ADVERTISEMENT

OU defense devastated by injuries!

dtrain87

Walk-on candidate
Oct 5, 2016
You have to have depth to stop spread offense and OU is just overwhelmed with injuries at LB and DL and forced retirements to a starter. This game looked like UT vs Tech last year, when UT was injured. OU fans should be glad for the win and know that the DL is depleted.

You have to have depth to stop spread offense and OU is just overwhelmed with injuries at LB and DL and forced retirements to a starter. This game looked like UT vs Tech last year, when UT was injured. OU fans should be glad for the win and know that the DL is depleted.

I'm not happy at all with giving up 42 first downs when nearly 16 of them came on third downs of more than 7 yards!

I'd like to know which defensive back, linebacker, or DL that is injured that would have made that big a difference last night. OU would have had to recruit players from the last four years to cover up what I saw. Mike is awful and so is Cook.

A good coach could stop them with our players. West Virginia didn't have any problems. Just face the music dude.

I'm not normally a knee jerk guy. I was taught to play through the pain but OU has a new record. We have the worst pass defense in the History of the NCAA. We go down in the history books, for all to see, as giving up the most passing yards in a game. That's not what a Blue Blood Power House team should ever be associated with.

They threw the ball 88 times, so it's not like they should have caught us off guard. They converted 16 times on 3rd and long. There are hundreds of teams that have gone all season and never won a game, that didn't give up these yards.

You talk about injuries but how many DT did we sign last year? How many in what looks like the best defensive recruiting class, "2017" have we signed. The answer is ZERO.

We have 16 guys on scholarship at LB. These guys, he ask to come play for one of the All Time Great Programs and Mike Stoops gave them a scholly.

There is no excuse that is acceptable for having a 100 year old record broke against an OU Defense. Bob Stoops called timeouts on 3rd and long and his input didn't help.

A few years ago, Vanderbilt didn't get a 1st down the entire game and didn't give up 750 total yards. That was against UGA with a 1st round draft pick QB, RB and WR. Do you think for one second Vanderbilt had better players then OU?

I'd like to know which defensive back, linebacker, or DL that is injured that would have made that big a difference last night. OU would have had to recruit players from the last four years to cover up what I saw. Mike is awful and so is Cook.
Walker, Dimon, Romar, #9 Evans retired... Injuries and no depth!!!

OP GTFO. We couldn't stop Houston or tOSU and didn't have any injuries then. So tired of the defensive apologists. Our D is ****ing terrible. End of story.
Houston scored 33 points and that included a ST score.

Sorry are you trying to help prove my point? Yes outside of KSU and the high school team we played week 2, 33 points is Mike's best performance of the season. We are 100th in the country in scoring D.

You do know that Kansas only has 60 something players on scholorship?? There is not one player on Kansas Dline that we showed any interest in. We are OU, we are a Blue Blood, our walkons are suppose to be better then a lot of teams starters. Blue Bloods do not give up 750 yards passing. OU is the TOP of the mountain in College Football, kids dream of playing for OU their entire life. But Kansas can put up a better defensive performance then OU???? They have won ONE game in the last 3 years, one!

Sorry there is no excuse for what happen yesterday, except Mike Stoops had no answer.

Seriously! All of them together wouldn't have changed the defensive results except Tech would have not thrown as many long balls. The QB would have simply thrown short, quick passes and the TT receivers would have run through the flying arm tackles of our DBs. OU can't cover. OU has poor technique. OU can't tackle. And these aren't just my thoughts. It's what Mike Stoops said last night after the game. So there we have it. Mike admits he and Cook suck as coaches. Now Bob, do something about it! Fat chance.

Last edited:
OU's 2017 class looks like the classes OSU was built on. Bob is building the talent back up. So with little talent he has won the Big 12 and made the CFP and is in first place this year despite injuries and new starters. This team could end up 11-2.

Building the talent back? Are you dense? Talent isn't the issue. If the talent isn't playing it's called development and that's on the coaches.

S Parker - 4 stars
A Thomas - 4 stars
J Parker - 4 stars
N Gallimore - 4 stars
DJ Ward - 4 stars
C Kelly - 5 stars
K Haughton - 4 stars
M Overton - 4 stars
W Sunderland - 4 stars
Pj Mabansor - 4 stars
P Cobb - 4 stars

Building the talent back? Are you dense? Talent isn't the issue. If the talent isn't playing it's called development and that's on the coaches.

S Parker - 4 stars
A Thomas - 4 stars
J Parker - 4 stars
N Gallimore - 4 stars
DJ Ward - 4 stars
C Kelly - 5 stars
K Haughton - 4 stars
M Overton - 4 stars
W Sunderland - 4 stars
Pj Mabansor - 4 stars
P Cobb - 4 stars
NOT a one of those player is in the DL and was playing yesterday!!!

You are dense, no ignorant. Gallimore and Ward are both DL and Gallimore started and Ward played quite a bit. Let the grown ups handle the big discussions from here on out.

Serious Sooner defensive issues were evident from the first game against Houston. Sorry, injuries are not the main cause. Mike Stoops is!

BTW Baker wasnt taunting the Tech player out of bounds he was screaming at him for trying to roll on his legs and trying to injure him out of bounds.

OU's 2017 class looks like the classes OSU was built on. Bob is building the talent back up. So with little talent he has won the Big 12 and made the CFP and is in first place this year despite injuries and new starters. This team could end up 11-2.

dtrain, you're not the only Sooner fan or Sooner Message Board poster that feels the way you do about Mike, but you evidently are the only poster willing to come on the board to take up for Mike's defensive coaching after such a god awful showing last night. I don't understand how you could possibly want Mike Stoops to stay our DC, but I give it up to you for your willingness to share your opinions without using the often used "you don't have clue" argument. Time will tell us if you're right or most of us on this thread are. So....Boomer Sooner!

I will give TT props for their offenive blitzkrieg last night. We couldn't make the tackles on Mahomes all night long. We knew they would pass 90% of the time. We saw this out of control defensive train wreck before....West Virginia a few years ago. So why does it happen? I saw many defensive players standing around hopelessly lost....shell shocked. It would seem to me that loosely defined coaching just threw up their hands and gave up....leaving the troops battle beaten. That was horrible...excuses are like used toilet paper these days Stoops.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
You have to have depth...blah-apology-blah .

So "next man up" is something only other programs do?

And the two teams we lost to are not top 5, so whomever is clinging on to that narrative can push 'flush' now.

SMU had a better game plan vs. Cougar High than we did? And how many SMU starters would crack our 3 deep? 1?

Ok let's look at last year.

OU gave up 600 yards to Tulsa, in Norman. Breaking a 100 year old record for the most yards by an opposing team in Norman. So the MIGHTY Blue Blood Tulsa has the record, on a Mike Stoops Defense. Some people claimed last year we had a good defense, it was decent but far from good.

No Excuses, Mike Stoops SUCKS

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
dtrain, you're not the only Sooner fan or Sooner Message Board poster that feels the way you do about Mike, but you evidently are the only poster willing to come on the board to take up for Mike's defensive coaching after such a god awful showing last night. I don't understand how you could possibly want Mike Stoops to stay our DC, but I give it up to you for your willingness to share your opinions without using the often used "you don't have clue" argument. Time will tell us if you're right or most of us on this thread are. So....Boomer Sooner!

I think it's pretty obvious that dtrain is a poster whom recently labeled Mike Stoops as a top 5 DC of all time on this board. That poster is now posting under a brand new username dtrain because I believe he got hit with a ban not long ago, hence the username that is only a few weeks old.

I think it's pretty obvious that dtrain is a poster whom recently labeled Mike Stoops as a top 5 DC of all time on this board. That poster is now posting under a brand new username dtrain because I believe he got hit with a ban not long ago, hence the username that is only a few weeks old.

Maybe. Or probably. But if we assume that he/she/it is, then we are acting like texASS fans on the OB board...

I am "clueless" regarding banned rules. I didn't know a banned poster could simply get a new username and come back. Hum I remember a poster making the claim that Mike was a top 5 DC, but don't recall what poster that was. Probably best. Thanks, Billy.

Our defense is pathetic right now. I for one do not understand why we can't get lined up correctly on defense. Not being able to line up correctly is on the coaches, the defensive coordinator and the position coaches. Defensive line needs to be able to get more pressure on the QB. Tackling is a huge issue for this team as well. Hard to bring somebody down to the ground with arm tackles. Drive through the ball carrier. I'm in favor of making changes on that side of the ball.

Reactions: Oklabama
Our defense is pathetic right now. I for one do not understand why we can't get lined up correctly on defense. Not being able to line up correctly is on the coaches, the defensive coordinator and the position coaches. Defensive line needs to be able to get more pressure on the QB. Tackling is a huge issue for this team as well. Hard to bring somebody down to the ground with arm tackles. Drive through the ball carrier. I'm in favor of making changes on that side of the ball.

So what you're saying is OU shouldn't fall into the all offense, weak (no) defense group of schools like Texas Tech. Nailed it.

Reactions: CTOkie
I am "clueless" regarding banned rules. I didn't know a banned poster could simply get a new username and come back. Hum I remember a poster making the claim that Mike was a top 5 DC, but don't recall what poster that was. Probably best. Thanks, Billy.

Some dfw sooner guy I thinks... LMAO

Why are you bashing dtrain? He said nothing outrageous. You need all the dline players available to rush the QB 88 times and he was a very good QB. They do get tired their human. That's logic fellow posters. Regardless of the defensive coordinator you need lineman to rotate. You guys are more embarrassing than that game. We get it changes need to be made. I don't get all the same repetive post of the coaches. Billy will run his same thoughts through here constantly. You have no business being rude to this dtrain character. You guys are the outlandish ones. Butt hurt because a team you follow embarrassed you. I didn't do anything to embarrass myself. All the message boards are the same as this one. What's to read corny post about Mike Stoops all season. Theres my daily. Back to whining fellas you're being constructive today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT