ADVERTISEMENT

Former Cowboy linebacker selected to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
Surprise answer. Not talking about Damarcus.

Of all the news on an otherwise really bad day for me, seeing Chuck Howley's name on the next list of inductees was a huge highlight. My dad and I loved Chuck Howley. He wasn't classically athletic in the typical sense. Not really fast. Not particularly big or strong. He was just a very smart playmaker, with underrated athleticism. He was MVP of Super Bowl V. I believe that made him the first answer to two trivia questions.

Who was the first defensive player to win the Super Bowl MVP. But the other is a much more restricted answer. He joined Bobby Richardson and Jerry West as the major sport championship player to be named championship MVP as a player for the losing team. He was a great pro football player, along the lines of Dave Wilcox and Jack Hamm, who were great players because of how smart he was at OLB. And he was one of those linebackers who when given a chance at an interception, a high percentage of the time, he caught the damn ball. I think he had two picks in SB V. The Cowboys lost on a last second field goal, after dominating the game. Two weird plays, both went against Dallas, both making a touchdown difference.

And by the way, I say that as a Colt fan in those days. So it's not sour grapes. It's just the way it was. Chuck was a baller and his induction is long overdue. I'm just glad it came while he was still alive.

Bad news of the day. I tested positive for COVID. Probably got it at the memorial service of the former Plano head coach, whom I idolized, John Clark, Monday.

Gymnastics and swimming.

I am sad to report that at 89, he's dealing with pretty substantial dementia. He seemed to track Roger Staubach a little, when Roger arrived to inform him of his honor. But he's kind of been robbed of the honor because it took so long. At least his kids will enjoy it.

Better late than never I suppose. Biggest hall snub of all-time time is Nobis. A game changer as much as Butkus was Imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT