a losing season is a big deal to me.

I agree we have a long road to climb, especially if we lose OUr best quarterback and best receiver, even though neither had a steller season.

I think tonight will likely be like the TCU game. Hope l'm wrong. If we lose by less than 20, l'll be surprised. If we win, l'll be about as surprised as the Alabama bowl when TK had his night in the sun.

I don't view this as meaningless. Not having a losing season is a big deal to me.

I agree we have a long road to climb, especially if we lose OUr best quarterback and best receiver, even though neither had a steller season.

Yeah I really just meant meaningless for most people because its not a Playoff Bowl Game, outside of those and with all the opt outs the others just seem to have lost their luster. I too hope we win and have a winning season. I think I have watched every single Bowl Game except for one or two and have enjoyed most of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT