ADVERTISEMENT

OU now in the playoff picture

Even if Georgia loses in the champ game, it's still going to be difficult to have Georgia fall that far down and below ND as they beat them head to head. I bet the committee is hoping either Georgia, Bama, or ND lose a game before that conference title game. If not, I think there is going to be pretty crowded at the top.

After giving up 52 pts and w/ the Iowa St & tOSU losses, I think we drop in the committee rankings.

Georgia did not look dominant over South Carolina and Clemson did not look dominant over NC State. Both OSU and Penn State lost and Wisconsin still has to play either Michigan State, Ohio State or Penn State if they play in the Big X championship.

A lot can happen, but if OU can win out, they will be in the playoffs.

I realize that I'm in the minority, but I'd almost rather not even MAKE the Playoffs, than to be embarassed in them, as we have been in the past. That's not a Give-Up Play, here, just my opinion that this team is not well-balanced enough to be a contender. Those 'Big Games' we played in, and lost in such a big way, on such a huge stage, Damaged our recruiting, rather than Enhanced it...IMO

On the other hand, we still have yards to go before we sleep...

Georgia did not look dominant over South Carolina and Clemson did not look dominant over NC State. Both OSU and Penn State lost and Wisconsin still has to play either Michigan State, Ohio State or Penn State if they play in the Big X championship.

A lot can happen, but if OU can win out, they will be in the playoffs.

I'll have to respectfully disagree. While one can think that Georgia and Clemson did not look 'dominant', comparing them to giving up 52 pts is what is not looking dominant. At this point, Wisconsin is the Big 10 player. They are undefeated. They will get a lot of love now. I do not see how an undefeated Big 10 team can be excluded from the playoffs. And I want to re-iterate, if Georgia loses to a #1 or a #2 Bama, they will NOT drop below ND due to their head to head win. But... if for some reason they place ND above them, they will not kick Georgia out of the top four. Just my opinion at this point of the season. Things can and will change going forward as I see a tremendous amount of carnage as the season continues to unfold. All OU can do is win out and hope for a few key losses from either ND, Wisconsin, Clemson, Bama, and Georgia.

I realize that I'm in the minority, but I'd almost rather not even MAKE the Playoffs, than to be embarassed in them, as we have been in the past. That's not a Give-Up Play, here, just my opinion that this team is not well-balanced enough to be a contender. Those 'Big Games' we played in, and lost in such a big way, on such a huge stage, Damaged our recruiting, rather than Enhanced it...IMO

Agree.
And no one should accuse you for being negative, given your connection and history with this team.
I think OU and its fans should just be concerned with winning out the last three games and then the conference championship...and letting the future take care of itself. If OU makes the 4 team playoff bracket, fine. Then maybe OU's greatest quarterback can win OU's biggest game ever.

Agree.
And no one should accuse you for being negative, given your connection and history with this team.
I think OU and its fans should just be concerned with winning out the last three games and then the conference championship...and letting the future take care of itself. If OU makes the 4 team playoff bracket, fine. Then maybe OU's greatest quarterback can win OU's biggest game ever.
I thought of those points, CT, and the one thing that weights my opinion the most, is that our D needs SO MUCH improvement, and there is not any realistic hope for that, with the same staff in place...If they can't put together a strong Defensive package in 6 (?) Years, I see no way they can do it in 6 weeks...

On the other hand, if we make it that far, 4 Games/4 Wins, then it would be VERY Wrong to deny this team the opportunity to, SOMEHOW, go all the way...I DO believe in Magic...Sooner Magic, and more recently, Mayfield Magic! ;)

But our defense seems to do so much better against non-B12 pass happy teams. Look what we did to tOSU. We can stop more traditional teams like Bama and UGA. We beat a very good Bama team in the Sugar Bowl. We just need to get through the conference and I'll take our chances in the playoffs.

Well, this is the Big XII. When the OU defense goes up against a conventional offense, they look a hell of a lot better. Remember Alabama a few years back? Making the playoffs is a lot better for recruiting than just a good bowl game in estimation. I'm more worried about our offense against a Clemson like defense than I am about our defense.

But our defense seems to do so much better against non-B12 pass happy teams. Look what we did to tOSU. We can stop more traditional teams like Bama and UGA. We beat a very good Bama team in the Sugar Bowl. We just need to get through the conference and I'll take our chances in the playoffs.
Ya OU's defense looked solid against Bama, but I also remember thanking god that night that Saban didn't figure out to keep leaning on Henry running the ball. HUGE mistake by Saban that let OU's defense off the hook in my opinion. Not only that, but Bama was very likely not up fully for the game anyways.
Then Mike's defense followed that game up with back-to-back post season rapings against Clemson. Both games Clemson could have piled on alot more points than they did.
Defense looked good against Auburn last year, but Auburn lost it's starting QB to a broken arm on the first drive of the game, and didn't know it till nearly halftime cuz the kid kept playing. After that Auburn presented nearly zero threat to throw the ball downfield. Made Mike's job pretty easy.

I will say this, if OU gets into the playoff they can't rely on scoring 50+ points to carry the defense. OU will face legit defenses in the playoffs.

Assuming we continue to overcome Mike's D, this weekend decides our fate:

ND loses @Miami
or
UGA loses @Aubie

Neither happens, we're out.

Both undefeated Bama and UGA stay in the top four, if whomever loses in the SEC CCG is close enough score-wise.

Clemson has nobody left in the regular season - our best hope was NC State, who came close but no cigar.

The only possibility left in the CCGs is this: a 1-loss Miami team (assuming ND beats them) beats Clemson in the ACC game, knocking both out. No way we go over ND with a better loss (UGA) and a new scalp of Miami.

Sure there are other unlikely upsets you can hope against hope for (e.g., Stanford over ND, the former just losing to Wazzu), but our clearest and best odds are ND losing to Miami, UGA losing to Aubie and/or Clemson losing to a 1 loss Miami team.

Finally, Miami winning out (with wins over top 4 teams ND and Clemson) goes over us, so if an undefeated Miami plays Clemson in the ACC CCG game there is no one to root for - the winner is in the Final Four over us.

As for Wiscy ("I do not see how an undefeated Big 10 team can be excluded from the playoffs"), if they have one top 25 win (the Big10 CCG), we go over them. Their resume' will still suck at the end of the year and the committee does not mind sending the message of "schedule someone better than BYU as your big non-conf win." We'll likely have at least 4 top 25 wins (the same tOSU win, but at their place, oSu, TCU (twice?), and possibly UWV, to their 1 (tOSU). Its not even close.

Last edited:
I thought of those points, CT, and the one thing that weights my opinion the most, is that our D needs SO MUCH improvement, and there is not any realistic hope for that, with the same staff in place...If they can't put together a strong Defensive package in 6 (?) Years, I see no way they can do it in 6 weeks...

On the other hand, if we make it that far, 4 Games/4 Wins, then it would be VERY Wrong to deny this team the opportunity to, SOMEHOW, go all the way...I DO believe in Magic...Sooner Magic, and more recently, Mayfield Magic! ;)
Agree. The lack of defense is a major stumbling block. Its eneptitude will doom OU against Alabama, the one team to aim for in going the distance. If OU advances to play Alsbama, I expect Saban’s team to be much better prepared and focused than it was in the Sugar Bowl.

Agree. The lack of defense is a major stumbling block. Its eneptitude will doom OU against Alabama, the one team to aim for in going the distance. If OU advances to play Alsbama, I expect Saban’s team to be much better prepared and focused than it was in the Sugar Bowl.

I think OU would match up better against Alabama than most think. I would be more concerned playing Clemson again. Besides if we do make the playoffs, playing Alabama in the first round would be sweet win or lose. They ain’t beat us since Namath was the Tide quarterback, which is the only loss. OU holds a 3-1-1 record over Bama. Alabama’s offense is not great. Their defense is, but I think Baker and the boys can out score ‘em. And, Mike can hold them to under 32. That might be enough. Call me crazy.

Rather not make the playoffs? What is going on in Soonerville? A solution for those who fear going to the playoffs, change to the OSU Cowboys then you’ll have no worries. I like our chances against any college team in the nation with our offense and a defense that will be better by the end of the season. Good grief, the OSU defense gave up 800 yards and 62 points and they were suppose to be better. OSU does have nfl talent on the offensive side.

Now on to Frog hunting! Boomer Sooner, #8 is here!

Reactions: iasooner1
I think OU would match up better against Alabama than most think. I would be more concerned playing Clemson again. Besides if we do make the playoffs, playing Alabama in the first round would be sweet win or lose. They ain’t beat us since Namath was the Tide quarterback, which is the only loss. OU holds a 3-1-1 record over Bama. Alabama’s offense is not great. Their defense is, but I think Baker and the boys can out score ‘em. And, Mike can hold them to under 32. That might be enough. Call me crazy.
In the three wins over Alabama, two came against two of Bama’s lesser teams and the Trevor Knight miracle game which, in my opinion, came against an Alabama team still reeling from its “kick-six” loss to Auburn. That Alabama team played as if they didn’t want a Sugar Bowl berth and thought OU would be a pushover. And who could have figured on Knight’s Cinderella performance.
If OU wins a game with Alabama to win it all, it will surpass any other win in OU history by far.

I am torn. A part of me wants OU to get in no matter the end results while the other part of me fears our D will lose is the game. Lets be honest if not for Baker and the high octane attack on offense our Sooners may have already had 3 losses and maybe 4.

In the end though making the playoffs is what the teams goal is and I doubt any of them are wanting anything less win or lose.

As long as OU has Mayfield behind center they always have a chance

I am torn. A part of me wants OU to get in no matter the end results while the other part of me fears our D will lose is the game. Lets be honest if not for Baker and the high octane attack on offense our Sooners may have already had 3 losses and maybe 4.

In the end though making the playoffs is what the teams goal is and I doubt any of them are wanting anything less win or lose.

As long as OU has Mayfield behind center they always have a chance

This is my position, as well, and the point I was trying to make. I'm not AFRAID of LOSING...We run that risk, weekly, but I dislike the idea of being EXPOSED for tolerating such a weak link in such a once strong/proud program. We are an object of ridicule, and jokes, right now, and we haven't really played a HUGE Game, other than tosu, early on. At that time, defeating them was a Big Deal, but as the season progresses, IMO, we've gotten worse...Not better...

I'm not much concerned on 'What will people think'?, except in this case, that's what I think, too...Our D is laughable...When you don't HAVE it, Don't FLAUNT It...:rolleyes:

You don't know unless you try and if you don't even want OU in the playoffs, they can't try. No one gave OU a chance against Alabama or Florida State when we won those games.

This is my position, as well, and the point I was trying to make. I'm not AFRAID of LOSING...We run that risk, weekly, but I dislike the idea of being EXPOSED for tolerating such a weak link in such a once strong/proud program. We are an object of ridicule, and jokes, right now, and we haven't really played a HUGE Game, other than tosu, early on. At that time, defeating them was a Big Deal, but as the season progresses, IMO, we've gotten worse...Not better...

I'm not much concerned on 'What will people think'?, except in this case, that's what I think, too...Our D is laughable...When you don't HAVE it, Don't FLAUNT It...:rolleyes:

Totally agree

In the three wins over Alabama, two came against two of Bama’s lesser teams and the Trevor Knight miracle game which, in my opinion, came against an Alabama team still reeling from its “kick-six” loss to Auburn. That Alabama team played as if they didn’t want a Sugar Bowl berth and thought OU would be a pushover. And who could have figured on Knight’s Cinderella performance.
If OU wins a game with Alabama to win it all, it will surpass any other win in OU history by far.

In my opinion, this is not one of Saban’s better teams. They are beatable. They may win another natty this year, but that’s because there isn’t a team that’s leaps and bounds better than everyone else. I’d like to play them and/or Notre Dame if we make the playoffs. Both would be preferable since that would mean we would beat at least one of the two. :cool:

Reactions: iasooner1
In my opinion, this is not one of Saban’s better teams. They are beatable. They may win another natty this year, but that’s because there isn’t a team that’s leaps and bounds better than everyone else. I’d like to play them and/or Notre Dame if we make the playoffs. Both would be preferable since that would mean we would beat at least one of the two. :cool:

OU owes ND some butt kickings! That would be cool though to play either one

I said it yesterday in the game thread, our defense will take a hit from the CFP Committee because of how bad it is. The talking heads are already saying it tonight, that our defense may keep us out. They are also saying that TCU is the only team in the league that plays defense.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I said it yesterday in the game thread, our defense will take a hit from the CFP Committee because of how bad it is. The talking heads are already saying it tonight, that our defense may keep us out. They are also saying that TCU is the only team in the league that plays defense.

I guess Iowa State missed that memo. They have been playing pretty good D themselves. The talking heads at ESPN also was promoting JT Barrett as the H winner just a week ago. Gotta love the media and their agendas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT