ADVERTISEMENT

Replay of 2008 OU/TTU game begs the question...

Plaino I've failed to see someone say they hated Stoops or perhaps I just haven't read all the comments. Can you please give examples? Get frustrated with calls or game plans I can see, but if someone doesn't like or hates Stoops? That would be dumb.

Mike Stoops would have been tarred and feathered had some around here had their way. And I've read several frequent posters, post as fact, the lie that Bob started phoning it in several years ago. Or that he quit trying to recruit as seriously as before. Or that he protects his incompetent brother. That is nonsense, and a question to his integrity. But it is posted here frequently, like there is no question of its authenticity.

That is hating at the highest level, IMO.

I personally believe at most elite programs Mike would have been fired already. I'm not stating Bob was protecting him but it was definitely a great decision to fire heupel and most figured both were gone. I love the direction our program is headed though with Riley. No coach is/was above criticism even Bob Stoops.

That's not true. Around here, you can't say anything bad about Riley or especially his new hire as Assistant Head Coach. 35 years of medicrity. His resume' isn't close to Mike's. Not close.

Mike Stoops would have been tarred and feathered had some around here had their way. And I've read several frequent posters, post as fact, the lie that Bob started phoning it in several years ago. Or that he quit trying to recruit as seriously as before. Or that he protects his incompetent brother. That is nonsense, and a question to his integrity. But it is posted here frequently, like there is no question of its authenticity.

One fact you can't deny, is Bob Stoops did in fact let the program slide and his staff get lazy for some years. And it showed. And it culminated in Bob firing/replacing nearly his entire staff with new coaches. Plaino, never lose sight of the fact that just prior to Bob's massive staff purge, you claimed they were the "best staff in the country".
And I have always given Bob a ton of credit and respect for opening his eyes to see his program had dropped a notch, and was willing to make the tough decisions to get the program going again.

That's not true. Around here, you can't say anything bad about Riley or especially his new hire as Assistant Head Coach. 35 years of medicrity. His resume' isn't close to Mike's. Not close.
But then you will be the first to show up to defend Kish. The difference here is your "boy" Bob Stoops hired him. Bob didn't hire McNeil. That's the difference.

If someone claimed that was the best staff in the country years ago they either didn't know what they were talking about or that person would have been considered a big time homer.

But then you will be the first to show up to defend Kish. The difference here is your "boy" Bob Stoops hired him. Bob didn't hire McNeil. That's the difference.

No. The difference is that the guy you decide can't coach, somehow has back to back conference title rings and a trip to the Final Four, plus a win over Auburn where his linebackers kicked butt when healthy.

Just because there are so many no nothings on this site that don't like Kish, doesn't mean that their evaluation has any merit. I know that OUr offense sucked in the two most important games of the year last season, and not many complained about the guy who is now the new HC.

I know for damn sure that Bob is trustworthy, and I trust him. And I know that he has an NC, and half the Big XII titles in 18 years he coached. And so he's not just a good guy. He can coach, and proved it. I know that he was the choice of his peers to be the one guy they'd let coach their son if he went elsewhere, above any other coach in college football. But you think you know stuff that he doesn't. Which makes you a really foolish guy.

Lincoln has great potential as an HC. He may turn out to be OUr fourth great head coach. But as DKR said often, potential means he ain't done it yet. Bob has over and over and over.

Reactions: Oklabama
No. The difference is that the guy you decide can't coach, somehow has back to back conference title rings and a trip to the Final Four, plus a win over Auburn where his linebackers kicked butt when healthy.
That's the thing....was OU able to win those conference titles because of Kish? Or despite of Kish? Fact is, Kish's role in coaching got diminished since he landed at OU. At first he was hired to coach LB's. I guess that load was too much. Cuz now he only coaches ILB's, with Mike jumping in to help and taking over the OLB's position.

Auburn was a nice win, but let's not lose sight of the fact they were a 5 loss team last year and effectively lost their QB on the opening drive of the game against OU. After that, Auburn was completely one-dimensional. Next to zero threat to throw the ball downfield. Made for a much easier job for the defense to really look good didn't it?

Just because there are so many no nothings on this site that don't like Kish, doesn't mean that their evaluation has any merit. I know that OUr offense sucked in the two most important games of the year last season, and not many complained about the guy who is now the new HC.
I dunno Plaino...maybe you called into Scoop sick on those days. Cuz the games where the offense looked like garbage there was plenty of fire being thrown at Riley. It's a head scratcher how you aren't able to recall that.

I know for damn sure that Bob is trustworthy, and I trust him. And I know that he has an NC, and half the Big XII titles in 18 years he coached. And so he's not just a good guy. He can coach, and proved it. I know that he was the choice of his peers to be the one guy they'd let coach their son if he went elsewhere, above any other coach in college football. But you think you know stuff that he doesn't. Which makes you a really foolish guy.
So I'm a foolish guy huh? I"m part of the crowd that called out the former staff (that all got canned) for their failures, while all the time you called us foolish and OU had the best staff in the country. Pretty easy looking back now which side was right...and which side was wrong. But you go right ahead and keep assuming everyone else who disagrees with you are the foolish ones. Pete Hughes bring back any memories?? LOL

But Bob also proved he let his staff get lazy for some years. He made some pretty awful hires to his staff. I'm assuming he used the "buddy system" so his bros could get some fat checks and ride the OU gravy train right? I mean good lord how else would you explain a hire like SKITTLES!!! That may be one of the worst coaching hires in college football history. That is literally a worse hire than OU hiring John Blake. At least John Blake was a football coach. So ya Plaino...Bob proved many things...on many levels.

And that's great other coaches would pick Bob over all others to coach their sons. Means Bob is a pretty nice guy. And I agree. On the flipside, I'm sure Nick Saban got zero votes for the same thing right? Prolly has to do with coaches wanting their sons to play football for a person that is easy to play for and get along with. Less demanding that say a coach like Saban right? Saban is well known for the level of demands he places on his coaches and players. But that's the difference in a coach who is a nice guy, and a coach who makes a habit out of winning national titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntin Hard

"Hating at the highest level" ?...........Really ?
Is this part of the "Fight the good fight, the noble fight" you've preached ?

If y'all are gonna keep on with the stubborn and childish routine, can we at least get some good poop and fart jokes thrown in from time to time?

I thought I was bad.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Seriously Plaino? I always enjoy your insight but...

So a recruit reading this board will see your negative comments about the current coaching staff as a positive and thus won't negatively impact recruiting but other's negative comments about the previous coaching staff negatively impacted recruiting? Practice what you preach or recant the past several years of nonsense. Otherwise you just look like a butthurt hypocrite.

Seriously Plaino? I always enjoy your insight but...

So a recruit reading this board will see your negative comments about the current coaching staff as a positive and thus won't negatively impact recruiting but other's negative comments about the previous coaching staff negatively impacted recruiting? Practice what you preach or recant the past several years of nonsense. Otherwise you just look like a butthurt hypocrite.

I think it's different. We have people around here who dissed coaches time after time after time, who have a great record in terms of team performance. Yet you come here and read about what buffoons they are. It's untrue, but recruits do hear that nonsense.

But a guy who's never accomplished anything, is brought in to be number two man on the staff. It's pretty well known his deficiencies. The extolling of him isn't really about him. It's just a further dissing of the present defensive staff, especially two guys, who get blamed for everything, unfairly. I'm called a hypocrite for doing that. But why aren't those making the unfair accusations, called hypocrites for their duplicity? It's the point that needs to be made, IMO. So I make it.

I'm definitely in the Mike Stoops needs to go club. Two things I've noticed the last few years. OU doesn't know what to do with a good or great DT.

1. We don't know how to recruit or get one. And we never form our defense around, a good strong interior Dline. Mike and Bob are a back 7, not front 7 .
2. Every good team that has slowed OU down offensively , has a good to great DT.

Houston, tOSU, Clemson all have great DT. Hell Houston had a kid, just 4 month removed from HS.

Mike Stoops should not have been allowed back in Norman after TT set the NCAA ALL Time record against OU. OU sets records, but not that way

Reactions: iasooner1
So posters talk badly about coaches in terrible performances and it's not okay. But you talk badly about a guy who hasn't even started his first year and it is okay. I think you realize you are contradicting yourself and you are looking for reasons of why you did such a thing. Why not just man up and admit things? Everyone seems pretty forgiving

But a guy who's never accomplished anything, is brought in to be number two man on the staff. It's pretty well known his deficiencies. The extolling of him isn't really about him. It's just a further dissing of the present defensive staff, especially two guys, who get blamed for everything, unfairly. I'm called a hypocrite for doing that. But why aren't those making the unfair accusations, called hypocrites for their duplicity? It's the point that needs to be made, IMO. So I make it.
I'm going to make a prediction today. You're going to blame every bad play and any losses this season on the coaching staff with the exception of those who have been long timers under Stoops.

Save this post. I'm going to look like a psychic genius in January 2018.

I think it's different. We have people around here who dissed coaches time after time after time, who have a great record in terms of team performance. Yet you come here and read about what buffoons they are. It's untrue, but recruits do hear that nonsense.

Recruits pay attention to what the coaches and players on the teams recruiting them say. On campus visits carry infinitely more weight in a recruit's decision making that a bunch of old white guys do sitting at a computer keyboard.
Coaches and players are not infallible and therefore can face criticism from fans and the media. It's part of any coach's job.
"It's pretty well known" of Coach McNeill's "deficiencies".....really ?......by whom ?
"The extolling" of McNeill's hiring is "a further dissing of the present coaching staff, especially two guys" ? I haven't read any praise of McNeill's hiring based on this.
Tell you what: contact Riley on this. No doubt he will benefit from you teaching him everything you know.

That would be me. I don't know Mike Stoops to hate him. But I totally dislike the product he has put on the field since his return. I'll admit it. Thousands of fans will admit it.
1. Recruiting dropped off big time. Fact.
2. He has protected his brother. He was moved to the booth to protect him. Fact.

He snapped back into reality when he fired Heupel, Norvel and a couple of others. He should have, and had every reason to fire his brother, but couldn't due to is bloodline. Fact. The program started and stopped with Bob Stoops. When the 8-5 season came around, that was all on him. When he finally made changes and hired Riley, that was all on him as well.

Having said this, Mike Stoops has the best athletes he's ever had since his return going into this year. His defense should show a drastic improvement. The key word is 'should'.

Last edited:

Plano, your 'insights' have sucked for years. You've been blatantly wrong twice as much as you've ever been right. Your analysis of games are of pee-wee football coaching disguised multiple paragraphs of nothing. For a number of year's you've been the Emperor of this board as in the Emperor has No Clothes. You've been exposed and now you are major butt hurt over it, as a result, you've allowed yourself to become extremely hypocritical. But there is good news for you... Mike is primed to have a good year. He has some good players coming of age and w/o brother Bob around, he'll have to step up and I think he does. His future depends on it. I see him at either Kentucky next year or maybe even Missouri working for Huepel.

Last edited:

Plaino I witnessed the massive backlash you endured over on the pay board on this. Even your few defenders over there turned on you over this. Read Medics post again. He is right on the money. I know you are trying to say it's different but it's not. The entire pay board and now this board can see it's not.

Last edited:
This has turned into one of the best offseason threads ever. Things are looking up for a really good and lively message board come September......and we owe it all to Bob Stoops' retirement. Otherwise, no Ruffin McNeill. LOL. Bob went out quietly, yet brought us fans another win, IMO. Kudos, Coach Stoops. I cannot wait til fall ball, but please continue posting until then. This is frickin' good stuff by one and all.

Last edited:

Plaino, I think you are off base and wearing blinders with respect to Bob Stoops.......meaning you always, always suck up to whatever decisions Bob made....regardless....save the rekick during the OSU game......well I don't recall you criticizing him for that but I will give credit anyway....BUT I do like you're relentless. You are one hardheaded son of a gun. You don't back off, which makes for great message board entertainment. I will give you credit that it may turn out you could be right about some of your statements.....I don't think so, but I admit I could be wrong......but when you deny that Bob did not protect Mike, you lose all credibility. Come on, man!

Last edited:
Plaino, I think you are off base and wearing blinders with respect to Bob Stoops.......meaning you always, always suck up to whatever decisions Bob made....regardless....save the rekick during the OSU game......well I don't recall you criticizing him for that but I will give credit anyway....BUT I do like you're relentless. You are one hardheaded son of a gun. You don't back off, which makes for great message board entertainment. I will give you credit that it may turn out you could be right about some of your statements.....I don't think so, but I admit I could be wrong......but when you deny that Bob did not protect Mike, you lose all credibility. Come on, man!
I understood why he re-kicked. It didn't work out. He was universally criticized, and he fell on his sword after. But his secondary guys had so many injuries that he couldn't put three healthy corners out there at the end of the game, and they'd given up a sieve touchdown to OSU on the previous possession and he wanted to avoid that if possible. So the re-punt was an effort to kick it inside the ten and use some more time. It wasn't that bad an idea, but OUr first cover guy screwed up the play, and made the decision look horrible. The first coverage guy just assumed that the ball would be fair caught, so he ran past the most dangerous punt return guy in the conference, maybe the country, to down it, if he didn't catch the punt. But he didn't see the fair catch signal he expected. It cost us the game.

Bob's reasoning wasn't horrible, but in retrospect, he took the hit. But that's why I didn't criticize the decision Like so many around here, it was just another second guess when the play didn't work out. But mostly it was a stupid play by the punt coverage and horrible execution.

But I have criticized several of Bob's decisions in the past. I think the primary one was when Baylor beat us for the first time in Waco RGIII's senior year, involving a penalty in the last three minutes. And I said so at the time he made it, not two days later after it didn't work.

Anybody can second guess. It happens a lot here.

Reactions: iasooner1
I understood why he re-kicked. It didn't work out. He was universally criticized, and he fell on his sword after. But his secondary guys had so many injuries that he couldn't put three healthy corners out there at the end of the game, and they'd given up a sieve touchdown to OSU on the previous possession and he wanted to avoid that if possible. So the re-punt was an effort to kick it inside the ten and use some more time. It wasn't that bad an idea, but OUr first cover guy screwed up the play, and made the decision look horrible. The first coverage guy just assumed that the ball would be fair caught, so he ran past the most dangerous punt return guy in the conference, maybe the country, to down it, if he didn't catch the punt. But he didn't see the fair catch signal he expected. It cost us the game.

Bob's reasoning wasn't horrible, but in retrospect, he took the hit. But that's why I didn't criticize the decision Like so many around here, it was just another second guess when the play didn't work out. But mostly it was a stupid play by the punt coverage and horrible execution.

But I have criticized several of Bob's decisions in the past. I think the primary one was when Baylor beat us for the first time in Waco RGIII's senior year, involving a penalty in the last three minutes. And I said so at the time he made it, not two days later after it didn't work.

This looks like a meltdown.

Last edited:

Bob protected Mike....
Like shoes protect feet.
Like helmets protect heads.
Like seatbelt protect drivers.

Bring it... what you got?

I stand corrected. I shouldn't have made the assumption regarding the rekick. I apologize, but you ignored the situation about Mike. All I'm saying is if Mike hadn't been Bob's brother he would have been replaced along with Josh and a few of Bob's other old pals. Maybe not a public firing, but another more brotherly way. At least that's what I believe. You can believe what you like, but OSU fair caught the ball at their own 15 yard line, 85 yards away from the OU goal line with a minute remaining. So Bob wanted to give OSU the ball inside their 10 yard line....but Bob's "decision wasn't horrible"? Wowzer!

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I shouldn't have made the assumption regarding the rekick. I apologize, but you ignored the situation about Mike. All I'm saying is if Mike hadn't been Bob's brother he would have been replaced along with Josh and a few of Bob's other old pals. Maybe not a public firing, but another more brotherly way. At least that's what I believe. You can believe what you like, but OSU fair caught the ball at their own 15 yard line, 85 yards away from the OU goal line with a minute remaining. So Bob wanted to give OSU the ball inside their 10 yard line....but Bob's "decision wasn't horrible"? Wowzer!
Notice it was Bob couldn't put 3 healthy corners out there and they gave up a sieve touchdown the previous drive? No way it could have just been a confused dumbassed decision or Mike's shitty defensive decisions.

Bob literally had no flaws. He would have won them all if it weren't for those players that others gave him to coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT