ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen hurts is who I thought he was .... a running back trying to play quarterback

Nov 16, 2019
All LSU has to do is load the box because we all know Jalen Hurts can’t throw the ball to save his life.

Don’t know if we will have anything better next year but it can’t be any worse

Jalen is who most thought he was. Him joining the team did not make this team a National Title Contender, it wouldn't matter if Kyler had another year of elgibility this team was never going to win it all.
Riley brought in Hurts to buy some time for next season, some time for the offense and defense to get better with a chance to compete for a Conference Title.
I didn't think this team would make the playoffs this year nor did I think they deserved to be in it but they were and hopefully Riley has learned a lot from it.
We will see going forward I guess.
Hell its just a game.

Hurts may be overrated and a flawed QB, but OU would not have game 11-2 this season without him.

I guess one could say this, but I'm not too sure of this to be honest. While Jalen had some serious numbers he also created many of his own problems. It's been a long time, many years since we had a QB that was so careless w/ the ball & having so many turnovers. These put us in a hole many times and placed undue pressure on the defense.

Rattler is the future fellas.

But there's no excuse for being the team who was making their 3rd straight playoff appearance and being the one looking shell shocked.

Lots to absorb and tough to do it but so much falls on a HORRIBLE game plan, especially defensively.

But there's no excuse for being the team who was making their 3rd straight playoff appearance and being the one looking shell shocked.

Lots to absorb and tough to do it but so much falls on a HORRIBLE game plan, especially defensively.
I hear people in the media talking about how good Riley is especially if given several weeks to prepare. Well he came up with a lame plan today and the team looked horrible from the very first series. His offensive genius status took a hit today

I see it a bit different. I see a DC that came into this game facing the #1 offense in the country w/ missing starters. It sucks. It really does. But I think w/ DTY & Perkins in place, this game would have been big time different at lesst defensively. All the while using the same game plan. We have no depth. Zilch. It showed tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
I was not a big fan of Riley getting the HC Position when Bob retired. I warmed up to it a little the past 3 seasons but I am cooling off a bit now.
Yep. This was coaching. Just look at the second half box score. LSU continued to play their 1sts but of course became vanilla and predictable. We tied them in that half. We had the players to bow up and stop them when knowing what they were doing. It's up to the coaches to have the players understanding what's going on.
The coaches failed this team in the first half.

Meh....

We knew going in, Grinch had to figure out 11 guys he could salvage from Mike's defense... he did it, just ONLY 11 guys.

K9 got hurt.
Perkins got suspended.
DTY was out with injury.

Those guys are our leaders at all three levels of defense.

Then.... Bookie got tossed for targeting.

If anything is vexing, it's the offense that produced nothing. They were only down Stephenson? LSU has been scored on for sure this year. We should have at least gone tit for tat offensively.

Maybe but watching lsu beat us like a red headed step child and watching osu vs clempson tonight we are not in the same league as those 3 teams, its painfully obvious. Lots of work to be done.

100% correct! We have a lot of areas that need improvement, especially on defense. We need to recruit better on the D-line, and defensive back in particular. We are paper thin at both positions.

We should have been close to tied after Q1 but for the mysterious non-call

Yea you never know how that might have turned out had the ref not ignored it. In the end though Burrows picked apart our secondary with his accuracy and our offense just wasn’t good enough to match them toe to toe.

i admit I don’t understand Riley bringing in Rattler with 4 minutes left because why not earlier after getting down 49-14. The game was over ( hell it was over way before that) so why not give him the whole second half to play and get the experience. Just really baffles me.

Meh....

We knew going in, Grinch had to figure out 11 guys he could salvage from Mike's defense... he did it, just ONLY 11 guys.

K9 got hurt.
Perkins got suspended.
DTY was out with injury.

Those guys are our leaders at all three levels of defense.

Then.... Bookie got tossed for targeting.

If anything is vexing, it's the offense that produced nothing. They were only down Stephenson? LSU has been scored on for sure this year. We should have at least gone tit for tat offensively.

Our oline got whipped all day

Whole team, coaches, waterboys and girls, cheerleaders, band and Sooner Schooner got whipped all day. I even feel like I got whipped as well.

I agree its a big emotional let down for fans that follow this team year in year out for years. Seems like we have the same problems we had 10 years ago. Great offense and average at best defense. Beginning to wonder if they will ever be able to break through

Oline ended up being a problem all year. Bedenbaugh has been so automatic for us that we all assumed he'd eventually piece together another miracle. 4 lost starters was more than his mouth could chew, and that's no knock on him. Just reality

I thought about this all season long, new DC, New QB that was a Transfer, New O Line and we got back to the playoffs. Pretty remarkable considering what all we lost and in a short time made a run.
Yeah it hurts to lose but it can be done at OU and will be again, just not our time yet.
To do what we did this season considering the above facts I stated is something to hang our hats on. We were just not good enough to get it done, neither were a hell of a lot of other teams including number 2 Ohio State.

I thought about this all season long, new DC, New QB that was a Transfer, New O Line and we got back to the playoffs. Pretty remarkable considering what all we lost and in a short time made a run.
Yeah it hurts to lose but it can be done at OU and will be again, just not our time yet.
To do what we did this season considering the above facts I stated is something to hang our hats on. We were just not good enough to get it done, neither were a hell of a lot of other teams including number 2 Ohio State.
Excellent damn point. A good reason to slowly back the barrel of the gun out of our mouths and remove our fingers from the trigger.

I guess one could say this, but I'm not too sure of this to be honest. While Jalen had some serious numbers he also created many of his own problems. It's been a long time, many years since we had a QB that was so careless w/ the ball & having so many turnovers. These put us in a hole many times and placed undue pressure on the defense.
In OU's two losses, 111 points were scored against OU.
I choose to blame OU's ever-present lack of defense over a QB, however erratic, who accounted for over 5,149 total yards and 52 touchdowns while being a Heisman runner up.
Injuries and suspensions took a toll on OU for sure, but this game with LSU was going to be an ass whipping regardless. The Sooners' defense is a fraud, ranked 127th in the nation in red zone defense and lacking the depth and talent to compete on an elite level.
LSU is on a higher level than OU. The Tiger team that played Texas in September is not the team that mauled OU yesterday.
I look forward to Rattler's time at OU and I see great things for him, but those things will not get OU to a championship level....a national championship level...by his efforts alone. Mayfield, Murray, Hurts had gaudy numbers at OU, but all three of them were derailed by poor defenses in the playoffs. Rattler could suffer the same fate through no fault of his own.

Last edited:
In OU's two losses, 111 points were scored against OU.
I choose to blame OU's ever-present lack of defense over a QB, however erratic, who accounted for over 5,149 total yards and 52 touchdowns while being a Heisman runner up.
Injuries and suspensions took a toll on OU for sure, but this game with LSU was going to be an ass whipping regardless. The Sooners' defense is a fraud, ranked 127th in the nation in red zone defense and lacking the depth and talent to compete on an elite level.
LSU is on a higher level than OU. The Tiger team that played Texas in September is not the team that mauled OU yesterday.
I look forward to Rattler's time at OU and I see great things for him, but those things will not get OU to a championship level....a national championship level...by his efforts alone. Mayfield, Murray, Hurts had gaudy numbers at OU, but all three of them were derailed by poor defenses in the playoffs. Rattler could suffer the same fate through no fault of his own.
Great points, but the OU team that played Texas about like LSU did (right down to the same final onside kick) is not the same OU team that played last night. Injuries and suspensions really took a toll. No way the OU team that beat Texas gets its butt handed to them like yesterday.

It wouldnt have mattered if Rattler burned his redshirt or not, which he didnt, he will start for two years and off to the NFL. QB's like him dont stay in college for 4 years. Now LSU was the better team, but its hard to beat a good team when the refs are blowing calls left and right. The PI, the WR being forced out of bounds, and their left tackle was holding on almost every play. On the forced out, they never showed the replay on tv cause they knew it was a BS call.

Great points, but the OU team that played Texas about like LSU did (right down to the same final onside kick) is not the same OU team that played last night. Injuries and suspensions really took a toll. No way the OU team that beat Texas gets its butt handed to them like yesterday.
Winning games in the Big 12 has not shown OU to be a national championship worthy team these past three years. OU barely beat a flawed Texas team, a 7-6 Iowa State team, a 5-7 TCU team and barely survived Baylor and its 2nd and 3rd team quarterbacks in the Big 12 title game, won in overtime.
The OU team of October 12 (vs Texas) may have played a better game against LSU yesterday, but LSU is playing at a higher level than OU ever did at any point in the season.
And when a team loses 63-28, after trailing 49-14 at halftime, the reasons go above injuries and suspensions.

Winning games in the Big 12 has not shown OU to be a national championship worthy team these past three years. OU barely beat a flawed Texas team, a 7-6 Iowa State team, a 5-7 TCU team and barely survived Baylor and its 2nd and 3rd team quarterbacks in the Big 12 title game, won in overtime.
The OU team of October 12 (vs Texas) may have played a better game against LSU yesterday, but LSU is playing at a higher level than OU ever did at any point in the season.
And when a team loses 63-28, after trailing 49-14 at halftime, the reasons go above injuries and suspensions.
Sorry, but I have to disagree on that last point. LSU beat OU about like they did Ole Miss, Vandy, MSU, Arkie and aTm. No way is OU down on that level. A healthy OU team would beat any of those teams comfortably. Or perhaps to better make my point, none of those teams would have been playoff contenders playing OU's schedule. In fact, the OU team that we brought to Atlanta would likely have lost 3-4 games if that were our team for the year.

Last edited:
Hurts helped us win games just as much as he helped us lose 2. The fumbles and interceptions kept games closer than they should have been. The stupid penalties did as much also. The defense was on the field way too much in most games.
Did the injuries and suspensions hurt? Of course they did. But in reality, the fails were team wide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT