ADVERTISEMENT

Open Letter to Brent

JConXtsy

Sooner starter
Aug 2, 2001
Nice try, dude.

As Sooners, we're always going to appreciate your contributions to the 2000 championship, but let's get real. That was the end.

What Oklahoma needs from you is capitulation. Bow down, admit you have no clue about head coaching. Be honest with yourself, and honest with us. Quit.

So many of us put so much time into this and don't get paid a dime. You make millions to look like a fool. The people that bleed for this team don't deserve this.

Just bow out.

This was how it was back in the Blake day's of OU football. That's the bad news. The good news is, the ship will be righted and we'll be back for our next nc! The events that ultimately led to this won't be overcome this year or next. Just being patient...aka "the Blake day's"

BV experiment is over, keep him as a DC but bring in a head coach that knows what he is doing and can get his team ready to play. I was hoping he would be the answer and we get 10 wins this season with an improved defense. He made questionable hires and the product on the field is just garbage. Love BV to death as a human being, but being a head coach is not for him.

BV experiment is over, keep him as a DC but bring in a head coach that knows what he is doing and can get his team ready to play.

It will be interesting to hear his post-game press conference. By now, his slogans and empty platitudes have worn thin, so he needs to come up with some new material.

What pisses me off is BV does not have the same energy on the sidelines that he had at Clemson. If his team was playing like this he would be coming unglued and all up in his players grills. He looks just like Stoops in his last few years and Riley during his time here

When Kansas State hired Klieman over him I knew BV wasn’t head coach material.

This was how it was back in the Blake day's of OU football. That's the bad news. The good news is, the ship will be righted and we'll be back for our next nc! The events that ultimately led to this won't be overcome this year or next. Just being patient...aka "the Blake day's"
Worse than the John Blake days, and I never missed a home game during that era, and watched the rest on tv

What pisses me off is BV does not have the same energy on the sidelines that he had at Clemson. If his team was playing like this he would be coming unglued and all up in his players grills. He looks just like Stoops in his last few years and Riley during his time here
Absolutely!

Because he's getting his ass beat and knows it's his fault. This guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag. He's really that horrible.

Because he's getting his ass beat and knows it's his fault. This guy can't coach his way out of a paper bag. He's really that horrible.
So you don’t place any blame on the players who are constantly out of position on D? I would imagine BV is as pissed as you are with himself and the players quite honestly should be pissed also

Oh wait, some of those players have NIL deals paying them more than some hard working Americans. As long as they get paid I doubt they give a shit if they win or lose as long as that paycheck comes in.

In the end I get your anger with BV but lets be real its not all on him as everybody on the team should take responsibilty. Right now the entire team is one big cluster f**k from coaches to players.

Something tells me the home crowd next weekend vs. KU will be very thin.

So you don’t place any blame on the players who are constantly out of position on D? I would imagine BV is as pissed as you are with himself and the players quite honestly should be pissed also

Oh wait, some of those players have NIL deals paying them more than some hard working Americans. As long as they get paid I doubt they give a shit if they win or lose as long as that paycheck comes in.

In the end I get your anger with BV but lets be real its not all on him as everybody on the team should take responsibilty. Right now the entire team is one big cluster f**k from coaches to players.

Something tells me the home crowd next weekend vs. KU will be very thin.
Uhhhh,errrr, no? Uhhhhhh,errrrr what's the question?

You missed the point 59. I was agreeing with you. I'm sick of hearing Venables say uhhh and errr. I was trying to be tongue in cheek m b my apologies.
I just took it wrong, no worries as I have always enjoyed your post. I just think we are all disappointed in how the season is going.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Anybody remember Joe Gibbs' record in his first five games with the Redskins? He only won three Super Bowls.

We are really short of talents and devastated by injuries. It's going to be a long season, and I doubt we'll make a bowl game for the first time since John Blake. But you don't judge a coach by how his first team plays. OU was 7-5 in Bob Stoops first season, giving up over 30 in each of the first four losses. That was in the days before made the spread offense the best scheme in college football, and teams didn't score as easily as they do now.

And he inherited some terrific talent, and had enough time to fine three great quarterbacks by signing day. I think BV has made some mistakes. But he's also be very unfortunate. The program is good if not great leadership. But this is now going to be a project. And we need to find us a quarterback who is not just a game manager. If we hold this incoming class together, we'll be pretty good.Short term, we're in for some problems.

Where's the talent from all the Top of the Big 12 recruiting classes? It feels like Drake Stoops is one of OU's best players, and he strikes me as the kind of guy that normally lands at an ISU like school and then over achieves his talent. Been a long time since OU has been dependent on that type of kid as a key contributor. And I like DS, but lets not pretend he'd even get an NFL sniff.

And then for coaching, how is it, given that the team had a whole weak to prepare for the game pretty much knowing that the starter was out, that not one of the 3 remaining QBs on roster was prepared to throw a forward pass? Did Libby find one of Bud Wilkerson's old playbooks and mistake it for his own? How else do you explain Single Wing football?

Lobby’s playcalliing ships into absurdity. As season’s go on, offenses should never regress. Beville’s mechanics looked robotic and sluggish. Willis actually moved the ball with a spark. Then in comes the rally killer with awful calls by Lebby. Marvin Mims our best receiver and he gets no throws...but gets lined up in the backfield. The first OU Texas game I completely shutdown after the bizarre jump pass failure. Good coaching lifts you no matter what the case. Lebby cannot resolve anything. KU defense will continue the misery march odd as it is. Lebby your playcallibg and preparedness are called to the Palace carpet. Nothing innovative about you. Not one thing in Conference play.

Stoops inherited a program coming off of three consecutive losing seasons and hadn't won a conference championship in 11 years.
It was actually worse than that...We were 2-6-1 at the cotton bow during the 90's when Coach Stoops was hired. We were about to loose the last bit of Coach Switzerland taken when we won the last game against Nebraska in 1990 and the next 6 were nightmares.. Thank God for the Big 12 north/south scheduling flip otherwise OU would have had to suffer another 69-7 in Norman in 1998 and Stoop would had to endure a tough loss in 1999. I am really worried we can be looking at similar losses coming up. I have ZERO faith in LEBBY and ROOF even though Roof does what BV tells him

Anybody remember Joe Gibbs' record in his first five games with the Redskins? He only won three Super Bowls.

We are really short of talents and devastated by injuries. It's going to be a long season, and I doubt we'll make a bowl game for the first time since John Blake. But you don't judge a coach by how his first team plays. OU was 7-5 in Bob Stoops first season, giving up over 30 in each of the first four losses. That was in the days before made the spread offense the best scheme in college football, and teams didn't score as easily as they do now.

And he inherited some terrific talent, and had enough time to fine three great quarterbacks by signing day. I think BV has made some mistakes. But he's also be very unfortunate. The program is good if not great leadership. But this is now going to be a project. And we need to find us a quarterback who is not just a game manager. If we hold this incoming class together, we'll be pretty good.Short term, we're in for some problems.
^^100% this!!!

The defense is what's it's always been. Difference this year is it's without guys like Isaiah Thomas, Nik Bonitto, and Winfrey. Those were the stars that are gone. Brent's left with a bunch of guys that aren't his guys. There are literally NO difference makers on defense. Only difference between this year and previous years, is the offense isn't scoring 50+ points a game to bail out the defense. Which is another point, OU has a bare cupboard in regards to QB. DG is a decent player, but not near the caliber OU fans are use to. But how many easy throws have we seen him miss that could have led to points on the board, and instead led to punting the ball and putting the defense back on the field. And when DG got hurt, OU has nothing. One of yesterdays better drives were when OU wasn't even snapping the ball to the QB. OU is having to make due with what they could scrape together from the portal after CW and Rattler left.

A guy on the pay board posted this, and really puts things into perspective into the talent on the roster and just how big a rebuild project this is for Brent,

Did some quick research into our bare cupboard:

2018 class: 5 players of 23 still at OU. Bret Walker is one of the 5.

2019 class (should be senior class): we have 10 guys still at OU out of 24 signed. Marcus Hicks, Kori Roberson included.

2020 class (should be junior class): we have 14 guys still at OU out of 23 signed. Bryson Washington, Kendall Dennis, Tre West (JAGs).

2021 class (should be sophomore class): we have 10 guys still at OU out of 16 signed. (Who signs 16 effing players in a class, TBOW?!?)

So, we have a total of 34 scholarship players here from TBOW’s last 3 years. 39 total from his recruiting classes. And many of them are not difference makers. That’s…how you get the results we are getting.

Last edited:
49-0 people. Against an average Texas team. The Nebraska game is a millenia in the rear view mirror. This team and coaching staff has imploded and we are deer in the headlights.
This is not an average Texas team. With Ewers in the line up they are much better than average. Their D Line averages about 320 lbs. B. Robinson is Heisman good and that TE is going to be a problems for all opponents. I would not surprised if Texas won the Big XII this year.

This is not an average Texas team. With Ewers in the line up they are much better than average. Their D Line averages about 320 lbs. B. Robinson is Heisman good and that TE is going to be a problems for all opponents. I would not surprised if Texas won the Big XII this year.
I agree. Calling Texass average means they forget that Texass likely would have beaten Alabama if Ewers hadn't gotten hurt in that game. Texass finally got Ewers back yesterday.

Where's the talent from all the Top of the Big 12 recruiting classes? It feels like Drake Stoops is one of OU's best players, and he strikes me as the kind of guy that normally lands at an ISU like school and then over achieves his talent. Been a long time since OU has been dependent on that type of kid as a key contributor. And I like DS, but lets not pretend he'd even get an NFL sniff.

And then for coaching, how is it, given that the team had a whole weak to prepare for the game pretty much knowing that the starter was out, that not one of the 3 remaining QBs on roster was prepared to throw a forward pass? Did Libby find one of Bud Wilkerson's old playbooks and mistake it for his own? How else do you explain Single Wing football?
I had this opinion of Stoops last year and quickly change my opinion after speaking with a few people that know more about the game that I. I was told that Stoops is one of about a dozen players in the last 30 years that practices just as hard as he plays in games. He spends more time perfecting his game because he is fully aware of his physical abilities. He plays much bigger than his size and he is one of the most sure handed guys on the team. They said the same thing about Cooper Kupp and Hunter Renfrow.

I want to blame Lebby as well but I need to reason with myself. He is a first year OC with a group of guys that were handed to him to mold. I (we) expected too much from this coaching staff. I admit my guilt on this charge. We are six games into their first season. I'm not sure we have a game left that we can win. We are not good at anything except punting the ball. I am not ready to burn the house down.

I had this opinion of Stoops last year and quickly change my opinion after speaking with a few people that know more about the game that I. I was told that Stoops is one of about a dozen players in the last 30 years that practices just as hard as he plays in games. He spends more time perfecting his game because he is fully aware of his physical abilities. He plays much bigger than his size and he is one of the most sure handed guys on the team. They said the same thing about Cooper Kupp and Hunter Renfrow.

I want to blame Lebby as well but I need to reason with myself. He is a first year OC with a group of guys that were handed to him to mold. I (we) expected too much from this coaching staff. I admit my guilt on this charge. We are six games into their first season. I'm not sure we have a game left that we can win. We are not good at anything except punting the ball. I am not ready to burn the house down.
Yes, but Lebby should never use Stoops for a jet sweep or an end around for the reasons you just gave. He doesn't have the physical gifts for that to be successful, and Lebby does it time and again. You can see the difference when you run those plays with someone like Farooq. Stoops is a great receiver but not fast enough to be a runner. I played and have watched football my whole life, but I have ever been payed a cent for coaching and I can realize this. Surely you can expect a highly paid OC at OU to realize this.

Yes, but Lebby should never use Stoops for a jet sweep or an end around for the reasons you just gave. He doesn't have the physical gifts for that to be successful, and Lebby does it time and again. You can see the difference when you run those plays with someone like Farooq. Stoops is a great receiver but not fast enough to be a runner. I played and have watched football my whole life, but I have ever been payed a cent for coaching and I can realize this. Surely you can expect a highly paid OC at OU to realize this.
I honestly though Lebby was setting Texas up by using Gavin Freeman on those jet sweeps we run every game that go for no yards. I actually thought Lebby might have Gavin throw out of that formation instead of running it. Guess I was wrong, Lebby just likes calling crap plays too.

I cannot argue any of your points. I was thinking more slot type receiving in mostly short yardage situations. OU has put far less talented players than Stoops is sweeps with more success. The effort out in front is a must for success. If there is a weak blocking effort then our largest TE will not go far.

Last edited:
I wonder how we would have played and coached had our entire team were healthy. We were missing some our better players….weren’t we? Maybe not elite but much more likely to perform at a higher level. Just trying to figure out what’s changed since early September. Could we still have won our first three games by the same margins if we played them with the team that played Texas Saturday? I’m thinking no.

I cannot argue any of your points. I was thinking more slot type receiving in mostly short yardage situations. OU has put far less talented players than Stoops is sweeps with more success. The effort out in front is a must for success. If there is a weak blocking effort then our largest TE will not go far.
I didn't mean to argue with your point about Stoops being a good player, I was just saying that Lebby didn't call a very good game

Bob was what 7-5 his first season? I understand a 49-0 ass stomping against horn can be debilitating but no where near an immediate firing from the impatient after only half the season. Good lord folks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT