ADVERTISEMENT

How many points will we have to score against Clemson?

Playing for a championship at Clemson is rare and we are humbled by the opportunity and hope it goes well

No, we get that, and I certainly don't want to quash any more give and take before the game.
My comments were measured and well thought out, and by no means was I trying to denigrate your team and its considerable accomplishments.
You all should be there, you've earned it.

If that makes you feel better, okay.

OU beat Tulsa, who is statistically closest to Clemson's offense, in week 3. They had everyone playing then. We also rolled them.

We also beat #2 total offense Texas Tech with their best on the field. Guess what? Rolled them too.

Well there you have it. A 6-6 Tulsa team's offense is apparently comparable to Clemson's offense. OU "rolled" Tulsa and subsequently won by 14 points. ....and then OU "rolled" a 7-5 Texas Tech team.

Reactions: rogue booster
Well there you have it. A 6-6 Tulsa team's offense is apparently comparable to Clemson's offense. OU "rolled" Tulsa and subsequently won by 14 points. ....and then OU "rolled" a 7-5 Texas Tech team.

The comparison were team stats, because your homeboy stated "Oklahoma is about to face, by FAR, the best defense they have faced all year. Not my opinion; it's just NCAA statistics."

Clemson is about to face, by FAR, the best offense they have faced all year. Not my opinion, it's just NCAA statistics.

Reactions: iasooner1
The comparison were team stats, because your homeboy stated "Oklahoma is about to face, by FAR, the best defense they have faced all year. Not my opinion; it's just NCAA statistics."

Clemson is about to face, by FAR, the best offense they have faced all year. Not my opinion, it's just NCAA statistics.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Clemson is about to face, by FAR, the best offense its faced all year because you rolled Tulsa (14 pt margin) and TT. Two schools that haven't won much, but have great stats. I also think the 13 point East Carolina (5-7) win over Tulsa and your loss to TX (5-7) were simply aberrations.

Last edited:
35! I would normally go lower. History says that spread O's struggle after a long layoff but we have evolved into a power-spread offense that is less finesse and more down hill. I think Clemson will score between 24-31.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Clemson is about to face, by FAR, the best offense its faced all year because you rolled Tulsa (14 pt margin) and TT. Two schools that haven't won much, but have great stats. I also think the 13 point East Carolina (5-7) win over Tulsa was simply an aberration.

And that #58 overall North Carolina State team that hung 41 on your stifling defense. Or that powerhouse Syracuse team you barely beat. Or your hated South Carolina rivals that apparently suck but you only beat by 5 points.

And that #58 overall North Carolina State team that hung 41 on your stifling defense. Or that powerhouse Syracuse team you barely beat. Or your hated South Carolina rivals that apparently suck but you only beat by 5 points.

Hey brother, you're preaching to the choir. I know right? Clemson's schedule was not impressive. Beating 3 teams currently in the top 10 is not necessarily such a big deal with those 3 teams you mentioned above also on the schedule. Tell me, what you consider OU's best wins this year? ...oh and by the way. So what if they were backup qbs, right? That position is overrated IYAM. A win is a win!

Hey brother, you're preaching to the choir. I know right? Clemson's schedule was not impressive. Beating 3 teams currently in the top 10 is not necessarily such a big deal. Tell me, what you consider OU's best wins this year?

LOL. Who cares what I think? Here's what vegas thinks:

clemou.png

LOL. Who cares what I think? Here's what vegas thinks:

clemou.png

You are on a roll, and correct again! It matters not how well vegas picked the Clemson OU game last year. They didn't miss it THAT badly, amirite? I'm scared as a previous OU poster ITT correctly theorized.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2C Sooner
You are on a roll, and correct again! It matters not how well vegas picked the Clemson OU game last year. They didn't miss it THAT badly. I am very pessimistic about Clemson's chances in this game. Actually I'm scared as a previous OU poster ITT correctly theorized.

Clemson fans give up when their noise is ignored...

I don't think so. Respectful, not scared.

Here's a question for you:
Oklahoma is about to face, by FAR, the best defense they have faced all year. Not my opinion; it's just NCAA statistics.

Could you not logically conclude that your offensive output will be one of, if not THE, lowest offensive outputs this year?

We fired on OC whose offenses averaged 40+ points per game every year. We kept a DC whose defenses gave up 35 per game every year. Well, except this year when he moved from the sidelines which led to him knowing how to coach again. Bottom line, Stats mean nothing.

We played 10 straight weeks and at points we were just thinking a win was a win. We played to our competition toward the end.
The SC game was a much greater margin but turnovers let them back in, plus they had a score at the very end when it was over.
The NC game too was a 15 point margin with 2 minutes left. I think NC is very good but more like top 20.
Clemson absolutely controlled ND and almost went up 28-3 before they mounted their comeback. We controlled the los against a top 5 OL and shut down the run.
We took an early shot against FSU and prolly the best RB in the country went wild on us, but we beat them by 10. I think FSU and ND are absolutely top 10 teams.
Here's some research for you guys. When is the last time that a team with our awful turnover margin (I believe we are ranked in the 50's) made it this far? If we don't turn it over we are tough.
It will be a good game. I though Oklahoma was not a top team until the Ok state game. Dominant win.

Both teams are very good and deserving to be playing and yes my name is Captain Obvious. I do not buy into stats and metrics as much as some others because if you know enough about one or both you can "create" and advantage. To me it is simple for OU as they have two jobs: can they make Clemson QB one dimensional and can they impose their will running the ball? If they do one they may not necessarily need to do the other but I see those as the leverage points. Last year's matchup means nothing as too much has changed with coaching personnel, players, scheme, etc. I feel good about OU winning the game as I am sure most Tigers fans do. I look forward to the game.... I am still considering my score prediction.

We fired on OC whose offenses averaged 40+ points per game every year. We kept a DC whose defenses gave up 35 per game every year. Well, except this year when he moved from the sidelines which led to him knowing how to coach again. Bottom line, Stats mean nothing.

Wrong.
Stats absolutely matter, but they only tell a part (often a very important part) of a team's performance.

Well, it's pretty apparent that the fans aren't going to be able to come to a consensus on who wins this game. I guess they're going to have to go ahead and tee it up to decide who plays for the championship. Based upon what happened last year, I just hope OUr guys make the trip. I was really hoping we could just work it out here on this message board so we could avoid all that violence. What happened to the whole diplomacy thing? What a world we live in.

Well, it's pretty apparent that the fans aren't going to be able to come to a consensus on who wins this game. I guess they're going to have to go ahead and tee it up to decide who plays for the championship. Based upon what happened last year, I just hope OUr guys make the trip. I was really hoping we could just work it out here on this message board so we could avoid all that violence. What happened to the whole diplomacy thing? What a world we live in.

Yep, it's a wonderful time to be alive. :D

Vegas has us at a 3.5 favorite at this posting. They are talking over\under at 65.5, which tells me the betting line will be who ever scores 33 or so will win. I think this game could go a lot lower. I'm seeing more a 24-21 type game.

Both offenses are going to be rusty after a 4+ week layoff. I hope I'm wrong, at least on OU's part.

What you think....High or low?
This is going to be a fun game to watch. OU gives me some concerns but Clemson thrives on being the underdog. Best of luck guys, hope you all enjoy the game win or lose!

I like you guys! You pull for your team without being an a+++ole about it! SUCH a nice change from trying to talk to Gamecock fans! THAT bunch is the stupidest and most delusional BY FAR of any that we play.
Overall, you are good guys and have a very good team. Praying no one on either side gets injured in this one! This is gonna b a fun one, and much closer than last year.

I like you guys! You pull for your team without being an a+++ole about it! SUCH a nice change from trying to talk to Gamecock fans! THAT bunch is the stupidest and most delusional BY FAR of any that we play.
Overall, you are good guys and have a very good team. Praying no one on either side gets injured in this one! This is gonna b a fun one, and much closer than last year.

Thanks Free...we'd like to believe we've acquired a little class along the way in rooting for what a lot of people think is the single greatest D-1 program in the modern era. (since WW2)

It's not how you act when you lose that defines you...it's how you act when you win that does.
Self effacing humility is the way we like to be.
Sure, we have some wombat, cretins that will be dick heads no matter what, but they are few and far between, little consolation that all the programs have that element either.:cool:

Ha! My favorite thing, (time allowing) is to break down a game and see who made their assignments & who didn't. I love to watch in slow mo the way Deshaun plays with defenses. Incredibly smart player LOADED with talent & athletic ability....

Ha! My favorite thing, (time allowing) is to break down a game and see who made their assignments & who didn't. I love to watch in slow mo the way Deshaun plays with defenses. Incredibly smart player LOADED with talent & athletic ability....

I used to do that a lot more, but don't take the time like I used to. Plaino does it a lot, you two would get along famously I would think. It comes in handy when you find yourself defending a coach for bad playcalling or having a swiss cheese defense when you can see execution failure after execution failure. Well, that assumes you're dealing with someone that's willing to listen and learn. Thankfully, that's the majority here.

One of the issues I always had with Coach V's defense was how complicated it was. It's designed to fool the best QBs in college football and does, when it's executed properly. However, it also seemed to have a steep learning curve for players and when our back 7 was heavy in underclassmen we gave up a lot of big plays. When we had injuries, the learning curve was more apparent. Once we had some experience back there, we had some of our best defenses since the Switzer era.

I noticed that you guys only have one Sophomore in the starting back 7. Would explain the success you've had, based on the above. Haven't watched Clemson much this year at all, is BV still running a lot of read/cover defenses?

Coach V does some amazing stuff. Very smart guy. Actually, his stuff isn't as confusing as Kevin Steele's was, but part of our problem back then was our secondary coach, Harrison. Steele moved from Bama to LSU this year, and their defense saw a noticeable drop. If Miles doesn't replace Steele, he'll be gone, watch my words.
I love the way V will bring corner blitzes from the QBs blind side. He just does some neat stuff.

Coach V does some amazing stuff. Very smart guy. Actually, his stuff isn't as confusing as Kevin Steele's was, but part of our problem back then was our secondary coach, Harrison. Steele moved from Bama to LSU this year, and their defense saw a noticeable drop. If Miles doesn't replace Steele, he'll be gone, watch my words.
I love the way V will bring corner blitzes from the QBs blind side. He just does some neat stuff.

Yeah, some of us here miss his mad scientist shtick.
His formations and blitzing schemes were genius, but as ST alluded to some of the underclassmen found them difficult to grasp and execute in real game time.
I'm glad and in a way not so glad he's working out so well with yous guys.:D

I'm pretty pumped to see this game. The backstory of the rematch make this game the best of the bowls, IMO.

I'm pretty pumped to see this game. The backstory of the rematch make this game the best of the bowls, IMO.

Oh yeah, the consensus is this Orange Bowl game is the most intriguing and most talked about game of the post season.

I only hope OUr Sooners can dot the Is and cross all the ts to win it. Talk about me being obnoxious!
Even my friends here might find me to be way over the top in the boasting...:D

It's OK, I can take it!

ADVERTISEMENT