ADVERTISEMENT

So we get FSU in Orlando?

Yeah I really just meant meaningless for most people because its not a Playoff Bowl Game, outside of those and with all the opt outs the others just seem to have lost their luster. I too hope we win and have a winning season. I think I have watched every single Bowl Game except for one or two and have enjoyed most of them.
The first two OU bowls games I watched, we lost both and neither was close. JFK was at the OB on January 1, 1963. Joe Namath was a soph at Bama and Lee Roy Jordan set some record making 31 tackles in the days when we ran less than 60 plays, and CT beat us 17-0.

Two years later, we lost four players who signed pro contracts early, three of them our best players, and Florida State in their first game against the Sooners beat us handily 36-19. Rentzel, Grisham and Neely were missed. Fred Biletnikoff made a name for himself, and "signed his contract" alongside his quarterback Steve Tensi under the goal posts still in uniform. They'd also signed early, but their coach didn't turn them in. That was FSU's only victory over OU, ever. So far.

The first OU bowl win I ever saw was three years later, over UTenn in the Orange Bowl, in a nail biter, where we led 17-0 at half and then barely held on. A year later, we lost to SMU, 28-27 in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl, after losing OUr best offensive and best defensive player five minute apart in the first half. Chuck Hixson was brilliant for the Mustangs, alongside Jerry Levias. Mickey Ripley and Johnny Barr almost pulled it out for OU.

Then I was at the A-B in 1970 in when we tied Bama. Both team only lost one game a year later, both to Nebraska. We went to the Sugar Bowl back to back and beat Auburn and their Heisman winner like a drum, much bigger than the final score of 40-22. Then beat Penn State a year later, 14-0, my senior year.

I've seen every OU bowl game since 1963, mostly on TV. The tickets have gotten too price for me, but I've been to all but two of the CCG's we've played in. I hope I get to see un in another one, though I don't relish the trip to Atlanta.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
The first two OU bowls games I watched, we lost both and neither was close. JFK was at the OB on January 1, 1963. Joe Namath was a soph at Bama and Lee Roy Jordan set some record making 31 tackles in the days when we ran less than 60 plays, and CT beat us 17-0.

Two years later, we lost four players who signed pro contracts early, three of them our best players, and Florida State in their first game against the Sooners beat us handily 36-19. Rentzel, Grisham and Neely were missed. Fred Biletnikoff made a name for himself, and "signed his contract" alongside his quarterback Steve Tensi under the goal posts still in uniform. They'd also signed early, but their coach didn't turn them in. That was FSU's only victory over OU, ever. So far.

The first OU bowl win I ever saw was three years later, over UTenn in the Orange Bowl, in a nail biter, where we led 17-0 at half and then barely held on. A year later, we lost to SMU, 28-27 in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl, after losing OUr best offensive and best defensive player five minute apart in the first half. Chuck Hixson was brilliant for the Mustangs, alongside Jerry Levias. Mickey Ripley and Johnny Barr almost pulled it out for OU.

Then I was at the A-B in 1970 in when we tied Bama. Both team only lost one game a year later, both to Nebraska. We went to the Sugar Bowl back to back and beat Auburn and their Heisman winner like a drum, much bigger than the final score of 40-22. Then beat Penn State a year later, 14-0, my senior year.

I've seen every OU bowl game since 1963, mostly on TV. The tickets have gotten too price for me, but I've been to all but two of the CCG's we've played in. I hope I get to see un in another one, though I don't relish the trip to Atlanta.
I think you misunderstood my post, I have watched all of OU's Bowl games over the years but I was talking about the Bowl Games this year, have been watching them all but one or two and have had fun doing so. Hate it that football season is almost over so gonna watch all of it that I can.

So you think the circumstances are the same? OU was going to that bowl game undefeated and ranked #1. Apples and oranges.
I did not say or imply that.
Only thing on the line for OU is finishing with a winning record despite all the season’s tubulance.
For the record I don’t need a lesson on OU’s football history.

I think you misunderstood my post, I have watched all of OU's Bowl games over the years but I was talking about the Bowl Games this year, have been watching them all but one or two and have had fun doing so. Hate it that football season is almost over so gonna watch all of it that I can.
I did misunderstand. Sorry.

One of your better posts, 67.
Lol thanks! I almost didn't post it, didn't want to ruffle any feathers but I have opinions just like everyone else. Doesn't mean I am right, just an opinion.
That said, I would love to see another beatdown of Fl. St. I was at that game in 2010 in Norman the last time we played them there we won 47-17. Would love to see that type game from OU.

He's not horrible. He's just not great.

It looks like there might be a little right to left crosswind in that end of the stadium.

that coverage on that touchdown was garbage, simple smash route they learn how to cover that in middle school.
FSU seems to have made some adjustments, lets see if BV does the same.

that coverage on that touchdown was garbage, simple smash route they learn how to cover that in middle school.
FSU seems to have made some adjustments, lets see if BV does the same.
If it’s that simple to cover, why would a major college football team ever run it?

cause its a simple read, if corner drops throw to the flats, if he comes up, throw it deep. Corner should sink and make the qb throw it short then rally to the ball and make a tackle.

offense is going to have to score touchdowns, cause defense cant get off the field. Did anyone of the defense opt out or is this the same lineup thats been ut there all year.

Welp our Coaches crap the bed yet again. Absolutely a bust of a season. Three and seven after the cupcakes. Horrendous. Can not spin things as any real positives from this team. Not sure Venables is true head coach material. No real fire seen from this team.

Welp our Coaches crap the bed yet again. Absolutely a bust of a season. Three and seven after the cupcakes. Horrendous. Can not spin things as any real positives from this team. Not sure Venables is true head coach material. No real fire seen from this team.
“Coaches crap the bed again”. Please enlighten me.

C'mon man. I drink metamucil also.

I did not say or imply that.
Only thing on the line for OU is finishing with a winning record despite all the season’s tubulance.
For the record I don’t need a lesson on OU’s football history.
For the record I was not sighting your OU football history. I was pointing out you flawed logic. You may not need a history lesson but your logic could use a little help.

Reactions: Plainosooner
For the record I was not sighting your OU football history. I was pointing out you flawed logic. You may not need a history lesson but your logic could use a little help.
Flawed logic is not in play here. I only compared the point spread being the same against the same opponent in bowl games 22 years apart. Obviously much more was at stake in 2000 for both teams.
You have a lot of good insight here and I would prefer to get back to talking football with you again.

Reactions: Oklabama

Here's my perspective. Scoreboard is the goal, and the Sooners fell short this season. But what I saw last night vs. FSU was a fired-up Sooners football team -- considering they exist after the smoke cleared from TBOW tossing a grenade into the OU program. I feel this way, even with the opt-outs. I am encouraged by what I witnessed in Orlando. Losses suck, but I am proud of BV, the players and staff. I'm willing to give them the support they deserve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT