ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs TX game thread

Pledger's nose for gaining extra yards is great. He can run well inside behind the big boys in front of him.
It seemed TJ was better at finding holes, or waiting for one than Major was. But, given a nice hole, Major was very good at exploiting it. Neither was great, but both were decent and more than sufficient for the day.

Reactions: CTOkie
So what ? He just won a tough game over his main rival. It was an emotional win for OU.
Yeah and his decision making made it a hell of a lot tougher than it should have been. The guy makes 5 million plus a year, he’s 2-2 with inexplicable loses, there’s your ‘so what’ . Try doing that at your job and see how it works out for you.

• Haha
Reactions: JConXtsy
Agree. He has good vision, keeps low, and runs hard. Would definitely not call him a power back, but finishes runs well.

Yeah and his decision making made it a hell of a lot tougher than it should have been. The guy makes 5 million plus a year, he’s 2-2 with inexplicable loses, there’s your ‘so what’ . Try doing that at your job and see how it works out for you.

Do you expect us to go 13-1 or 12-2 every year? It's just not realistic man.

I'm pretty sure Rattler is the real deal. He just needs a couple of years of big time college experience, and Riley is good at developing QBs.

Grinch's unit is still struggling some, but they're slowly getting there. They're making real progress. They were great today, but just went up against a determined 5th year Sr. QB. But they shut down the TX running game big time, and got after SE in the pass rush.

Next year we'll be back on top of the Big XII.

Reactions: Sooners83
I'm surprised by all the criticism of Lincoln Riley in this thread. We're short a lot of players. And it is in clumps. We are short of defensive big guys. We're missing the best two Perkins and Redmond. We're missing the top three running backs. We're missing two of the top four receivers. We are playing rookies at left tackle and quarterback.

Please, please recruit a stud to play inside linebacker. White sucks. Asamoah is a quality number two and situational guy, But he shouldn't be a starter on a good team.

However, the only coach quibble I have is with Grinch. OU didn't use a spy until overtime. Worked pretty good. Should have been on the last two Texas drives of regulation or maybe earlier. But we saw a different team today. We found a db who could catch a ball. And some guys who haven't played much, made some plays. Washington and Terry come to mind.

The two most crucial calls of the game, I thought Lincoln Riley got it right. Even though it didn't work, I still think you are right to throw in third down on the last possession of regulation. OU's D was not going to stop them. And on 4th and a foot in OT, he went for it going first on the south end. We would have lost, otherwise.

We''re not likely to win out, as Rattler has a lot of learning to do.

The most shocking thing to me today, is how bad Texas really is. It's hard for me to consider feeling sorry for Ehlinger. But that team is a mess. You have to love it.

Do you expect us to go 13-1 or 12-2 every year? It's just not realistic man.

I'm pretty sure Rattler is the real deal. He just needs a couple of years of big time college experience, and Riley is good at developing QBs.

Grinch's unit is still struggling some, but they're slowly getting there. They're making real progress. They were great today, but just went up against a determined 5th year Sr. QB. But they shut down the TX running game big time, and got after SE in the pass rush.

Next year we'll be back on top of the Big XII.
I have the same expectations a Bama fan would have for Saban, don’t lose the games you shouldn’t.The Big 12 is not particularly strong especially this year. I’m not worried about Rattler. Riley is timid and conservative, with a small lead, especially in an emotional game like this.

I have the same expectations a Bama fan would have for Saban, don’t lose the games you shouldn’t.The Big 12 is not particularly strong especially this year. I’m not worried about Rattler. Riley is timid and conservative, with a small lead, especially in an emotional game like this.

Riley is a fantastic coach. His winning percentage is off the charts, and he's won the CC each of his first three years, the first two without a defense with a pulse.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Did you see the 1996 RRR? 0-4 coming in with losses including Tulsa and two other eventual 4-7 teams. Then afterward, Blake said we won because of God.

That’s funny. I watched the 1996 game on one of the ESPN channels this morning before kick off. Maybe Blake was right. Big upset over a ranked team.

Reactions: iasooner1
Riley at 37 years will be improve when he has better and more experienced talent on the roster, and that will be soon. Stoops made some strange and even bad decisions in his years as OU's coach.
If you follow this team, you know it's in a bit of a transition period, for his players, his coaches and himself.
So lighten up.

Riley at 37 years will be improve when he has better and more experienced talent on the roster, and that will be soon. Stoops made some strange and even bad decisions in his years as OU's coach.
If you follow this team, you know it's in a bit of a transition period, for his players, his coaches and himself.
So lighten up.
Riley better take an interest with the defense or lack there of, the defensive ineptitude started when Venebels left.

Reactions: CTOkie
Riley better take an interest with the defense or lack there of, the defensive ineptitude started when Venebels left.
I think he is, but the "dirty diaper" Grinch inherited won't be "cleaned" quickly. Grinch needs to bring in his kinds of players. Maybe the first half of this game revealed a little of that, even with the lower level of talent he has to work with overall.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
So lighten up.

Stoops made several bad decisions during his time. This is a transition year with all the things going on and with the loss of several key players. We will most likely be inconsistent but hopefully we can have something to build on for next season. I do like the way Rattler played late in the game and the Dline was actually pretty darn good. I'm proud the players didn't give up and gutted out the win

I think he is, but the "dirty diaper" Grinch inherited won't be "cleaned" quickly. Grinch needs to bring in his kinds of players. Maybe the first half of this game revealed a little of that, even with the lower level of talent he has to work with overall.
I BURN to this day the Georgia loss in the Rose Bowl a couple of years back. IF WE HAD HALF A DEFENSE...............

I BURN to this day the Georgia loss in the Rose Bowl a couple of years back. IF WE HAD HALF A DEFENSE...............
That kickoff at the end of the 1st half was the specific Sentinel event from which our Defense and this team has never recovered. Now it’s a mental hurdle we have to learn to clear, over a long period of time, to put it behind us.

What? Name a coach. 1 coach. Name 1. just 1 that got better with age. You're fooling yourself, homie.
Stoops made bad decisions when he got older and more loopy. Like you.
JCon, Here's one.......Tom Osborne, who started his tenure at Nebraska in 1973, got better with age as he won consecutive national championships in 1994 and 1995, then again in 1997, his final year at age 60.
Why are you so hostile ? Calm down.

JCon, I was born and raised in Texas, attended OU, and have follow this team since the Wilkinson days, so leave my age and my current residence out of your anger, which is totally unnecessary.
I'm only talking football here, sharing an opinion. Disagree all you want, but stop with the hatred.

JCon, I was born and raised in Texas, attended OU, and have follow this team since the Wilkinson days, so leave my age and my current residence out of your anger, which is totally unnecessary.
I'm only talking football here, sharing an opinion. Disagree all you want, but stop with the hatred.

My apologies. It's over. You're one of the few regular posters here, so getting in a toss with you is like shutting down the board that I've posted on for 20+ years. I sincerely apologize.

I get it, man. My father and mother are older. They're on their last "legs." More like hairs.
I get really excited about Oklahoma football - more so than I should. I work in a high demand industry, and I have a lot of direct reports. On work, I have to be frank and direct with people otherwise they slack and eat my lunch. I errantly let that personality work its way over to here.

I will say this... As crappy and silly as that game looked to me, my son is 8 and just starting to pay attention to sports. He freaking loved the drama.

After watching that turd of a game, he was so amped up with excitement and silliness that we rode bikes to the park and passed the pigskin back and forth for a good 2 hours before riding bikes home.

He was on another level. In some weird way, I think the worst OU-TX game in history made my son a lifelong Sooner fan. Crazy.

Last edited:
Don't like that post, 22LR! :)
Forever, I'm going to have to hear about what a great game this was from my fledgling football offspring. I'm going to be reminded of this dumpster fire for the rest of my life. God willing, I go early.

Don't like that post, 22LR! :)
Forever, I'm going to have to hear about what a great game this was from my fledgling football offspring. I'm going to be reminded of this dumpster fire for the rest of my life. God willing, I go early.

JCon....Just enjoy the time with
your son now. One day, and I promise you, you will sit back and recall these times gratefully. Especially if you’re right and he becomes a Sooner fan. Boomer!!

ADVERTISEMENT