ADVERTISEMENT

OU defense devastated by injuries!

OU's 2017 class looks like the classes OSU was built on. Bob is building the talent back up. So with little talent he has won the Big 12 and made the CFP and is in first place this year despite injuries and new starters. This team could end up 11-2.

I doubt you will find many other Sooners here anxious to take our 11-2 squad on the road to face a 11-2 squad from another conference in a bowl game, be it from the SEC, or Clemson or anyone else for that matter. The fans have no confidence in this team against a legit team, that sucks from a fans point of view but by Gosh we can win that Big 12 every year!!

Reactions: Bigleak
If worse came to worse and OU was able to field only 9 players on defense, you'd hear the same response.

"That's no excuse!"

I understand what some of you guys are saying about injuries...

And, that wasn't a great spot for our defensive unit (road game, night game, rebound game for TT).

Also, the fact that Venerables got run off, but has since miraculously developed into a good coordinator, makes me hesitate before I condemn Stoops...

However... the most yardage in the history of college football? In history? Really?

And it's not like we were firing walkons out there either...

I guess we give Mike Stoops a chance to get his team healthy, and, reap the benefit of the big time recruiting class we having coming next year...

But at some point, you have to acknowledge that the status quo wont do. And that point is now in view for Bob Stoops and company. We may not have reached it yet. But it's approaching.

Wow Mike was the top DC in the Big 12 last year leading in every defensive category. Its the players.... our studs are gone and any one else with any experience is injured. We have 2 veterans and a half a dozen high school kids. All it takes is a smart QB with a spread offense to cut them up like butter. Even top teams have a down year every now and then. We arent having a down year just half the team is.... There is no one that can be hired to turn this around mid season. Nope nada no way. And there are no Def coordinators that are expert at defending the spread...that's what its designed for and we face it every week.

Its our players, its the league, its our competition and their offensive style. Mike is just the scapegoat. I would love for one person that can genuinely offer a solution right now, mid season to turn it around. C'mon you armchair QBs show your stuff.....

Its our players, its the league, its our competition and their offensive style. Mike is just the scapegoat. I would love for one person that can genuinely offer a solution right now, mid season to turn it around. C'mon you armchair QBs show your stuff....

Dakota Austin is a senior DB. Played in 11 games last year, got beat against Houston and has seen the field seldomly since. His replacement hasn't done any better. Neither has the replacement for the replacement. Steven Parker is a junior DB who has started in every game this year and last. Jordan Thomas is a junior DB who has played in every game this season. He played in 12 last season, starting 11 of those. Ahmad Thomas is a senior DB. He started in every game this year, last year, and the year before. OU lists 21 DB's on it's roster. 5 are true freshmen. 2 of those have played. Of the four starting this season in the opening game, they had 60 starts and 110 games played in amongst them. All were rated three stars or better by recruiting sites. If they were good enough last year, why aren't they better this year?

To be continued.........

Dakota Austin is a senior DB. Played in 11 games last year, got beat against Houston and has seen the field seldomly since. His replacement hasn't done any better. Neither has the replacement for the replacement. Steven Parker is a junior DB who has started in every game this year and last. Jordan Thomas is a junior DB who has played in every game this season. He played in 12 last season, starting 11 of those. Ahmad Thomas is a senior DB. He started in every game this year, last year, and the year before. OU lists 21 DB's on it's roster. 5 are true freshmen. 2 of those have played. Of the four starting this season in the opening game, they had 60 starts and 110 games played in amongst them. All were rated three stars or better by recruiting sites. If they were good enough last year, why aren't they better this year?

To be continued.........
Boom goes the dynamite!!!!

Wow Mike was the top DC in the Big 12 last year leading in every defensive category. Its the players.... our studs are gone and any one else with any experience is injured. We have 2 veterans and a half a dozen high school kids. All it takes is a smart QB with a spread offense to cut them up like butter. Even top teams have a down year every now and then. We arent having a down year just half the team is.... There is no one that can be hired to turn this around mid season. Nope nada no way. And there are no Def coordinators that are expert at defending the spread...that's what its designed for and we face it every week.

Its our players, its the league, its our competition and their offensive style. Mike is just the scapegoat. I would love for one person that can genuinely offer a solution right now, mid season to turn it around. C'mon you armchair QBs show your stuff.....

Yes we have injuries but that doesn't matter we are OU, period.

Last year we faced TCU, Baylor and OSU with their Backup QB's and more then one with the starting RB or #1 WR out.
Last Year another record was broke Against that ALL BiGXII #1 Defense. Tulsa gained more yards then any team in the history of OU Footabll in Norman. Tulsa has the record for gods sake. That's the defense you are claiming to be the best. Sorry Pal but I'm setting the Bar a lot higher.

Firing Mike most likely will not help today but it might give the guys a feeling of new. So I'm not sure what the right call, except he has to go, he SUCKS, always has and always will.

The REAL problem with the Stoop Brothers is loyalty. They reward players for seniority, and good team habits, over time. Jordan Evans and Jarvis Baxter suck, period. Dimon, Austin and Johnson do not have the tools. If anyone thinks for one second Quick or Austin are better equipped player over Cobb, doesn't know football, Austin was rewarded the job, he didn't earn it for being better then Cobb. Quick got the 2nd string participation trophy. We have far superior athletes in Kaleb, Overton, Jones, Bolton and Gallimore. These guys are starting to see action due to injuries but they are still riding the pine when a "loyal" sooner player is available. Give the best players/athletes first string reps, period.

So you want a fix. Put the BEST Player at their position in the game. Do not give out anymore participation trophies. Make arrangements to get rid of Mike, he sucks. I didn't want him in 99, we already had the best Defensive Coordinator in College Football, Ryan.

The Best RB to Play College Football, in the last 20 years, had to watch far inferior athletes start ahead of him, his freshman year and Bob would not name him a starter, Adrian Petterson. Sure he got a lot of playing time but don't you think for one second, Hickson and Jones didn't get a Participation Trophy Start?

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Will Johnson is a JUCO transfer 4 star recruit, rated as the number 2 to 7 best CB in the nation depending on the site... Playing in only 4 games this season so far, he is 6th in tackles for the Sooners... 10 of those were against the tortilla throwers. He is third in passes defended/broken up behind Jordan Thomas and Charles Walker. WTF is Walker doing second on the team in passes broken up? He's only played in 4 frickin games and he plays on the DL. Back to Johnson, 10 tackles is great, yet no passes defended and the tittie fockers ran 109 plays...

Cobb is a true freshman, 4 star recruit... Mbanasor is a sophomore consensus 4 star recruit... Stephens is a RS freshman 3 star recruit rated as the 30th best CB out of high school... Stanvon Taylor is a senior 4 star recruit. He's played in two games and has 1 tackle this year. That gives him 16 tackles in 33 total games for the former #8 athlete and #1 or 2 player out of Oklahoma... Houghton is a sophomore 4 star recruit who has 10 total tackles this year. Is that on special teams? Probably so...

So, WTF???? DB city in a defense coached by a DB, and the HC was a DB too. But OUr guys need to execute? Okay. Lets start with a new idea. I'll call it.... WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE TO FOLLOW...

IN YOUR ****ING FACE DEFENSE.

Line up on your man. Knock the crap out of him. Throw the timing of the routes off. Quit giving a 7-12 yard cushion on the outside. Any receiver from the slot out has a man in his face, getting hit. Every play. Rotate DB's when teams substitute their receivers.

There. That covers the secondary...

OU has 17 DL/DE listed. 3 are true freshmen. Of the other 14, two have no bios, the remaining 12 are all 3/4 star recruits... 9 were rated 4 stars by two or more sites. These are supposed to be studs. 21 rushes for 120 yards. One was a knee at the end of the half for minus 1. There were only two tackles for loss. ONE SACK ALL NIGHT!!!

Woohoo.... Drop back over 90 times and OUr badass defense got one sack. Depleted by injuries??? WTF are all the other teams doing? Ohio State replaced how many players and dominated OUr lines? 4 star guys here can't do it, but it is execution? Maybe. Why can't 4 star recruits execute? Are the West Virginia defensive lineman better? Who are they, that sacked TT QB's 4 times and had 8 tackles for loss? They ranked at 49 for 2011 recruiting class, 50 for 2012, 27 for 2013, and at 40 for 2014. They have ZERO five star recruits. From 2011 to 2016 they have less 4 star recruits (14) than OU shows for the defense, and most of WVU's are offensive players. 29 of their recruits are 2 star guys.

Yep, that talent level and injuries bullcrap goes only so far, then it comes down to players making plays. Part of making plays is being in a system/position to do so. When guys in the booth, halftime analysts, etc. are talking about how confused the defensive players look repeatedly, it isn't because they are reading my freaking posts! It is pretty obvious. Commentators have said repeatedly that those cushions on the outside just welcome the air raid offenses to attack. Busted coverage here or there, got beat again over here, now this guy can't cover anyone... One is in position and can't tackle... There is no excuse for a field full of mostly 4 star recruits, especially the secondary, to give up 734 yards to a bunch of 2/3 star guys...

This defense sucks because of the way it is coached and taught. There is no excuse...

Oh, and then there is this...

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...ases-depth-chart-ahead-week-one-clash-houston

Where is all the experience? On defense. The OL has a bunch of sophomore or freshmen in the 2 deep, while the front seven for the defense has.......

Jr, Jr, Sr, Jr, Sr, Sr, Jr, RSFr, So, So, (3rd string Jr now starting), Jr, and Jr...

If they can't perform, why is that? 18 of these same players were on the 2 deep for last year...

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-finally-releases-a-depth-chart

So what does that tell us????

I will gladly try to fix the defense for less than 1/10th of Mike's salary and a two bedroom apartment. I have no issue with working 12-16 hour days, 20 on occasion. I can guarantee I won't give up 734 yards passing. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly stand against a wall while you fire away...

Reactions: Bigleak
I will gladly try to fix the defense for less than 1/10th of Mike's salary and a two bedroom apartment. I have no issue with working 12-16 hour days, 20 on occasion. I can guarantee I won't give up 734 yards passing. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly stand against a wall while you fire away...

No way, man. You couldn't possibly have any time to post. No way! Forget it.

No way, man. You couldn't possibly have any time to post. No way! Forget it.

Okay. I will find an established bona fide defensive coordinator for OU for less than what Mike is paid, and I get to keep whatever is left over, if after one season they are better than any of Mike's last three defenses... That better?

Did you see that there is a online "social media" thing circulating to petition Joe and Bog to fire Mike? sorry, I didn't copy the link....Its on YAHOO....

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Did you see that there is a online "social media" thing circulating to petition Joe and Bog to fire Mike? sorry, I didn't copy the link....Its on YAHOO....

Bob's already defending the defense and Mike... we will see at the end of the season if he feels the same way... if so...

Reactions: BillyRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT