ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs Nebraska 18 Sept...

Nebraska actually outplayed Illinois especially on defense. But the stupid mistakes killed them. They intentionally drove the opposing quarterback into the ground for at least two penalties. One of them cost an interception. The screw up trip on the kick return on the goal line. The sack/fumble/touchdown. Nebraska's defense did a lot of good things, and they were physical. But big mistakes killed them. And because of way too many offensive penalties, it seemed like they were second and more than 15 half of their possessions.

Their defense was pretty good, and I don't think the qb was as bad as he's been in the past. But his surrounding talent would be in the bottom four if they were still in the Big XII.

Reactions: iasooner2000
If Nub loses again tickets will be plentiful. That’s how it’s always been in the many years I have trekked to Norman

Reactions: 22LR
The Event 'Legends & Legacies' is being sponsored by the Varsity O Club, and is by invitation, only. It's at the Historic McCasland Field House...Friday, @ 6:00 for Cocktails...7:00 Dinner. Highlight of the event will be the Legacy of the Selmons, and the future statue honoring them...
Seniorita please favor us all by getting pictures of you, Scottsdale and Plaino (and any other board members) for us to cherish. Bonus points if King is included

I am really excited. I'm going to get to attend the team reunion on Friday night. Just found out this afternoon. Rearranged my schedule to take Friday off to get there in plenty of time.

Now, I just have to find a single for the game.
Once you get set up on the App there is a "buy tickets" tag that will give you an opportunity to buy direct from a season ticket holder. I look forward to meeting any of us attending this function or the game. Unless there is specific assigned seating I should be at the same table with Forrest Valora. I am easy to spot. I am that very handsome 70 year old guy that might just be a little louder than everyone else. All kidding aside, let's make an effort to connect.

Last edited:
Seniorita please favor us all by getting pictures of you, Scottsdale and Plaino (and any other board members) for us to cherish. Bonus points if King is included
I had an amazing time Friday night at the GOTC celebration. I was expecting a Get-Together. It was a banquet. I haven't been to many banquets, but I've been to a few. This was the best I've ever attended. There were square tables and round ones. My square table had Toby Rowland and his dad. Toby was the event's primary host. Jenni Carlson was there next to some northeast network guy I never heard of, but he and I talked a good bit.

He asked my if in those day, Nebraska was a bigger rival that Texas. I didn't think so, and explained why.

I sat next to Glenn King and his wife. Glenn and I both got there early and we rehashed 50 years ago. For the uninformed, Glenn was OU's first African American football captain in 1971, the year of the GOTC. But he didn't get to play in the game, having broken his leg against Colorado. He went to the coin toss on crutches.

I knew Glenn just barely in high school. Both his hometown, Jacksboro, and my hometown, Plano, were in AA in those days. I was track manager for two years and the worst miler in school history my junior year. Glenn won a lot of medals in the sprints. Over half the track meets, we were at the same meet, even though the schools are 100 miles apart.

OU had recruited 3 or 4 Jacksboro players in his class, back in the days when we could recruit 45 in one class. One of his teammates at both places, Jimmy Gilmore, sold my first Ford Ranger. Glenn is such a quality guy. He's my brother in Christ, and a former city councilman in Rochester NY, where his met his wife of over 30 years. We had a good talk. He signed my 50 year old program, against my objection, he had me sign is autograph ball he brought for the occasion. We also had a good hug.

Three different hosts interviewed attendees, including J.C. Watts and Curtis Lofton. Nebraska players from their '71 team, plus a few others were there. OUr table was backed up to their university president and new AD, Trev Alberts, and maybe two feet from me was Rich Glover, whose incredible play was the difference in the game. Do you know how hard it is for anybody to make 22 tackles in one game? Linebackers, extremely rarely. Nose guards like Glover, unheard of. I also got Rich to sign my game program with Joe Wylie's image on the cover.

I met several other Sooners, who I'd known 50 years ago, including Tom Brahaney and Mike Hawpe. I also had a nice chat with Bill Hancock, who was the sports editor of the Oklahoma Daily I think my soph year. I knew him a little back in the day. He's been a very big dog in national college football for awhile including presenting several national championship trophies. Bill and I agreed that the key event in the creation of OU's so-called 2nd dynasty was the recruitment of Jack MIldren.

The stars in the crowd that night were astounding. Among those interviewed were Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops. Huskers Glover and Tony Davis. As was their AD.

King was the first interview of the evening. Brian Bosworth, Joe C, and then three Selmon brothers, Dewey, Lucious and one of their older brothers. There was an hour devoted at the end to a tribute to Lee Roy, Dewey and Lucious, their unique role in OU history, and what great people their parents were, especially mom. Particularly due to Barry's urging, it was announced that a statue of the three brothers will be unveiled in 2022 and an image was shown at the end of the night. Then they handed out hats at the departing table with a pic of the statue on the front. I assume the statue will be near Heisman Park.

The food was great, the night was special, and I feel blessed to have attended.

It's hard for me to realize that Jack has been gone for 13 years, along with a third of our starters on November 25, 1971.

I wrote something similar to this Sunday night, but my computer ate it.

Last edited:
I looked for SS and Plaino but there were many and the activity was pretty intense for the evening. Seems like I met everyone but these two!! It was an excellent event. Well organized.
I was at the table on the far left. Second Row. When they (J.C.?) interviewed Rich Glover, I was arms length from his right. I look a lot different than I've looked in my life. Lost 50 pounds. My hair is very short. Still gray sideburns a little less brown on the top. I got a number three on my hair all over, two days before the event.

Reactions: Medic007
Once you get set up on the App there is a "buy tickets" tag that will give you an opportunity to buy direct from a season ticket holder. I look forward to meeting any of us attending this function or the game. Unless there is specific assigned seating I should be at the same table with Forrest Valora. I am easy to spot. I am that very handsome 70 year old guy that might just be a little louder than everyone else. All kidding aside, let's make an effort to connect.
I have a real challenge right now. I can't get my password to work on my phone. I can only post from my laptop, and I didn't want to take my laptop to Norman. Leaving it in the hot sun, in my car for 5 hours on game day, just doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm sorry I didn't see this until today, For whatever reason, I can't get OUInsider to work on my phone, either.

I also want to thank the people who in my non nerd post, tried to help me download the Sooner ticket app. Turns out that the guy I bought the ticket from, was a season ticket holder, who actually had a real paper ticket. So I paid him $125 and sat next to him. It was a great season. I didn't even know there was a row 75 anywhere in the lower bowl, but in a couple of section on the far north end of the west side, there are actually two sections that have row 76.

He was older than me, and a longer time Sooner fan, and every bit as opinionated as me. And a really good guy. The upper deck overhung our seats so I had no sun to mess with on a hot day. And because he has some health issues, as do I, we were allowed to take the Santee elevator up to the next to last row of the lower bowl. We had a bathroom close by, which is very important now that I'm and one, and only one food booth. They sold Mexican only, and soda. Not even candy. But we didn't suffer with the long lines that I heard about, elsewhere. It was apparently so bad, that Joe C apologized for the delays.

I was at the table on the far left. Second Row. When they (J.C.?) interviewed Rich Glover, I was arms length from his right. I look a lot different than I've looked in my life. Lost 50 pounds. My hair is very short. Still gray sideburns a little less brown on the top. I got a number three on my hair all over, two days before the event.
We must have been side by side. I was far left third row. I spoke to Rich just before the interviews started. We spent a good 10 minutes talking to JC next to your table. Forrest Valora and I talked to Bobby Proctor just next to your table also. He is turning 90 soon and looks exactly the same.

I had the good fortune to be able to upgrade my seats this year to the Santee Lounge. I am Sec 5 row 69. I hope to get closer to row 60 next year.

Sorry we missed one another. No worries, we will meet at some point. I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of our honorable Medic07.

We must have been side by side. I was far left third row. I spoke to Rich just before the interviews started. We spent a good 10 minutes talking to JC next to your table. Forrest Valora and I talked to Bobby Proctor just next to your table also. He is turning 90 soon and looks exactly the same.

I had the good fortune to be able to upgrade my seats this year to the Santee Lounge. I am Sec 5 row 69. I hope to get closer to row 60 next year.

Sorry we missed one another. No worries, we will meet at some point. I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of our honorable Medic07.
When Glenn King was the first interview of the evening, I was sitting two seats south of him. His wife was the seat between us. Jenni was across the table from me.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT