ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Valai Co-Defensive Coordinator / Pass Defense / Cornerbacks and Nickelbacks

Phaeded

Sooner starter
Jun 5, 2001
Is there a reason this guy still has a job today? And whomever had serious questions about Roof upon his hire was dead on. Venables has surrounded himself with some subpar assistants.

As for Valai - per SoonerSports:
"This season [2021] he helped [what job title?] Alabama to a 13-2 record, an SEC title and an appearance in the CFP National Championship Game. ... Prior to this year, Valai served as cornerbacks coach at Texas in 2020 and Rutgers in 2019." https://soonersports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jay-valai/706

Besides unwarranted value by being associated with Bama, he coached wretched UT and Rutgers Ds in 2020 and 2019. Clearly this was just a "get a guy associated with Bama." FAIL.

If I could see this D try to fix just one thing this week it would be DBs locating the ball in the air on bombs. All of them tackle the WR (usually before the ball is there resulting in 15 yard penalties) and have no idea where the ball is . ALL of them. Its systemic and indicates shoddy coaching. The back-up QBs just need to lob deep balls in practice all week along against this secondary, with them keeping their heads on a swivel looking for the ball. Next week maybe we can work on not letting a WR run right past you with no cover 2.

But as I've said before regarding Gabriel - if he's out, we're beyond done. As many warts as he might have (all of his balls are sailing for 4 quarters now - he needs to throw a catchable ball, or be rolled out to where his trajectory is not so high to clear the LOS) he's our only option. And Lebby needs to do a better job of mixing in the run; hell just establish the run - we have at least 3 solid RBs. And keep our D off the field. Certainly no time to go Leach on us.

Is there a reason this guy still has a job today? And whomever had serious questions about Roof upon his hire was dead on. Venables has surrounded himself with some subpar assistants.

"This season [2021] he helped [what job title?] Alabama to a 13-2 record, an SEC title and an appearance in the CFP National Championship Game. ... Prior to this year, Valai served as cornerbacks coach at Texas in 2020 and Rutgers in 2019." https://soonersports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/jay-valai/706

Besides unwarranted value by being associated with Bama, he coached wretched UT and Rutgers Ds in 2020 and 2019. Clearly this was just a "get a guy associated with Bama." FAIL.

If I could see this D try to fix just one thing this week it would be DBs locating the ball in the air on bombs. All of them tackle the WR (usually before the ball is there resulting in 15 yard penalties) and have no idea where the ball is . ALL of them. Its systemic and indicates shoddy coaching. The back-up QBs just need to lob deep balls in practice all week along against this secondary, with them keeping their heads on a swivel looking for the ball. Next week maybe we can work on not letting a WR run right past you with no cover 2.

But as I've said before regarding Gabriel - if he's out, we're beyond done. As many warts as he might have (all of his balls are sailing for 4 quarters now - he needs to throw a catchable ball, or be rolled out to where his trajectory is not so high to clear the LOS) he's our only option. And Lebby needs to do a better job of mixing in the run; hell just establish the run - we have at least 3 solid RBs. And keep our D off the field. Certainly no time to go Leach on us.
Valai has a patchwork secondary and one of mediocre talent at best.... and a defensive line that cannot provide a pass rush. No pressure on a QB makes even the best secondaries weaker. Valai cannot "put lipstick on a pig" with the hand he's been dealt.
OU does need to establish a running game more with its surplus of backs.

Valai has a patchwork secondary and one of mediocre talent at best.... and a defensive line that cannot provide a pass rush. No pressure on a QB makes even the best secondaries weaker. Valai cannot "put lipstick on a pig" with the hand he's been dealt.
CT, I get what you’re saying but the pass rush didn’t have much whatsoever to do with the deep coverage errors that scored TD’s. Yes, this is a young, maybe not so talented, secondary that is having to play, but everyone on scholarship is expected to man up when they are call upon. And coaches too. I put most of the blame on the players. They weren’t ready to play Saturday.

I guess Im just getting tired of being lied to by the coaches and the media about how good OU is going to be every year. Its defense is much improved, they have a fire now, the secondary is very talented, all the players are buying into the system...... yadda yadda yadda.

Reactions: loopafied68
We won't hear it but I imagine if they could tell us, they meaning the Coaches would say there wasn't much left to work with when they arrived on Campus. Its going to take some time and fans just have to be very patient right now. After yr 2 or 3 and these problems still persist then there will likely be some changes in the staff. Brent was hinting at his pressers that they are tearing it down to the foundation and building it back. That means to me that its not going to be a quick easy fix. I am content to sit back and relax this season and not expect a whole lot right now and just see what happens.

We won't hear it but I imagine if they could tell us, they meaning the Coaches would say there wasn't much left to work with when they arrived on Campus. Its going to take some time and fans just have to be very patient right now. After yr 2 or 3 and these problems still persist then there will likely be some changes in the staff. Brent was hinting at his pressers that they are tearing it down to the foundation and building it back. That means to me that its not going to be a quick easy fix. I am content to sit back and relax this season and not expect a whole lot right now and just see what happens.
67, thank you for posting this. I had the same thoughts when Brent was named head coach but didn’t want to seem like I wasn’t fully onboard. I’m all in for OU football but sometimes you have to step back and accept that no matter how much you want it, it’s going to be a struggle. Nothing is wrong with that.

67, thank you for posting this. I had the same thoughts when Brent was named head coach but didn’t want to seem like I wasn’t fully onboard. I’m all in for OU football but sometimes you have to step back and accept that no matter how much you want it, it’s going to be a struggle. Nothing is wrong with that.

Welcome! I am just as impatient as anyone else but the Muleshoe Maggot left us in a mess and its not gonna be fixed yesterday like most want or expected, myself included.
But at the end of the day it is what it is and we just have to support them and the plan. All we really can do. Gonna be some bumps and bruises along the way, a lot of pilers on as well while we are down but if it gets us to where we want to be it will be worth it.

Welcome! I am just as impatient as anyone else but the Muleshoe Maggot left us in a mess and its not gonna be fixed yesterday like most want or expected, myself included.
But at the end of the day it is what it is and we just have to support them and the plan. All we really can do. Gonna be some bumps and bruises along the way, a lot of pilers on as well while we are down but if it gets us to where we want to be it will be worth it.
Exactly. Hopefully we hang in the B12 until 2025. Joe C. has to know that so I’m feeling pretty good. That should be enough time to get us prepared for the SEC. Then play the hand we’re dealt.

CT, I get what you’re saying but the pass rush didn’t have much whatsoever to do with the deep coverage errors that scored TD’s. Yes, this is a young, maybe not so talented, secondary that is having to play, but everyone on scholarship is expected to man up when they are call upon. And coaches too. I put most of the blame on the players. They weren’t ready to play Saturday.
The lack of a pass rush killed OU and while there were coverage errors on deep passes, some of that was due to the QB having more time to set his feet to throw deep.
This defense will give up 40-plus points to Texas and I don’t see OU scoring more than 21 points. Texas, even in their two losses, showed me they’re better than OU this year.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
The lack of a pass rush killed OU and while there were coverage errors on deep passes, some of that was due to the QB having more time to set his feet to throw deep.
This defense will give up 40-plus points to Texas and I don’t see OU scoring more than 21 points. Texas, even in their two losses, showed me they’re better than OU this year.
Yeah, I agree, my friend. Hate it when I don’t feel like a victory coming into the RRR but especially now days. Hoping for a big upset Saturday. That could turn this season around.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, my friend. Hate it when I don’t feel like a victory coming into the RRR but especially now days. Hoping for a big upset Saturday. That could turn this season around.
Agree. I haven't felt this way heading into the Texas game since the 1960's.
I will be okay with a good game by OU, win or lose, but at least for 2022, coming off the loss of talent from last year (especially at quarterback), it may not be in the cards.
Whatever the circumstances were surrounding Riley's exit, it's now apparent that the hit to OU's football program for 2022 is as bad as I thought it was last December.
The loss to TCU by such a lopsided score redirected my thinking to just hoping the team would improve down the road. Three more wins and OU is bowl eligible and strange as it seems, that's now a lofty goal.
That said, OU must not enter the SEC any earlier than 2025. To do so next year or in 2024 would be reckless.... OU has to get relevant AGAIN in the Big 12, first and foremost.

Going back and watching some of the game, most of big came from mistakes made by the corners, Graham and Walker did not play well. The big pass where WR was wide open was a cover 3 Graham stayed in the flats where we had 2 guys covering the hitch.

CT and Oklabama

I agree with with everything you all are saying. I have no faith in OU beating Texas Saturday and I just want a bowl season at this point but not even sure that is possible. However all we as fans can do is support this team through these bad times.

I keep noticing that everytime one of our linebackers blitzes the qb. Whether it be Stutsman or #2, right before they’re going to make contact they pull up for a split second and the qb gets rid of the ball everytime. No idea what they’re doing almost like they’re scared.

Safety play was really bad. I'd like to see Brent get a 4 man front going. We saw it a lot the first 3 games and now 2 weeks in a row we've run 3 down lineman and got zero pressure on the QB. The tackling regressed. The defensive backs refuse to locate the ball. Busted coverages I can live with. Playing soft zone with no pressure is a recipe for disaster in today's game. Almost everybody can spread you out and dink you for 7 yards a play. Sacks and turnovers are necessary.

Safety play was really bad. I'd like to see Brent get a 4 man front going. We saw it a lot the first 3 games and now 2 weeks in a row we've run 3 down lineman and got zero pressure on the QB. The tackling regressed. The defensive backs refuse to locate the ball. Busted coverages I can live with. Playing soft zone with no pressure is a recipe for disaster in today's game. Almost everybody can spread you out and dink you for 7 yards a play. Sacks and turnovers are necessary.
A disruptive dline will solve most problems. 👍

Reactions: iasooner2000
A disruptive dline will solve most problems. 👍

Yup. And we got the bodies. They may not be Gerald McCoy but 2 big bodies in the middle are harder to block than 1. Let Downs and Grimes get after it outside and shut down the run. If you're handing an offense 7 yards a carry you lose.

Yup. And we got the bodies. They may not be Gerald McCoy but 2 big bodies in the middle are harder to block than 1. Let Downs and Grimes get after it outside and shut down the run. If you're handing an offense 7 yards a carry you lose.
Brownlow-diddy was a get, legacy.

Totally on point explanation of this unraveled defense. Two long QB runs around the ends got my blood pressure skyrocketing to danger level. It was terrible contain once again.

Totally on point explanation of this unraveled defense. Two long QB runs around the ends got my blood pressure skyrocketing to danger level. It was terrible contain once again.

Seeing DeShawn White stretched out like a nickel or safety is stomach turning. Not even his fault.

If we don't see more Kanak or Evers (barring Gabriel's health) I'm assuming we're accepting defeat with as minimal margin as possible. Beville is a practice dummy out there.

Seeing DeShawn White stretched out like a nickel or safety is stomach turning. Not even his fault.

If we don't see more Kanak or Evers (barring Gabriel's health) I'm assuming we're accepting defeat with as minimal margin as possible. Beville is a practice dummy out there.
Kanak is a bad mofo. I say turn him loose. He's the kind of player that make's a coach look good. Kanak looks good now. Wtf?

K-9 played as a freshman and made mistakes, he was an outside LB in high school and made the switch to middle at OU. In the Georgia game, he was out of position several times, but he learned and at the end of the day he has been one of OU's best LB. Kanak is just as good or better than what K-9 was. I agree turn him loose. So these recrutis that you have a chance at getting on the field as a true freshman. The days of sitting on the bench and waiting your turn are long gone, with the portal.

Anyone still bothering to make excuses for Valai at this point? The secondary is making zero progress and made KU's back-up look all-world.

K-9 played as a freshman and made mistakes, he was an outside LB in high school and made the switch to middle at OU. In the Georgia game, he was out of position several times, but he learned and at the end of the day he has been one of OU's best LB. Kanak is just as good or better than what K-9 was. I agree turn him loose. So these recrutis that you have a chance at getting on the field as a true freshman. The days of sitting on the bench and waiting your turn are long gone, with the portal.
this is just me, but if I'm a defensive player Venables is after, I sign ASAP knowing I will play at least 50% of the time my freshman year.

Anyone still bothering to make excuses for Valai at this point? The secondary is making zero progress and made KU's back-up look all-world.
The fact that OU has no pass rush is not an excuse, but ONE reason for opponents to rack up passing yards against OU... along with the fact that these defensive backs aren't that talented. Valai has to play the hand he's been dealt right now.

I had a conversation with a friend who is diehard Bama. I was saying how bad our secondary was and that Valai may have been a bad hire. He disagreed and said Valai is a great coach, he said look at Bama secondary this year without him, they are not the same. He also said Valia is a great recruiter and after a year or two OU will have a dominant secondary. Guess we shall wait and see.

Reactions: Patriotgame
I had a conversation with a friend who is diehard Bama. I was saying how bad our secondary was and that Valai may have been a bad hire. He disagreed and said Valai is a great coach, he said look at Bama secondary this year without him, they are not the same. He also said Valia is a great recruiter and after a year or two OU will have a dominant secondary. Guess we shall wait and see.
There are a couple of Bama fans at my local watering hole in N. Scottsdale. They were hissing mad when Valai left Alabama for OU. They were of the opinion that Valai was heir apparent for the DC job in Tuscaloosa. They had this "jilted lover" attitude towards Jay at that point. The downside is that Jay has not been anywhere for longer than one year since becoming a position coach.

Only time will tell if any of the new hires were good or not. Till then the benefit of the doubt will have to be given.
Recruiting is the path out of the mess we have seen this season as is perhaps the Portal.
New systems are in place, just gotta find the right pieces to run em.
Exactly. This season isn’t one to judge the staff.

Preach it my man!

Again, locating the deep ball (instead of tackling the WR because you feel beat) and not letting your WR run past you on a bust based on an errant assumption you had cover 2 behind you are fundamentals that have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DL in terms of technique. Its not like we are rolling out 2 stars (like #1 in pass D efficiency Illinois) or completely inexperienced DBs; we mainly have upperclassmen in the 2 deep (preseason depth chart):
So its wrong to expect in-season adjustments/improvements (and wouldn't in-game adjustments be nice?)? Just be happy Valai's supposedly a good recruiter and "wait till next year"?

The BIg XII is erratic on how much contact they allow from DB's in coverage. Some of what's being called is not a penalty in other conferences. And there is another factor. OU and Texas used to get more of their share of breaks from Big XII stripes. That has disappeared. The opposite is now true.

When you look at the Longhorns game in Stillwater last Saturday, they had 14 accepted penalties called against them. OSU had none. OU is suffering from the same inequities. It's just going to be that way for the next three years, and it makes a difference. Sometimes it makes a big difference.

OUr DB's were being taught to be physical with receivers. But that physicality is being called a lot. When you're a 5'11 DB trying to cover a 6'5 receivers, you need some latitude. That's not being allowed. The departing teams are being scrutinized in a whole new way. OUr technique can use some work. But the guy who has been coaching OUr corners came from the SEC. A totally different officiating paradigm has always been the case in the Big XII. Throw in the additional scrutiny, and it's going to be tough. That's just the way it is, and is going to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT