ADVERTISEMENT

ot: Yeah texsucks & all but are you getting into the History Channel's

new show, Texas Rising? It's must see tv for a history fanatic me... You?

I tried the first episode last night. I thought it was very drawn out the first 30 minutes just like 90% of serial presentations, just like the Hatfield and McCoy's before it. Maybe I should have stuck with it, but it's not like I can't pick it up on rerun someday..........

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I wanted to see it just to watch an inept Mexican Army kick the crap out of the "heroes" of the Alamo. Texas is almost as good as the British at turning defeat into "victory" (e.g., Dunkirk, charge of the light brigade). It's called propaganda.

I tried the first episode last night. I thought it was very drawn out the first 30 minutes just like 90% of serial presentations, just like the Hatfield and McCoy's before it. Maybe I should have stuck with it, but it's not like I can't pick it up on rerun someday..........
Nacogdoches is in the Piney Woods not mountains w bluffs. Just saying

I too love history, but don't give a flip about "that state." But, I'll probably watch it when it at some point or another since I do love the History Channel.

I wanted to see it just to watch an inept Mexican Army kick the crap out of the "heroes" of the Alamo. Texas is almost as good as the British at turning defeat into "victory" (e.g., Dunkirk, charge of the light brigade). It's called propaganda.

Ok I'll play along; Deed whose agenda are we following here with "propaganda"? The texicans I assume or the Indians (native American's). I don't have a dog in this fight and know "History is written by the Victors"... Sometimes 'revisionist Historians' are mostly right in some thought too.

WhyNota I appreciate your pointing out the landmarks; sometimes these shows intentionally throw out those bones just so we can pick at them. I was wondering exactly where those mountainous areas were and how much of the state is like that kind of terrain?

Texicans, in most cases were former American citizens that settled in Mexico (what is known today as Texas) by virtue of pledging their citizenship to Mexico. Keep in mind that this area was vast in size and for hundreds of years was not and could not be populated due to a lack of security. Spain, and even the Mexican Government had issues in protecting of their own borders. They had other priorities and the land north of the Red River was not a high priority. But in an effort to 'settle' and populate the area, US citizens were given land if they pledged their citizenship to Mexico and become Catholics. Those that signed on for this were known as Texicans.

And while Dastardly is correct to some degree of being critical of the hype in the fall of the Alamo, the Battle of the Alamo was only one of many, many battles fought that eventually established the independence in forming a separate entity or country. I often find it funny as hell that due to the rival bases of football and/or sports between OU & UT, that some can't figure out how to seperate the two. After living in both states for many years, my observations tell me that some UT fans have penis envy of OU's success as much as some OU fans have the same issues with regards the history of Texas.

Gary, one would need to go pretty much west of the Pecos River to see the Davis Mountians, which are part of the Big Bend National Park. The terrain is so unlike Nacogdoches. It still surprises me to this day as I travel around the country, there are so many people that believe Texas is very rigorous, with bluffs and/or flat deserts with tumble weeds, and oil pumpers. I guess the only Texas they see is what is portrayed via TV and the Movies. As an example, I worked with a guy in the burbs of Chicago. He had no idea tha Texas had a 'timber' industry. I took a twenty dollar bill off that foolishness.

Last edited:
Reactions: hOUston...
WhyNota I appreciate your pointing out the landmarks; sometimes these shows intentionally throw out those bones just so we can pick at them. I was wondering exactly where those mountainous areas were and how much of the state is like that kind of terrain?

Gary, FYI... the series was the filmed in Durango, Mexico which is west of Monterey somewhat the west central part of Mexico.

I have no idee what y'all are talking about...it's not the first time.

However, in this bit did Judge Roy Bean get any honorable mention?
I've read a few things about him.
Saw that movie a long time ago. Just wondering.

Curiously, he was known as the hanging judge, not true really. (he couldn't get his tortured mind off of Lilly Langtry, the dog)
He only condemned two fellows to hang, one of them escaped before they could do the deed.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Thanks for the information K; I have some advanced knowledge of South American history but have not studied Mexico or Texas much. The lack of response from Deeds smacks of someone else we know, a stained Austinite if I'm not mistaken. If I am, apologies rendered. A Man doesn't make an offensive remark and fail to support it.
I have flown into San Antone once for business but had time to take in the river walk and Alamo. I've driven the Dallas to Lubbock route and seen desert and tumbleweeds but that's about it.

Another shout out to History on the small screen; FOX's Legend & Lies is gaining popularity also. One good thing commercial tv has over the Silver Screen in my opinion is in the good or great series from way back, yes they can become mundane to some but to me I value the building of characters and 'back stories' that are lifelike. You couldn't do justice to a story like Breaking Bad in two hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT