ADVERTISEMENT

Sickening Statistics...

These are stats that no OU fan wants to see.
These are stats that cannot be factored into any chances OU has to win a national championship.
It now appears that at least 4 of OU's last 5 games will be high scoring shootouts and we'll be reminded after each game that OU's defense only allowed only 27 yards rushing and a touchdown in the 4th quarter of a 51-45 victory.
Yawn.

These are stats that no OU fan wants to see.
These are stats that cannot be factored into any chances OU has to win a national championship.
It now appears that at least 4 of OU's last 5 games will be high scoring shootouts and we'll be reminded after each game that OU's defense only allowed only 27 yards rushing and a touchdown in the 4th quarter of a 51-45 victory.
Yawn.

NOooooooooooooo ! I can't take another week of that !

Notre Dame went 4-8 last year with a terrible defense. ND hired Elko from Wake Forest for this season. He has completely turned the ND defense around. Grinch did the same thing at Washington State. Riley needs to make a change and dump Mike Stoops & Ruffin McNeil. If he does not take action then he is damaging his own credibility with the OU donor and fan base. OU has the potential to win or lose every remaining game on their schedule based on the best from their offense or the worse from their defense. We have a Jekyll & Hyde persona in college football.

Notre Dame went 4-8 last year with a terrible defense. ND hired Elko from Wake Forest for this season. He has completely turned the ND defense around. Grinch did the same thing at Washington State. Riley needs to make a change and dump Mike Stoops & Ruffin McNeil.

I'm not yet keyed in on Ruffin. In my opinion, the defensive line has been performing pretty well by recent historical standards (crap). Lampkin, Ward, Bledsoe, et al are playing at a competitive level. Aside from that, he's the assistant head coach, not the assistant DC.

Stoops is DC and Kerry Cooks is the assistant DC. Those two names top my list. I've been reluctant to go after Kish due to lack of talent, but what I'm seeing now is very highly valued LB recruits playing pretty damn poorly and soft. I'm finding it hard to excuse so many high recruits playing as poorly as our LBs outside of Obo.

I'm not yet keyed in on Ruffin. In my opinion, the defensive line has been performing pretty well by recent historical standards (crap). Lampkin, Ward, Bledsoe, et al are playing at a competitive level. Aside from that, he's the assistant head coach, not the assistant DC.

Stoops is DC and Kerry Cooks is the assistant DC. Those two names top my list. I've been reluctant to go after Kish due to lack of talent, but what I'm seeing now is very highly valued LB recruits playing pretty damn poorly and soft. I'm finding it hard to excuse so many high recruits playing as poorly as our LBs outside of Obo.
I did not imply that McNeil is an assistant DC. My point with McNeil is that it seems Riley hired him because he was a mentor of some fashion and gave Lincoln an opportunity as OC at ECU. This does not make McNeil an Ass't HC. I fully agree on your under-performing 4* and 5* recruits. Case in point: Caleb Kelly is not flying around like he did last year. Our D needs new life. There are many highly touted DCs in CFB these days that would jump at a chance to be DC at Oklahoma. I hope Riley does not fall into the age old trap of falling back rather than jumping forward.

Pretty disturbing. Especially since I don't believe Iowa State (for example) has more talented, more athletic kids on defense. I think the opposite is probably true.

I think there's something to the idea that teams play harder against OK, but it's not enough to explain why we're ranked so low.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT