ADVERTISEMENT

SEC predictions

When I read Larry's stuff, it makes me wish the site had a THUMBS DOWN button.

The one observation I have about this upcoming season, is that OU fans have griped for years about all the preferences afforded the SEC teams. Then we join them, finally, I keep reading here about how hard it will be to beat Ole Miss. They're likely as good as they've been in a while, but dammit, we're OKLAHOMA. I think the SEC has more talent. The NFL draft has reflected that. But I also have thought for a long time, that the Big 12 is a league of a lot of quality coaches. And winning Big 12 games ain't any tougher than winning SEC games. ThKState and KU now, are quality guys.

The SEC teams that we've played at least four times, the only one we have a losing record against, is Texas. And OUr record against them since the end of WWII, 40-36 OUr record in this century against the Horns is 17-8. In 2018, they beat us in the RRR, but we beat them for the conference title.

Against the teams we've shared a conference with, A&M and Mizzou, our combined record is 86-36. Against the high and mighty Alabama, we've won one more of our games than they have, a 3-2-1 record. The others, 10-4 against Arkansas and 3-1 against UTenn.

We're going to be fine. Last year Texas was really good. But we still beat them in the regular season, and we beat everybody else when Stutsman played the whole game, until the bowl game when we were missing many key players and the Wildcats, in their best bowl game in a while had almost all their guys. OUr missing OLine guys was the difference in the game.

Injuries happen and everybody deals with them. But OU can play with anybody. The fact that most are underestimaing us, including half of our fan base, will only make the task more doable.
Brent knows a thing or two about the sec.

I’m not implying we are going to suck but I definitely don’t see us making the playoffs. If you can’t handle that then that’s your issue. We definitely have studs all over the field but I don’t see it fully coming together until the next year or two. I’ll never be a “we are OU and that’s all we need” type fan. Been burned too many times. From February to August everyone is made out to be good.

I’m not implying we are going to suck but I definitely don’t see us making the playoffs. If you can’t handle that then that’s your issue. We definitely have studs all over the field but I don’t see it fully coming together until the next year or two. I’ll never be a “we are OU and that’s all we need” type fan. Been burned too many times. From February to August everyone is made out to be good.

Good post, Larry. Been there, done that in my younger days. Have loved the Sooners since 1958.

You seem like a reasonable SEC fan unlike many but maybe your just waiting to say “ I told you so” if things fall apart for OU. We will see down the line as living in SEC country I see and am around many SEC “ Fanboys”.

The link below is your typical SEC homer with his 2-6 pick for OU in conference play. I guess he thinks OU is Vandy, Arkansas and all those other teams who suck most years.

I just like to speak facts, I think Oklahoma and Texas is more ready, it just that week to week grind and now the grind has gotten even tougher. I have Oklahoma going 9-3, with losses to Auburn(only because it’s in Jordan Hare), Ole Miss and LSU. Games with Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Bama are toss ups. And South Carolina is the trap game for sure. As far as Texas I have them going 8-4 based on how their schedule is set up, it’s wild. They got Oklahoma and Georgia back to back, then all of their rivals are on the road. If they lose to Arkansas, they can potentially lose out. Having to play Kentucky between 2 rivalries on the road is no joke.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
You never know, the thing is coach
I think OU will have a better presence in the SEC than Nebraska did in the Big10.
The proximity to Texas talent and the new-found ability to recruit in Dixie will keep OU in good standing. Plus it appears Venables is getting in-state talent much better now.
Nebraska is a program that will remain out of reach of its past glories forever.
yeah I feel Oklahoma is by far better prepared for the SEC than Nebraska when they made their transition. Coach BV been working hard the get the team right. He understands the nature of the league. He know what it takes to be successful.

So you're five years older than me. I was born in '51 in Seattle in an aberration. Dad was in Korea. Both he and mom were life long Tulsans, but for a summer birth, she went to live with her sister in Washington state. Much cooler than Tulsa in August when few had an air conditioner. We were back in Tulsa before I was 1, when dad returned from Asia. Guys his age, born in the late 20's, grew up poor during the depression, and weren't touchy feely men. He was pretty harsh, partly from what he'd experienced with orphans in Korea. He was changed. But the one thing we eventually had in common, was a love of sports. And listening to Sooner football on the radio was a special bond.

That's how I learned to love Sooner football. I'd watched a little pro football before that, but when I saw my first OU football tv appearance, it was a loss to Notre Dame in the 1961 season opener. But having my state on national tv, made me proud. I became a regular watcher of Sooner playbacks, and Bud's coaching show on tv.

When we beat USC in '63 when they were defending national champions, out there, I was hooked for life. When we moved to Plano in 1964, I used to find scractchy radio broadcasts out of Durant or Ardmore. In those days, you learned how to rearrange the dial just a bit for better reception, or move the radio a little bit. The great thing about having Dallas tv stations, was in the days when you might have one tv appearance a year, and two when you were really lucky, Dallas tv always had a station showing the OU-Texas game, that didn't count against the total. So I'm not a Sooner born, but definitely a Sooner bred. And when I die, I'll be a Sooner dead.

Last edited:
So you're five years older than me. I was born in '51 in Seattle in an aberration. Dad was in Korea. Both he and mom were life long Tulsans, but for a summer birth, she went to live with her sister in Washington state. We were back in Tulsa before I was 1, when dad returned from Asia.. Guys his age born in the late 20's, grew up poor during the depression, and weren't touchy feely men. He was pretty harsh, partly from what he experienced with orphans in Korea. He was changed. But the one thing we had in common, was love of sports. And listening to Sooner football on the radio was a special bond.

That's how I learned to love Sooner football. I'd watched a little pro football before that, but when I saw my first OU football tv appearance, it was a loss to Notre Dame in the 1961 season opener. But having my state on national tv, made me proud. I became a regular watch Sooner playbacks, and Bud's coaching show on tv.

When we beat USC in '63 when they were defending national champions, out there, I was hooked for life. When we moved to Plano is 1964, I used to find scractchy radio broadcasts out of Durant or Ardmore. In those days, you learned how to rearrange the dial just a bit for better reception, or move the radio a little bit. The great thing about having Dallas tv stations, was in the days when you might have one tv appearance a year, and two when you were really lucky, Dallas tv always had a station showing the OU-Texas game, that didn't count against the total. So I'm not a Sooner born, but definitely a Sooner bred. And when I die, I'll be a Sooner dead.

Well, even though I was born in Alabama it didn’t take long for me to become a Sooner fan. Alabama football was pretty bad in the mid to late ‘50’s. Of course, OU was the premier program when my dad bought us the Midwest City, OK to work at Tinker AFB and OU won 10 games my first year here. That made an everlasting impression. BOOMER!!

Well, even though I was born in Alabama it didn’t take long for me to become a Sooner fan. Alabama football was pretty bad in the mid to late ‘50’s. Of course, OU was the premier program when my dad bought us the Midwest City, OK to work at Tinker AFB and OU won 10 games my first year here. That made an everlasting impression. BOOMER!!
It is always interesting to learn about people and hearing stories like the ones about how they became OU fans is even more interesting.

I was born in Oklahoma and actually grew up just south of Stillwater. Many people ask me “ How are you not an OSU fan?” . That is an easy answer. My older brother was an OSU, Dallas Cowboy fan so naturally if he liked a team, I hated them. So I went with the winning program in OU.

I was 7 ( 1966 ) when I started following OU ( at. Least the best a 7 old could ) and when I seen Green Bay win that first SB I adopted them as my NFL team. Did I know the rules at that age? Nope but I loved the game and have been an OU fan ever since. As for the NFL, I dont waste my time watching them anymore and lost my love for that league years ago.

I admit the 90s was a tough time for our fanbase and that is a time period I hope we never have to live through again.

Last edited:
I might be one of the most unlikely fans of all. Moved to Texas from Mississippi in 1978. Most of my family came from Alabama. Didn't really have a team I was a fan of except the Miami Dolphins since I was in 1st grade. In Texas you were either an Aggie fan or a Whorn fan and I really didn't care for either and pretty much only followed the Fish until we moved to Arkiesaw in 1982. When I got into College Football was ptobably when I first started playing Football and ran track in HS. I got a subscription as a gift at Christmas to Sports Illustrated and became a fan of players more than a team, especially running backs as that was my position.

One month they had an article on Herschel Walker and I became a big fan of his and implemented his workout routine doing pushups, situps and pullups every other day as I was lifting weights and running it helped tone me up. Still did the pushups daily about 125 up until a few yrs ago.

Anyway being from Mississippi originally I got the issue with Marcus Dupree as he was from Mississippi like me so I became a huge fan of his and he went to OU so I got into the Sooners somewhat at that time. Also Keith Jackson was playing ball at Parkview in Little Rock the same time I was in NLR so I kept up with him as he was always in the newspaper on Saturday. When he went to play for OU I got into them more and sometime around 84 Barry's ex wife and their kids lived a few streets over from us and my brother dated Kathy back then.
He met Bosworth, Keith and another player that I cannot remember his name at her house, Barry would have them with him sometimes so that also got me hooked there as well. Been a fan ever since. Had season tickets for a few years and go to some games here and there. Funny thing is I never really got into College Football before then and was all NFL and the Dolphins, now its the other way around, I am all Sooners and CF and rarely watch an NFL game.

I might be one of the most unlikely fans of all. Moved to Texas from Mississippi in 1978. Most of my family came from Alabama. Didn't really have a team I was a fan of except the Miami Dolphins since I was in 1st grade. In Texas you were either an Aggie fan or a Whorn fan and I really didn't care for either and pretty much only followed the Fish until we moved to Arkiesaw in 1982. When I got into College Football was ptobably when I first started playing Football and ran track in HS. I got a subscription as a gift at Christmas to Sports Illustrated and became a fan of players more than a team, especially running backs as that was my position.

One month they had an article on Herschel Walker and I became a big fan of his and implemented his workout routine doing pushups, situps and pullups every other day as I was lifting weights and running it helped tone me up. Still did the pushups daily about 125 up until a few yrs ago.

Anyway being from Mississippi originally I got the issue with Marcus Dupree as he was from Mississippi like me so I became a huge fan of his and he went to OU so I got into the Sooners somewhat at that time. Also Keith Jackson was playing ball at Parkview in Little Rock the same time I was in NLR so I kept up with him as he was always in the newspaper on Saturday. When he went to play for OU I got into them more and sometime around 84 Barry's ex wife and their kids lived a few streets over from us and my brother dated Kathy back then.
He met Bosworth, Keith and another player that I cannot remember his name at her house, Barry would have them with him sometimes so that also got me hooked there as well. Been a fan ever since. Had season tickets for a few years and go to some games here and there. Funny thing is I never really got into College Football before then and was all NFL and the Dolphins, now its the other way around, I am all Sooners and CF and rarely watch an NFL game.
God dam, Marcus dupree!

A prediction from the down south folks
I could live with 9-3 but hope for at the very least 10-2 and a Playoff Berth.
I said it a few weeks ago, OU could have the same record as last year with a Bowl Win at 10-3 and be greatly improved and the record not reflect that but the Schedule would.
9 more days and it will be Football Time in Oklahoma. Soooooooo ready.

My prediction is about UTex.

Before all the annual hype began, it started out that Texas (and OU) don't know what they are getting into by joining the SEC.

JUNE: Then it became - Texas should be pretty good.

EARLY JULY: Then it was Texas may play in the SEC CCG.

LATE JULY: Then, they have a great chance to win the SEC.

EARLY AUGUST: Then, Texas will probably advance far the playoffs - to the championship game.

MID AUGUST: Now I'm reading Texas may win the National Championship.

What's after that? Texas and Sark will ascend to Heaven and sits at the right hand of God?

The above isn't my prediction. My prediction is this.

Same old Texas preseason BS hype and the resulting disappointment. It won't take long for the other SEC schools to catch on.

First season in a new conference, new starting qb with little college experience, and a new online………if we make 9-3 I will feel pretty good.

Reactions: Oklabama
I believe there’s a chance that with the manageable early schedule, this team can be ready to have a significant presence in its first year in the SEC.
Three straight top ten recruiting classes and a revamped coaching staff should have this year’s team ready for bigger things….contrary to what I’m reading and hearing from the national media.

I believe there’s a chance that with the manageable early schedule, this team can be ready to have a significant presence in its first year in the SEC.
Three straight top ten recruiting classes and a revamped coaching staff should have this year’s team ready for bigger things….contrary to what I’m reading and hearing from the national media.
I agree.
If the National Media talking heads were saying OU was gonna be great and possibly go undefeated and win it all this year then I would be worried. We'll be just fine, wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT