ADVERTISEMENT

I love it.... great win last night.

No doubt about that. Never claimed that. But I am positive that those who like to post a bunch of negative stuff about Bob and his staff, know a whole lot less than the staff does, which is all I ever claimed.

We've had a bunch of posters beat up MStoops as incompetent in all kinds of ways here. And those people don't know squat. It is about players and who you have on any particular game day. Who makes plays and who doesn't. Last night, OUr guys made most of the plays. And that's why they earned a great win.
Not everything at OU has been positive over in recent years and the overhaul of the coaching staff has been the most graphic proof of this, as well as some poorly played games, which means BOTH coaches and players have faltered. Consequently, Oklahoma fans have vented frustration and disappointment.....fairly or unfairly....and through it all, why let this bother you ?
Trust me, there are more important things in life to be concerned with than a fan who doesn't share your opinion.

Mr. Negative back again after an incredibly great and emotional Sooner victory taking unwarranted negative pot shots at other Sooner posters. Have you no shame?

You don't seem to enjoy life at all unless you are bullying? Is hatred your primary motivator in life?

Oh no! You're "in my head"!!;)

Boomer Sooner

A lot of fans who don't take shots at players and coaches are just putting it back at all the negative posts they've read over the last 3 years. Off-season was bad for this..... Then even with a great season going on a pessimistic poster brings it down. He'll I was told I was on crack on this board for saying OU would beat Baylor. Let our great posters vent and at the same time enjoy a great Sooner Victory. I've been called idiot and many other things for tossing my build up back, doesn't bother me just hope those posters feel better for it. I Love Sooner football I'm not just a fan I know what it's like to play, and sometimes I take player bashing personal. As I'm sure others do as well.

FW, the t
Plaino your generalizations do not necessarily apply to me. The same guy you refer to is in the booth, not on the field, and no longer coaching directly over the secondary. Every team faces injuries and depth issues some deal better than others. I will never dissect X's and O's at the level you do but I do have the eye test. Maybe I should get a gig on the CFP committee? I am not worried about my perceptions or opinions, I am able to admit when I am wrong and happy to do so.... Just ask my wife.

I absolutely agree with you, that it is better for the team for Mike to cut back on his position responsibilities. But you are saying that your criticism of him was justified. I wouldn't consider you among them, but a huge percentage of the coach bashers here blame the coaches no matter who is hurt, because by God we're OU and if we lose, we ought to have somebody to blame, and it's a coach.

Mike is the same guy he was a year ago. They did some evaluation and decided that they could get the plays called from the sidelines a little quicker if he were in the booth. And logistically, coaching half of the players on the field in addition to coordinating was more than most could handle well. It was a good decision. But that doesn't support the claim that Mike is incompetent. Or that Bob won't do what he should to because we're "stuck with Mike," because he is the HC's brother. That is nonsense.

Those guys are terrific for our program. And Mike had a really good night last night, because he has the players to make it work.

Those who blamed Mike for the RRR loss just make almost no sense. We scored 17. If we have good enough players, and they make plays, We can beat anyone we might play in the next three or dare we think it, four games. And coaching will have a lot to do with it. But mostly, it will be about what players do. Hopefully, it will include fewer late hits.

And to BR's point, I would not be opposed to dialing it down a little because it is different beating a true freshman quarterback. That's not to minimize a great road win. But you have to earn it again last week. Same as last year, when we had a lot more injury problems. This year, they did, and it mattered. Sometimes, winning a title has as much to do with good fortune as it does excellence. You really need both.

FW, the t

I absolutely agree with you, that it is better for the team for Mike to cut back on his position responsibilities. But you are saying that your criticism of him was justified. I wouldn't consider you among them, but a huge percentage of the coach bashers here blame the coaches no matter who is hurt, because by God we're OU and if we lose, we ought to have somebody to blame, and it's a coach.

Mike is the same guy he was a year ago. They did some evaluation and decided that they could get the plays called from the sidelines a little quicker if he were in the booth. And logistically, coaching half of the players on the field in addition to coordinating was more than most could handle well. It was a good decision. But that doesn't support the claim that Mike is incompetent. Or that Bob won't do what he should to because we're "stuck with Mike," because he is the HC's brother. That is nonsense.

Those guys are terrific for our program. And Mike had a really good night last night, because he has the players to make it work.

Those who blamed Mike for the RRR loss just make almost no sense. We scored 17. If we have good enough players, and they make plays, We can beat anyone we might play in the next three or dare we think it, four games. And coaching will have a lot to do with it. But mostly, it will be about what players do. Hopefully, it will include fewer late hits.

And to BR's point, I would not be opposed to dialing it down a little because it is different beating a true freshman quarterback. That's not to minimize a great road win. But you have to earn it again last week. Same as last year, when we had a lot more injury problems. This year, they did, and it mattered. Sometimes, winning a title has as much to do with good fortune as it does excellence. You really need both.

What a great post.....there are many things involved with winning football games. And I can tell you Oklahoma fans are spoiled, and what's funny most didn't even show up until Bob come to Norman. This is what kills me. We have one of the best head coaches in the entire NCAA, yet I read many posts this off-season.... Stoops better win or else. Jmo those folks have no clue.

Last edited:
A lot of fans who don't take shots at players and coaches are just putting it back at all the negative posts they've read over the last 3 years. Off-season was bad for this..... Then even with a great season going on a pessimistic poster brings it down. He'll I was told I was on crack on this board for saying OU would beat Baylor. Let our great posters vent and at the same time enjoy a great Sooner Victory. I've been called idiot and many other things for tossing my build up back, doesn't bother me just hope those posters feel better for it. I Love Sooner football I'm not just a fan I know what it's like to play, and sometimes I take player bashing personal. As I'm sure others do as well.
mike,

Posters who come on here to trash out posters after such a great win are likely not so much Sooner fans as they are fans of their ego.

I've been called some ugly things myself but life goes on.

It seems that those here who use the terms "pessimistic" and "bashing" on an opinionated board are merely bad sports, butt hurt, arrogant, egocentric, and intolerant people. They have greater ability at correctly spelling "civility" than applying it.

Some just aren't happy unless they are seething with hate for others. Even a great, epic, and a tremendously momentum building Sooner victory doesn't seem to deter the hatred. They seem eaten up with themselves and have an overwhelming yearning to trash out others. Why? Just because one expresses an opinion that they embrace as a personal affront against their own perspective. I would imagine that would be hard for most posters to fathom.

Boomer Sooner

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyRay
What a great post.....there are many things involved with winning football games. And I can tell you Oklahoma fans are spoiled, and what's funny most didn't even show up until Bob come to Norman. This is what kills me. We have one of the best head coaches in the entire NCAA, yet I read many posts this off-season.... Stools better win or else. Jmo those folks have no clue.

"Who said Coach Stoops better win or else???" Wait for it...

mike,

Posters who come on here to trash out posters after such a great win are likely not so much Sooner fans as they are fans of their ego.

It seems that those here who use the terms "pessimistic" and "bashing" on an opinionated board are merely bad sports, butt hurt, arrogant, egocentric, and intolerant people. They have greater ability at correctly spelling "civility" than applying it.

Some just aren't happy unless they are seething with hate for others. Even a great, epic, and a tremendously momentum building Sooner victory doesn't seem to deter the hatred. They seem eaten up with themselves and have an overwhelming yearning to trash out others. Why? Just because one expresses an opinion that they embrace as a personal affront against their own perspective. I would imagine that would be hard for most posters to fathom.

Boomer Sooner

"Hatred"?? Really????

mike,

Boomer Sooner

I know what you're saying but remember those posters you speak of took flaming players and coaches for 3 years. And you can bet your back side if ou Lose either of last two games those same ones you are protecting would be crowing.

It was absolutely a great win Plaino. I've never been one to make injuries into excuses, whether it's for or against OU. Injuries are just part of the game. Sometimes they work for you. Sometimes they work against you. It's just part of the game and it's just a dice roll week to week. Having said that, I'm not going to take anything away from Mike and his defense for an absolutely brilliant performance the other night. Baylor lost their starting QB, and as far as I'm concerned, that's just the way it goes. So at the same time, I'm not going to make excuses for Mike (or OU in general) when injuries work against them. Not having depth is on them. Period.

And since you brought up the RRR....I will say that Mike's defense that day was horrible. It wasn't the reason for the loss, and I've never said that it was. But even so, it was pretty damn concerning the lack of adjustments on the field that day. Teddy Lehman himself said it was one of the worst coaching jobs he had ever seen from a Mike Stoops coached defense. He said it was as if Mike had fallen asleep in the booth and wasn't watching the game. Thankfully the Texas offense is beyond incompetent, or the score likely could have been worse. But the biggest positive from the RRR game is the offense has grown by leaps and bounds and is now absolutely lethal.

I know you love to give complete immunity to coaches from any and all responsibility when things on the field go badly, yet oddly enough after games last night you are one of the first ones blowing your horn about what a great staff OU has and was the reason for such a huge win. So your stance is, players get blame in losses, and coaches reap the rewards in wins. And it's funny you have called me a fool (and other names) for not going along with that type of mentality. Sorry, but I have a more open minded approach when deciding blame after piss poor performances in football games. And there is usually blame for players, as well as coaches when OU decides not to show up for a game and get's their asses handed to them.

"Who said Coach Stoops better win or else???" Wait for it...
Why does another's opinion on a message board that presumably advocates diversity of thought expressed civilly seem to bother you so?

As intuitive and intelligent as you definitely are, I would think you might be more supportive, tolerant and understanding of the forum goals. I don't believe the true intent of this site was to be/become a "homer" board.

Am I just being obtuse? Am I simply wrong?

Boomer Sooner

I know what you're saying but remember those posters you speak of took flaming players and coaches for 3 years. And you can bet your back side if ou Lose either of last two games those same ones you are protecting would be crowing.
And clearly much of that flaming was confirmed to be justified as Bob has fired and/or replaced virtually his entire staff the last few seasons. (except Cale Gundy of course)

Well that W/L column reflects some great reasons why the fans were unhappy. 8-5 is not the gold standard for OU football. I think you fail to remember how pathetic some of those games were the past 3 years. When the Sooners play football, it's going to be discussed and on this board as well. Most of the conversation on this board reflects what transpires on the field. Some just can't deal with this. They don't have the personality that fits this type of open forum.

So I ask you, were you satisfied w/ the butt whipping Baylor administered last year? Were you OK w/ losing like shit to Clemson? I wasn't. Both of those games sucked the chrome off a hitch ball. As such, it will be discussed. There was nothing on this board but good comments after last night's victory. Why? Because of the play on the field. If you and others can't handle the conversation, then perhaps y'all should just stay off the board until you do.

Why does another's opinion on a message board that presumably advocates diversity of thought expressed civilly seem to bother you so?

As intuitive and intelligent as you definitely are, I would think you might be more supportive, tolerant and understanding of the forum goals. I don't believe the true intent of this site was to be/become a "homer" board.

Am I just being obtuse? Am I simply wrong?

Boomer Sooner

Neither...I think. I believe you're making an incorrect assumption about my post.

Historically, after comments like the aforementioned by Mike are made far too regularly, the question I quoted is asked. I was simply being proactive, in a sarcastic sort of way.

And I believe you already KNOW I'm tolerant and supportive of the forum's goals.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
It's a stinkin' message board mike for civilly expressed opinions - those you agree with and those of which you disagree. Why do some here seem to lack the needed patience and tolerance to live and let live? It has become, for some, a forum to show their despicable disdain for the personality and thoughts of others.

You're a mod. Your job, I would think, is to protect the integrity and viability of this site. One can and should be able to, at a minimum, express themselves without attacking another OU fan's character and intellect. This board, according to the rules I've read, is to protect posters from the unnecessary and flagrant abuses from another.

Boomer Sooner

Neither...I think. I believe you're making an incorrect assumption about my post.

Historically, after comments like the aforementioned by Mike are made far too regularly, the question I quoted is asked. I was simply being proactive, in a sarcastic sort of way.

And I believe you already KNOW I'm tolerant and supportive of the forum's goals.
ST,

Your civility is greatly respected. I accept your assertion that I am making an incorrect assumption(s) about your previous post. I have my faults.

Boomer Sooner

It's a stinkin' message board mike for civilly expressed opinions - those you agree with and those of which you disagree. Why do some here seem to lack the needed patience and tolerance to live and let live? It has become, for some, a forum to show their despicable disdain for the personality and thoughts of others.

You're a mod. Your job, I would think, is to protect the integrity and viability of this site. One can and should be able to, at a minimum, express themselves without attacking another OU fan's character and intellect. This board, according to the rules I've read, is to protect posters from the unnecessary and flagrant abuses from another.

Boomer Sooner

Well, let me ask you, should some posters be banned in this very tread for personal attacks? I'm just curious. Deserved or not should a poster be called stupid or idiot be allowed to continue to post here? Just want to know your opinion on this.

Well, let me ask you, should some posters be banned in this very tread for personal attacks? I'm just curious. Deserved or not should a poster be called stupid or idiot be allowed to continue to post here? Just want to know your opinion on this.
mike,

First, you have an extremely difficult task moderating this board. You deserve immense credit for accepting such a challenge.

If a "warning system" is used, most potential bannings can be avoided. Some here are emboldened to cause much trouble with their egregious behaviors because they don't apparently receive "warnings" to bring about needed reform. The posters receiving a consequence will either either use it to grow as a valued poster or go the "dinosaur" route and become forum extinct.

I personally believe such a warning system potentially followed with an occasional and applicable temporary ban would curb the prevalent abuses we now are experiencing. Posting styles will conform to what is desired by administration if a real and appropriate consequence is on the table.

Boomer Sooner

If you banned posters for personal attacks then there would be very few left here including yourself.
I respectfully disagree. Much like Christianity, this board would grow exponentially with a proper effort and a respected and tolerant approach towards growth.

Boomer Sooner

It was absolutely a great win Plaino. I've never been one to make injuries into excuses, whether it's for or against OU. Injuries are just part of the game. Sometimes they work for you. Sometimes they work against you. It's just part of the game and it's just a dice roll week to week. Having said that, I'm not going to take anything away from Mike and his defense for an absolutely brilliant performance the other night. Baylor lost their starting QB, and as far as I'm concerned, that's just the way it goes. So at the same time, I'm not going to make excuses for Mike (or OU in general) when injuries work against them. Not having depth is on them. Period.

And since you brought up the RRR....I will say that Mike's defense that day was horrible. It wasn't the reason for the loss, and I've never said that it was. But even so, it was pretty damn concerning the lack of adjustments on the field that day. Teddy Lehman himself said it was one of the worst coaching jobs he had ever seen from a Mike Stoops coached defense. He said it was as if Mike had fallen asleep in the booth and wasn't watching the game. Thankfully the Texas offense is beyond incompetent, or the score likely could have been worse. But the biggest positive from the RRR game is the offense has grown by leaps and bounds and is now absolutely lethal.

I know you love to give complete immunity to coaches from any and all responsibility when things on the field go badly, yet oddly enough after games last night you are one of the first ones blowing your horn about what a great staff OU has and was the reason for such a huge win. So your stance is, players get blame in losses, and coaches reap the rewards in wins. And it's funny you have called me a fool (and other names) for not going along with that type of mentality. Sorry, but I have a more open minded approach when deciding blame after piss poor performances in football games. And there is usually blame for players, as well as coaches when OU decides not to show up for a game and get's their asses handed to them.

That is well and good to say that you consider injuries to not be allowed as excuses. The thing is, for you, 8-5 is a deplorable result, despite the fact in the decade before he arrived, his worst season of the 21st century was better than all but three seasons. None in the previous five.

For you, OUr number two guy should be as good as OUr number one, and it just doesn't work that way. Lose your best receiver? You think that shouldn't matter. You give no credit to the talent of the other guys. We're OU. We should be better. That might have been the case when it was Nebrasa and OU and everybody else was a notch below, but it's not the way it is now.

You don't understand the narrow difference between winning and losing and game day, because you're entitled.

You play and prepare without excuses. But you sometimes get beat, when you're missing key guys. If you think that having a true freshman at quarterback, rather than Russell last night, didn't have an impact on Baylor's offense, didn't make a difference, then you don't understand. Who plays is what matters.

You can sometimes overcome it. If you don't, it's a reason, not an excuse. You get ready and play hard and smart. But sometimes you still get beat.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
That is well and good to say that you consider injuries to not be allowed as excuses. The thing is, for you, 8-5 is a deplorable result, despite the fact in the decade before he arrived, his worst season of the 21st century was better than all but three seasons. None in the previous five.

For you, OUr number two guy should be as good as OUr number one, and it just doesn't work that way. Lose your best receiver? You think that shouldn't matter. You give no credit to the talent of the other guys. We're OU. We should be better. That might have been the case when it was Nebrasa and OU and everybody else was a notch below, but it's not the way it is now.

You don't understand the narrow difference between winning and losing and game day, because you're entitled.

You play and prepare without excuses. But you sometimes get beat, when you're missing key guys. If you think that having a true freshman at quarterback, rather than Russell last night, didn't have an impact on Baylor's offense, didn't make a difference, then you don't understand. Who plays is what matters.

You can sometimes overcome it. If you don't, it's a reason, not an excuse. You get ready and play hard and smart. But sometimes you still get beat.
I don't believe Baylor skipped a beat with Stidham at QB. He was every bit as composed as Russell, was as accurate as Russell, was protected as well as Russell, and is a very good runner as Russell. He almost pulled it off with those intangibles. He's gonna be a great QB for BU.

I believe one of the major keys - if not the most - to us winning yesterday was knowing Stidham would likely not run due to their lack of QB depth. That proved, IMHO, to be the fatal difference for BU.

Boomer Sooner

That is well and good to say that you consider injuries to not be allowed as excuses. The thing is, for you, 8-5 is a deplorable result, despite the fact in the decade before he arrived, his worst season of the 21st century was better than all but three seasons. None in the previous five..
What happened before Bob Stoops arrived is completely irrelevant. Let me ask you a hypothetical question since you brought it up.......if Bob Stoops went 8-5 every season for the next 10 years, would you still support him basing it on how bad OU football was in the decade before he arrived?? You seem to love to conjure up memories of the worst era of OU football. The error in that way of thinking, is that era is NOT what the tradition of OU football was built on. OU football should be about striving to WIN. NOT making decisions because you are afraid to LOSE. Plaino, your way of thinking is like a coach who goes to a prevent defense with 3min left in the game with a 2 point lead.

For you, OUr number two guy should be as good as OUr number one, and it just doesn't work that way. Lose your best receiver? You think that shouldn't matter. You give no credit to the talent of the other guys. We're OU. We should be better. That might have been the case when it was Nebrasa and OU and everybody else was a notch below, but it's not the way it is now. .
I put the important part in bold, because if you have heard enough Bob Stoops press conferences, then you would know that he feels that way about the OU football program. I specifically remember him a couple of years ago making mention that 10 win seasons don't cut it at a program like OU. So ya know what, if the OU head coach feels that way about the program, then you damn right I'm gonna mirror that kind of confidence and expectation. But Plaino, don't blame me, or try to lecture me if you are happy and content with 8 win seasons.
And funny you mention OU losing it's best WR last year and the offense grinding to a halt. Yes that happened, and the result was a GLARING situation where OU had zero depth behind Shepard to pick up the slack. OU had recruited all that WR talent year after year, and here they were with really no viable option after Shepard was lost. Ya know what that falls on Plaino....coaching!!!! And if you don't agree, then take it up with Bob since he fired Norvell at the end of the season. It seemed pretty obvious to Bob. Why are you having such a problem seeing the obvious Plaino??

You don't understand the narrow difference between winning and losing and game day, because you're entitled. .
Well ya know...that's kinda the history of OU fans isn't it. But hey, do you also think Bob Stoops has an "entitled" mentality because he realized that even 10 win seasons don't cut it at a place like OU?? You seem to want to hold OU fans who don't agree with you to a different standard than the head coach of OU seems to want to encourage. Plaino, why aren't you able to encourage what the OU coach wants to encourage?? Why are you actively trying to encourage a mentality that falls below the standards that Bob Stoops himself has publicly stated??

You play and prepare without excuses. But you sometimes get beat, when you're missing key guys. If you think that having a true freshman at quarterback, rather than Russell last night, didn't have an impact on Baylor's offense, didn't make a difference, then you don't understand. Who plays is what matters..
So what you are saying is you are trying to take away from OUs win last night?? Why else would you be going out of your way to say Baylor was playing a true freshman when OU played them?? Plaino....stop making excuses for Baylor.

Yep sometimes you just get beat. No coach is ever going to win them all. But one thing that separates you from a man like Bob Stoops....is Bob can take accountability after games they get beaten. Many times Bob has flat out admitted they got outcoached. Oddly enough Plaino, that goes against your theory that players either make plays or they don't. At least Bob is man enough to stand at the podium and allocate blame where it is needed.....and he doesn't exclude himself. Oddly though Plaino, is you think Bob Stoops is infallible and/or immune from responsibility or accountability for what happens on the field.

Plaino, let me know if you have any more softballs you wanna lob up for me to crush.

Being a former crack smoker myself, I would like to know who accused you of smoking crack? I know I didn't, yet I'm not surprised that you took it that way.

Billy Ray, have you ever coached anything?

Ever coached it well? Well, pretty sure that answer two would be a big no. You really don't understand. And you wouldn't know softball if it knocked you down.

Players make plays, or they don't. The key offensive play of the night wasn't about Mayfield making a great, great play.

Billy Ray, have you ever coached anything?

Ever coached it well? Well, pretty sure that answer two would be a big no. You really don't understand. And you wouldn't know softball if it knocked you down.

Players make plays, or they don't. The key offensive play of the night wasn't about Mayfield making a great, great play.
This is the best response you can come up with??? Let me know when you come up with a legit response as to why you think your opinion is right, and Bob Stoops is wrong.

You're right...I don't understand how you can believe the things you promote. It's like trying to reason with a person who loves Obama and their only response is "well, have you ever been president?? You don't understand".

I don't believe Baylor skipped a beat with Stidham at QB. He was every bit as composed as Russell, was as accurate as Russell, was protected as well as Russell, and is a very good runner as Russell. He almost pulled it off with those intangibles. He's gonna be a great QB for BU.

I believe one of the major keys - if not the most - to us winning yesterday was knowing Stidham would likely not run due to their lack of QB depth. That proved, IMHO, to be the fatal difference for BU.

Boomer Sooner

I'm sure Briles has had to simplify the playbook for Stidham. He doesn't have the experience that allows him to consistently get to his 2nd or 3rd read or read defenses as well as someone with more experience. He did TRY running, but when he did...it HURT! :)

His QBR was around 50 and while the kid is good and does have a lot of potential, he got a rude welcome to D1 football and a good defense last night.

This is the best response you can come up with??? Let me know when you come up with a legit response as to why you think your opinion is right, and Bob Stoops is wrong.

Given the actual history in this "debate", if you can call it that, I actually chuckled at this one.

Boomer Sooner

He throws as well as Russell, but as I've said before, if you watched Baylor with Russell at quarterback, you would have seen an added dimension to their offense with the quarterback running game. Briles has obviously taken the quarterback run plays out of the game plan, either because he doesn't have a serviceable backup or it isn't in Stidham's wheel house. I believe it's the former. Russell ran for over 160 yards against West Virginia, over 80 against Tech, and had over 60 when he got hurt against Iowa State. You can't argue with those numbers.

after reading all these comments about Stidham and his inexperience, I just want to remind everyone that it's a good thing that he was a freshman & that Briles wouldn't run him etc, because he also put up 34 pts on our defense. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT