ADVERTISEMENT

I Have Answers...

Senior Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 1, 2003
This writer sums up some of our concerns in 3 Short Paragraphs, but that doesn't, and shouldn't, take our Recreational 'Bob Bashing' away from us...That will continue until next week, when we have a new game to cuss, and discuss...

Nothing will change the outcome of today's game...Nothing new will be reported...Same info', worded differently, or simply repeated, but we will all continue to try to find ways to accept that which we dislike so much. Some say, 'Get used to it, that's the way it's going to be'. What's the option?

http://www.chatsports.com/oklahoma-...lahomas-hc-bob-stoops-cant-win-big-game-23052

This writer sums up some of our concerns in 3 Short Paragraphs, but that doesn't, and shouldn't, take our Recreational 'Bob Bashing' away from us...That will continue until next week, when we have a new game to cuss, and discuss...

Nothing will change the outcome of today's game...Nothing new will be reported...Same info', worded differently, or simply repeated, but we will all continue to try to find ways to accept that which we dislike so much. Some say, 'Get used to it, that's the way it's going to be'. What's the option?

http://www.chatsports.com/oklahoma-...lahomas-hc-bob-stoops-cant-win-big-game-23052
Wow did that article just say Stoops might be out of a job? This has been a big no no around here to even mention such a thing. There comes a point where we have to ask ourselves if we are satisfied with 9 - 10 win seasons and no championships.

Wow did that article just say Stoops might be out of a job? This has been a big no no around here to even mention such a thing. There comes a point where we have to ask ourselves if we are satisfied with 9 - 10 win seasons and no championships.

Barkingwater, do you want Stoops gone? Just asking.

Well we won't be winning any championships this year. That much is all but certain.

And 10 wins (not counting a bowl win) now looks like a real, real uphill battle. Baylor and TCU are both going to hand us our @ss.

This is an important season for Stoops and his staff. Today's loss hurts, but if they win the rest of the games they're supposed to win, that should keep the natives quiet enough to get him at least another year or two.

Barkingwater, do you want Stoops gone? Just asking.
I know it sounds crazy 22, but I think at some point we are going to have to ask ourselves that question. Its been 5 years since we have won a conference championship and I don't see us sniffing a national championship anytime soon. We are turning in the Georgia of the big 12 and I'm pretty sure Richt is in big trouble right now because the fans have had enough. How many times do we have to be embarrassed on national television before we start to bring up that possibility?

It's been less than 5 years. I asked the question because today I watched the pitiful Cornhuskers lose another one in the final minute (to Wisconsin) and was thinking that when they got rid of Frank Solich, they never recovered ...and it has gotten worse.

I hope Bob stays around for many more years and wins championships. That seems a distant dream right now. But maybe OU would cause permanent damage by letting him go, which would be an injustice in my opinion. Bob Stoops is well respected, and would find a job in 30 seconds at another major university.

I know it sounds crazy 22, but I think at some point we are going to have to ask ourselves that question. Its been 5 years since we have won a conference championship and I don't see us sniffing a national championship anytime soon. We are turning in the Georgia of the big 12 and I'm pretty sure Richt is in big trouble right now because the fans have had enough. How many times do we have to be embarrassed on national television before we start to bring up that possibility?

BW, I know how you feel, but who in the heck would you think OU could hire better than Bob Stoops? Really? I'm not trying to be a smartass. It's a question that I have pondered myself and I can't think of any other coach that I would rather have.....that OU would be successful hiring. Every single coach that I think may be a better choice has already got a great job and doing well. Yes, I am think of the best of the best...because we would be replacing one of the best. But like many, I have wondered if Bob is ever going to win another natty at OU. I can't help wondering.

It's been less than 5 years. I asked the question because today I watched the pitiful Cornhuskers lose another one in the final minute (to Wisconsin) and was thinking that when they got rid of Frank Solich, they never recovered ...and it has gotten worse.

I hope Bob stays around for many more years and wins championships. That seems a distant dream right now. But maybe OU would cause permanent damage by letting him go, which would be an injustice in my opinion. Bob Stoops is well respected, and would find a job in 30 seconds at another major university.
Well I can't say I blame them for getting rid of Solich. I mean the guy was decent but he was no Osborne. As for Stoops, I know it is highly unlikely he will be going anywhere. It just seems that year after year we say the same things....give him another year. Next year we should be a lot better. Yadda yadda yadda. Can we do that forever? I just don't know if Bob is the answer anymore and I'm not sure he can bring us to the promise land once again. I don't think we can have the mentality of being afraid to get rid of Stoops because of what MIGHT happen. We also MIGHT get someone better.

Better presentation than my reply to BW's post.

BW, I know how you feel, but who in the heck would you think OU could hire better than Bob Stoops? Really? I'm not trying to be a smartass. It's a question that I have pondered myself and I can't think of any other coach that I would rather have.....that OU would be successful hiring. Every single coach that I think may be a better choice has already got a great job and doing well. Yes, I am think of the best of the best...because we would be replacing one of the best. But like many, I have wondered if Bob is ever going to win another natty at OU. I can't help wondering.
Bama you said yourself that you don't think OU will win another championship under Stoops. Well what do we have to lose then? Another 9 win season and a decent bowl game that we might or might not win? I'm not one to call for Stoops to be fired, but I'm also not going to be dead set against it. OU is bigger than any one coach.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Bob let Brent go and kept Mike. Big mistake. Bob let Johnny Manziel move him away from a fantastic offense and great QB's to a second tier run scared option offense. Big Mistake.
Bob delegates instead of coaches as he did in 1999,2000,2001, 2002 and 2003. Big mistake

I know, BW. It's a pitiful situation. I guess I'm getting too old to risk another long span of losing of the likes we had after Barry was run off and before Bob came to OU.

That was pretty much the Topic of our Patio Discussion this beautiful October evening...We griped, complained, whined, but in the end, agreed that Bob IS a good person, is well liked, respected, and represents well. Those are virtues, but do that compensate for that nagging question that most of us ask ourselves, and a few of us openly ask others, Will he ever put together a winning season, Big XII-NC kind of winning season, again? By all means, he has more positives, than negatives, but TONIGHT, his negatives are Huge. Winning, or Losing, the RRS often defines the season...I fear that may be the case with 2015 ...

I know, BW. It's a pitiful situation. I guess I'm getting too old to risk another long span of losing of the likes we had after Barry was run off and before Bob came to OU.

It's a moot point, that is Bob leaving OU.
Besides, who else ya gonna get? All your idols are staying put at Bama, Ohio St. and LSU? :cool:

Careful what you wish for guys.

You don't want to be that fabled dog that had a bone in his mouth, saw his reflection with the bone in the river, went after it and lost the actual bone he had in his mouth. Kerplunk!

I'll admit, I don't agonize over this like I once did. Perhaps I should, but I won't.

That was pretty much the Topic of our Patio Discussion this beautiful October evening...We griped, complained, whined, but in the end, agreed that Bob IS a good person, is well liked, respected, and represents well. Those are virtues, but do that compensate for that nagging question that most of us ask ourselves, and a few of us openly ask others, Will he ever put together a winning season, Big XII-NC kind of winning season, again? By all means, he has more positives, than negatives, but TONIGHT, his negatives are Huge. Winning, or Losing, the RRS often defines the season...I fear that may be the case with 2015 ...

Good post, Senior. Just because some of us (or probably, a lot of fans) question Bob's future value to the program doesn't mean we dislike him or don't wish him great success. But undoubtedly there are going to be those that feel we shouldn't be feeling the way we do, and I understand that as well. Bottom line, OU fans want to win more than 9, 10 or even 11 games a year. Unless its an 11-2 national championship team. But losing as a big favorite in a big game (like the RRR) doesn't do Bob any good, and he probably really understands that even though he doesn't show it. I wish he would sometimes.

Were there any single cougar types on the patio today that you care to share pics of Senior?

Good post, Senior. Just because some of us (or probably, a lot of fans) question Bob's future value to the program doesn't mean we dislike him or don't wish him great success. But undoubtedly there are going to be those that feel we shouldn't be feeling the way we do, and I understand that as well. Bottom line, OU fans want to win more than 9, 10 or even 11 games a year. Unless its an 11-2 national championship team. But losing as a big favorite in a big game (like the RRR) doesn't do Bob any good, and he probably really understands that even though he doesn't show it. I wish he would sometimes.
Mark Richt is an outstanding individual.....get my point

Mark Richt is an outstanding individual.....get my point

I get your point, BW, but do you have a few candidates you would like to share? Probably not, so that's my point. There aren't any better than Bob available, IMO. If there were then I might feel a lot differently. Good discussion though.

Reactions: iasooner1
Bob's fate will be decided by 2 things; first, the fan base and it's willingness to cough up the bucks for tickets, and second, the willingness of the big money boys to keep funding mediocrity.As these 8-4 seasons keep mounting and we are getting shellacked by the likes of Baylor, there will be a point when all the good will he has garnered won't keep the dogs at bay.

I get your point, BW, but do you have a few candidates you would like to share? Probably not, so that's my point. There aren't any better than Bob available, IMO. If there were then I might feel a lot differently. Good discussion though.
Bama there are a lot of good coaches out there that would jump at the chance. A few years ago many on this board said they weren't ready to call for Bob to go and that they would be willing to give him a few years to right the ship. Well a few years has come and gone and the ship isn't righted. Are we going to continue to give him a few more years just because we are afraid of what the alternative might be? We could be saying this same thing 5 years from now and be no better off. Of course Bob is a great coach but sometimes both parties just need a change. I bet if you asked Georgia fans that would say that should have gotten rid of Richt years ago. Bottom line is I personally just don't think Bob will ever get us back to the national championship game.

BW, I like talking Sooner football with you. You make your point in a good way. I'm going to think about all you've said tonight while having a well deserved Glenlivet night cap after a very disappointing day. Cheers and Boomer Sooner, friend.

BW, I like talking Sooner football with you. You make your point in a good way. I'm going to think about all you've said tonight while having a well deserved Glenlivet night cap after a very disappointing day. Cheers and Boomer Sooner, friend.
A very disappointing day indeed for all Sooner fans. I guess we are all just looking for answers. Boomer Sooner to you as well

Night cap! As you're getting ready to hit the hay? We've got tcu/kstate 35-31 in the 3rd, ok lite trying their best to blow it to wvu and bama/arky in a tight one. Utah is just barely underway. NO, no sir; unless you have to lead the choir in the early service the night is young my friend...

(Scratch bama/arky, bammers pulling away now)

Last edited:
Reactions: Senior Sooner
Night cap! As you're getting ready to hit the hay? We've got tcu/kstate 35-31 in the 3rd, ok lite trying their best to blow it to wvu and bama/arky in a tight one. Utah is just barely underway. NO, no sir; unless you have to lead the choir in the early service the night is young my friend...

(Scratch bama/arky, bammers pulling away now)

That's why our friend Bama lives in pricey South Tulsa...

"Early to bed, early to rise makes a man wealthy...":rolleyes:

Reactions: iasooner1
I think we need to see how the remainder of the season plays out before getting to worked up.

Texas was desperate and dangerous and had everything to win and nothing to lose in a rivalry game. I'm disappointed to see us, as a whole, go through the motions, but welcome to the world of sports.

Next week we find out what kind of mentality this team really has.

hope Bob stays around for many more years and wins championships.

Well any OU fan is hoping this. That's an easy answer to the question. But the real question is how long do you hope Bob stays around if he is NOT winning championships?

I'm not advocating running off Bob at the end of the season by any means. Just curious where the breaking point is for OU fans.

I wish I had the answer to that question but I do not. After the loss to Okie Lite last season and the embarrasing bowl loss to Clemson last year and what happened today with the whorns I wanted em all gone but that was anger speaking. What I would like to see is adjustments made when something is not working, I would like to see a new Def Coordinator brought in to fix the mess that we have now. I would like to see OU football again and hope the staff realizes that what is happening to our Sonners aint gonna cut it. Do your job, earn your pay and if you don't want to compete at the highest level then go to somewhere like okie lite or, I would say Baylor but that no longer applies as they are what we used to be, dang did I just say that? Anyway like I said I don't have an answer but I hope someone figures it out soon because the downward spiral needs to stop and soon. TCU and freakin Baylor are the powers of the big 12, 10, 9 or whatever we are and if that does not motivate them or piss them off then they need to go. Just my opinion. Shtt its been a long miserable day.

Reactions: barkingwater2000
Well any OU fan is hoping this. That's an easy answer to the question. But the real question is how long do you hope Bob stays around if he is NOT winning championships?

I'm not advocating running off Bob at the end of the season by any means. Just curious where the breaking point is for OU fans.
BR there are a number of fans that will wanna keep Bob around forever because they are afraid of who we might get if he leaves. They are satisfied with 10 win seasons and a bowl game. Some are even okay with 8 or 9 win seasons for a few years. Personally, I'm not satisfied with that anymore. Losing these big games has been going on for years now and it just seems like a big win is rare. We have come out flat for 3 years in a row against Texas now and I find that hard to believe. Is it the players? Coaches? I don't know what the answer is anymore.

BR there are a number of fans that will wanna keep Bob around forever because they are afraid of who we might get if he leaves.

I think this mindset that has set in since the John Blake years, is actually far worse for the program than the actual John Blake years were. Bob has won a national title and a heap of conference titles, so the mentality for some is we have to keep him around as long as he wants, seemingly regardless of how well or badly he does during any of those years because there is a morbid fear that the replacement could be another John Blake.

Let the ones that thought our staff had this team well prepared today and made adjustments at the half commensurate with pay stand up and be heard. I heard some OU fans say texas was a dumpster fire before the game today, what does that make us? Just sayin.

I think this mindset that has set in since the John Blake years, is actually far worse for the program than the actual John Blake years were. Bob has won a national title and a heap of conference titles, so the mentality for some is we have to keep him around as long as he wants, seemingly regardless of how well or badly he does during any of those years because there is a morbid fear that the replacement could be another John Blake.
Joe C. is smart enough to not hire another John Blake. I could see that way of thinking if we were Virginia Tech, but we aren't. We are better than that and our program is bigger than any one coach.

I think we all lose a bit of a grasp on reality when the season starts and the boys are on the field every week. We beat a few bad teams and suddenly we're expecting more than what we had in mind in the off season.

Did anybody predict this group to win the conference or make the playoff? I don't recall it.

There's nothing happening on the field right now that wasn't discussed with rationality before we kicked off against Akron.

The offensive line isn't good. We knew it was replacing 4 starters.

The offense is inconsistent. We have a new coordinator and QB.

The defense has holes. We don't have a game changer on the line. Our game changer is an undersized linebacker who's a rush specialist. We have new coaches at several spot as well.

We can get better. This group has potential, but we're playing about as good as most expected and picked a bad game to have an off day.

I think we all lose a bit of a grasp on reality when the season starts and the boys are on the field every week. We beat a few bad teams and suddenly we're expecting more than what we had in mind in the off season.

Did anybody predict this group to win the conference or make the playoff? I don't recall it.

There's nothing happening on the field right now that wasn't discussed with rationality before we kicked off against Akron.

The offensive line isn't good. We knew it was replacing 4 starters.

The offense is inconsistent. We have a new coordinator and QB.

The defense has holes. We don't have a game changer on the line. Our game changer is an undersized linebacker who's a rush specialist. We have new coaches at several spot as well.

We can get better. This group has potential, but we're playing about as good as most expected and picked a bad game to have an off day.
We just lost to the worst team Texas has had in years. They had only won 1 game and had been blown out twice. I think winning this game is well within a reasonable expectation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT