ADVERTISEMENT

Replay of 2008 OU/TTU game begs the question...

I stand corrected. I shouldn't have made the assumption regarding the rekick. I apologize, but you ignored the situation about Mike. All I'm saying is if Mike hadn't been Bob's brother he would have been replaced along with Josh and a few of Bob's other old pals. Maybe not a public firing, but another more brotherly way. At least that's what I believe. You can believe what you like, but OSU fair caught the ball at their own 15 yard line, 85 yards away from the OU goal line with a minute remaining. So Bob wanted to give OSU the ball inside their 10 yard line....but Bob's "decision wasn't horrible"? Wowzer!
Then there's the 2010 Missouri game, a 36-27 loss. OU trailing 36-21 scored a touchdown late in the game to make it 36-27. Stoops decided to go for two , but it failed and Missouri still had a 2-score lead of 9 points. I thought that Stoops made a wrong decision, and I thought this as OU lined up for the two point conversion. Had OU kicked the extra point, it's 36-28 and OU is down by one score and a two point conversion.
It will never be known what might have happened had OU kicked the extra point to get within 36-28, but playing in Columbus, entering the game ranked number 1, against an unbeaten Missouri team, I thought Stoops should have put his team in a better situation....and yes, I'm second guessing him. (So what ?)
Two weeks later, OU lost to TAMU by 14 points (33-19), then defeated Nebraska in the Big 12 title game and slaughtered the mighty UConn Huskies in the Fiesta Bowl. Another "good, but not that good" season entered the books.
My point is that a team comprises both players and coaches. Players can fumble, drop passes, allow a sack, throw an interception, etc. Coaches can make bad game decisions or fail to prepare the team well or put forth a faulty game plan. A defeat or win falls on everyone's shoulders
Through all of this, there will be criticism by fans and media when losses occur. Coaches and players understand this. Life goes on.

I stand corrected. I shouldn't have made the assumption regarding the rekick. I apologize, but you ignored the situation about Mike. All I'm saying is if Mike hadn't been Bob's brother he would have been replaced along with Josh and a few of Bob's other old pals. Maybe not a public firing, but another more brotherly way. At least that's what I believe. You can believe what you like, but OSU fair caught the ball at their own 15 yard line, 85 yards away from the OU goal line with a minute remaining. So Bob wanted to give OSU the ball inside their 10 yard line....but Bob's "decision wasn't horrible"? Wowzer!

Mike is a much much much more accomplished college coach and coordinator than the new hire. Not close. His jewelry box proves it.

Mike is a much much much more accomplished college coach and coordinator than the new hire. Not close. His jewelry box proves it.
That's the problem. You think once a coach has some shiny things in their jewelry box, then they are untouchable and beyond reproach.

Don't let yourself get distracted by the shiny things in life Plaino.

Are you really going to continue your negative recruiting this close to the start of the season? Why do you hate OU?

So saying that Mike is a high quality coach offends you? How many active DC's have a national title on their resume and conference titles in each of the last two seasons. And a dominance of a top SEC team in their last bowl game? It's a pretty short list.

Your question will have more merit, when I see you take on the frequent assaults on his reputation on this site.

Plaino take a step back from this topic. You seem like a good guy but on this topic you have came across as contradicting and wrong. Nothing wrong with that, it happens to the best of us

Reactions: Senior Sooner
So saying that Mike is a high quality coach offends you? How many active DC's have a national title on their resume and conference titles in each of the last two seasons. And a dominance of a top SEC team in their last bowl game? It's a pretty short list.
This sounds eerily similar to the defense you put up for Heupel during his last season. Before he got fired.

Make sure and preface "top SEC team" with, it was a 5-loss Auburn team that essentially lost their starting QB on the opening drive of the game and had next to zero threat of throwing the ball downfield after that. The stars aligned for Mike that night to make him really look good.

This sounds eerily similar to the defense you put up for Heupel during his last season. Before he got fired.

Make sure and preface "top SEC team" with, it was a 5-loss Auburn team that essentially lost their starting QB on the opening drive of the game and had next to zero threat of throwing the ball downfield after that. The stars aligned for Mike that night to make him really look good.
Winning conference titles (in the 4th or 5th rated conference) by essentially having to outscore opponents each season does not in any way endorse a defensive philosophy or resume. How can this be overlooked ?
If OU having to score over 30 points.....or 45 points.....or 66 points....in order to win is acceptable, then Mike Stoops is your man.

Last edited:

Your question will have more merit, when I see you take on the frequent assaults on his reputation on this site.
Lol. Where do I start?

You actually don't have to look very far to find a defensive coordinator that makes Mike look like the opposite of high quality. Does the name Brent Venables ring a bell? Conference championships the past 2 seasons? Check. National Title? Check. Well actually that has to be National Titles (plural) now. Add to that beat the shit out of OU in their recent 2 games.

Maybe we should move to defensive stats. Oops, probably not a good discussion, unless getting records set on Mike's defense is a good thing. When you view the defensive stats for OU in 2016 on the NCAA website, you have to go to page 2 and in some cases page 3 to find OU (50 teams per page). Is a page 2/3 defense really considered "high quality?"

Auburn a "top" SEC team? LOL.

No, you saying Mike is a high quality coach doesn't offend me. It makes you look like a blind homer though. OU's 2016 success looks to be in spite of OU's defense, not because of it. Outside of the glory years when Venables was coaching with him, Mike Stoops hasn't seemed to bring much of anything to the table in terms of success.

If mediocre to outright bad is high quality to you, that's OK by me, but you'll have to excuse the rest of us who see things based in reality. You're (by anecdotal evidence) the only poster here that calls Mike Stoops "high quality," and it isn't because the rest of us don't know shit about football.

Last edited:
Lol. Where do I start?

You actually don't have to look very far to find a defensive coordinator that makes Mike look like the opposite of high quality. Does the name Brent Venables ring a bell? Conference championships the past 2 seasons? Check. National Title? Check. Well actually that has to be National Titles (plural) now. Add to that beat the shit out of OU in their recent 2 games.

Maybe we should move to defensive stats. Oops, probably not a good discussion, unless getting records set on Mike's defense is a good thing. When you view the defensive stats for OU in 2016 on the NEWS website, you have to go to page 2 and in some cases page 3 to find OU (50 teams per page). Is a page 2/3 defense really considered "high quality?"

No, you saying Mike is a high quality coach doesn't offend me. It makes you look like a blind homer though. OU's 2016 success looks to be in spite of OU's defense, not because of it. Outside of the glory years when Venables was coaching with him, Mike Stoops hasn't seemed to bring much of anything to the table in terms of success.

If mediocre to outright bad is high quality to you, that's OK by me, but you'll have to excuse the rest of us who see things based in reality. You're (by anecdotal evidence) the only poster here that calls Mike Stoops "high quality," and it isn't because the rest of us don't know shit about football.

TD.gif

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Lol. Where do I start?

Maybe we should move to defensive stats. Oops, probably not a good discussion, unless getting records set on Mike's defense is a good thing. When you view the defensive stats for OU in 2016 on the NEWS website, you have to go to page 2 and in some cases page 3 to find OU (50 teams per page). Is a page 2/3 defense really considered "high quality?"

"This is for the urn".

"We're shattering the ashes".

"Yes, of course, but we must transmit the remains in a receptacle".

Wowzer!!

Just a thought..... wouldn't a top quality coordinator have a long line of suitors trying to lure him away every season?
No doubt about it. Look at Lincoln Riley...he is at OU for a few seasons and his name was already getting mentioned around the country of how soon he would get a head coaching gig elsewhere after his time at OU.

Since Mike has been back, I don't think I have heard a single mention of his name being thrown around for coaching vacancies around the country. None.
It's a VERY distinct contrast to his first run here at OU in the early 2000's and he was a hot name for any coaching vacancy that opened up.

Should I be sorry I started this thread? I honestly thought it was an innocent enough observation.

Didn't know we were going to relive the American Revolution... :D
My entire point is that Plaino can't expect to climb up into his ivory tower and relentlessly scold members of this board about how their negative comments about the coaches negatively affects OU recruiting but then do the exact same thing, proclaiming a coach not OU quality before he's even coached in his first August camp, let alone a single down of OU football.

You can choose to spew all kinds of crap on here, but if you're going to be of the "I'm better than you" variety, you better make sure your shit doesn't stink of blatant rotten hypocrisy.

I was hoping plaino would just stop commenting on this topic, he has taken a beating

Me, too, Berry...
In continuing to repeat himself, Plaino is pushing his issues to the point that some of us, who have either been on-the-fence, or reluctant to comment, negatively, have been forced to 'Pile-On' him...

IMO, we have won some games In-spite-of, rather than because-of, Mike Stoops. That could possibly be said about some our other staff members, as well...

Please take a lesson from Kenny Rogers, Plaino...'You gotta know when to hold'... Seems like a good time to walk away...

If the defensive line excels, this will no doubt be the never mind that Ruffin may be coaching better players than he's had at all the mid level schools he has been over the past 35 years.
Coaches and players McNeill has worked with over his career rave about his aptitude and character. I wonder if that had anything to do with him coming to OU.

ADVERTISEMENT