ADVERTISEMENT

Peaking Ahead to '24

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
Even with 2 stinkers resulting in Ls, man this has been a pretty good season. Personally, I think the biggest take away is the emergence of some big time up and comers that I believe will have game changing impacts in 2024.

To name a few:

Gavin Sawchuk - a slow start hampered by injury but finished strong. He showcased a full arsenal of ability. He reminds me quite a bit of Kennedy Brooks.

Kip Lewis - dude is a missle with elite athleticism and snuffs out runs quick. Rufus Alexander clone.

Cayden Green - I really thought he would be OUr next 1st round OT but he is a road grater (grader?) at guard. He's an All American type guy next season. Duke Robinson comparison.

Jayden Gibson - a ton of confidence gained for a guy who has unreal potential. That size is pretty much unguarable.

Nic Anderson - the kid has it all with the size, speed, route running, hands, and nose for the endzone.

Gentry Williams - please stay healthy. He's the best true cover corned we've had in ages.

Robert Spears-Jennings - not quite the splash Gentry made but man is he physical. I could see a massive jump in '24.

Peyton Bowen - wow. Nuff said.

PJ Adebawore - he should have been playing more this season. Schmitty is going to mold him into a freak. He is the caliber of player we've been missing.

Jackson Arnold - IYKYK. The college football world is gonna find out.

Anybody I missed? There were some other good additions and some other guys that elevated but I mostly wanted to focus on the rookies.

You overrated several. The best players will make a big jump, heading to next year. There will be a few that will disappoint us. We have to learn to forget about how many stars they had in high school. Look at our best running back for at least two thirds of the season. The offense will change, and there'll be a whole new pecking order. Especially the guys who'll be going through their first spring practice in three or four months. There will be a whole new Sooner look next year. The opposition will overall be considerably more physical.

It will be a very interesting season.

Even with 2 stinkers resulting in Ls, man this has been a pretty good season. Personally, I think the biggest take away is the emergence of some big time up and comers that I believe will have game changing impacts in 2024.

To name a few:

Gavin Sawchuk - a slow start hampered by injury but finished strong. He showcased a full arsenal of ability. He reminds me quite a bit of Kennedy Brooks.

Kip Lewis - dude is a missle with elite athleticism and snuffs out runs quick. Rufus Alexander clone.

Cayden Green - I really thought he would be OUr next 1st round OT but he is a road grater (grader?) at guard. He's an All American type guy next season. Duke Robinson comparison.

Jayden Gibson - a ton of confidence gained for a guy who has unreal potential. That size is pretty much unguarable.

Nic Anderson - the kid has it all with the size, speed, route running, hands, and nose for the endzone.

Gentry Williams - please stay healthy. He's the best true cover corned we've had in ages.

Robert Spears-Jennings - not quite the splash Gentry made but man is he physical. I could see a massive jump in '24.

PJ Adebawore - he should have been playing more this season. Schmitty is going to mold him into a freak. He is the caliber of player we've been missing.

Anybody I missed? There were some other good additions and some other guys that elevated but I mostly wanted to focus on the rookies.
I thought Vickers played well when he was in there. 6"1 about 200 lbs, if he has a good spring, he and Willaims would be solid at corners. The guys that BV has recruited in the past 2/3 cycles are definitely built for SEC. Most over 6ft and around in that 200lb range.

Will Stutsman and Bowman return? Saw where Stutsman is projected to be a 4th round pick, and haven't seen anything on Bowman yet.
Saw a podcast the other day where Stutsman was talking about Senior Day and something that was done during the festivities. He said he hopes they don't do that next yr. I think that may be a hint he let slip that he is coming back. Maybe not but thats how I took it anyway.

Kaden Helms, I think he will stick around with Littrell now at OC. He's put on some good weight and his recruiting videos, he looked like a WR

Reactions: iasooner2000
Our schedule is 10 factors tougher next year. We have got to ditch the finesse game and establish a bulldozing run game. We have talent but matched up this past year with a very weak non-conference schedule and a very down Big 12 conference. Toughness lies ahead and the coaching will have to be so much better. For a 10-2 team, coaching was a disappointment. Just got to keep things real. Fix the weaknesses.

Our schedule is 10 factors tougher next year. We have got to ditch the finesse game and establish a bulldozing run game. We have talent but matched up this past year with a very weak non-conference schedule and a very down Big 12 conference. Toughness lies ahead and the coaching will have to be so much better. For a 10-2 team, coaching was a disappointment. Just got to keep things real. Fix the weaknesses.
Not to mention the Hostile Environments we will see on the road. @Auburn @LSU @Missouri @ole Miss.

Auburn and LSU are 2 of the toughest places to play in the SEC.
The whole Program is gonna have to step it up.

To name a few:

Hope you’re right on JA as I believe you are. He will be a huge key next year and beyond. Hopefully we’ll see him in the bowl game.

Starters for next season:

QB - Jackson Arnold
RB - Gavin Sawchuk
WR - Nic Anderson
WR - Jalil Farooq
WR - Jaquize Pettiway
TE - Davon Mitchell
LT - ? (MSU transfer)
LG - Cayden Green
C - Josh Bates
RG - ?
RT - Jacob Sexton

DE - R. Mason Thomas
DE - Ethan Downs
DT - David Stone
DT - Da'Jon Terry
WL - Danny Stutsman
ML - Kobie McKenzie
Cheeta - Dasan McCullough
CB - Gentry Williams
CB - Kendall Dolby
S - Billy Bowman
S - Peyton Bowen

Got some serious gaps to fill on both lines but especially the OL. BV will have too many options at linebacker and DB. Can't see Peyton Bowen not starting but Spears-Jennings is starter level.

Personally I would like to see McCullough move down into a DE and Spears-Jennings/Bowen and Kanak rotate at cheeta depending on the down and distance.

8m not a big fan Of Dolby, I know he made some plays but his covering skills are not worthy of a starting corner spot in the SEC.

is Aaron Parks still on the team, I know he was in portal this summer then withdrew. OL will be an issue, they will be really young next year. Both guard positions will likely need to be filled. Jake Taylor is someone who could possible fill one, guess Bates/Everett could fill the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT