ADVERTISEMENT

Kendall calls out OSU defense

8085sooner

Sooner signee
Sep 10, 2008
Why is a true freshman allowed to say anything?

Austin Kendall, the backup quarterback for No. 14 Oklahoma, made it clear he doesn't think the defense of upcoming opponent No. 3 Ohio State is much to worry about.

"I think they really have a very basic defense," Kendall told Sooner Sports TV. "I think we can go out there...I mean [starting quarterback] Baker [Mayfield], he'll light them up. I'm really looking forward to it. If my number is called, I think I can do the same. I'm really looking forward to the game. It's going to be really exciting."

Kendall's remarks quickly drew the attention of Buckeyes players on social media, including defensive end Sam Hubbard and wide receiver Johnnie Dixon.

Say less ..

— samwise (@Sam_Hubbard_) September 15, 2016

You should watch what you say to them bullets

— Johnnie L. Dixon III (@YoungKing_JD5) September 15, 2016

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...n-kendall-calls-ohio-state-defense-very-basic

I wonder how many times he's puked today from running laps?????

Reactions: Oklabama
If those comment are the cause of an OU loss, then OU isn't a very good team.
When he said they were basic, he was talking about formations, not individual players.
The comment about Baker lighting them up is just a confidence comment, to me.
BTW - I hope he is right.

I didn't think Bob would allow true freshman to be interviewed without "special" permission. If this kid broke "team rules" what will be the consequences? Or will Bob let it slide?

Instead of punishing him, maybe Bob should call a team meeting and tell them they better show up and whip some Buckeye ass to back up their teammates comments.

Kinda reminds me of Greg Pruitt's story of the "Hello, Goodbye" shirt Barry got him to wear to make sure he was good and motivated going into the USC game. :cool:

The old "Bulletin Board Material" effect no longer has any impact . These kids grew up around trash talking on the field, court, diamond , or what ever sport they played growing up. Social Media as well.

Watching OSU's film this year it probably has been basic. There are a lot of freshman and new starters so they may have kept the base D more often than not. Add that the defense has yet to give up an offensive TD, they haven't needed to do too much, and what they've done, they've done pretty well.

I wonder if he's running laps with Duct Tape on his mouth today? I'm sure this is the last we hear from him for a very long time.

The old "Bulletin Board Material" effect no longer has any impact . These kids grew up around trash talking on the field, court, diamond , or what ever sport they played growing up. Social Media as well.

That's still no excuse for the guy exposing himself as an inexperienced mental midget. You just don't do this sort of thing. I think things like this do have an impact.

That's still no excuse for the guy exposing himself as an inexperienced mental midget. You just don't do this sort of thing. I think things like this do have an impact.

I agree with 22 in that it does make him look immature and would prefer that the players keep their mouths shut unless they are talking about their teammates or coaches and do their talking on the field. Nothing wrong with having confidence, but it's a short walk to cocky from there.

I agree with 22 in that it does make him look immature and would prefer that the players keep their mouths shut unless they are talking about their teammates or coaches and do their talking on the field. Nothing wrong with having confidence, but it's a short walk to cocky from there.

We've waited YEARS for this game. It may have been scheduled 10 to 12 years ago, I forget. We didn't wait all this time just to have some kid (who was only 7 or 8 years old when it was announced) throw a wrench into the gears. Bad move.

Just be quiet and play, too much trash talking in sports these days. Its called sportsmanship, have a little class.
quote-take-dem-shoes-off-your-teeth-and-stop-running-your-mouth-lil-wayne-67-53-42.jpg

R u a buckeye CT? those comments are bulletin board material. just a little motivation.

R u a buckeye CT? those comments are bulletin board material. just a little motivation.
Since Woody Hayes left, I have always liked Ohio State and how it played, much like Alabama.
Kendall's comments did not diminish Ohio State or the Ohio State defense in referring to it as being "very basic". He only expressed his confidence in Mayfield and himself to play well against them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT