ADVERTISEMENT

Does Josh have these guys pegged at the right positions?

Phaeded

Sooner starter
Jun 5, 2001
Re., this article: https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/2023-report-card

We look paper thin at WR for next year - is Jacobe Johnson not going to be tried out at WR first vs DB?

Josh has McCarty at safety - I thought for sure he was being recruited at H-back, no? I get that we have the 120th ranked pass D (and would like that position coach gone, but I digress), but surely we have other recruits with better upside at DB than McCarty.

McCarty isn’t big enough for the HB position if history means anything. I think he may redshirt to fully recover from an injury he sustained a few months ago. He’s a wild card player who ultimately may play DB or WR or RB.
It won’t happen, but I think Kanak would be an excellent HB with his size and running ability. His HS film revealed him as a solid running back.
I don’t see too many incoming freshmen redshirting this fall as Venables overhauls the depth chart.
My concern at the RB position was eliminated with Sawchuk’s bowl performance as well as Barnes’. Plus there’s help coming and maybe Marcus Major returns.
This offseason will be one of OU’s most interesting and important offseason as Venables settles in.

Re., this article: https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/2023-report-card

We look paper thin at WR for next year - is Jacobe Johnson not going to be tried out at WR first vs DB?

Josh has McCarty at safety - I thought for sure he was being recruited at H-back, no? I get that we have the 120th ranked pass D (and would like that position coach gone, but I digress), but surely we have other recruits with better upside at DB than McCarty.
I have not heard much serious concern over WR depth for 2023. I think it is always a case where we are always looking for more or better but I would not say we are paper thin,

We have Stogner and Llewellyn at TE. Gibson, Farooq, Anderson, Bunkledy-Shelton, Stoops, Hester, Darby, Mims, West and Freeman all seeing playing time in 2022. I hear good things about Woolen and Dudley. Tall, lean and fast.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I have not heard much serious concern over WR depth for 2023. I think it is always a case where we are always looking for more or better but I would not say we are paper thin,

We have Stogner and Llewellyn at TE. Gibson, Farooq, Anderson, Bunkledy-Shelton, Stoops, Hester, Darby, Mims, West and Freeman all seeing playing time in 2022. I hear good things about Woolen and Dudley. Tall, lean and fast.
Do you know if there is a formal announcement from Sims coming -or- is it already known he is coming back?

Reactions: iasooner2000
Do you know if there is a formal announcement from Sims coming -or- is it already known he is coming back?
Are far as l know, nothing has been said. But from the wording of the coaches, answering questions about Mims' returning, they either didn't know, or he was exploring departure.

Same with DG.

ADVERTISEMENT