ADVERTISEMENT

Open Letter to Brent

^^100% this!!!

The defense is what's it's always been. Difference this year is it's without guys like Isaiah Thomas, Nik Bonitto, and Winfrey. Those were the stars that are gone. Brent's left with a bunch of guys that aren't his guys. There are literally NO difference makers on defense. Only difference between this year and previous years, is the offense isn't scoring 50+ points a game to bail out the defense. Which is another point, OU has a bare cupboard in regards to QB. DG is a decent player, but not near the caliber OU fans are use to. But how many easy throws have we seen him miss that could have led to points on the board, and instead led to punting the ball and putting the defense back on the field. And when DG got hurt, OU has nothing. One of yesterdays better drives were when OU wasn't even snapping the ball to the QB. OU is having to make due with what they could scrape together from the portal after CW and Rattler left.

A guy on the pay board posted this, and really puts things into perspective into the talent on the roster and just how big a rebuild project this is for Brent,

Did some quick research into our bare cupboard:

2018 class: 5 players of 23 still at OU. Bret Walker is one of the 5.

2019 class (should be senior class): we have 10 guys still at OU out of 24 signed. Marcus Hicks, Kori Roberson included.

2020 class (should be junior class): we have 14 guys still at OU out of 23 signed. Bryson Washington, Kendall Dennis, Tre West (JAGs).

2021 class (should be sophomore class): we have 10 guys still at OU out of 16 signed. (Who signs 16 effing players in a class, TBOW?!?)

So, we have a total of 34 scholarship players here from TBOW’s last 3 years. 39 total from his recruiting classes. And many of them are not difference makers. That’s…how you get the results we are getting.
This ^^^^ is the reality of OU's situation now. And it's what I mentioned earlier.
Too early in my opinion to start throwing coaches and players overboard. The "cupboard" is bare at QB and is very low on elite talent or talent that either hasn't reached its potential or never will.
I believe that this football program is at a crossroads as far as returning to "blue blood" status and there is so much that must be done to do this, starting with a roster overhaul. This is actually happening now when we see a good 2022 class and the impressive 2023 commitment list, which hopefully will stay intact.
I'm as concerned now as I was when Switzer left and as the three years' probation came into play. That took a decade to recover from as OU's image was tarnished and recruits were being swayed elsewhere. I was anticipating OU being an "also-ran" program for the rest of my life. But Stoops conducted an incredible rescue in 1999, declaring that the team had talent to "win now". (Something Venables doesn't have right now).
Time will tell how long and how deep this meltdown will last but Venables' resume has me hopeful. He's served under Snyder, Stoops and Sweeney which speaks well of his coaching career.

This was how it was back in the Blake day's of OU football. That's the bad news. The good news is, the ship will be righted and we'll be back for our next nc! The events that ultimately led to this won't be overcome this year or next. Just being patient...aka "the Blake day's"
Blakes teams would beat this teams brains out.

Quit trashing BV and the Staff and give them some time. They are literally using the leftovers from the LR regime that did not transfer along with using incoming transfers that if we are honest, are not typical OU players. Our QB situation is currently a mess (that will be fixed next year with Jackson Arnold coming in) as we are using a backup QB that transferred in from Pitt. Our defensive players are not BV recruits, except for the True Freshman that are playing. He needs a few years to recruit players that fit his schemes and system. I mean do you honestly think that if we still had Caleb Williams and Mario Williams on offense that it would be in such shambles. You guys can't see the forest for the trees at the moment. The program will get back to where it belongs. Have patience and stop with the knee jerk reactions.

Quit trashing BV and the Staff and give them some time. They are literally using the leftovers from the LR regime that did not transfer along with using incoming transfers that if we are honest, are not typical OU players. Our QB situation is currently a mess (that will be fixed next year with Jackson Arnold coming in) as we are using a backup QB that transferred in from Pitt. Our defensive players are not BV recruits, except for the True Freshman that are playing. He needs a few years to recruit players that fit his schemes and system. I mean do you honestly think that if we still had Caleb Williams and Mario Williams on offense that it would be in such shambles. You guys can't see the forest for the trees at the moment. The program will get back to where it belongs. Have patience and stop with the knee jerk reactions.

You literally posted the same message on another thread. Pretty impressive. How did you do that? Write it down on paper first. BTW, it’s a good message. Both of them. Keep posting.

Well stated, Deweygolfer.
Not one transfer this year has shown to be anything other than average at best, and Gabriel was.... as Plaino pointed out, oversold.

I'm not buying it. Those guys that "were leftover" are guys who received a scholarship from a power 5 program, doesn't matter who recruited them. They were all high 3, 4 star recruits, BV and staff have had several months to get these guys to play better defense, started out great but have gotten worse each week. Guys are out of position, missing tackles the corners can't cover man-to-man without getting a PI. These are all things that we(I) thought BV would fix. BV needs to realize what he does have and coach to what you have, if my memory serves me correctly one of the main complaints of BV at OU all those years ago was that his system was too complicated. BV is a great man and a great leader, one thing that made him a great leader was the fire in his belly on the sideline, players fed off of that. Now he just stands there, kinda like Riley. I'd like to see him more vocal and energetic on the sideline this might put a little pep in their step.

I'm not buying it. Those guys that "were leftover" are guys who received a scholarship from a power 5 program, doesn't matter who recruited them. They were all high 3, 4 star recruits, BV and staff have had several months to get these guys to play better defense, started out great but have gotten worse each week. Guys are out of position, missing tackles the corners can't cover man-to-man without getting a PI. These are all things that we(I) thought BV would fix. BV needs to realize what he does have and coach to what you have, if my memory serves me correctly one of the main complaints of BV at OU all those years ago was that his system was too complicated. BV is a great man and a great leader, one thing that made him a great leader was the fire in his belly on the sideline, players fed off of that. Now he just stands there, kinda like Riley. I'd like to see him more vocal and energetic on the sideline this might put a little pep in their step.
Changes are never smooth brother. Hang on.

Reactions: BillyRay
The defense didn't seem too complicated for Clemson when they were rolling out one of the Top Defenses in the Nation every year. Also, let's not pretend that OU was some juggernaut on Defense last year. The studs that they did have went to the NFL and were some bigtime losses. I agree that coaches need to realize what they have, but maybe they realize they really don't have much at this point to work with. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. BV will get players in the Stable who are willing to drink the water. I also agree about some fire in BV's belly, that is one aspect he definitely needs to bring back to his coaching style.

BV and his staff had great success at Clemson, there is no doubting that. One reason for that success could have been because they were in a 4 man-front most of the time. We to had great success when in the 4 man front, led the country in sacks and TFL, but then he decided to go to a 3 man front, for whatever reason its not working.

BV and his staff had great success at Clemson, there is no doubting that. One reason for that success could have been because they were in a 4 man-front most of the time. We to had great success when in the 4 man front, led the country in sacks and TFL, but then he decided to go to a 3 man front, for whatever reason its not working.

This is my beef right now. We aren't making adjustments and we went away from what was working. I can accept a loss. I have a hard time accepting this staff coaching a scared game, refusing to pull Beville and refusing the try to attack the QB. We are not 49 points worse than Texas. We aren't so devoid of talent that we get humiliated by TCU. We are coaching to play damage control and it's making things worse.

Lineup and let them play. If we get a coverage bust, move on. Give these kids a chance. Let Reggie Grimes and Downs get after the QB. Let Beville (or somebody else preferably) air it out. If you can't do that then play the younger guys. Just do something that shows you're trying.

I don't care who is left, who transferred, or who didn't pan out. We should NOT be getting beat 49 - 0 to a little better than average TX team. BV deserves some blame no doubt

While Texas had a 4-7 record a year ago, one thing to note is that every game, aside from a 30-7 loss in Ames to Iowa State, Texas had six very close defeats. So, it's not as bad as what may happen to OU this season as I see it, especially with such a poor defense and an offense which essentially is without a viable quarterback.
Having had three days to absorb OU's worse than ever loss to its main rival and watching a very shaken Venables at the post-game press conference, I sense that things will get worse before getting better.
Recruiting has been going well, and that has to be a step in the right direction.... if OU keeps its commitments.
And appears likely to me that Jackson Arnold will start as a freshman (if he stays committed) regardless of Gabriel's availability.
OU must somehow win at least three more games and show dramatic improvement along the way for me to feel differently than I do now.......... but I do not see that happening.

While Texas had a 4-7 record a year ago, one thing to note is that every game, aside from a 30-7 loss in Ames to Iowa State, Texas had six very close defeats. So, it's not as bad as what may happen to OU this season as I see it, especially with such a poor defense and an offense which essentially is without a viable quarterback.
Having had three days to absorb OU's worse than ever loss to its main rival and watching a very shaken Venables at the post-game press conference, I sense that things will get worse before getting better.
Recruiting has been going well, and that has to be a step in the right direction.... if OU keeps its commitments.
And appears likely to me that Jackson Arnold will start as a freshman (if he stays committed) regardless of Gabriel's availability.
OU must somehow win at least three more games and show dramatic improvement along the way for me to feel differently than I do now.......... but I do not see that happening.
CT I hope that the incoming recruits will see that playing time could start immediately with the way things are going right now. I am pretty sure Arnold is thinking “ I will be the starter next year”. How could he or any of the defensive recruits not think that at this point?

Reactions: iasooner2000
The defense didn't seem too complicated for Clemson when they were rolling out one of the Top Defenses in the Nation every year. Also, let's not pretend that OU was some juggernaut on Defense last year. The studs that they did have went to the NFL and were some bigtime losses. I agree that coaches need to realize what they have, but maybe they realize they really don't have much at this point to work with. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. BV will get players in the Stable who are willing to drink the water. I also agree about some fire in BV's belly, that is one aspect he definitely needs to bring back to his coaching style.
It took BV about 5 years to roll out nationally ranked Ds at Clemson. He started with very big and very strong D Linemen. Being in a system for 3 years and then starting the fourth year provides an advantage. Standing on the sidelines, felling pretty helpless as your team gets thumped 49-0 will take some fire out of your bell. Let's give BV some time. They are getting a taste of fan backlash. Let's see how they respond. Burning Evers redshirt should not be a problem with a guy like Jackson Arnold coming in next year. Baptism by fire for Nick. What about Micah Bowens? He was a highly rated dual threat QB out of LV when he went to Penn State.

Texas didn’t have Beavis Beville as a back up.
Texas didn’t lose 5 NFL starters on an already bad defense.
Texas didn’t have to replace a STARTING QB,RB, WR, TE and OL
Texas didn’t have 3 really bad recruiting classes that have ravaged the depth.
Context matters.

Sooners may rebound with a more solid game plan Sat. Going to take Gabriel getting back in after some hopefully good practices. Not sure if KU’s very good QB will be back. His shoulder got messed up by the TCU thug.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Sooners may rebound with a more solid game plan Sat. Going to take Gabriel getting back in after some hopefully good practices. Not sure if KU’s very good QB will be back. His shoulder got messed up by the TCU thug.
Ah, you probably need to look at the play again. It’s available on ESPN. The two TCU defensive backs made a clean tackle. Nothing thuggish about it whatsoever.

Rivalry game. Those games can go either way some years. And Texass was without their starting QB and it took overtime for Tech to win. Texass is anything but "a little better than average".
True about those type of games but…..in regard to Texas would have beaten Bama with a healthy Ewers we just don’t know considering Bama had like 15 penalties that day. Is the game even close if Bama doesnt have all those penalties? Bama played pretty poorly vs Texas.

I wanted Texas to beat Bama that day ( I curse myself for even rooting for the Horns ) but I wanted Bama to fall. I do agree Texas is much better than they have been and with Ewers at QB they may even be better than good. Even with saying that I think both OSU and KSU will beat them.

True about those type of games but…..in regard to Texas would have beaten Bama with a healthy Ewers we just don’t know considering Bama had like 15 penalties that day. Is the game even close if Bama doesnt have all those penalties? Bama played pretty poorly vs Texas.

I wanted Texas to beat Bama that day ( I curse myself for even rooting for the Horns ) but I wanted Bama to fall. I do agree Texas is much better than they have been and with Ewers at QB they may even be better than good. Even with saying that I think both OSU and KSU will beat them.
How do we know that Texass players were able to get inside the Bama players heads and get them frustrated to commit all those penalties? Cuz that's true that was VERY unlike a Saban coached team to be that undisciplined. But you can't deny that Texass' defense that day was solid. And it's still solid. Texass' offense was never the same after Ewers went out and it was a 1 pt win for Bama.

How do we know that Texass players were able to get inside the Bama players heads and get them frustrated to commit all those penalties? Cuz that's true that was VERY unlike a Saban coached team to be that undisciplined. But you can't deny that Texass' defense that day was solid. And it's still solid. Texass' offense was never the same after Ewers went out and it was a 1 pt win for Bama.
I wouldn’t argue that but even though I think Texas is better than they have been in some time, I still dont think they will beat either KSU or OSU. Until they actually beat one of the better teams I dont buy into the Texas will win the B12 this year.

I wouldn’t argue that but even though I think Texas is better than they have been in some time, I still dont think they will beat either KSU or OSU. Until they actually beat one of the better teams I dont buy into the Texas will win the B12 this year.
I believe the B12 championship will come down to horn and little brother.

Reactions: BillyRay
You could end up being correct. OSU is a pretty legit good team this year too.

It's a really uncomfortable thought of a VERY real possibility of losing to OSU again this year. When was the last time OU lost to OSU in consecutive years?

Texas didn’t have Beavis Beville as a back up.
Texas didn’t lose 5 NFL starters on an already bad defense.
Texas didn’t have to replace a STARTING QB,RB, WR, TE and OL
Texas didn’t have 3 really bad recruiting classes that have ravaged the depth.
Context matters.
That's my point.
Texas was not in as bad a shape in 2021 as OU is this year.
Reading comprehension matters, too.

Reactions: newnasty
You could end up being correct. OSU is a pretty legit good team this year too.

It's a really uncomfortable thought of a VERY real possibility of losing to OSU again this year. When was the last time OU lost to OSU in consecutive years?
2001 & 2002 I believe

Stoops may have a great work ethic and may even be a great person but a great receiver he is not.

He's OU good for 2022. Fact.
The level of WR talent on this team makes his talent above average. Another fact.
We aren't who we think we are and the SOONER we recognize this the SOONER we begin to correct it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT