ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LeBraun

stuck in del rio

Sooner commitment
Jan 14, 2013
Every time I'm on ESPN or any other sports website and see another article about LeBraun, I realize how much I am looking forward to the start of football.

I was actually in Cleveland the day he announced he was 'taking his talents to South Beach' - they were burning him in effigy in the streets. Now they treat him as the savior of the city...and of course, ESPN and others are there to document every step of the way and opine about it ad nauseam....

There are things to like about LeBron James. He has consistently played for the national team in the Olympics and other world basketball competitions. And when he plays there, he takes his defense seriously and is often the best US player.

He is a unique NBA player. A whole lot of guys at the top of their sports have managed the rules to maximize their opportunities to play for a winner. John Elway did it. Archie Manning did it for Eli. Jim Kelly did it. It would have been easier for me to stomach LeBron's move to Florida had it not been to join up with Dwayne Wade, whom I considered to be the unfair receiver of preference by NBA officials before he'd earned such a designation. In the first NBA finals when he faced the Mavs, breathing on him was considered a foul, even when he was shooting jump shots.

But since LeBron moved to Florida, I've pulled against him and I doubt that will ever change. His glib flopping and winking at NBA cameras in the aftermath made that almost an eternal certainty for me.

I have a customer who moved to Plano from Cleveland a dozen years ago, and his son was a major LJames fan. When LeBron went to Miami, his son literally had a bonfire and burned every piece of LJames paraphrenalia. And he owned more than a little. I think he was maybe 12 or 13 at the time and was devastated. I haven't talked to his son since LeBron returned to Ohio.

For him, I suspect it's a little like when your first love leaves you for another boyfriend, and then after that ends, is back wanting to snuggle up with you. You give your affection more cautiously the second time.

I just want to see the Cavs' games called fairly and then let it fall where it falls. The NBA is notorious for stars getting too many breaks from game officials. It's their corporate policy. If I were a Bulls fan, I'd be very wary of the guys in great shirts and long pants over the next three games.

Don't misunderstand - I don't mind Lebron per se (I did find the ESPN special where he announced to be over the top) - what I was complaining about is how ESPN slants their coverage towards him (I had just seen an article titled 'Lebron won't admit to teammates he's hurting' and yes, I should be used to it by now. The other thing I can't stand is how the entire city hated him with a passion three years ago and now he's the king again...that drives me up a wall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT