ADVERTISEMENT

Replay of 2008 OU/TTU game begs the question...

He had 2 TD's, they started to double and triple cover him in the red zone. That's why the run look so good but with Bradford everyone new he wasn't going to run

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
I put the entire blame for that loss on Wilson's arrogance. Florida had scouted Wilson's tendencies which basically showcased his stubbornness and belief that we could literally tell the D where we were running but still succeed. We had 2-3 R.Z opportunities to score and we ran off our left side behind every time and they stuffed us every time. I guarantee you that a Lincoln Riley coached O would not have been so arrogant.

I put the entire blame for that loss on Wilson's arrogance. Florida had scouted Wilson's tendencies which basically showcased his stubbornness and belief that we could literally tell the D where we were running but still succeed. We had 2-3 R.Z opportunities to score and we ran off our left side behind every time and they stuffed us every time. I guarantee you that a Lincoln Riley coached O would not have been so arrogant.
Agree. The two first half meltdowns in the red zone cost OU this game. The play calling was poor and tentative.

While I will agree about the play calling and w/o sounding too much like Huepel & M.Stoops, the execution by the LG was pathetic on one of those plays. It was really, really, a lame attempt at blocking. Go back and watch it. After witnessing that display of effort by my LG, I clearly would not have called the same play again.

Last edited:
If an offensive lineman (or the OL as a whole) is not doing a good job, then why run 4 straight plays inside the Florida 10 yard line by Chris Brown ?
Losing to Florida that night was like drowning in a foot of water.
More so than losing to LSU? I contend that was closer to drowning in my own spit.

Jason White was damaged goods in the LSU game, plus the game was a home game for LSU.
True, but with the team we had, damaged Jason or not, that is definitely one we should have brought home as a "W", particularly when we look at the play calling of the last series.

Reactions: Patriotgame
Agree. The two first half meltdowns in the red zone cost OU this game. The play calling was poor and tentative.

The players didn't execute very well. We missed a great running back. Florida was allowed to illegally commit personal fouls against OUr receivers. The officials, especially the replay official did all they could to keep OUr pace from tiring out the Florida D. OUr defense missing OUr first and second team middle linebacker couldn't stop the Gators from controling the ball, and I was pretty certain that the drive that resulted in a third down pick in the end zone, that the first down play was a touchdown run by Chris Brown. Somehow the replay guy, who reviewed a half dozen plays needlessly to give rest to the Gator defense, couldn't find the time to replay that touchdown, not called a TD on the field.

Missing Demarco Murray, and OUr best two MLB's was just enough to give the Gators the edge. And the insistent Gator star, Percy Harvin, with chronic headache problems, was well and had an all timer of a night.

But people here, will always blame any loss on OUr coaches, especially if their last name is Stoops. But couldn't blame that one on Mike.

Sounds like a whole lot of excuses but OU just didn't make the plays they needed to in the red zone. My memory is foggy but didn't we get 3 points from being inside the 10 yard line TWICE? Hard to beat a team like Florida doing that. It wasn't the officials or injured players or any other excuse being mentioned, we just didn't play very well in the 2nd half.

The players didn't execute very well. We missed a great running back. Florida was allowed to illegally commit personal fouls against OUr receivers. The officials, especially the replay official did all they could to keep OUr pace from tiring out the Florida D. OUr defense missing OUr first and second team middle linebacker couldn't stop the Gators from controling the ball, and I was pretty certain that the drive that resulted in a third down pick in the end zone, that the first down play was a touchdown run by Chris Brown. Somehow the replay guy, who reviewed a half dozen plays needlessly to give rest to the Gator defense, couldn't find the time to replay that touchdown, not called a TD on the field.

Missing Demarco Murray, and OUr best two MLB's was just enough to give the Gators the edge. And the insistent Gator star, Percy Harvin, with chronic headache problems, was well and had an all timer of a night.

But people here, will always blame any loss on OUr coaches, especially if their last name is Stoops. But couldn't blame that one on Mike.
The play calling killed OU in the first half, especially in view of Murray being unavailable and with Gresham not being used on the two first half redzone drives.. That, more than injuries or your usually conspiracy theory, doomed OU.

Reactions: Patriotgame
Sounds like a whole lot of excuses but OU just didn't make the plays they needed to in the red zone. My memory is foggy but didn't we get 3 points from being inside the 10 yard line TWICE? Hard to beat a team like Florida doing that. It wasn't the officials or injured players or any other excuse being mentioned, we just didn't play very well in the 2nd half.
THIS!!!
So what I'm reading is nothing but excuses. If you believe this crap then there are 7 National Titles that OU claim but in reality there were 7 games that the other teams felled to execute, made bad play calls, & the refs were in OU's favor. Get a grip folks. OU lost because they FAILED to win!

Reactions: iasooner1
THIS!!!
So what I'm reading is nothing but excuses. If you believe this crap then there are 7 National Titles that OU claim but in reality there were 7 games that the other teams felled to execute, made bad play calls, & the refs were in OU's favor. Get a grip folks. OU lost because they FAILED to win!
Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. Thread closed.

You always love to go here.

But hey....using your own rationale, your claiming that Ruffin McNeill has had a horrible coaching career accomplishing nothing was more likely due to players not executing and refs doing everything they can to stop him.

You always love to go here.

But hey....using your own rationale, your claiming that Ruffin McNeill has had a horrible coaching career accomplishing nothing was more likely due to players not executing and refs doing everything they can to stop him.
There is a huge difference between individual game performance and career performance. A guy who never coached in a single P5 CCG, who has been in college coaching for 35 years is not necessarily horrible. But he's not close to being good enough to being the number 2 guy in OUr football program.

But you and the Stoops haters, find nothing wrong with the resume'. Hard to explain. The guys you whine about the most have coached in NC games, and won one. And half the CCGs in the last two decades. Quite a contrast. Mike even did it in Manhattan.

Plaino I've failed to see someone say they hated Stoops or perhaps I just haven't read all the comments. Can you please give examples? Get frustrated with calls or game plans I can see, but if someone doesn't like or hates Stoops? That would be dumb.

There is a huge difference between individual game performance and career performance. A guy who never coached in a single P5 CCG, who has been in college coaching for 35 years is not necessarily horrible. But he's not close to being good enough to being the number 2 guy in OUr football program.

But you and the Stoops haters, find nothing wrong with the resume'. Hard to explain. The guys you whine about the most have coached in NC games, and won one. And half the CCGs in the last two decades. Quite a contrast. Mike even did it in Manhattan.
The people you are calling "Stoops haters" are simply fans who don't drink the kool-aid and make excuses for coaches when there are clearly things to critique. People like me didn't insulate the coaches and make excuses for them and try to blame things on evil refs and such.

You on the other hand, are hating on a new addition to the staff before he has even coached in a game yet. Ultimately that means you are hating on Riley himself for making such a hire. How do you think your conduct will affect OU recruiting by the way??

So there is contrast alright...and it's all on you.

Plaino, the Bob Stoops era had to end some time or another. It was never going to last into eternity. Take a step back and take a deep breathe. OU football will move forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntin Hard
Ultimately that means you are hating on Riley himself for making such a hire. How do you think your conduct will affect OU recruiting by the way??
We are effed. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a tweet referenced on Facebook that said that the parent of a kid who lived in the same town of at least one recruit said they saw a post on a message board that said that Muffin McDrill was not a coach that's good enough to be the number 2 guy at OU and that it was retweeted by every high school football player south of Canada and north of Mexico and so nobody is ever playing football at OU again.

Josh M will deny this because he can't say it's true or he'll lose all of his subscribers. But we all know it's true because we've been told by somebody in the know.

We are effed. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a tweet referenced on Facebook that said that the parent of a kid who lived in the same town of at least one recruit said they saw a post on a message board that said that Muffin McDrill was not a coach that's good enough to be the number 2 guy at OU and that it was retweeted by every high school football player south of Canada and north of Mexico and so nobody is ever playing football at OU again.

Josh M will deny this because he can't say it's true or he'll lose all of his subscribers. But we all know it's true because we've been told by somebody in the know.
This is one of the best posts I've read in a while. Very well played Medic. Lol :D:D

Quite a few ? And quite a few head scratchers during Bob's tenure. May be a blessing that Riley was not around long enough to have learned any bad habits from him. A real head scratcher for me is why Bob fixed the offensive woes, possibly forced, but was content with the defense being so god awful? Usually a HC that was a DC will have a better defense than an offense and vice versa. Would the offense have gotten any better if Mayfield had not transferred or if Mixon had been kicked off the team after the "incident?" Lots of questions for me over the years but then again thats above my pay grade.

The S on Plaino's hat represents Stoops, not Sooners.

He was wrong about the Huepel firing & the Riley hiring. He'll be wrong about the Riley promotion, and the McNeil hiring. It'll happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT