ADVERTISEMENT

OT...Windows Ten

Soonersincefitty

Sooner starter
Oct 16, 2004
Gun Barrel, Texas...via Claremore, earth
Any one of you guys getting the free upgrade offer for Windows 10?
I think I'm going to take them up on it, I mean really, getting something gratis from Bill Gates? Unprecedented!

At any rate, I'll await any reviews you may want to give me.
FWIW I have a techy nerd friend that has it and he says it's better than 7, which is saying a lot.

Thanks for indulging me BTW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
You may want to wait. I can give several reasons, but the primary reason is forced updates with no user control. Updates are sometimes the cause of system crashes and the inability to boot. If that happens, your free upgrade is no-more and you'll pay the full price for Windows 10 on your new installation. There is a third-party solution to shutting off updates, but when you do, Microsoft shuts YOU off from any future updates and upgrades. There is also talk of some features costing the user pay-as-you-go in the future. I don't know if this is still the case, but Windows Media Player is no more. Windows games too.

I am going to wait until the October Windows 10.1 release. But If those things mentioned don't bother you, go ahead and upgrade today.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
It looks more like windows 7 and I have upgraded 5 computers so far and not a single issue. 3 laptops and 2 high end gaming computers, so go for it :)

If a Mac would run my security system of eight IP cameras, could run Solidworks 3D engineering software, could communicate with my CNC machines, could program PLCs', I'd be sold on a Mac. But until then....

Reactions: Sooners83
I just bought a new laptop (couple of months ago) that came with Windows 8. My understanding was that the 10 upgrade was free if you had 8 because 8 was so bad.
I'm no techie, but our IT manager at work said if you have 8, you will want 10. But if you run 7, you will likely want to stick with 7 over 8 or 10.
Our office computers are sticking with 7 for now.
There are some weird things in 8, that a non-techie like me has trouble re-learning. I understand 10 changes a lot of things back to my comfort zone.
I will probably just stick with 8 until I get more information on a newer version.
Maybe the Oct version of 10.1.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
I am going to do it. It will be nice to have the start menu back .I am using an add-on to get the start men back on 8.1.

Reactions: humblesooner
What the hell is wrong with these IT fools at Microsoft?

Why the hell don't they include all the good features of all the OSs they've done, and omit all the bad features they've done?
Why is that so difficult?
One would think that there is a profit to be made in making it almost perfect, but not quite...

I know, glaringly obvious...I get it.:D

I went ahead and upgraded two laptops. It was quite seamless. My earlier concern about possible system crashes has been addressed by Microsoft through (finally! finally! finally!) access to system image creation and creation of a Windows repair CD through the user interface. It is kind of hidden. But important enough for me to show you how to get to it here. I think one of the first things to do after upgrading is to do this.

Start Menu > Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options > See Advanced Settings > System Image Backup

This will get you to the page where you can create a system image and a repair disk.

Of course there are other annoying things you'll need to search and adjust to your liking. I turned off all the eavesdropping permissions in.
Start Menu > Settings > Privacy

The new browser is kind of ho-hum, but not unlike Google Chrome. You can import your favorites easily. And you have to go into settings and turn on the "home button". What's is that all about? It's OK though. You'll still have your other browser(s) available as they were before the upgrade.

Also, Windows Media Player is still there from your previous version of Windows. Not sure if they'll still be supporting it in the future.

The Start Menu is very nice. Get to know the features of it rather than just using it "out of the box". It can be highly customized to your liking. And the much appreciated Start Menu right-click stuff is still there. Watch the video that is installed with the upgrade.

All in all, after one hour of looking around, it is a very nice upgrade.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I went ahead and upgraded two laptops. It was quite seamless. My earlier concern about possible system crashes has been addressed by Microsoft through (finally! finally! finally!) access to system image creation and creation of a Windows repair CD through the user interface. It is kind of hidden. But important enough for me to show you how to get to it here. I think one of the first things to do after upgrading is to do this.

Start Menu > Settings > Update & Security > Backup > More Options > See Advanced Settings > System Image Backup

This will get you to the page where you can create a system image and a repair disk.

Of course there are other annoying things you'll need to search and adjust to your liking. I turned off all the eavesdropping permissions in.
Start Menu > Settings > Privacy

The new browser is kind of ho-hum, but not unlike Google Chrome. You can import your favorites easily. And you have to go into settings and turn on the "home button". What's is that all about? It's OK though. You'll still have your other browser(s) available as they were before the upgrade.

Also, Windows Media Player is still there from your previous version of Windows. Not sure if they'll still be supporting it in the future.

The Start Menu is very nice. Get to know the features of it rather than just using it "out of the box". It can be highly customized to your liking. And the much appreciated Start Menu right-click stuff is still there. Watch the video that is installed with the upgrade.

All in all, after one hour of looking around, it is a very nice upgrade.

Dag nab it 22, I wish you would make up my mind. :)
I guess I'll cautiously do it.
Biff Gates has already downloaded the entire program to my 'puter, just have to pull the trigger and allow it to hard drive?
I'm clearly out of my depth on this sheot.

You may want to wait. I can give several reasons, but the primary reason is forced updates with no user control. Updates are sometimes the cause of system crashes and the inability to boot. If that happens, your free upgrade is no-more and you'll pay the full price for Windows 10 on your new installation. There is a third-party solution to shutting off updates, but when you do, Microsoft shuts YOU off from any future updates and upgrades. There is also talk of some features costing the user pay-as-you-go in the future. I don't know if this is still the case, but Windows Media Player is no more. Windows games too.

I am going to wait until the October Windows 10.1 release. But If those things mentioned don't bother you, go ahead and upgrade today.

I've upgraded our 4 laptops, 1 surface, two PCs, and two friend's laptops, without any problems. Microsoft may have removed the games, but who cares? You can download better games from the app store. I worked in I.T. for 10 years, and I'm not afraid to jump in and try something right away. I think Windows 10 is way better than Windows 8, and just slightly better than Windows 7.

Windows 7 is still there in case you want to roll back to Windows 7. But after you are happy with 10, you can clean the old windows files off your HD. Don't delete the "windows.old" directory. Instead, run a utility like the excellent and free PrivaZer. I think there may be a cleaning utility already in Windows. Good luck.

Windows 7 is still there in case you want to roll back to Windows 7. But after you are happy with 10, you can clean the old windows files off your HD. Don't delete the "windows.old" directory. Instead, run a utility like the excellent and free PrivaZer. I think there may be a cleaning utility already in Windows. Good luck.

Yep, thanks.
I don't know if it's me or I believe the new 'windows' opens up a little quicker with Ten.

It's what we call...crisp!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT