ADVERTISEMENT

SEC predictions

It seems the fear of those letters SEC scares a lot of people. Its a tough league but it also has its share of average teams. From top to bottom it has more average teams than the B12 but its not like the B12 was a cake walk every year.

I said it earlier I think CFN prediction of 9-3 is very doable if the D actually lives up to the hype this year and if it does we as fans may all be very surprised with the years result. I am more concerned with the OL more than anything and if they struggle coming together then it may very well be a 7-5 season. I dont think 9 wins is unreasonable expectations though.
The thing is with the SEC is that those lower tier teams has the same type of athletes as Bama and Georgia

• Haha
Reactions: OUSOONER67
What’s interesting a lot of people may not beware of is that since 2018, there’s only 3 SEC teams are sub .500 and that’s pretty impressive. That’s why you hear so much about the grind
3 words: Eight. conference. Games. Play 9 like we’ve had to instead of a Maine ( in OU’s upcoming case as an example) & that’s an extra 42 automatic losses (I’m starting with ‘18, I assume you’re including it in your stat, if not it’s 35 losses) that have to be sprinkled in amongst SEC teams, which (although I’m not going to waste time on the homework) I highly suspect would increase that 3 sub .500 SEC teams stat substantially.

3 words: Eight. conference. Games. Play 9 like we’ve had to instead of a Maine ( in OU’s upcoming case as an example) & that’s an extra 42 automatic losses (I’m starting with ‘18, I assume you’re including it in your stat, if not it’s 35 losses) that have to be sprinkled in amongst SEC teams, which (although I’m not going to waste time on the homework) I highly suspect would increase that 3 sub .500 SEC teams stat substantially.
I will just add this. For a conf that claims “ Its a grind week in and week out” then why are teams like Bama, UGA, and LSU only losing 1 game in conference and 0 losses at times on the season. If the “Grind” is real wouldnt one think the champion of that league should be losing 2 games at least in conference. The truth is that league isnt much different than other leagues. 2-3 heavyweights, 4-8 position team pretty good. 9-12 position teams struggle and usually the final 2 teams are just bad teams.

Overall UGA ( Recently) and Bama has ruled that conf with a sprinkle of LSU thrown in.

Since 2018

UGA. 45-4
Bama - 45-5

18- Bama
19- LSU
20 - Bama
21- Bama
22- UGA
23- Bama

Bama has ruled this league overall despite the “Grind”. Sorry but I dont buy the grind argument. If it was real one team wouldnt be so dominant.

Now if one was to say “ Its a more physical league than other conferences” that may have more legs to stand on.

I will just add this. For a conf that claims “ Its a grind week in and week out” then why are teams like Bama, UGA, and LSU only losing 1 game in conference and 0 losses at times on the season. If the “Grind” is real wouldnt one think the champion of that league should be losing 2 games at least in conference. The truth is that league isnt much different than other leagues. 2-3 heavyweights, 4-8 position team pretty good. 9-12 position teams struggle and usually the final 2 teams are just bad teams.

Overall UGA ( Recently) and Bama has ruled that conf with a sprinkle of LSU thrown in.
To piggyback off the bolded, remember when Cam & co. won the 2010 natty? In the 13 seasons since then, an SEC team has won it all 8 times. The only time that team was not Bama or UGA was the Burrow lightning strike in ‘19.

The defense is shaping up to be great if they can play to their talent. The talent is through the roof.

PJ and Ethan at the Ends
Da'Jon and Damonic Inside
Kip and Danny at Linebacker
Dasan, Kendel, Samuel at Cheetah

Then all of the experience in the backfield...
Gentry, Billy, Robert and Woodi

You have several All American candidates on that roster.

The biggest unknowns are the offensive line and coordinators.

The SEC is like any other Conference, 1 to 2 top tier teams and the rest looking for 6 wins and a bowl. Before Georgia emerged it was Bama every year and LSU once in a while. Since Georgia started landing top classes Bama slid somewhat and with Saban gone I expect it to continue. So who steps up and challenges Georgia? Who knows but I don't think its gonna be Miss St, Kentucky, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Vandy, Arkie, Florida, Auburn, Missouri or Aggie. LSU perhaps or OU and Texas are the strongest brands left. Which one or ones of those can? Guess we will see.

The SEC is like any other Conference, 1 to 2 top tier teams and the rest looking for 6 wins and a bowl. Before Georgia emerged it was Bama every year and LSU once in a while. Since Georgia started landing top classes Bama slid somewhat and with Saban gone I expect it to continue. So who steps up and challenges Georgia? Who knows but I don't think it’s gonna be Miss St, Kentucky, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Vandy, Arkie, Florida, Auburn, Missouri or Aggie. LSU perhaps or OU and Texas are the strongest brands left. Which one or ones of those can? Guess we will see.
OU is predicted to place 8th in SEC one spot behind Tennessee. A Sooner win over the Vols would be a great start. I’m thinking the 8th place prediction is more about the Sooner schedule than team strength. Texas is picked 2nd behind the Dawgs. That’s just more incentive for our guys come the RRR. BOOMER!

Last edited:
OU is predicted to place 8th in SEC one spot behind Tennessee. A Sooner win over the Vols would be a great start. I’m thinking the 8th place prediction is more about the Sooner schedule than team strength. Texas is picked 2nd behind the Dawgs. That’s just more incentive for our guys come the RRR. BOOMER!
I think you hit the nail on the head. Texas schedule along with UGA both seems to have the easiest path.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I think you hit the nail on the head. Texas schedule along with UGA both seems to have the easiest path.
Georgia an easy path? Most def last season but this season, no way thats an easy path.
👇👇👇👇👇

GTAVYNyXQAAX2Ha

I believe UGa goes to Austin and Tuscaloosa. They'll be challenged to win both, maybe either. The have a ton of talent, especially in the lines. But on the road will be a big deal.

Every bit as tough as OU's schedule but they are better equipped to handle it. I don't see UGA going undefeated during the regular season this yr with that schedule but they very well could, lots of talent on that squad.

You’ll see why there has been 8 games.
9 ha, remember in 2020 the conference played 10.

You’ll see why there has been 8 games.

9 ha, remember in 2020 the conference played 10.
I’m not questioning the ease or difficulty aspect. I’m simply saying that it’s an inescapable mathematical fact that had they played that 9th game there’d be a whole lot more losses to be spread around the conference, & re; ‘20, good catch, I forgot about that, & it actually did affect OU, as Tennessee was scheduled to come to Norman that year (OU was to originally return that game this year OOC).

Last edited:
It seems the fear of those letters SEC scares a lot of people. Its a tough league but it also has its share of average teams. From top to bottom it has more average teams than the B12 but its not like the B12 was a cake walk every year.

I said it earlier I think CFN prediction of 9-3 is very doable if the D actually lives up to the hype this year and if it does we as fans may all be very surprised with the years result. I am more concerned with the OL more than anything and if they struggle coming together then it may very well be a 7-5 season. I dont think 9 wins is unreasonable expectations though.
The Big 12 is definitely not a cake walk, I’ve always mentioned them as a tough conference. A big difference is the average teams in the SEC recruiting is ranked in the top 30, last season Arkansas and State both went 1-7 in conference play, but Arkansas came very close to beating LSU 34-31,Ole Miss 27-20 and Bama 24-21 but only scored 3 vs State. Also State beat Arizona not only beat them but they were actually leading 21-7 at one point of the game. They beat Arizona the same amount of points Washington did. The point that I’m trying to make is when you hear how much the SEC is a grind, they referring to the lower tier teams that’ll will get you. They’re not your normal (average) teams. I actually have Oklahoma going 9-3, with losses to Auburn, Ole Miss and LSU. Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Bama are toss ups. An interesting fact is that QB JA used to live in Georgia, he grew up watching SEC football. I honestly think the Arizona game was a really good experience lesson for him to take into the season

The Big 12 is definitely not a cake walk, I’ve always mentioned them as a tough conference. A big difference is the average teams in the SEC recruiting is ranked in the top 30, last season Arkansas and State both went 1-7 in conference play, but Arkansas came very close to beating LSU 34-31,Ole Miss 27-20 and Bama 24-21 but only scored 3 vs State. Also State beat Arizona not only beat them but they were actually leading 21-7 at one point of the game. They beat Arizona the same amount of points Washington did. The point that I’m trying to make is when you hear how much the SEC is a grind, they referring to the lower tier teams that’ll will get you. They’re not your normal (average) teams. I actually have Oklahoma going 9-3, with losses to Auburn, Ole Miss and LSU. Tennessee, Texas, Missouri, Bama are toss ups. An interesting fact is that QB JA used to live in Georgia, he grew up watching SEC football. I honestly think the Arizona game was a really good experience lesson for him to take into the season
You seem like a reasonable SEC fan unlike many but maybe your just waiting to say “ I told you so” if things fall apart for OU. We will see down the line as living in SEC country I see and am around many SEC “ Fanboys”.

The link below is your typical SEC homer with his 2-6 pick for OU in conference play. I guess he thinks OU is Vandy, Arkansas and all those other teams who suck most years.

I will go out on a limb again and say 10-2 and a Playoff Berth where who knows what can happen. Was talking via phone with G-man in Iowa today and we are both pretty much stumped on what will actually happen. To many unknowns with the new Co OC's, new DC, New O Line and an unproven QB, throw in a new tougher Conference and its anyones guess but I expect OU to go to the Playoffs every year and win Nattys, that hasn't changed even though a lot has the past 2 seasons.
I suppose I could live with 9-3 but thats just not my expectations and I hope its not the Programs Expectations. Time to roll that big Brand into a Conference full of Big Brands albeit not all of them, and see what happens.
August 30th cannot get here soon enough.

I will go out on a limb again and say 10-2 and a Playoff Berth where who knows what can happen. Was talking via phone with G-man in Iowa today and we are both pretty much stumped on what will actually happen. To many unknowns with the new Co OC's, new DC, New O Line and an unproven QB, throw in a new tougher Conference and its anyones guess but I expect OU to go to the Playoffs every year and win Nattys, that hasn't changed even though a lot has the past 2 seasons.
I suppose I could live with 9-3 but thats just not my expectations and I hope its not the Programs Expectations. Time to roll that big Brand into a Conference full of Big Brands albeit not all of them, and see what happens.
August 30th cannot get here soon enough.
Agree, as OU fans our expectations should always be high.

Guys guys guys let’s not go all soonertimes-ish on here. While we all HOPE to be in the playoffs at the end it’s probably not the reality. Texas? Bama? Lsu? Missouri? Ole miss? It’s going to be tough. I see 4 losses. I pray that I’m wrong though

Guys guys guys let’s not go all soonertimes-ish on here. While we all HOPE to be in the playoffs at the end it’s probably not the reality. Texas? Bama? Lsu? Missouri? Ole miss? It’s going to be tough. I see 4 losses. I pray that I’m wrong though

I’ve just been a lurker there at times and a few are over the top homers. I’d rather hear realistic views.

My homer prediction would be undefeated and a natty.
10-2 is not impossible. A break here and there, win a game we weren't supposed to and no major injuries to key starters and it could happen.
Last year we went 10-3 and very easily could have been 11-1 if some things didn't go south at key times so I expect improvement over last season and even at 10-2 the same record as last season there still could be improvement but the schedule is tougher so it may not show as much as it would if we were still in the Lil 12.

We owe some of those on the schedule some payback, Ole Miss 99 Independence Bowl, Bama and LSU for the Playoffs and LSU again for the Natty Loss in their backyard in Nawlins what was that 03?

Its gonna be a fun ride no matter what, finally some games I can get really excited about!
Plus all the pressure is on the whorns since they are the media darlins right now. OU can just fly under the radar.

ou-football-ou.gif

Latest updated projections. CFN downgrades OU from 9 wins to 7. Buying the koolaid I guess from others.

CBS SEC picks

247sports

Hopefully OU uses these “you cant compete” projections as motivation this season

Oklahoma Win Total​

Oklahoma Preview
BetMGM: 7.5
Caesars: 7.5
FanDuel: 7.5
CFN (Set Win Total At): 8
Consensus Win Total: 7.625
Oklahoma Will Win: 7

Last edited:
Reactions: OUSOONER67
It won’t really surprise me if we only have 8 regular season wins given our schedule. I think we’re a year away from competing at a high level in the SEC, but I hope I’m wrong. It all depends upon the offense, IMO.

It won’t really surprise me if we only have 8 regular season wins given our schedule. I think we’re a year away from competing at a high level in the SEC, but I hope I’m wrong. It all depends upon the offense, IMO.
I would be good with 8 wins for OU but if the D is as good as advertised I still believe 9-3 or 10-2 is achievable. If this team finishes 6-6 as most people think, I believe the seat gets very hot for BV. The SEC excuse that will be used by many doesnt fly in my books.

Last edited:
I would be good with 8 wins for OU but if the D is as good as advertised I still believe 9-3 or 10-2 is achievable. If this team finishes 6-6 as most people think, I think the seat gets very hot for BV. The SEC excuse that will be used by many doesnt fly in my books.

Thankfully, our out of conference schedule gives us a shot of winning more than 8, but the SEC schedule is a bitch.

When I read Larry's stuff, it makes me wish the site had a THUMBS DOWN button.

The one observation I have about this upcoming season, is that OU fans have griped for years about all the preferences afforded the SEC teams. Then we join them, finally, I keep reading here about how hard it will be to beat Ole Miss. They're likely as good as they've been in a while, but dammit, we're OKLAHOMA. I think the SEC has more talent. The NFL draft has reflected that. But I also have thought for a long time, that the Big 12 is a league of a lot of quality coaches. And winning Big 12 games ain't any tougher than winning SEC games. The coaches at KState and KU now, are quality guys.

The SEC teams that we've played at least four times, the only one we have a losing record against, is Texas. And OUr record against them since the end of WWII, 40-36 OUr record in this century against the Horns is 17-8. In 2018, they beat us in the RRR, but we beat them for the conference title.

Against the teams we've shared a conference with, A&M and Mizzou, our combined record is 86-36. Against the high and mighty Alabama, we've won one more of our games than they have, a 3-2-1 record. The others, 10-4 against Arkansas and 3-1 against UTenn.

We're going to be fine. Last year Texas was really good. But we still beat them in the regular season, and we beat everybody else when Stutsman played the whole game, until the bowl game when we were missing many key players and the Wildcats, in their best bowl game in a while had almost all their guys. OUr missing OLine guys was the difference in the game.

Injuries happen and everybody deals with them. But OU can play with anybody. The fact that most are underestimaing us, including half of our fan base, will only make the task more doable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT