ADVERTISEMENT

Mixon

barkingwater2000

Sooner starter
Jan 12, 2012
Anyone else disappointed in Mixon? I really expected this guy to be something special but so far he just hasn't delivered. I thought we might have the best 1 - 2 running back combo in the country but that hasn't materialized. He looks like he is running at half speed and looking to get tackled. I know he isn't getting much blocking but if he wants to be a great back then he is going to have to show he can make people miss.

Reactions: BillyRay
It's the OL and OFFENSE/play caller. The backs got skills, Perine and Mixon. UT would trade Gray and Freeman for both your backs w/o question.

He could be just another back. But DeMarco Murray looked pretty dang good when he had blockers. I'm not giving up on Mixon yet.
Well from what I've seen he isn't even close to being a Murray. I expected a lot more from the suppposed #1 high school back in the country. We need more than 1 play maker on offense and I hope Mixon would fill that role but so far he doesn't look capable of it

It's the OL and OFFENSE/play caller. The backs got skills, Perine and Mixon. UT would trade Gray and Freeman for both your backs w/o question.
rk..........pretty much any back can look good if they have great blocking. A great back looks good when he doesn't have great blocking. This tells me he is average

Some compared mixon to Murray as a freshman. He is OK but he isn't Murray. Looks like he is always looking for a place to fall down

I haven't seen him go down on the first contact too many times. Hard to compare the two with differing personnel. I think DeMarco had better teammates. But to your point there is no comparison.

well hopefully we can all agree that he isn't looking like the number 1 back in the country. I know the coaching staff did a poor job today but sooner or later some of these big time recruits have got to start making plays when there is no play there.

I am not saying that Mixon is another DeMarco. My point is how different he looks from having good blockers of the Cowboys compared to the Eagles. I don't think anyone here will argue that we have horrible blocking overall. Lets wait and see on Mixon before writing him off.

Scheme is not suited for Perine. Better suited to Mixon, but I don't see OU trying to get him the ball in space much. One of the things that made DeMarco so dangerous was catching passes out of the backfield. I don't think OU ran one screen to the back all day.

Riley might not be totally clear on how to take advantage of our personnel. Today was his worst day as a play caller for the Sooners

Mixon has been out of football for a year and now is running behind a poor line. That may be a factor in his performance thus far.
CT, Seems like he had rave reviews from the players during spring and fall practice. How can he be that great in practice and this average in a game? Listen, I'm not trying to bash Mixon. I really want him to succeed. All I'm saying is so far I'm not seeing anything that would lead me to believe that he will be a great running back. He looks very average

Nailed it, nailed it, nailed it, Section22. But we may have to wait until next year. This OL may not come around this year.
It was last year we were saying next year and now that I think about it was said the year before that too. Does next year ever happen?

That's a good point. Perine is a proven commodity, yet he's not nearly as effective this year, behind a line that's clearly not as good as it was last year.

With that said, Mixon definitely does not look like "the next AP". :) Jury is still out though.

It was last year we were saying next year and now that I think about it was said the year before that too. Does next year ever happen?

Ha, I never said "next year" last year. Not with what we had coming back and a question about who was going to be the QB. This wasn't supposed to be a great team, and it isn't. It was ranked as low as #21 in some polls. OU only rose in the polls because it beat a SEC team coming from behind while playing away. That team is now 3-3. Tulsa set a record for most offensive production against OU in Norman. Think about that considering all the national championship teams and great offensives that have played in Memorial Stadium against the Sooners. I still like this team and will continue as long as they keep fighting. I didn't see any let down today, so I am still hopeful that we win 9 games. If so, that will be a great season for an relatively good team. And, maybe, just maybe, next year might be better, but we won't know until then.

I don't know what you're looking at, but that's typical. Mixon runs hard every time he gets the ball, which isn't often. There are no holes for him or Perine to penetrate.

Do you think Perine suddenly can't play? Or is it more likely that the offensive line struggles is making life difficult for our backs.

I don't know what you're looking at, but that's typical. Mixon runs hard every time he gets the ball, which isn't often. There are no holes for him or Perine to penetrate.

Do you think Perine suddenly can't play? Or is it more likely that the offensive line struggles is making life difficult for our backs.
Figures

He could be just another back. But DeMarco Murray looked pretty dang good when he had blockers. I'm not giving up on Mixon yet.
Me neither, our offensive line is awful, awful and awful. Don't blame it on Mixon, Perine or others. We simply can't open holes.

Well from what I've seen he isn't even close to being a Murray. I expected a lot more from the suppposed #1 high school back in the country. We need more than 1 play maker on offense and I hope Mixon would fill that role but so far he doesn't look capable of it
Oh Yeah, look at Murray now with Eagles. If the line can't block runs get shut down.

Lineman are the players that make good backs great. Linemen in the NFL are are more valuable than backs in the draft.
Moses, All I'm saying is that Mixon doesn't look like the #1 recruit in the nation. He gets tackled easily and doesn't really seem like the difference maker I had hoped he would be. I know the line isn't helping much but he hasn't done much himself either

Mixon doesn't run hard every time he gets the ball. In fact it was discussed earlier this week and how they would like to see him hit the holes a little quicker... I realize the line isn't doing him any favors though and neither one is good without the other.

What does Brennan Clay have to do with the price of tea in China? Nobody here, myself included, said he was "awesome".

I think I'd get a better argument out of a brain damaged Neanderthal.

HA!!!!! You want to know what is wrong with Joe Mixon???

The weakest, most under motivated line OU has had since the Blake era.
Any of Gary Gibbs' line would whip these guys like little girls.

Mixon doesn't run hard every time he gets the ball. In fact it was discussed earlier this week and how they would like to see him hit the holes a little quicker... I realize the line isn't doing him any favors though and neither one is good without the other.
so you want him to run over the O lineman that didn't make his block to open the hole?

Let me spell this out for some of you........Mixon was a big time recruit. In fact, he was the #1 running back in the nation. Big time players are supposed to make plays when plays aren't there. Everything can't be blocked perfect every time. So far, Mixon hasn't shown the ability to do that. Not saying he can't do it or he won't do it in the future, but so far I haven't seen any sign of it. Maybe its because he is a freshman and he is still learning how to play the game at this level. Whatever the case, he hasn't lived up to all the hype from HS and practice.

The running backs are only as good as the line and vice versa. Wasn't it Switzer who said great ones .make something happen when nothing is there?

I will say this, no doubt great backs will find ways to make things happen even when the blocking or holes aren't there. But they can't make such things happen every single carry. And the fact that Mixon got 6 carries......6 carries this game means the odds of him breaking a play was down close to zero.
Hell...even AD had games where lots and lots of carries he would be stopped for little or no gain. But you keep feeding him the ball and feeding him the ball. And eventually, he is going to bust a few big runs in the game.

Nobody needs anything spelled out, least of all from you.

You're wrong. Period. Mixon is a talented young player getting jumped on by 2 and 3 defenders before he hits the LOS. Riley could do a better job getting him the ball in space.

I'm sure you'll reply with a half brained retort because, while you have the right to remain silent, you don't have the ability.

There's a reason the only person who agrees with you is your 'below the bell curve' DNA sharing counterpart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT