ADVERTISEMENT

Our next Basketball Coach should be

PryorFan

Sooner starter
Dec 26, 2004
Kelvin Sampson. He’s doing a good job at Houston. Prior discretions not nearly as serious as what’s happening at the college level today. We now know that Steve Henson was the reason for basketball success while an OU assistant.

Kruger was a good hire to clean things up and put a good face on the program. Lets be honest though....OU is never going to be a bb powerhouse no matter who the coach is

I sure would like to see OU upgrade and be more competitive. You're probably right that OU will never be a "powerhouse," but I'd be happy with 25-win seasons, compete with KU for the B12, get 3 and 4 seeds to the Big Dance and make a few Sweet 16s, Elite 8s and an occasional Final 4.

What we've got right now is nowhere near what I've described.

Let us not forget that we easily could have been one stop or better shot selection from the 2nd round at the least, and have won a bunch more conf games, If Only... I know, that attitude and a buck will get us a cup of joe these days, maybe

Reactions: Schoonerman
I sure would like to see OU upgrade and be more competitive. You're probably right that OU will never be a "powerhouse," but I'd be happy with 25-win seasons, compete with KU for the B12, get 3 and 4 seeds to the Big Dance and make a few Sweet 16s, Elite 8s and an occasional Final 4.

Well were just in the final 4 a few years ago. I say if OU can make a final four once every 10 years or so then that might be the best we can hope for. Its just hard to recruit against Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. The only reason Young came to OU is because he was from Norman.

None of you, myself included, know what the landscape for future NCAA Mens Basketball
is gonna be. Most every power 5 bigtime school could wind up in a dung pool with current
FBI investigation, ongoing. OU may not have to upgrade dramatically to be competitive. The following teams could be on probation once the s h i t hits the fan. Duke, N. Carolina, Kansas, Texas, Louisville, and Auburn are just a few of the programs that could wind up in that dung heap.

Oh, t
None of you, myself included, know what the landscape for future NCAA Mens Basketball
is gonna be. Most every power 5 bigtime school could wind up in a dung pool with current
FBI investigation, ongoing. OU may not have to upgrade dramatically to be competitive. The following teams could be on probation once the s h i t hits the fan. Duke, N. Carolina, Kansas, Texas, Louisville, and Auburn are just a few of the programs that could wind up in that dung heap.

Wow. That’s a terrific way to gain notoriety. Just hang around until the elite programs get the death penalty. No matter what, OU will never be an elite basketball program....no matter who goes down.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Oh, t

Wow. That’s a terrific way to gain notoriety. Just hang around until the elite programs get the death penalty. No matter what, OU will never be an elite basketball program....no matter who goes down.
Do they get to be called elite just for winning, if they're cheating to do so? I don't think so. Had they not cheated, would they still be powerhouses? Might not some of that talent been spread around a little more if they weren't cheating? Couldn't a few other teams, that didn't cheat, gotten those elite kids and have taken their place? I don't have a problem with his line of thinking.

Will we ever be elite? We won't be if we don't try.

Reactions: iasooner1
Do they get to be called elite just for winning, if they're cheating to do so? I don't think so. Had they not cheated, would they still be powerhouses? Might not some of that talent been spread around a little more if they weren't cheating? Couldn't a few other teams, that didn't cheat, gotten those elite kids and have taken their place? I don't have a problem with his line of thinking.

Will we ever be elite? We won't be if we don't try.

All good points, but I seriously doubt that NCAA’s blueblood programs will be penalized to the point that it hurts college basketball. Money. To your point, it’s wrong, however the system won’t allow too much to happen, in my estimation. As far as OU is concerned, what MUST we do to sign 3 + five star basketballers year in and year out? That’s what it will take to become elite. Could be dangerous for a school that’s never had much of a basketball program.

I’m just a big believer in the power of a good head coach. If Bob Stoops landed at Buffalo, do you not think they’d become a powerhouse where they’ve never been one before?

The right people in place can change a landscape. That’s what we need at OU. I had HIGH hopes for Lon, but they’ve not had the success I’d like to see consistently. But still, if we landed a Roy Williams or Geno Auriemma, I think we could become as successful as any other program.

OU wasn’t an elite program in softball until Patti arrived. OU wasn’t tne elite team in gymnastics before Mark Williams arrived (although we did have some success prior).

It can be done.

OU wasn’t an elite program in softball until Patti arrived. OU wasn’t tne elite team in gymnastics before Mark Williams arrived (although we did have some success prior).

It can be done.

Damnit, Micco, are you going to keep blowing up posts. LOL. You’re right. I am just a frustrated old fart with little hope for change when it comes to OU basketball. Good that you do. Kudos. I’ll get back to you during football season. :cool:

Actually what you just described is literally what OU basketball is.

Take out an 11-win season in 2016 and they've averaged 22.5 wins a year over the last five. Final Four? Yep. Two Sweet 16s. Elite Eight? Obviously.

Highest NCAA seed? 2-seed (2016), 5-seed (2014), 3-seed (2015) and, of course, the meltdown this past season that landed them a 10-seed. NCAA Tournament five of last six seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT