ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Mixon

One year does not really represent a pattern but 5 RBs were selected by the 4th rd. last year. I do think that Mixon is a much better RB than the 3rd, 4th, & 5th RBs picked from last year. I think there will be a run on RBs this year. Mixon goes late 2nd or early 3rd IMO. But hell man, who knows really. Just fun speculating.

My totally uneducated guess is that it would be the opposite. If it's deep, you wait a little and pick somebody at a need position who is in a less deep talent pool.
Mixon will get drafted by the second round.
The NFL seemingly tolerates anything and everything, from Ray Lewis to Ray Rice to Michael Vick.....why would it think less of a player who stalks a woman into a restaurant to continue harassing her and her gay friend ?
Mixon will be just fine.

I don't think it's a given that Joe will go in the first 65 picks. There are a lot of very good backs out there, almost all of them with less public relations issues. Before Joe's status is certain, we need to see how Joe runs his 40, and how well he pumps iron and does the other drills. If he's 4.53 or better, you may be right. If he's under 4.48, you're very likely right. But there is a perception out there, especially in the NFL that Joe did most of his work against inferior defenses. He was pretty good against Auburn, but he didn't have great games against UH or tOSU, except for the kick off return touchdown.

If Joe doesn't have a blow out 40YD, I don't he'll go in the first two rounds. RB's are easier to find than some defensive positions. And there are a bunch of highly considered runners in this year's group.

My totally uneducated guess is that it would be the opposite. If it's deep, you wait a little and pick somebody at a need position who is in a less deep talent pool.

I don't think it's a given that Joe will go in the first 65 picks. There are a lot of very good backs out there, almost all of them with less public relations issues. Before Joe's status is certain, we need to see how Joe runs his 40, and how well he pumps iron and does the other drills. If he's 4.53 or better, you may be right. If he's under 4.48, you're very likely right. But there is a perception out there, especially in the NFL that Joe did most of his work against inferior defenses. He was pretty good against Auburn, but he didn't have great games against UH or tOSU, except for the kick off return touchdown.

If Joe doesn't have a blow out 40YD, I don't he'll go in the first two rounds. RB's are easier to find than some defensive positions. And there are a bunch of highly considered runners in this year's group.
http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/02/23/joe-mixon-nfl-workout-training-video/

Mixon is gone but he left a small trail of destruction which fans and players have to clean up. I am not over it completely, how could you be with what he did. I hope he goes on and does great things.

Reactions: iasooner1
Mixon is gone but he left a small trail of destruction which fans and players have to clean up. I am not over it completely, how could you be with what he did. I hope he goes on and does great things.
Agree.
Seems like every college football team loses great talent prematurely to injuries, transfers, disciplinary issues, bogus jobs or academics. OU has certainly had its share and there likely will be more to come. It's just the nature of the beast....and why having good depth is critical.

I think with Mayfield arrest is what brought up the Mixon issue again with me. That really bothered me with our captain getting arrested. Clean up your act people.

For every Mixon, Charlie Thompson, Bomar, Shannon, Thomas and a few others, the vast majority of players at OU stay focused on conducting themselves well both on and off the field.
But it takes only a few "bad apples" to unfairly tarnish the program's and the school's image.

You think OU's tarnished?

You think OU's tarnished?

We've definitely had an f'd up string of events lately that can't look good to an outsider.
The frat chant, DGB, Mixon, Peterson beating his kids (even though it's post-OU, he's still a face of OU), Frank Shannon, Westbrook, Mayfield, getting blown out in big games.
I don't feel like we're seen as the OU from 2000-2005 when we were considered the very best doing it the right way.

We've definitely had an f'd up string of events lately that can't look good to an outsider.
The frat chant, DGB, Mixon, Peterson beating his kids (even though it's post-OU, he's still a face of OU), Frank Shannon, Westbrook, Mayfield, getting blown out in big games.
I don't feel like we're seen as the OU from 2000-2005 when we were considered the very best doing it the right way.
Parrish Cobb and Michael Hunnicutt are recent 'Names in the News', as well...I don't like the way 'Things' are trending...

This is what the average football fan sees. The rest is fodder for the pundits and rivals.

Dusty Dvoracek beat up his friend in 2004.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Bye Joe. You could have made a name for yourself at OU for all the right reasons but I will always remember the bad. So long, hopefully you learn a little humility in the NFL because it will chew you up and spit you out. Better get that degree because I do not see you playing in the No Fun League for very long. AD you are not, not even close.

I hope his incident served a purpose for all those guys, to not hit a woman.
Yes the lesson is if a girl is trying to hit you or attack you then you must stand there and take it and not hit back. I watched the Jodi arias story the other day. She stabbed a guy to death. At what point is it acceptable to hit a woman back? Somewhere between those 2 extremes there is a breaking point. But society has made rules making it a horrible crime to hit a girl that is trying to hit you. But it's okay to hit a guy who is trying to hit you. Both cases a man should be able to defend himself. Just my opinion.

Yes the lesson is if a girl is trying to hit you or attack you then you must stand there and take it and not hit back. I watched the Jodi arias story the other day. She stabbed a guy to death. At what point is it acceptable to hit a woman back? Somewhere between those 2 extremes there is a breaking point. But society has made rules making it a horrible crime to hit a girl that is trying to hit you. But it's okay to hit a guy who is trying to hit you. Both cases a man should be able to defend himself. Just my opinion.

Sadly this is the world we live in today, men are stronger than women. If a woman hits you be a man and walk away. If she comes at you with a knife run away and call the cops. If anyone comes at me with a knife I am not going to stand there and be stabbed, I am gonna run. Same thing with a woman slapping me or punching me, I run away and call the police. If it is the World we live in where it is unacceptable to hit a woman in any circumstance then why risk it? Just walk away or run away. Of course if it is life threatening and you cannot get away then anything goes but Joe was not threatened with a knife or gun, he could have just walked away and called the Police and said he was assaulted or even that he is an OU Football Player and some crazy drunk was harrassing him and he felt threatened. Go lock yourself in the mens room and make the call. He chose to knock her into next week, bad bad bad decision any way you look at it. Just my 2 cents.

Men are stronger than women argument is a weak thing to base an argument on. Are you saying if a women is clearly larger and stronger than a man she is attacking that finally it is socially acceptable for the man to hit her? If a man walks away from a women hitting him it is considered being a man? But afterwards I have seen plenty of men after situations like that ridiculed and belittled for letting a women get the best of them. I have seen plenty of times women attack men because they don't expect the man to fight back. I am a pretty big guy who has lifted since I was a teenager. I am very certain I am much much stronger than Amanda Nunes. Does that mean my strength advantage gives me no right to defend myself against her if she attacked me even though her skills in fighting means she could very easily knock me out and beat me until I was dead? I do agree that Mixon over escalated his response. But that is one end of the spectrum, with the other end of the spectrum being a woman is trying to kill you. But where between those 2 ends is the man able to defend himself? Only when the threat of death is present? I think that is absurd. Women should be held accountable for their actions and attacks and violence towards a man that leads to that man hitting back. I have never prescribed to the idea that women get a blank check and can inflict pain and suffering on a man with the idea the man can do nothing to defend himself other than lock himself in the mens room and hope she is gone when he decides to come out.

Love me some Ann Coulter - “As the saying goes: God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal.”

But really guys.... I watched the video, and his response didn't shock me. What the girl did was pretty bad and begging for it to some degree.... BUT there are three mentality types that happen in a snap decision situation like that, and that's where the character fear comes into question as far as professionalism goes. There are people that snap to violence when receiving violence without any thought process, there are those that turtle-up and go into fear mode, and then there are those that snap to hyper-processing of the situation when presented with violence.

I can unfortunately say I've been struck more than once by different women in different situations, even while I was drunk, and it never elicited violence from me. Instead, the second I got slapped, my brain went, "Oh crap. I've really upset her. It's time to stop arguing and start defusing this situation."

Heck, I just got into a couple of weeks ago with numerous women. Not one of my prouder moments, but I'll share.
I was at a small, popular bar/club in a kinda sketchy part of town. Kinda rough crowd - not like fear of getting shot at any moment, but definitely the kind of people that aren't going to be doing you any favors after midnight. I don't know why, but that's unfortunately the scene I like - maybe it's the fast booze and the fast women, but I digress.

At some point, I went to the restroom and it was free and clear. I was in my own world and didn't pay attention at all as I walked into the back of the bar and into the restroom. The one urinal was clogged, so I had to use the stall. As I finished up my business and realized no one else was in the room waiting, I decided to check my cell phone. Ah, a text from someone, so I'll take a minute to respond. The next thing I know, the stall door flies open and it's a chick and she immediately starts berating me while yelling back out of the restroom, "OMG! He's just in here on his cell phone!"

So I come out of the restroom, and there's like a line 15 deep of women waiting for their restroom, and obviously they wanted to double up and use the men's. My bad. I didn't even notice the line when I went in. However, their response was pretty sour. I've got like 5-6 of them just dog-cursing me as I come out, and in my inebriation, I of course talk back. I'm busy explaining, "OK, I'm sorry, but be respectful about it. You don't have to kick the doors down and cuss me out." That kinda BS arguing is going on for a second when in the corner I hear a male voice, their white knight, say something along the lines of, "cuss cuss cuss white trash cuss cuss cuss." Now, I have a focus.

I turn towards the aforementioned male, and the typical scenario proceeds, with the "what did you say?" etc, and right when I step up to him, I feel a couple of the women both grabbing me to pull me back and hitting me on the back and back of the head. It's girls though. Come on. With adrenaline going, you don't even hardly feel it. You just kinda know it's happening like when your 5 year old son wants to play fight in the living room and you're busy watching a football game on TV.

What's my response? The second I started getting hit by girls, my brain didn't flip out and retaliate. My brain woke up and said, "ok, they're not playing, and this is a situation that's about to go from super dumb to full-blown retarded in 2 and 2 (as Chuck Woolery would say)." And I just casually turned around into the crowd of women, and walked right past them all yelling at me, a couple still grabbing at me, right back to the bar, closed my tab, gave my bartender friend a hug and ordered a Lyft.

It doesn't take Gandhi to not fight with women.

My younger years when I lived in bars I had many times chicks wanted to fight me. A few of them came after me like they were dudes. And most of them while they are swinging or throwing things at you they are screaming "you gonna hit a girl you piece of %&^*"!!! Really?? I never once hit any of them back. But looking back they desperately deserved it. I know at the time I wished I had a chick friend of girlfriend around that could push their face in. It's just pathetic some chicks use the "hitting girls" defense as their armor to prevent being hit back when they go after dudes. Just pathetic. I'm just glad that I never allowed them to anger me to the point I decided to smash their faces. Considering I was drunk pretty much all the time, I'm amazed I never did that.

I don't see Mixon as a woman beater. I simply see him as a guy that decided to break a chicks face cuz she slapped and pushed him. Though I don't think his response was appropriate for what the chick did to him. A woman beater is a guy that physically abuses women for no other reason than to control them. I feel sympathy for women trapped in those situations. I feel zero sympathy for a women who lays her hands on a dude, then finds out she picked the wrong fight. If you don't want to face consequences for your actions, then keep your damn hands off people.

STATS show that there are some women that are abusive to men that are in a relationship. Growing up I witness several boys slapping their sisters around. I had a friend in elementary school and his sister would smack the crap out of him. Yes, some women want to fight. I too like BillyRay saw plenty of them in bars.

Love me some Ann Coulter - “As the saying goes: God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal.”

But really guys.... I watched the video, and his response didn't shock me. What the girl did was pretty bad and begging for it to some degree.... BUT there are three mentality types that happen in a snap decision situation like that, and that's where the character fear comes into question as far as professionalism goes. There are people that snap to violence when receiving violence without any thought process, there are those that turtle-up and go into fear mode, and then there are those that snap to hyper-processing of the situation when presented with violence.

I can unfortunately say I've been struck more than once by different women in different situations, even while I was drunk, and it never elicited violence from me. Instead, the second I got slapped, my brain went, "Oh crap. I've really upset her. It's time to stop arguing and start defusing this situation."

Heck, I just got into a couple of weeks ago with numerous women. Not one of my prouder moments, but I'll share.
I was at a small, popular bar/club in a kinda sketchy part of town. Kinda rough crowd - not like fear of getting shot at any moment, but definitely the kind of people that aren't going to be doing you any favors after midnight. I don't know why, but that's unfortunately the scene I like - maybe it's the fast booze and the fast women, but I digress.

At some point, I went to the restroom and it was free and clear. I was in my own world and didn't pay attention at all as I walked into the back of the bar and into the restroom. The one urinal was clogged, so I had to use the stall. As I finished up my business and realized no one else was in the room waiting, I decided to check my cell phone. Ah, a text from someone, so I'll take a minute to respond. The next thing I know, the stall door flies open and it's a chick and she immediately starts berating me while yelling back out of the restroom, "OMG! He's just in here on his cell phone!"

So I come out of the restroom, and there's like a line 15 deep of women waiting for their restroom, and obviously they wanted to double up and use the men's. My bad. I didn't even notice the line when I went in. However, their response was pretty sour. I've got like 5-6 of them just dog-cursing me as I come out, and in my inebriation, I of course talk back. I'm busy explaining, "OK, I'm sorry, but be respectful about it. You don't have to kick the doors down and cuss me out." That kinda BS arguing is going on for a second when in the corner I hear a male voice, their white knight, say something along the lines of, "cuss cuss cuss white trash cuss cuss cuss." Now, I have a focus.

I turn towards the aforementioned male, and the typical scenario proceeds, with the "what did you say?" etc, and right when I step up to him, I feel a couple of the women both grabbing me to pull me back and hitting me on the back and back of the head. It's girls though. Come on. With adrenaline going, you don't even hardly feel it. You just kinda know it's happening like when your 5 year old son wants to play fight in the living room and you're busy watching a football game on TV.

What's my response? The second I started getting hit by girls, my brain didn't flip out and retaliate. My brain woke up and said, "ok, they're not playing, and this is a situation that's about to go from super dumb to full-blown retarded in 2 and 2 (as Chuck Woolery would say)." And I just casually turned around into the crowd of women, and walked right past them all yelling at me, a couple still grabbing at me, right back to the bar, closed my tab, gave my bartender friend a hug and ordered a Lyft.

I have been in a situation where a woman flailed away at me. I was angry too, but stood sideways and let her hit me. She wasn't big enough to do major harm...and her absence is a major joy.

Quite a story, JCon. I would like to see this portrayed on the big screen, sit back and tell those watching with me "I know this guy (somewhat), he's a Sooner and a good dude." "This is a very complicated case. Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous." :cool:

Men are stronger than women argument is a weak thing to base an argument on. Are you saying if a women is clearly larger and stronger than a man she is attacking that finally it is socially acceptable for the man to hit her? If a man walks away from a women hitting him it is considered being a man? But afterwards I have seen plenty of men after situations like that ridiculed and belittled for letting a women get the best of them. I have seen plenty of times women attack men because they don't expect the man to fight back. I am a pretty big guy who has lifted since I was a teenager. I am very certain I am much much stronger than Amanda Nunes. Does that mean my strength advantage gives me no right to defend myself against her if she attacked me even though her skills in fighting means she could very easily knock me out and beat me until I was dead? I do agree that Mixon over escalated his response. But that is one end of the spectrum, with the other end of the spectrum being a woman is trying to kill you. But where between those 2 ends is the man able to defend himself? Only when the threat of death is present? I think that is absurd. Women should be held accountable for their actions and attacks and violence towards a man that leads to that man hitting back. I have never prescribed to the idea that women get a blank check and can inflict pain and suffering on a man with the idea the man can do nothing to defend himself other than lock himself in the mens room and hope she is gone when he decides to come out.

Had he chose to walk away or go to the mens room and lock the door and call the cops then he would not have missed a year of football and millions of dollars in the NFL. I bet he is soooooo glad he knocked her into next week, she was a big bad woman about to take him out.
A man being ridiculed or belittled because a woman, a woman got the better of him? WTF? I am a big guy too, lifted weights my whole life and I can guarantee you I have never nor never will hit a woman, its a no win situation regardless if you are a wuss and are scared she is gonna whip your butt. I guess it depends on your upbringing, I was raised different.
Say this happened to a texass player? Man I bet most of you would be singing a different tune.
Just my opinion, only matters to me but thats fine. Everyone has a different opinion about it. I am just glad he is gone and maybe it will be forgotten soon enough. Maybe the Baker arrest was planned so the Mixon and Westbrook chatter would go away? Talk about taking one for the team!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT