ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs UT

It all boils down to JA is a bust and Seth is a bad OC. BB is not off the hook either as we knew the SEC was looming and this is the best he could do with an offensive line? Forget the injuries they would not be that much better and the depth proves that. Why can't he recruit the guys he needs?

A 5 star quarterback “bust” isn’t new for the Sooners. We’ll find a way to recover if Arnold doesn’t pan out.

A 5 star quarterback “bust” isn’t new for the Sooners. We’ll find a way to recover if Arnold doesn’t pan out.
Amen to that. The defense gave OU a chance to win. The offense with JA not so much. Going forward Auburn might be winnable but only if they make the change at this point. Winning at Auburn next week is a must, otherwise I think BV may just lose this team for the rest of the season.

What 5-star has panned out for OU, More times than not they do not play like 5 star kids at OU. Where is PJ Adebawore???? David Stone???? Peyton Bowens hasnt made stood out yet, but at least hes on the field. Davon Mitchell was/is a 5 star TE 6'3 260, he has to be a better blocker than Sharp.
As for the OL, 4/5 are transfer players, MSU, USC, North Texas, SMU, none of these guys have played against great defenses and transferred for a reason. We have some good young talent on the roster, BB needs to develop these guys quickly. Pierre-Louis is a freak athlete, he cant do any worse than what we have seen this year.

Reactions: iasooner24
I don't think we have a five star qb bust. I think somehow, we have the worst offensive line we've had since everybody got hurt at the end of the 2001 season. That was also a great OU defensive team, but started four freshmen the last half of the season because of injuries. And we have another great defense.

But the OLine problems are going to get OUr skill players hurt, beat up and other kinds of bad. Also, keep in mind that the Vols didn't really prepare for Hawkins. He likely won look as good as he did last night, when has some tape for opposing DC's to look at. UTenn is good. Ouryoung OL's will improve. Those young guys in 2001, were pretty good by the end of the '02 season, and close to elite in '03 and '04. But right now, I just hope we survive.

JA has taken way too many hits. The substitution last night may have saved his body for later. We're likely going to need him.

Reactions: iasooner24
Should have stood pat with our roots. If we win only 2 more games this season, let one of them be the whorens, should have never followed them down this path

I don't think we have a five star qb bust. I think somehow, we have the worst offensive line we've had since everybody got hurt at the end of the 2001 season. That was also a great OU defensive team, but started four freshmen the last half of the season because of injuries. And we have another great defense.

But the OLine problems are going to get OUr skill players hurt, beat up and other kinds of bad. Also, keep in mind that the Vols didn't really prepare for Hawkins. He likely won look as good as he did last night, when has some tape for opposing DC's to look at. UTenn is good. Ouryoung OL's will improve. Those young guys in 2001, were pretty good by the end of the '02 season, and close to elite in '03 and '04. But right now, I just hope we survive.

JA has taken way too many hits. The substitution last night may have saved his body for later. We're likely going to need him.
Nobody hit Arnold when he threw the int right to the other team or when he threw the ball backwards (more than once). Lets stop making excuses for him.

Nobody hit Arnold when he threw the int right to the other team or when he threw the ball backwards (more than once). Lets stop making excuses for him.
BV talked about that specific play in his presser today. A back didn't do his blocking duty, forcing JA to scramble left and was about to be hit when he threw the pick. He also talked about a receiver running the wrong route, causing an interception on an RPO. He said that JA should have read the pattern of the play to hand off the ball. But the receiver made a throw an impossibility.

Bob Stoops used to say that one of the most important factors for a good or great quarterback, and the most underrated trait, is pocket presence and the courage is takes to stand in there. JA has all the talent. But I think sometimes you have to be very careful in QB recruiting, with quarterbacks who play for juggernaut programs. When you play for a team like Guyer, you're not used to much adversity. Your receivers are better than almost everybody else's DB. You OL's keep your uniform pretty clean. And you always have terrific to great running game. JA can play. But his inexperienced talents aren't enough, at least at this point, to overcame a mediocre at best OL. I posted eariler this week that I fear we're going to get our backs and receivers beat up, because they can't block anybody. This isn't about schreme. It's about the failure so far to knock anybody off the ball. That paltry rushing performance against UTenn was pathetic. I know they're good. But we NEVER blocked anybody.

If we get beat Saturday, with a depleted roster, I fear we'll not win a conference game. OUr defense is really good. But we can't expect them to perform with any greatness after three and outs, over and over again. The injuries have killed us. But the recruiting of people like Spencer Brown, who is a dreadlful offensive lineman, is more than a head scratcher. And we seem to have a roster of OL's where over half are at least as not ready to play.

I'm glad for the QB change. I think there's a little more quickness in Hawkings running ability. I also believe that now that future opponents have some tape on him, and will have more after this week. That his inexperience will start to really show up. But there is no doubt that UTenn kept their studs in on defense for the entire game. Hawkins moved the ball. Arnold did not. I think we'll need both of them before the season is over, because they are both going to get beat up.

BV said the other day that the play where JA threw that latetal that was ruled a behind the line pass and Tenn recovered was not even a play in the playbook. What?
It wasnt suppose be a RPO play. He said it was suppose to be a straight handoff according to Gabe and Teddy. On the positive side Teddy said yesterday BV stated they would go back to the basics and elimate the RPO option.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Who's the 5 star QB's? Bell and Rattler are both NFL players. TBOW was never all in on Rattler. I'm surprised they even coached him. Bomar was a bust at OU.

Last edited:
Who's the 5 star QB's? Bomar and Rattler are both NFL players. TBOW was never all in on Rattler. I'm surprised they even coached him. Bomar was a bust at OU.
In 2023, Bomar was rated the #2 recruit between Peterson #1 and Williams #3 for OU over the past 20 years. I would call Bomar’s time at OU a major failure. Just focusing on the Sooner program I would include Rattler, Rawls (a 4 star) and Williams as well.

In 2023, Bomar was rated the #2 recruit between Peterson #1 and Williams #3 for OU over the past 20 years. I would call Bomar’s time at OU a major failure. Just focusing on the Sooner program I would include Rattler, Rawls (a 4 star) and Williams as well.
Bomar was definitely a bust. Wasn't he from Wichita?

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I dont know if I would call him a bust. He was ahead of his times as far as NIL goes. He was the offensive MVP of the bowl game that year in a win or Oregon. Went to Sam Houston and set several passing records there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT