ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD...OU VS IS...

Can the fools' gold narrative that Mikey-fixed-the-D die already? We haven't faced a notable QB yet but you still have to flip over to page 2 on NCAA's stats for passing D to find our boys at #77 (hasn't been updated for ISU yet, but I don't see the most recent performance pushing us up).

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/695/p2

Pass rush is spotty and uncovered WRs has got to fall on coaching. And the number of arm tackles vs ISU was off the charts; that and bouncing off ballcarriers like pin balls (looking at you #44). Can they practice wrapping up this week? Please.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
We can be relieved that OU is a 31-1/2 point favorite over Army this Saturday, but for many here it won't be enough.

The only time we got to the QB was in the blitzes. Motley played well most of the time the ball was thrown his way, but also gave up too many big catches to their 6' 7" WR. Tackling by the DBs was ATROCIOUS! LBs made a lot of tackles, which is a good thing. Hate seeing DBs making most of the tackles, which is often a bad thing. I'd give the D an overall grade of C+

The O-Line did a good job of protecting Murray, but needed more production in the run game. Give ISU credit for a pretty rugged run defense, even though OU rushed for 177. I'm not a fan of seeing Murray run so much, but without him OU does not convert several big first downs to keep drives alive. RBs were pretty good without Anderson, but the O-Line could not push around the Clones like they did against FAU and UCLA. The WRs were outstanding and were critical to OU's offensive success. Meier's catch was fantastic and the only dark cloud was Calcaterra's fumble. He holds on to the ball and OU keeps the drive going, possibly extending their lead and giving OU a comfortable cushion the rest of the game. I'd give the O and overall grade of B.

Special teams were outstanding. Would love to see Tre Brown get more touches on kickoffs and CD more chances on punts. Both can light it up if given the chance. Siebert was, Siebert. Cool as a cucumber and when he trots on the field, I feel confident that he's going to come up with the big points when needed. ST gets an A for their performance.

Last edited:

Tackling was awful for 75% of the game Saturday. I still don't understand how Motley is starting. I watched the Alabama game Saturday night and the cornerbacks consistently looked back for the ball and moved their hands to be able and knock the ball away. Motley doesn't seem to understand the very basics of pass coverage.

I'm also concerned about Mikey's scheme. Why can't we throw in slot blitzes, especially from the blind side?

Can the fools' gold narrative that Mikey-fixed-the-D die already? We haven't faced a notable QB yet but you still have to flip over to page 2 on NCAA's stats for passing D to find our boys at #77 (hasn't been updated for ISU yet, but I don't see the most recent performance pushing us up).

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/695/p2

Pass rush is spotty and uncovered WRs has got to fall on coaching. And the number of arm tackles vs ISU was off the charts; that and bouncing off ballcarriers like pin balls (looking at you #44). Can they practice wrapping up this week? Please.

Well if there is an upside to this its that Army might throw the ball 20 times. Through 2 games they have rushed 187 time with only 39 passes and only completed 18. If I was them though I would fling it all over the field in this game but its not the Army style.

"Its the tackling stupid!" Our coverage overall was pretty good. The tackling, both inside and outside was bad. I still think this D is better than last year and will continue to improve as we move through the schedule.

I agree, the scheme was sound. I haven't seen the replay but we missed so many tackles. The Dline was solid and as pointed out, ISU almost always had 7 guys blocking. Galimore and Mann took a double every play and made it easy for the LB, to get into the backfield and Of Course MISS, the tackle. Motley was in position 90% of the time, they just targeted him. With a 6'6 WR and he was on a island most of the time with bad safety help.

If I had to call out a defensive player, it would be Bolton. He missed at least 5 tackles in the backfield. The DB's have a bad knack of trying stupid shoulder tackles. Safety play was the only position I saw, that was not up to par. They were late, over the top. Got froze on play action, RPO and of course went after every WR, shoulder 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT