ADVERTISEMENT

Official OU-FSU game thread

Looks like BV will be the first head coach at OU to have a losing season this century. He better fix the defense or this may not be the last one.
I ain't too concerned right now. Remember, it's year one. There ain't no guillotine reserved for Brent right now.

Reactions: CTOkie
I am one who thinks BV should go before getting to the SEC. He is a defensive minded head coach a "guru" his defense did not improve at all this year, anything they got worse. The offense did its part, zero guys sat out on the defense, and most of these guys will be back next year. A true freshman safety isnt going to come in and make this defense any better. It is all on the coaches and they failed these kids and us fans.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I am one who thinks BV should go before getting to the SEC. He is a defensive minded head coach a "guru" his defense did not improve at all this year, anything they got worse. The offense did its part, zero guys sat out on the defense, and most of these guys will be back next year. A true freshman safety isnt going to come in and make this defense any better. It is all on the coaches and they failed these kids and us fans.
You might be the only one brother. Something to think about also, how did Bob's first year go? Remember? 😉

A game where OU didn’t embarrass itself and played hard.
The absence of three key players didn’t help and a defense that is still a year or two away from being good doomed OU.
This team lost 4 games by one possession and played without a QB against its biggest rival….. and lost the best college QB to Poach Riley. None of the team’s four best defenders from 2021 were replaced.
Based on these factors, I believe Venables stepped onto a very slippery slope and consequently received excessive and unfair criticism along the way by many fans who should know better.
I stated prior to the season that 2022 could be a step backward in order to take two steps forward. It was.

I was surprised we were even in it, I had us losing big but we went toe to toe with them. But until the D can finally be fixed instead of a laughingstock things won't change much. I am getting to the point of not caring anymore.

A game where OU didn’t embarrass itself and played hard.
The absence of three key players didn’t help and a defense that is still a year or two away from being good doomed OU.
This team lost 4 games by one possession and played without a QB against its biggest rival….. and lost the best college QB to Poach Riley. None of the team’s four best defenders from 2021 were replaced.
Based on these factors, I believe Venables stepped onto a very slippery slope and consequently received excessive and unfair criticism along the way by many fans who should know better.
I stated prior to the season that 2022 could be a step backward in order to take two steps forward. It was.
I think next year will be the year that we thought this year would be. Probably go like 7 - 4 or something like that and hopefully make another step in BV's 3rd season.

Three plays:
- the TD by Sawchuck called back by holding
- the fumble by Sawchuck
- the one handed 40 yard catch by FSU

Playing on the road, short-handed, we played a lot tougher than most thought we would. I just want to see if we can start winning these FG loss games of which we had four this year. Next year will be huge to see if we improve or not.

Lets not start blaming officials. Thats so okie state. We had a costly fumble and got beat on that long ball at the end. End of story
As much as I hated these officials you are correct as the outcome of this game came down to….

1. Stupid penalties killed 2 early drives when OU could have possible extended that 14-3 lead to at worse 21-3.

2. The defense once again failed overall and was leaving the middle of the field open all game for a very good QB and a big time WR.

3. The fumble may have been the most damaging game changer of them all in the 4th quarter.

4. BV has to get better on using his teams TOs. Save them for as long as he can. In honestly the best thing that could have happened would have been for OU to let FSU score on that big pass with still 3 min to play. Gives more time for OU offense to get ball down the field.

Dang good effort but until this D actually gets fixed more of the same will follow next year.

As much as I hated these officials you are correct as the outcome of this game came down to….

1. Stupid penalties killed 2 early drives when OU could have possible extended that 14-3 lead to at worse 21-3.

2. The defense once again failed overall and was leaving the middle of the field open all game for a very good QB and a big time WR.

3. The fumble may have been the most damaging game changer of them all in the 4th quarter.

4. BV has to get better on using his teams TOs. Save them for as long as he can. In honestly the best thing that could have happened would have been for OU to let FSU score on that big pass with still 3 min to play. Gives more time for OU offense to get ball down the field.

Dang good effort but until this D actually gets fixed more of the same will follow next year.
Hang on brother! 😁

Hang on brother! 😁
Woody love your enthusiasm but man I am just sick and tired of watching horrible defenses at OU for what seems like forever recently. This isnt the 70s or 80s anymore but dang it is it bad for wanting at least a defense for our Sooners we can count on?

BV has his hands full but I have faith he can get it done.

Woody love your enthusiasm but man I am just sick and tired of watching horrible defenses at OU for what seems like forever recently. This isnt the 70s or 80s anymore but dang it is it bad for wanting at least a defense for our Sooners we can count on?
Remember the Blake days? Bob and Brent are cut from the same mold. Hang on my man! Sooner Magic and glorious days are assured. 👍

Last edited:
Lebby had a run heavy game plan tonight. I am excited about the guys toting the rock next year, give the OL some time and offense will be very good next year no matter who is QB. Mims had two great catches, just wish he was used more tonight, he seemed locked in and was Mims of old.

I was thinking the same thing about just letting them score. The middle of the field against our defense has been wide open since 2009

Lebby had a run heavy game plan tonight. I am excited about the guys toting the rock next year, give the OL some time and offense will be very good next year no matter who is QB. Mims had two great catches, just wish he was used more tonight, he seemed locked in and was Mims of old.
Can you imagine Jackson lightening up the field? Dang almighty brother! Jackson starts day one. 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT