ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoman reports that 11 commitments in 2017 class will......

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
enroll early for the spring semester. I don't recall that many committed players enrolling at OU for the spring (January) semester.
DB Justin Broiles, OL Creed Humphrey and LB Levi Draper, all from in-state, are among those 11 early enrollees.
I know that JUCO recruits WR Marquise Brown and RB/ATH Marcelias Sutton are two more coming in next month, but I'm not sure who the remaining six early enrollees are.....although I think I read that DT Zacchaeus McKinney who committed last week is another early bird.
Given OU's bowl appearance, which gives the coaching staff 15 extra practice sessions to not only prep for Auburn, but further evaluate the younger talent, and the 11 new players from a very stellar recruiting class who will be on hand for spring drills, OU is off to a good start for next year.....and this could be highlighted with a bowl victory over a tough Auburn team.

For some reason, I thought that only a few players could train with the team as part of early enrollment. Was I way off base on that?

For some reason, I thought that only a few players could train with the team as part of early enrollment. Was I way off base on that?
None of the new recruits can train or practice with the team until spring drills, but 11 of them will be ahead of the others who report in late July.

I find it hard to believe that OU has the scholarships available for that many to enroll early. At least not under the NCAA rules as I understand them. I believe that the mid-year scholarships that are available are those left over from the 2016 class. Last February, we signed 20 kids for the 2016 class. It seems to me that we could only possibly have more than 5 kids.

Someone please show me how we can bring in 11 mid-term scholarship players this year. The only way I can see this happening is if they pay their own way through the first semester of 2017.

Reactions: iasooner1
Good question, and one that should be directed at Jacob Unruh and Scott Wright at the Daily Oklahoman.
To quote them in an article about Justin Broiles signing financial aid papers (12/20 edition), they state: "Broiles is one of 11 EARLY enrollees in the 2017 class for OU".
Did I misinterpret this ?

Reactions: iasooner1
Signing FAA papers and enrolling early is on each individual student, which includes student loans, etc. from my understanding. They are responsible for this part of their education and are not on scholarship until the fall, I believe...

Signing FAA papers and enrolling early is on each individual student, which includes student loans, etc. from my understanding. They are responsible for this part of their education and are not on scholarship until the fall, I believe...
That's what I thought after reading Roy's post.....still, it's good to have these players signed so early.

That's what I thought after reading Roy's post.....still, it's good to have these players signed so early.

That is a pretty strong commitment if in fact some of them are paying their own way till Fall of 2017.

However, I still don't see how they can sign a financial aid agreement till fall. To do otherwise seems to be adding them as scholarships. I don't think we have the correct answer quite yet.

My guess is that the kids that are going to enroll early and pay their own way won't sign the financial aid agreement till Fall. But, what do I know :(

I believe we only had 75 scholarship players in 2016 that along with midterm graduates maybe the reason, That is just guess on my part

Would the number of active players graduating in December have an impact on this criteria? In effect, OU had 8 (i think) to graduate this month. So is this considered 8 scholarships available in January?

Would the number of active players graduating in December have an impact on this criteria? In effect, OU had 8 (i think) to graduate this month. So is this considered 8 scholarships available in January?

There is, I am just not 100% clear what those guidelines are. I know there is a limit how many come in the spring but dont know how it works out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT