ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Ging - Good Ole Boy Sooner

He, James Garner and Dennis Weaver all went to Hollywood in the 50's looking to be actors. Garner was never an OU student, but he was from Norman. All made an acting career at various levels. I saw Jack not long ago on an old Perry Mason episode.

Weaver was a track athlete at OU. And was the oldest of the three.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Ging had 5 touchdowns in his OU career and played a huge part in OU's great 7-0 win over Maryland in the 1954 Orange Bowl. Many claim the win vs Maryland was OU's best game of the 1950's against a great Maryland team.
He appeared in 16 movies and many TV shows from 1958-1994.

I
Ging had 5 touchdowns in his OU career and played a huge part in OU's great 7-0 win over Maryland in the 1954 Orange Bowl. Many claim the win vs Maryland was OU's best game of the 1950's against a great Maryland team.
He appeared in 16 movies and many TV shows from 1958-1994.
I rarely watched TV when I was young and watched it less the older I got. Living and working overseas reduced my TV time to near zero, except France where my TV served as a part of my daily French lessons. I must admit that I had no idea who Jack was when I met him.

I have a brother that lives in Newport Coast, California that happens to be very good friends with Rickie Fowler's father-in-law. My brother and Rickie are both OSU grads. My brother attended a BBQ at his friends house this summer where Ed Harris was invited and showed up. The conversation went to college sports and bounced around golf, baseball and eventually softball before Ed said he followed OU sports very closely. I had not realized Ed Harris attended OU for 2 years and caught the acting bug at OU/OKC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT