ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting quarterback day. Yahoo has a story saying Baker won the job.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
But it's not on the front page here at all. There are threads here and on the premium site saying "Reports say Mayfield to be named the starter." But nothing official locally.

The other quarterback news is a long discussion, also on Yahoo about whether a Terrell Suggs hit on Bradford on a handoff, was illegal. A flag was thrown. Chip Kelly said it was the right call. But the NFL said today that it was a zone read play, so the flag should not have been thrown. And Kelly said they were wrong.

I suppose Sam is okay, but he only played one series in a huge win over Baltimore.

Just a general observation. I've seen a bunch of cheap shot hits in NFL preseason games that are not being called. It's like a Stanley Cup playoff season in the old days.I wonder if the Stripes have been told to let the games move along.

More than a few false starts not being called either.

All for now.

I meant on this site. Not all of us live around Norman, OKC or Tulsa. This is where I get my Sooner news. I must have said it poorly. It wouldn't be the first time. But the front page here has nothing about it.

But it's not on the front page here at all. There are threads here and on the premium site saying "Reports say Mayfield to be named the starter." But nothing official locally.

The other quarterback news is a long discussion, also on Yahoo about whether a Terrell Suggs hit on Bradford on a handoff, was illegal. A flag was thrown. Chip Kelly said it was the right call. But the NFL said today that it was a zone read play, so the flag should not have been thrown. And Kelly said they were wrong.

I suppose Sam is okay, but he only played one series in a huge win over Baltimore.

Just a general observation. I've seen a bunch of cheap shot hits in NFL preseason games that are not being called. It's like a Stanley Cup playoff season in the old days.I wonder if the Stripes have been told to let the games move along.

More than a few false starts not being called either.

All for now.
Mayfield has obviously shown a little bit better than Knight and Thomas this month and hopefully, he can take OU to its historical high level, but if Perine and Shepard are essentially his only legitimate weapons and if the offensive line proves average at best, 2014 may seem like "the good old days".
Lots of questions surrounding this team and they all have to be answered very positively if this team wants to be elite again.

We have several more weapons than just Perine and Shepard. Westbrook and Mixon are going to open this thing up a lot.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
We have several more weapons than just Perine and Shepard. Westbrook and Mixon are going to open this thing up a lot.
Those other weapons are potentially good, but unproven. And there's still the offensive line, the receiving corps (Neal, Mead, Humphrey, Quick and others need to form a deep and solid rotation), the kicking game and the fullback (or H-back) position that must become solid.

I keep hearing about our suspect offensive line, but I don't understand its foundation.

Center - Ty Darlington, Alex Dalton (4-star No. 6 Center ESPN)
Guards - Nila Kasitati, Jonathon Alvarez (No. 58 Guard ESPN)
Tackles - Josiah St John, Derek Farniok, Orlando Brown (No. 35 Tackle ESPN), Christian Daimler (No. 95 Tackle ESPN), Kenyon Frison (No. 34 Tackle ESPN), Joseph Paul (No. 39 Guard ESPN)

Newcomer Guard/Tackles - Jamal Danley (No. 1 JuCo Guard, No. 10 JuCo Tackle), Bobby Evans (No. 16 Tackle ESPN), Cody Ford (No. 87 Guard ESPN), Dru Samia (No. 59 Guard ESPN)

So, we have 4 guys with significant starts or game time: Darlington, St John, Kasitati, Farniok
Then, we have the No. 1 JuCo lineman, Jamal Danley.
That's a full starting 5 with significant college playtime experience.

We have some big time recruits for backups or potential starters, at least 5 of them to round out the top 10: Brown, Frison, Paul, Dalton, Alvarez, Evans.

I keep hearing about our suspect offensive line, but I don't understand its foundation.

Center - Ty Darlington, Alex Dalton (4-star No. 6 Center ESPN)
Guards - Nila Kasitati, Jonathon Alvarez (No. 58 Guard ESPN)
Tackles - Josiah St John, Derek Farniok, Orlando Brown (No. 35 Tackle ESPN), Christian Daimler (No. 95 Tackle ESPN), Kenyon Frison (No. 34 Tackle ESPN), Joseph Paul (No. 39 Guard ESPN)

Newcomer Guard/Tackles - Jamal Danley (No. 1 JuCo Guard, No. 10 JuCo Tackle), Bobby Evans (No. 16 Tackle ESPN), Cody Ford (No. 87 Guard ESPN), Dru Samia (No. 59 Guard ESPN)

So, we have 4 guys with significant starts or game time: Darlington, St John, Kasitati, Farniok
Then, we have the No. 1 JuCo lineman, Jamal Danley.
That's a full starting 5 with significant college playtime experience.

We have some big time recruits for backups or potential starters, at least 5 of them to round out the top 10: Brown, Frison, Paul, Dalton, Alvarez, Evans.
You're listing players based on recruiting rankings and not on proven performances on a college level. Until these players perform well on the college level, they are....with all due respect...unproven prospects.
St. John and Farniok are not proven commodities, not by a long shot.

JCon, depends on what practice reports you read. I've read some that has shown alot of concern over the OLs pass protection and run blocking. Now let's hope that is the case because of OUs DL is ridiculously good that they are facing in practice. We really won't know for sure till we get into the season. I doubt Akron will be a legit measuring stick. But be certain that Tennessee will show where OUs line is at.

Don't forget that Farniok is already a proven road-grader, and the air raid offense takes pressure off of the offensive line in the passing game.
Danley is already expected to be the guard opposite of Nila. I'd say #1 JuCo guard says something about proving it on the field.

Our line will be juuuust fine for an air raid offense.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklah...cle_aa011d82-3f07-11e5-8611-cf70fa88dc62.html
I'm holding off on the lofty expectations until after game two on 9/12.
There is potential on the 2015 team, as there always is at OU and no one wants to see this potential become a smashing success more than me. But I am going to wait before proclaiming the 2015 team a top ten team and/or a playoff contender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT